Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

Sefal posted:

What is the EU thing everyone keeps talking about? a google search yielded nothing. and i can only think of the european version. but i think that that was just the same as the american one. i'm really puzzled and wondering what kind of things EU did to ff7.

It stands for "Extended Universe," and contains everything Square put out after FF7, including Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. It expands upon the story started (and finished, imho) by Cloud, et al. It also turns fine characters into prats and certain talking, mog-riding cats into Scotsmen. A lot of it is really terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Oh thank you, that makes much more sense

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Edit: Wow, way late to the party.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Edit: was already covered

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

TravBot posted:

Not in Famicon FF7 they haven't...

It was a 1984 joke.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rushputin posted:

Midgar has always been at war with Wutai.

TravBot posted:

Not in Famicon FF7 they haven't...

That's what the Wutai want you to think. They're secretly integrated into Midgar society, spreading lies and poisoning our youth's minds, causing the world to live in a constant state of terror.

If you don't support the cause of Shinra, the Wutais have already won. :tinfoil:

EDIT: what the guy above me said.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
You'd think with how successful all their Final Fantasy 7 spinoff poo poo is, they'd finally remake the goddamn game but NOPE

edit: I literally just want graphics remake. Ingame and cutscenes. Keep everything else the same, that's okay with me!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
^ That's the hard part though. Modelling the world of FF7 on current-gen hardware in Squeenix-quality graphics would require a huge budget.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't want excuses, I want results! :colbert:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Macaluso posted:

You'd think with how successful all their Final Fantasy 7 spinoff poo poo is, they'd finally remake the goddamn game but NOPE

I literally just want graphics remake. Ingame and cutscenes. Keep everything else the same, that's okay with me!

But they wouldn't. They funnel in all the EU poo poo that's way too full of spoilers to go into too much depth. They'd also probably get rid of stuff like the Honey Bee Inn, or Hojo trying to get Aeris to screw the pooch, or the Turks being cool.

They'd be replaced to make way for things like Gackt, and Cloud's AC personality. And there'd be no "This guy are sick", it'd be "This guy are suffer from melodrama backstory".

[e]:

Sefal posted:

Sadly this is probably very true. all of the original game's charm would be replaced by mopey cloud over acted lines and hallways!

In the remake, you can get to the world map...after being in Midgar for 30 hours. 30 hours of Coud going, "I've failed! Oh I'm a horrible monster!", every five minutes in an unskippable cutscene, while simultaneously pining for Sephiroth and sighing. There will be no dress up for this Cloud. :(

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 27, 2012

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

But they wouldn't. They funnel in all the EU poo poo that's way too full of spoilers to go into too much depth. They'd also probably get rid of stuff like the Honey Bee Inn, or Hojo trying to get Aeris to screw the pooch, or the Turks being cool.

They'd be replaced to make way for things like Gackt, and Cloud's AC personality. And there'd be no "This guy are sick", it'd be "This guy are suffer from melodrama backstory".

Sadly this is probably very true. all of the original game's charm would be replaced by mopey cloud over acted lines and hallways!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Macaluso posted:

I don't want excuses, I want results! :colbert:

They did make that trailer that used the opening scene but was remade.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I get the feeling Sony would use the same cutscene to show off their fourth console's graphical horsepower.

e: Or the second trailer for Final Fantasy Versus 13 :v:

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
From what I remember not many people were happy with the Gambits, but it's there as an option. I like the way things work in FF12, because if you want to, you can just load everyone up with guns, and it's nice having an option that silly.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Phoenix Taichou posted:

From what I remember not many people were happy with the Gambits, but it's there as an option. I like the way things work in FF12, because if you want to, you can just load everyone up with guns, and it's nice having an option that silly.

An option SO damned silly that it can and will cheese the Ultra-super boss, Yiazmat

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I thought the gambits were great, giving you as much or as little automated control as you were comfortable with. The game is designed so that you can't just automate your way through the really challenging battles, but you can avoid the manual fight-fight-fight-fight-heal-fight-fight-fight-heal routine of random encounters. No battle transitions and everyone attacking on gambits made most battles over in a matter of seconds, and the fast battles and huge, mostly non-linear world made exploring fun.

But yes, playing the English-patched International version is definitely the way to go. It just fixes so many little issues.

SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

A lot of it is backlash due to the appeal he got by fangirls just for being an androgynous, long-haired pretty boy, and all the fanfic/yaoi that paired him with Cloud as just a broken little boy looking for a mother's love.

Even more of that is because the EU decided to pander to the fans' expectations, particularly the unquestionably bad ones.

Past that and a ridiculously improbable sword, Sephiroth isn't all that deserving of hate.

Add to it overexposure as the greatest villain ever. Same with Cloud, but as the best videogame character/hero. Overexposure is never a good thing in my book. That's why I hate Sephiroth, and other bishounen/pretty boy/androgynous characters.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

TravBot posted:

It also turns fine characters into prats and certain talking, mog-riding cats into Scotsmen. A lot of it is really terrible.

