Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Gravitom posted:

From what I'm reading a photo pass sometimes get's you free entry, sometimes it does and sometimes you just get in for your 3 songs. What is your experience with this?

Do you clear that with the publicist first or just go to the venue and hope for the best? If they don't give you free entry do they allow you to purchase entry even if the show is sold out?

Every time I have been sanctioned to shoot the whole event my name has been on the list and they just let me in and give me a staff wristband. Every time I have been sanctioned to shoot a limited portion of the event my name has been on the list and they give me a wristband and then I am directed to speak to whoever is in charge of dealing with media people at the event, and then the person will explain how they run things.

I wouldn't stress too much over this stuff, if the people you are shooting for are half decent at what they do, this will be easy. Hard part is getting access to the lighting guys before the show to find out what their plan is for the event, and to get spotlight WB #s etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

HPL posted:

Isn't it kind of hard to get social pics when you're outside the building?
You get there early and grab shots of people in the lobby before they go into the show. I hate social pics.

I don't mind shooting shows for free as long as I'm able to stay for the whole thing, but having to do social pics and then shoot from the booth for three songs isn't really a good deal.

In Sydney there's so many live music photographers happy to shoot for free that it's pretty much impossible to get paid for it unless it's a corporate gig and you're being paid by the show's sponsor.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
And herein begins festival season for us Australians. Big Day Out tomorrow, with Kanye West, Royksopp, Odd Future, Girl Talk, Foster The People, Das Racist, Best Coast, The Vaccines, Mariachi El Bronx, Battles, Tony Hawk skating around and doing rad poo poo and motherfucking Soundgarden.

Of course, I'm expecting seperate photo releases for like, 50% of the lineup.

e: Contemplating taking my gimmicky 3D camera with some 800 speed colour film as well. Worth it?

e2: Also been loving around with some old stuff to be published in an annual soon.

SPLIT TONING YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
^Trash Talk supporting High On Fire (yeah I dunno). Sludge metalheads had no idea what the gently caress to expect with NYC hardcore coming on stage.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 21, 2012

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
How many of you are getting hit-up for doing music videos? I've been doing a lot of video work (mostly of bands at shows) to learn more about video and I've already got 3 potential bands looking to do music videos sometime soon in contrast to only a single band seeking promos (who ended up deciding that my rate was too high and going with a high-school girl who probably did it for free).

Anyone have any luck selling video services to bands?

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

psylent posted:

In Sydney there's so many live music photographers happy to shoot for free that it's pretty much impossible to get paid for it unless it's a corporate gig and you're being paid by the show's sponsor.

Absolutely agreed. Its the norm now to not be paid for work. Which is absolute bullshit. I really wish media places would be a little more selective with their shooters and pay them, rather than let everyone do everything for free (looking at you, FL... ). Perfect world, I guess :(

Anyone here get BDO accred? I'm still waiting to hear whether I get to shoot Röyksopp' sideshow at the Enmore.

Nilson fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 23, 2012

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Nilson posted:

Absolutely agreed. Its the norm now to not be paid for work. Which is absolute bullshit. I really wish media places would be a little more selective with their shooters and pay them, rather than let everyone do everything for free (looking at you, FL... ). Perfect world, I guess :(

Anyone here get BDO accred? I'm still waiting to hear whether I get to shoot Röyksopp' sideshow at the Enmore.

I work for a site that utilizes volunteer contribs but we're getting plans in order to start having paid positions. Not too bad considering we've only had advertising on the site for a few months.

Also, BDO owned. Soundgarden had the prettiest lights, Odd Future pit got closed a song and a half in because of crowd control issues, during Girl Talk and his stage invasion photographers were allowed on the platform in front of the stage to shoot, Tony Hawk pulled a 720 while Kanye sang Dark Fantasy, and Kanye's show is unfuckingbelievable. It's a shame he was 45 minutes late.

The only photo contracts that occured on the day were Noel Gallagher (shameless rights grab) and Kanye (surprisingly not, just that all photos are only to be used for your publication and not to be sold to another. No rights grab). I have a photo of the Kanye contract if any Aussie shooters are keen.

