Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AtraMorS posted:

Princeton.

I'm going to have to remember that next time I run across someone with a Princeton degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's called clown college for a reason.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

So, I knew about coservapedia in some vague way before reading this thread, but you people have exposed me to what is perhaps the worst use of the wiki model ever made. I though the ridiculously specific fandom wiki's were as bad as it got. How wrong I was.

So, I clicked random page to see what I could discover and came up with the page for dogs:

Conservapedia Dog Page posted:

Dogs are known for their loyalty, making them one of the most conservative pets. Dogs represent Real America; they are often found on farms in red states and not in cities, where liberal apartment rental agreements often prevent renters from having dogs. Dogs are an important part of family values, as the quintessential American family is often featured with a dog. Dogs also are often used to search out Muslim terrorists, serving America honorably in the army and police forces across the county.

Compared with lazy, entitled cats, dogs represent the epitome of a conservative animal. Historically, dogs earned their role in the home through hard work herding animals and assisting men with hunting. Cats, on the other hand, were worshiped as false idols in ancient societies and do little to earn their keep in the home. Liberals often use dogs to their political advantage - Barack Hussein Obama keeps a dog in the White House. This is clearly a liberal ploy to win over dog owners in crucial swing states. In reality no true dog would voluntarily be a part of the liberal propaganda machine, especially given how many liberals are atheist and the proven link between atheism and bestiality.

Troll or not? I can't tell. That last line makes me think troll, but Poe's Law and all that.
Also, gently caress those cats for letting Pharaonic Egypt worship them. It's not like cats ever earned their keep, or dogs were ever worshiped as gods.

Also, Atheism and Beastilaity has it's own page, which includes this:

quote:

In an article entitled Stalin’s ape-man Superwarriors Creation Ministries International declares:
“ Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin wanted to rebuild the Red Army, in the mid-1920s, with Planet-of-the-Apes-style troops by crossing humans with apes. This was according to a report in The Scotsman newspaper on 20 December 2005.

The report claimed that Stalin ordered Russia’s top animal-breeding scientist, Ilya Ivanov, to use his skills to produce a super warrior. Stalin is said to have told Ivanov, ‘I want a new invincible human being, insensitive to pain, resistant and indifferent about the quality of food they eat.’ In 1926, the Politburo in Moscow passed this request to build a ‘living war machine’ on to the Academy of Sciences, who engaged Ivanov and sent him to West Africa with many thousands of dollars to conduct experiments in impregnating chimpanzees by artificial insemination. In the USSR, a centre was set up in Georgia, Stalin’s birthplace, for the ‘apes’ to be raised.

Ivanov’s experiments in Africa were a total failure. Further experiments in Georgia to use monkey sperm in human volunteers also failed. Ivanov was now in disgrace. For his expensive failure, he was sentenced to five years’ jail, commuted to five years’ exile in Kazakhstan, where he died in 1932, aged 61.[87]

I want to say this is crazy too, like most of that page is. But I'm guessing there's some horrible kernel of truth here, isn't there?

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 27, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

colonelslime posted:

Troll or not? I can't tell. That last line makes me think troll, but Poe's Law and all that.
Also, gently caress those cats for letting Pharaonic Egypt worship them. It's not like cats ever earned their keep, or dogs were ever worshiped as gods.

In all frank likelihood, that whole "link between atheism and bestiality" line sounds legit based on what I've seen of the userbase on Conservapedia.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The editor who inserted that line may have done it for soft trolling purposes, but it is the official sentiment of Conservapedia (or rather, likely mentally ill senior administrator Conservative). See one of his many, many X and Y articles: http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_bestiality

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

In all frank likelihood, that whole "link between atheism and bestiality" line sounds legit based on what I've seen of the userbase on Conservapedia.

I just love the part about "liberal apartment rental agreements" keeping city folk from owning dogs. drat those landlords for imposing rules on their property, somebody should make a law preventing them from stopping dog ownership. But, you can't let government infringe on a businessman's rights with excess regulation...

Conservative paradox...

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

colonelslime posted:

I just love the part about "liberal apartment rental agreements" keeping city folk from owning dogs. drat those landlords for imposing rules on their property, somebody should make a law preventing them from stopping dog ownership. But, you can't let government infringe on a businessman's rights with excess regulation...

Conservative paradox...

