Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
this is the Cash Money answer to "collision course"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I would take the time to download a Limp Bizkit/Young Money collabo album.

That is more than I can say for the previous Limp Bizkit or Young Money albums.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Just a clarification from someone who's music-stupid:
Basically Immortal Technique is an rear end in a top hat, that's the bottom line that I'm getting from this? I've never (and probably will never) be within 100 miles of him so I have no clue about any of this poo poo.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

SLAMMYsosa posted:

Waka Flocka for sure but you should check out Slim Dunkin too. Menace II Society (which has Waka and DJ Holiday shouting all over it) and Twin Towers 2 (collab with Waka Flocka) mixtapes go hard.

I know this is a couple pages back, but I have to ask: Does Slim Dunkin being murdered over a piece of candy detract from his 'hardness'? RIP Slim Dunkin

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Max Overthruster posted:

It definitely seems like something Cash Money's doing to expand the brand into rock music. Birdman and Slim are both in their 40's I believe, and they might not be quite with it as far as what the kids are into these days like they were 5, 10, 15 years ago.

Piggy-backing on that, this is the same label that put out "Rebirth.."

angrytech posted:

Basically Immortal Technique is an rear end in a top hat, that's the bottom line that I'm getting from this? I've never (and probably will never) be within 100 miles of him so I have no clue about any of this poo poo.

I met him and he was pretty nice actually. But yeah overall he's a huge fucker.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Immortal Tech is the other end of frat rap where you get high and make conspiracy theories. He was always overrated, IMO but he did some buzz initially.

edit: Birdman and Limp Bizkit sounds like Vanilla Ice/Suge Knight all over again. Birdman rips people off so I doubt they will walk away from that arrangement happy. He's squeezing water from a rock and they are wishing on a star. Its like the divine comedy of music.

temple fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 27, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Limp Bizkit x Cash Money by William Shakespeare

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SLAMMYsosa posted:

For me it's a combination of taking himself really seriously, being really bad, having worse fans and being a prick to the rappers who have to share the stage with him.

Like, everyone I know who has gone to an ImmTech show either in the audience or as a fellow performer says he starts every set off with something like "Alright, now that that human being poo poo is over..." re: whoever played before him.

He also talks poo poo on his lovely white conscious rap loving Alex Jones watching audience and is a huge prick to his fanbase because he sees himself as being super hard and raw and doesn't like that his music only attracts crowds of lovely white people, but I mean I don't really fault him for that since ImmTech fans deserve to be punished. I have heard that cited as a reason some of my friends who have seen him live don't like him though.

Is that so? I really like some of his material, and it's expensive and inconvenient for me to see him, so I've decided to save for the gig and beers because he plays here in Denmark close to my birthday.

He's always had an attitude to the point where it's about as charming as a kick in the nuts, but what you describe sounds seriously hosed up to the point where I wouldn't want to go. I've only heard good things about his shows, but then we're quaint scandinavian bufoons who go borg borg and don't really get the chance to see Tech more than every other year if we're lucky and willing to travel :denmark:

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

angrytech posted:

No he's also a pretty lovely rapper

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Tias posted:

Is that so? I really like some of his material, and it's expensive and inconvenient for me to see him, so I've decided to save for the gig and beers because he plays here in Denmark close to my birthday.

He's always had an attitude to the point where it's about as charming as a kick in the nuts, but what you describe sounds seriously hosed up to the point where I wouldn't want to go. I've only heard good things about his shows, but then we're quaint scandinavian bufoons who go borg borg and don't really get the chance to see Tech more than every other year if we're lucky and willing to travel :denmark:

Oh that's another thing. I saw him twice, and A YEAR LATER he played the same tired setlist of all of his "hits". Like, literally opened with the same song, had the same bullshit crowd hype (EVERYONE YELL gently caress DA POLICE! I BET SUMMA YOU HAVE DADDY'S IN THE POLICE! gently caress YO DAD), I mean I know that's par for the course for some rock bands but I've never heard of any rapper repeating a setlist song-for-song, especially a year later. I went there on a date and thank god she got bored about 30 minutes in and we left early.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Death grips just got signed to epic records? game done changed.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jock Mocken posted:

No he's also a pretty lovely rapper
I think you could probably say that about a good amount of rappers in this thread that get nowhere near as much hate (some are even loved). I'd say it's more a combination of that and him being a douche. People can handle lovely rappers as long as they have some sort of personality and charisma and Tech obviously has neither.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

the black husserl posted:

Yep, new video as well. Pretty different from the rest. No yelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIrKSqb4H4A&feature=youtu.be

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

im not sure what that says about the rap game because they arent really part of it, they just have rapping in it. that came out way snootier than i meant it to but oh well.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

I know there's a decent amount of Cam'ron fans in here and personally I never got really into him, where's a good place to start with him? The only songs I'm really familiar with are Killa Cam, Triple Up and a few others off Killa Season. I have no idea what else of his to check out/is he doing anything these days?