Also, Battles. Holy poo poo, Battles. Made me dance while in that stupid fluro vest and with all my gear during Atlas. Best set of the day, maybe tied with Ryoksopp.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

I, Butthole posted:

I work for a site that utilizes volunteer contribs but we're getting plans in order to start having paid positions. Not too bad considering we've only had advertising on the site for a few months.
Let me know if they're looking for any shooters in Sydney :)

BDO looked pretty amazing. I'm shooting Girl Talk this Saturday night - what should I expect?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

psylent posted:

I'm shooting Girl Talk this Saturday night - what should I expect?

sweat

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

psylent posted:

same here!!!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

BDO looked pretty amazing. I'm shooting Girl Talk this Saturday night - what should I expect?

Nilson posted:

same here!!!

Settle down dudes :P it's probably a ways away yet, and there's a bunch of contributors who are in line first for paid stuff; particularly in Sydney, let alone my town (Brisbane represent) and the rest of the country! As soon as it comes up I'll let you dudes know though.

Foster The People have some pretty fantastic lighting going on this tour as well. No idea if it was like this for BDO however:

lmbo the look on dat dudes face

e: My photos "re-edited" (read: SPLIT TONE FILTER ON EVERYTHING) here - http://hotel-bella-muerte.tumblr.com/ beware if you're shooting BDO and My Chemical Romance. Sent a request to take them down, so has the other photographer with stolen photos. No credit or anything. I loving hate tumblr.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 24, 2012

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Ugh, my Girl Talk pass fell through.

Thanks - I, Butthole. Definitely keep me in mind, I'm a bit over shooting for FL :)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

Ugh, my Girl Talk pass fell through.

Thanks - I, Butthole. Definitely keep me in mind, I'm a bit over shooting for FL :)

Will do! What happened with Girl Talk?

Also, Roger Waters. Holy poo poo. 6 songs to shoot, no contract, awesome lighting, and enough of a tease to make my pay $200 for a ticket for the next show.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

......JEALOUS! Looked awesome!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Nilson posted:

......JEALOUS! Looked awesome!

It was fantastic. Tickets ended up going on sale for $99 in all seating sections, so grabbed a few for the Saturday night show; can't wait. Do not miss it if you have a passing interest in Pink Floyd.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
Shot a big electronic music concert. Check out the shots here:

http://prints.photosbyboris.com/EDMEvents/ETD-Love-2012/21329709_2CjqRj

My 3 favorite shots are:

Evilkiksass fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 8, 2012

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
Wow, you guys have posted a whole lot of awesome lately.

I should dig up some festival stuff to post here that I don't think I ever got around to.

Anyways, promo stuff:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Evilkiksass posted:

ye gods man just link those monsters. Thumbnail links still have to load in full size before hand and they're massive! Also, Imgur means you aren't hotlinking.

Also, Psylent: Andrew WK is doing his one man show for Groovin' The Moo. I get to see Andrew WK FIVE TIMES, four at SXSW and a sideshow in Brisbane; maybe six if I can get to Maitland GTM. Love that dude.

Also, ATTN: US Shooters. DZ Deathrays are doing some cities in March, along with a SXSW trip. GET TO THIER SHOWS THEY ARE RAD DUDES AND PUT ON THE DANCIEST PUNK SHOW SINCE DEATH FROM ABOVE and are quite possibly better.

Anyhoo, Laneway Festival.

fuckin mic stand

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

I, Butthole posted:

ye gods man just link those monsters. Thumbnail links still have to load in full size before hand and they're massive! Also, Imgur means you aren't hotlinking.

cl.ly is a free file host. They allow hotlinking in the same manner that imgur does. I did not realise [timg] just resized the full image, I will go back and resize and edit my post in a minute.

Edit: could someone please tell me why me pics are horrible so I can improve please?

Evilkiksass fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 9, 2012

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Got a chance to play with a 24L and a 35L at a show tonight. They're from work but I have them for the weekend. All I can say is that I want them so bad. f/1.4 is a fickle mistress though

Honour Crest 2 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Honour Crest 1 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

two recent shots:

Portugal. The Man - Metro Theatre, Sydney by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

The Drums - Metro Theatre, Sydney by AsparayPhotos, on Flickr

Yay Laneway Sideshows! For those who don't get to shoot the actual festival. :arghfist:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
yeah well gently caress you guys with your portugal the man playing sideshows and laneway and poo poo.