For some reason, they really didn't get Red XIII involved in the EU, which is perhaps for the best.

Maybe only...one line in the movie and a scene in Dirge, but other than that, Nanaki was chilling with all his dignity and suchlike.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Schwartzcough posted:

I thought the gambits were great, giving you as much or as little automated control as you were comfortable with. The game is designed so that you can't just automate your way through the really challenging battles, but you can avoid the manual fight-fight-fight-fight-heal-fight-fight-fight-heal routine of random encounters. No battle transitions and everyone attacking on gambits made most battles over in a matter of seconds, and the fast battles and huge, mostly non-linear world made exploring fun.

But yes, playing the English-patched International version is definitely the way to go. It just fixes so many little issues.
Is there a list of what it fixes?
The only real problem I had with XII was that gambits either came too late when they would be needed the most and they appeared in big groups.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

The only real problem I had with XII was that gambits either came too late when they would be needed the most and they appeared in big groups.

Well, among other things, you can buy every Gambit immediately after escaping the castle with Balthier and Fran.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
It has the best feature in any game, a built-in fast forward button.

also you either can choose or are forced to assign your characters a single unchangeable job that gives them a set license board if you can't deal with all your characters being blank slates with slightly different stats.

Personally FF12 felt like playing a single player MMO with the whole "hey get all the drops/grind so you can afford to buy weapons so fights don't take forever/magic so the fights aren't boring as hell. Instead of trying to make the battles interesting or require thought like they did in 10 they just let the game handle the boring stuff for you (which can feel MORE boring because you don't even get to pretend you're making decisions). Not to mention stuff like the story being a complete clusterfuck because the guy in charge wanted final fantasy tactics again while the squeenix management wanted something sellable towards Japanese teenagers. It's the only time I've ever heard of someone having a nervous breakdown over the design of a videogame. I wasn't really enjoying it, and when the game said for the third time "hey, just walk and fight in a straight line for the next several hours and then plot will happen again", I quit the game, people dump on 10 for doing that but at-least stuff happens and the fights feel engaging.

That is my essay on a videogame, thanks for reading.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 28, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Scalding Coffee posted:

IZJ FFXII is the only FFXII I think is actually decent. It makes you wonder why they didn't just go with that in the first place.

BigbyWolffe
Oct 30, 2011

TravBot posted:

It stands for "Extended Universe," and contains everything Square put out after FF7, including Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. It expands upon the story started (and finished, imho) by Cloud, et al. It also turns fine characters into prats and certain talking, mog-riding cats into Scotsmen. A lot of it is really terrible.

To be fair, Cait Sith, or Cat Sidhe, is a Scottish fairy that takes the form of a black cat. Not that the EU isn't terrible...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BigbyWolffe posted:

To be fair, Cait Sith, or Cat Sidhe, is a Scottish fairy that takes the form of a black cat. Not that the EU isn't terrible...

Given that Dirge of Cerberus happens after FF7, they should have kept consistency - if he didn't talk with a Scottish accent in this game, he'd have LESS reason to in a sequel.

Of course, DoC didn't care much for things like "internal consistency" or "good characterization", so... v:shobon:v

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Well as mentioned, the gambits are all available very early, so you can actually have a gambit-controlled spellcaster targeting weaknesses before the end of the game. The Fast-Forward feature is nice. The different "jobs" mean your characters will have different sets of spells/skills/equipment/stats, and it actually feels like there are times when you should use one character over another. The jobs also open up the option for weird challenge runs, like all white mages.

Guests and summons are now fully controllable, and you can actually set the gambits for guests. The summons have more spells and abilities to choose from, and are fun (and helpful) to use every now and then. A lot more chests have 100% guaranteed items in them (you actually have to find a fair number of spells in chests), so it feels worthwhile to explore for chests instead of finding potions and gil everywhere. Chests now respawn after moving 1 zone away, so if you really want something from a random chest it's easier to get (and enemies still take 2 screens to respawn, so you don't have to deal with enemies while you're at it). I believe drop rates are a bit higher. A lot of equipment is re-balanced (both in stats and availability), so far less equipment feels superfluous. Generally, it all just feels better balanced and faster-paced.

There are also some extra modes, like starting at level 90, or having all characters at level 1 and you don't gain any experience. There's also a 100-level endurance gauntlet that culminates in some crazy-difficult battles with bosses that never show up in the normal game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

There are also some extra modes, like starting at level 90, or having all characters at level 1 and you don't gain any experience. There's also a 100-level endurance gauntlet that culminates in some crazy-difficult battles with bosses that never show up in the normal game.