Assuming it's not satire, I don't think it's so much criticising the landlords, so much as deriding the city/yuppie/liberal life as one full of ridiculous restrictions. It's a pretty common right/rural argument to cover how city life ruins people, is unnatural, etc. A lot of the underlying narrative boils down to: "ew, ick, people in cities have to live around a bunch of other people and accommodate them." Cities encapsulate many things Freepers hate, including exposure to people different from oneself, and having your actions have immediately apparent consequences for other people.

Years ago, we had some posts in an earlier version of this thread where some down-home Freepers talked about how selfish city people are for living in such huge apartment buildings, what with how expensive and inefficient it must be to run wiring and plumbing through such huge buildings instead of the economical simplicity of having a single-family home on 10 acres.:facepalm:

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 27, 2012

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The dogs thing is definitely a troll.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Yeah seriously. Who hates cats?

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Actually there is a popular "makes u think" story that goes around in Christian circles about the difference between dogs and cats. It's something like this:

You see, when a master feeds his dog, the dog thinks "Ah, this person is feeding me. They must be very important!" But when the master feeds his cat, the cat thinks "My slave is feeding me. About time. I'm so important, haven't got all day." So are you a dog..........or a cat?

And the master is Jesus and the dog is Good Christians and the cat is Atheists. :shepface:

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Augster posted:

Actually there is a popular "makes u think" story that goes around in Christian circles about the difference between dogs and cats. It's something like this:

You see, when a master feeds his dog, the dog thinks "Ah, this person is feeding me. They must be very important!" But when the master feeds his cat, the cat thinks "My slave is feeding me. About time. I'm so important, haven't got all day." So are you a dog..........or a cat?

And the master is Jesus and the dog is Good Christians and the cat is Atheists. :shepface:

Either way an alien race sees us cleaning up both of their poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Either way an alien race sees us cleaning up both of their poo poo.

I'm pretty sure Aliens see the pecking order of Earth as Car, Dog, Cat, Human.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I think it's partially trolling, but it'd be difficult to tell without combing through the edit history version by version.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Cats don't appear in the bible apparently, so maybe that has something to do with this attitude?

edit: A google shows they sorta don't appear

Catholic Encyclopedia posted:

CAT. — Mention of this animal occurs only once in the Bible, namely Bar., vi, 21. The original text of Baruch being lost, we possess no indication as to what the Hebrew name of the cat may have been. Possibly there was not any; for although the cat was very familiar to the Egyptians, it seems to have been altogether unknown to the Jews, as well as to the Assyrians and Babylonians, even to the Greeks and Romans before the conquest of Egypt. These and other reasons have led some commentators to believe that the word cat, in the above cited place of Baruch, might not unlikely stand for another name now impossible to restore.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FoiledAgain posted:

Cats don't appear in the bible apparently, so maybe that has something to do with this attitude?

edit: A google shows they sorta don't appear

I doubt that has much to do with it, considering that dogs are mentioned far more often but in an almost universally negative light.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think it's two things, first is that cats are associated with gay men/sissies and old women. Real men have big dogs to go with their big trucks, big guns and tiny giant penises. It's also stealth Islamophobia as cats are considered clean in Islam and the Prophet Mohammed was a well documented cat lover.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Atasi posted:

I think it's two things, first is that cats are associated with gay men/sissies and old women. Real men have big dogs to go with their big trucks, big guns and tiny giant penises. It's also stealth Islamophobia as cats are considered clean in Islam and the Prophet Mohammed was a well documented cat lover.

Hahaha, the animal that requires less care and is more independant is obviously the choice for gays and women. A real man needs a pet that is too dumb to not overeat or even cover up its own poo poo, obviously.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Atasi posted:

Dogs are really interesting in Islam, as they are considered to be "unclean" but they are still very popular with Muslims, even in theocratic societies like Saudi Arabia.

I once saw Neil MacFarquhar talk about his book, The Media Relations Department of Hizbollah Wishes You a Happy Birthday: Unexpected Encounters in the Changing Middle East, on C-SPAN, and he spoke about this at length. MacFarquhar spoke about how immensely popular dogs are and how much demand there is in Middle East black markets for dogs even though the hardliners, religious leaders, etc. are so outspoken against such "unclean" things. It's actually pretty fascinating.