Seriously, they just skipped Brisbane. gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

e: Who's shooting Soundwave? I skipped it this year to review it instead because gently caress walking around in 40 degree heat across the entire RNA showgrounds to shoot lovely screamo bands until the fun dudes come out and it's dark and cooler then but I can't be hosed watching anything because ITS BEEN TOO drat HOT ALL DAY

Gonna drink and chill to some Dillinger Escape Plan. Shame I can't shoot them but hey.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Seriously, they just skipped Brisbane. gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

yeah was a bit of a crap thing to do, skipping so many places Laneway was going to. I used to live up there a while back; even felt compelled to travel back to Sydney for a few gigs when I heard certain bands were skipping Brissy. My condolences :(

Am shooting Sydney Soundwave though :dance:. Still got to confirm Future Music... :ohdear:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got a chance at shooting GWAR next month, but honestly I'm half afraid to even do it; I'm not real keen on getting my gear (and me) soaked in fake blood and semen. Who here has shot them before, and is there a way to shoot these guys without wishing I'd brought a disposable camera?

Edit: Nevermind, they're only giving out one press pass anyway (per publication), and the writer says he can shoot it. I was about to pass anyway; from everything I can see there's just no way to do it without getting soaked.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 16, 2012

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

I love these two and think they at least equal your work from Soundwave last year, kudos man.

Since I've recently moved to a larger city for uni I've been wanting to get into some gig photography. Obviously initially I would shoot for free, but I don't know how to get in contact with bands/venues to allow me to do so.

Things I have: 5d mark II, a nifty fifty, 24-70mm, balls

Things this city doesn't have: a large amount of nightlife due to the city centre being mostly destroyed last February in a major earthquake.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Auditore posted:

I love these two and think they at least equal your work from Soundwave last year, kudos man.

Since I've recently moved to a larger city for uni I've been wanting to get into some gig photography. Obviously initially I would shoot for free, but I don't know how to get in contact with bands/venues to allow me to do so.

Things I have: 5d mark II, a nifty fifty, 24-70mm, balls

Things this city doesn't have: a large amount of nightlife due to the city centre being mostly destroyed last February in a major earthquake.

Thanks dude; whereabouts are you hanging out now? Is CW still a thing?

e: also, you should check out DZ when they swing through your town; if you're 18, that is. http://cheeseontoast.co.nz/2012/02/14/dz-deathrays-coming-to-nz-this-week/

As well as Ouch My Face http://weareouchmyfacedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/omf_nz_web.jpg

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 15, 2012

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

Thanks dude; whereabouts are you hanging out now? Is CW still a thing?

e: also, you should check out DZ when they swing through your town; if you're 18, that is. http://cheeseontoast.co.nz/2012/02/14/dz-deathrays-coming-to-nz-this-week/

As well as Ouch My Face http://weareouchmyfacedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/omf_nz_web.jpg

I didn't think you'd remember me! Na, kind of got ousted from CW/wasn't too interested so I am just here mostly now.

Thanks for the heads-up but unfortunately neither bands are headed to my town (Christchurch), although shooting the sort of music that DZ plays does interest me.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Auditore posted:

I didn't think you'd remember me! Na, kind of got ousted from CW/wasn't too interested so I am just here mostly now.

Thanks for the heads-up but unfortunately neither bands are headed to my town (Christchurch), although shooting the sort of music that DZ plays does interest me.

Make the effort to get to them. DZ are awesome.

e: Holy poo poo we just got the biggest and best offer in regards to SXSW. Got to submit a wishlist of gear totally over $16000 for equipment that we might get. Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 15, 2012

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Evilkiksass posted:

I would be extremely careful of posting photos on smugmug, especially with prints enabled. That is a big no-no with a lot of artists/promoters/venues without their permission.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Rukes posted:

I would be extremely careful of posting photos on smugmug, especially with prints enabled. That is a big no-no with a lot of artists/promoters/venues without their permission.

When I shoot these events, I am almost always shooting for the promoters, and my contract specifies that I can use all images for self promotion and print sales. Is this something I should expect to be an issue in the future? I have been working with a small set of clients and this has not come up as an issue with any of them. Also thank you for giving me some tips in the past via twitter. If you have any spare time to look through my photos and give critique I would really appreciate it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Rukes posted:

I try to remember to disable printing with SmugMug because it puts the big "buy" buttons on it but sometimes I forget. One time a record label guy got on my case that I was selling prints but then I pointed out to him that no one buys prints of indie bands so he could relax.