Late on this but I'd listen to them in this order:
Come Home with Me Dead or Alive
Purple Haze (Best album, less accessible I guess) Killa Cam
Crime Pays (Underrated as gently caress)Get It In Ohio
Killa SeasonWet Wipes

Skip Confessions of Fire he stole DMX's flow on that CD. SDE is ok I guess but I haven't listened to it in like a decade so maybe I'm a terrible fan. He puts out a mixtape with his protege Vado every 6 months or so it seems with varying quality so if you're looking for newer Cam'ron there's been a ton of it since Crime Pays.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

farmtrill posted:

im not sure what that says about the rap game because they arent really part of it, they just have rapping in it. that came out way snootier than i meant it to but oh well.

Thats like saying Drake isnt part of the rap game.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Yep, new video as well. Pretty different from the rest. No yelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIrKSqb4H4A&feature=youtu.be

I miss the yelling :(

..speaking of yelling...

Someone, anyone: why punk poo poo is making its way into rap? Tyga did this too in that Rack City video. Lady Gaga did it like 2 years ago, and I am seeing it more and more. I don’t believe for a second that Lil Wayne has ever heard Anti-Cimex, DIRT, or Aus-Rotten. I’m not mad, but I just don’t get it. Is it just cause it looks cool? If so, fine, whatever, it does look cool. But I don’t hear punk bands having influence on rap or hip-hop at all (say for Doomtree, maybe Death Grips and a few others). Either musically or lyrically. And that goes double for Lil’ Wayne and Tyga.I could put, literally, thousands of words to the page about how punk bands like those on Wayne’s vest run totally counter to the ideas YMCMB presents through their music and lifestyle, but that’s for another time. Can anyone explain this?

aniero fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 28, 2012

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

aniero posted:

Can anyone explain this?

aniero posted:

it does look cool.

I doubt Lil' Wayne puts any more thought into his clothing other than "That looks cool."

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must
I am just lol'ing heartily at the idea of someone being mad legitimately because Lil Wayne has appropriated the punk rock aesthetic without respect to the ideas of the genre.

Tupac used to wear weird leather poo poo too though

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

chopper city posted:

I am just lol'ing heartily at the idea of someone being mad legitimately because Lil Wayne has appropriated the punk rock aesthetic without respect to the ideas of the genre.

I hate to stereotype but every "punk" I've ever met is so self-righteous about that poo poo. The idea of "YOU CAN ONLY WEAR OUR CLOTHES IF YOU KNOW OUR AESTHETIC AND FOLLOW IDEOLOGY" drove me nuts and is why I don't really associate with people who are still doggy-paddling in whatever is left of the genre.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

quote:

idea of someone being mad legitimately because Lil Wayne has appropriated the punk rock aesthetic without respect to the ideas of the genre

Back that fuckin train up. I'll say again, I'm not mad. Just confused. As someone who caught lovely looks & jeers at nearly every hip hop show I went to for for years for wearing punk poo poo, this legitimately confuses me. I won't bore you with the bullshit, but on more then a few occasions I was told I "wasn't welcome" at shows and that even wearing that poo poo is somehow racist or offensive to "their" genre. I've actually had these conversations, I've had a tooth knocked out over it. So, yeah, it confuses the ever loving poo poo out of me. I'm asking a question, either answer or ignore it.

To quote Archer "Dont be lovely".

aniero fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 28, 2012

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Lil wayne wore a shirt that said "COMMUNIST" on it in that Jay Sean video. Food for thought.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Lil wayne wore a shirt that said "COMMUNIST" on it in that Jay Sean video. Food for thought.
Hahaha, I had no idea, this looks hilarious and retarded.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

aniero posted:

As someone who caught lovely looks & jeers at nearly every hip hop show I went to for for years for wearing punk poo poo, this legitimately confuses me.