He also related an anecdote about a woman in Saudi Arabia who had her beloved dog stolen from her yard by two guys on a moped, only to find the dog on sale in the black market at the bazaar a few days later.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

rkajdi posted:

Hahaha, the animal that requires less care and is more independant is obviously the choice for gays and women. A real man needs a pet that is too dumb to not overeat or even cover up its own poo poo, obviously.

Are you seriously playing console warrior for household pets?

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

andrew smash posted:

You'd be surprised how often that happens in real life.

I've witnessed first-hand numerous "My dog/cat rules and cats/dogs (respectively) suck!" arguments.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You'd think a cat's relative independence would harmonize well with their rugged individualism.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Suspicious posted:

You'd think a cat's relative independence would harmonize well with their rugged individualism.

They need someone to love them unconditionally because no one else will.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
If I ever buy a white-pawed cat I'll be sure to name it "Bootstraps"

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

andrew smash posted:

No, I'm just trying to point out how stupid it is to consider the pet that you have to continually mother/tend for to be the "manly" pet. Sorry if the point didn't come across that well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rkajdi posted:

No, I'm just trying to point out how stupid it is to consider the pet that you have to continually mother/tend for to be the "manly" pet. Sorry if the point didn't come across that well.

I think the reason dogs are considered the "manly" pet is their long-term association with home defense, hunting, and "men's work" of various kinds. Say what you will about cats, no one has ever trained a cat to retrieve game or herd sheep.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Atasi posted:

I first read about Mohammed's cat in a Kinky Friedman novel, of all places. It's still one of those stories that makes me go "awww".

Godless Wikipedia posted:

Muezza is said to have been the Islamic prophet Muhammad's favorite cat. According to legend, Muhammad one day awoke at the sound of the call to prayer. Preparing to attend, he began to clothe himself; however, he soon discovered Muezza sleeping on the sleeve of his robe. Rather than wake her, he used a pair of scissors to cut the sleeve off, leaving the cat undisturbed.

:3:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Oh good, don't want to cut down the cat's sleep to only 15 hours and 55 minutes a day.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

My wife's like that with our cat. She'll kneel and type at her desk if the cat's on her chair. I love the cat, but I kick it the hell off my chair.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm pretty much totally subordinate to my cat.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

colonelslime posted:

I want to say this is crazy too, like most of that page is. But I'm guessing there's some horrible kernel of truth here, isn't there?
Well, since you asked:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilya_Ivanov

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Atasi posted:

the Prophet Mohammed was a well documented cat lover.

Not just Mohammed, but Lenin too! Clearly cats are symbols of the worldwide islamocommie conspiracy!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

prefect posted:

I first read about Mohammed's cat in a Kinky Friedman novel, of all places. It's still one of those stories that makes me go "awww".

:3:

I think it's amazing that no matter what cultural, geographical or temporal differences cat lovers may have, we all spoil our kitties the same way.

EDIT: Oh and speaking of Lenin

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 29, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Atasi posted:

I think it's amazing that no matter what cultural, geographical or temporal differences cat lovers may have, we all spoil our kitties the same way.

I'm no fan of popes in general or the current pope in particular, but he loves cats, and anyone who loves critters (I'm not only a cat person) scores points with me.

quote:

Benedict’s kindness toward the strays of Rome is already the stuff of Vatican legend. His house in Germany, its garden guarded by a cat statue, was filled with cats when Benedict lived there full time before he was posted to the Vatican in 1982.

I will now stop encouraging this derail. :)

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Atasi posted:

EDIT: Oh and speaking of Lenin

It's Chairman Meow!!!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bruce Leroy posted:

It's Chairman Meow!!!

Catimir Lenin

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Catimir Lenin

Fidel Catstro.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Bruce Leroy posted:

It's Chairman Meow!!!
Chairman Māo. :colbert:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

^^^ Yeah, Mao is Chinese for cat (although it's a different character) so the joke writes itself.

Bruce Leroy posted:

Fidel Catstro.

Feline Trotsky.

I think I'm about tapped out on those jokes.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

RagnarokAngel posted:

^^^ Yeah, Mao is Chinese for cat (although it's a different character) so the joke writes itself.

Feline Trotsky.

I think I'm about tapped out on those jokes.
Klaw-r Marx?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.

Strudel Man posted:

Klaw-r Marx?

Felinid Brezhnev.

• Locked thread