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Evilkiksass posted:

When I shoot these events, I am almost always shooting for the promoters, and my contract specifies that I can use all images for self promotion and print sales. Is this something I should expect to be an issue in the future? I have been working with a small set of clients and this has not come up as an issue with any of them.

As long as you have it in a contract, thats fine. Just as long as you get the ok ahead of time :) You will find some artists/managements will get pretty pissy about that sometimes, so just make sure you have your bases covered as you expand.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

Rukes posted:

As long as you have it in a contract, thats fine. Just as long as you get the ok ahead of time :) You will find some artists/managements will get pretty pissy about that sometimes, so just make sure you have your bases covered as you expand.

Thanks for your input! I will be sure to look out for this in the future with events I shoot. Any input on how to contact managers/artists to see if they need a photog when they are coming to my area?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Taking a step back a bit to shoot more local bands; I realised that for the past few months it's been nothing but international acts that I've been going for. So after the festival season dies down and I get back from the US (which is like, mid-May so it's a long term loving goal) I'll take a month or two off to shoot nothing but local shows in the dive bars around town.

It's fun using flash again!

i'm gay for black and white

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I have totally switched over to my NEX 5N for concerts. The camera is light, small and unobtrusive so it's great for just melting into the background plus people think it's a P&S or something so they don't get all weird like with a DSLR and big lens. The high ISO performance is excellent, at least a stop or two faster than my Canon 40D plus when there is noise, it's much more random. I used to have to use DxO FilmPack with my 40D to add film grain to help squash the pattern noise but now with the 5N the noise is fine as-is. Being able to run comfortably at 6400 is very liberating compared to only being able to resort to 3200 in emergencies.

So far I have been shooting largely with manual focus primes and the Sony 16mm f/2.8 with ultra-wide-angle converter(pushes it out to roughly 12mm). I can't wait until fast pancake primes start coming out in E-mount.

If they ever beef up the AF on the NEX 7, I would seriously consider switching completely over to NEX from EOS. The control scheme on the NEX 5N can be maddening what with all the menu digging to get things done like going from aperture to manual mode.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I got to shoot Eluveitie when they played with Children of Bodom at the Yost theater out here in Santa Ana for their 15th anniversary show. Placed was packed, and there weren't many places to go wander off and get different kinds of shots, so I ended up stuck in one place for the performance.

I hate ISO 3200 :argh:

Eluveitie-272

Eluveitie-373

Eluveitie-544

Eluveitie-381

I tried my hardest to get shots of everyone in the band, but ultimately couldn't because I couldn't move from my spot and the band members themselves seemed to have their own places on stage they never deviated from. I tried very hard to get a good shot of the drummer who was hidden away in the back, but these were the only shots I was able to get of him.

Eluveitie-579

Eluveitie-652

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

That last one of the drummer is a great shot!! :hfive:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Just as a headsup to any shooters covering Marilyn Manson in Aus, Soundwave just sent out an email that all professional photographers have been stricken off the guestlist. I wish there was a NEX body with a pancake 300mm 2.8 zoom.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I, Butthole posted:

I wish there was a NEX body with a pancake 300mm 2.8 zoom.
yeah, it's called a Pentax Q.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Just as a headsup to any shooters covering Marilyn Manson in Aus, Soundwave just sent out an email that all professional photographers have been stricken off the guestlist. I wish there was a NEX body with a pancake 300mm 2.8 zoom.

I would love to see that actually... I have visions of it being a mini Sigmonster-type lens.

Hm. drat, at least I still get to shoot a bit of it today at Soundwave. (I hope..? Anyone run into any issues in Brissy yesterday?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Nilson posted:

I would love to see that actually... I have visions of it being a mini Sigmonster-type lens.

Hm. drat, at least I still get to shoot a bit of it today at Soundwave. (I hope..? Anyone run into any issues in Brissy yesterday?)

I actually didn't shoot Soundwave yesterday, because it was literally hell on earth last year, so I just went to do a write up instead. Manson apparently came on five minutes late, did cocaine on stage, disappeared, came back with an oxygen mask and played three songs before finishing up. I was at Dillinger Escape Plan (take flash and go wild; singer is in the crowd within a minute of them starting, and their lights are ADD as gently caress) so it's all hearsay. Both Limp Bizket and Manson don't allow shooters during their sets.