Lil Wayne is a celebrity. You are not.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Christ, people, take the hint.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Lil Wayne has more money than sense and he tries way too hard. I dig Danny Brown's emo flip and he's more authentic to me. I'll defend any rapper doing something genuinely different. But Wayne is the cock rock Kiss version of hiphop and its corny as all hell still.

aniero posted:

Back that fuckin train up. I'll say again, I'm not mad. Just confused. As someone who caught lovely looks & jeers at nearly every hip hop show I went to for for years for wearing punk poo poo, this legitimately confuses me. I won't bore you with the bullshit, but on more then a few occasions I was told I "wasn't welcome" at shows and that even wearing that poo poo is somehow racist or offensive to "their" genre. I've actually had these conversations, I've had a tooth knocked out over it. So, yeah, it confuses the ever loving poo poo out of me. I'm asking a question, either answer or ignore it.

To quote Archer "Dont be lovely".
"I'm DRESSING punk, don't actually hit me!"

temple fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 28, 2012

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Thats like saying Drake isnt part of the rap game.

cmon, really? drake collabs with loads of rap dudes, he is part of the scene/culture. deathgrips arent part of that world is all im saying, they are a band with a dude rapping in it. they arent out smoking blunts with lil wayne and doing songs with waka

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

aniero posted:

Someone, anyone: why punk poo poo is making its way into rap? Tyga did this too in that Rack City video. Lady Gaga did it like 2 years ago, and I am seeing it more and more. I don’t believe for a second that Lil Wayne has ever heard Anti-Cimex, DIRT, or Aus-Rotten. I’m not mad, but I just don’t get it. Is it just cause it looks cool? If so, fine, whatever, it does look cool. But I don’t hear punk bands having influence on rap or hip-hop at all (say for Doomtree, maybe Death Grips and a few others). Either musically or lyrically. And that goes double for Lil’ Wayne and Tyga.I could put, literally, thousands of words to the page about how punk bands like those on Wayne’s vest run totally counter to the ideas YMCMB presents through their music and lifestyle, but that’s for another time. Can anyone explain this?
One guess is he's making a statement about white musicians over the years appropriating black music styles and cultures for their own profit by doing the same for himself with what's considered a generally white music style and culture, but then again it's Lil Wayne, so maybe he just thinks it looks good.

Roymega
Oct 10, 2004

-crickets-

farmtrill posted:

they arent out smoking blunts with lil wayne and doing songs with waka

if that's your depiction of the rap scene then I feel very sorry/bad for you

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Red just isn't his color, both literally and metaphorically.

Actually, I don't think I know anyone who looks good wearing a red shirt. It's just a bad color to wear, I think.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

RCarr posted:

I doubt Lil' Wayne puts any more thought into his clothing other than "That looks cool."

Or the fact that his stylist buys it for him and tells him to wear it.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

He's not uhhh the most fashionable

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
If he seriously pays someone to dress him like that, I think he needs a new financial advisor, because drat

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

mistermojo posted:

He's not uhhh the most fashionable

I honestly think the Sizzurp broke his brain, hence Carter IV and I'm not a Human Being and whatever that is in that pic.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

The Rooster posted:

I honestly think the Sizzurp broke his brain, hence Carter IV and I'm not a Human Being and whatever that is in that pic.

I'm not a huge Lil Wayne fan in the first place but I wish he would do more songs like "I Feel Like Dying." Ya know, sing all about how sizzurp is destroying his brain n poo poo.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

To confirm though, that is a Make-a-Wish kid seated behind him, right?

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT

lmao hopsin

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I feel like Roscoe Dash has been been on Top 40 Radio for 3 years now.

And Hopsin is really popular with kids my age for whatever reason.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Roymega posted:

if that's your depiction of the rap scene then I feel very sorry/bad for you

you know exactly what i mean so get off your high horse fight music guy, wayne and waka are 2 relevant cultural signifiers i used as an example, to properly define the 'rap game' is going to be an essay long post.

we can all sit here and pretend that anything with a rap in it automatically makes it part of the 'rap game' but that would make for some confusing admissions. for example limp bizkit have a much more solid claim to being part of the rap game than death grips do, they are signed to cash money and have collabed with quite a few rap dudes, hell, fred durst has even rapped over a premo beat.

is saul williams part of the rap game? is kid rock part of the rap game? do blondie get a pass because of that one cars n bars n stars song? does anyone care? what does the 'rap game' mean to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Baron Patsy posted:

lmao hopsin

Some pretty awful people on that list. Not Danny Brown obviously.

• Locked thread