Also the bow with no physical model that has tens of thousands of attack power and has something like a 1/1024 chance of dropping out of an invisible treasure urn that has a 1/1024 chance of spawning.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Schwartzcough posted:

Well as mentioned, the gambits are all available very early, so you can actually have a gambit-controlled spellcaster targeting weaknesses before the end of the game. The Fast-Forward feature is nice. The different "jobs" mean your characters will have different sets of spells/skills/equipment/stats, and it actually feels like there are times when you should use one character over another. The jobs also open up the option for weird challenge runs, like all white mages.

Guests and summons are now fully controllable, and you can actually set the gambits for guests. The summons have more spells and abilities to choose from, and are fun (and helpful) to use every now and then. A lot more chests have 100% guaranteed items in them (you actually have to find a fair number of spells in chests), so it feels worthwhile to explore for chests instead of finding potions and gil everywhere. Chests now respawn after moving 1 zone away, so if you really want something from a random chest it's easier to get (and enemies still take 2 screens to respawn, so you don't have to deal with enemies while you're at it). I believe drop rates are a bit higher. A lot of equipment is re-balanced (both in stats and availability), so far less equipment feels superfluous. Generally, it all just feels better balanced and faster-paced.

Now that's an OFS LP I'd like to see.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The White Dragon posted:

Also the bow with no physical model that has tens of thousands of attack power and has something like a 1/1024 chance of dropping out of an invisible treasure urn that has a 1/1024 chance of spawning.

Given that we're talking about FFXII here, I have no idea if you're being serious or not. :psyduck:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KataraniSword posted:

Given that we're talking about FFXII here, I have no idea if you're being serious or not. :psyduck:

I know I get hyperbolic sometimes (the weapon's actual attack is in the mid 200s and it gives you +75 evade), but come on, when was the last time I bullshitted someone about extant items in nintendos?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, there are a couple weird super-weapons with no models that are virtually impossible to get. But I didn't mention them because no one in their right mind will ever get one.
(I might've gotten one. Or two...)

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
And if you're even remotely inclined to putting up with Matsuno's brand of storytelling and enjoy exploring incredibly detailed and interesting environments even a little bit then you'll love the gently caress out of any version of FFXII you pick up.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Phoenix Taichou posted:

This is a good plan due to how guns ignore fuckin' everything but their own attack and gelatin.

Also it's amazing how TWD will find any reason to poo poo on FFXII. All these changes for the better? Yeah, somehow this one item negates all of them!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I really like everything about the International FFXII version except the jobs thing. It's kind of a hard sell for me, I hate irrevocable choices. Having said that, apparently the job license boards can be super stacked and so it's actually possible to end up with way more HP and stuff than you normally would in XII. That's kind of interesting. I just hate making bad choices...

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Nakar posted:

I really like everything about the International FFXII version except the jobs thing. It's kind of a hard sell for me, I hate irrevocable choices. Having said that, apparently the job license boards can be super stacked and so it's actually possible to end up with way more HP and stuff than you normally would in XII. That's kind of interesting. I just hate making bad choices...

Personally I loved the idea of the Zodiac Job System, but I'm a huge fan of the franchise's Job systems in the first place. It's one of the big draws of 11 for me. Admittedly you can assign 12's party certain roles anyhow (I always made Basch a Dark Knight-alike with his Licenses first and foremost) but just having the confirmation that yes, your dude is a Time Mage brings a smile to my face somehow.

Besides, ZJS gives you a combination Dragoon/Dark Knight as one of the available choices. That is awesome as hell.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 28, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nakar posted:

As a whole, each character is less versatile in FFXII International, but they're stronger statistically.

A Black Mage is a lot stronger then a character you went and said "OK, I'm only going to use Black Magick with this character."

Edit: Removing the damage cap helped.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Nakar posted:

Yep, fighters will have more HP and strength, and mages will have more magick attack than you could achieve in the basic version. OH, another thing I forgot to mention- MP and Mist charges are separate things in IZJS, so you can feel free to summon or use quickenings without leaving you with 0 MP and totally screwed. This goes a long way to making you feel more powerful and making up for some lost versatility.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Nakar posted:

The job system fixed the biggest problem with XII -- making everyone the goddamn same. It should have been there in the original version.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dr Pepper posted:

As a whole, each character is less versatile in FFXII International, but they're stronger statistically.

A Black Mage is a lot stronger then a character you went and said "OK, I'm only going to use Black Magick with this character."

Edit: Removing the damage cap helped.

The superbosses can actually be killed in a reasonable amount of time now. I look back now and wonder how the gently caress some people actually lasted that long against them.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
This zodiac job system version, was it japan only? does it have english language as an option or will I need to speak the language to play it? Because i never finished FFXII even though I consider it one of my favourite FF games, and all these new features sound hella intriguing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Rooreelooo posted:

This zodiac job system version, was it japan only? does it have english language as an option or will I need to speak the language to play it? Because i never finished FFXII even though I consider it one of my favourite FF games, and all these new features sound hella intriguing
Bizarrely, from what I understand the text is in Japanese but the IZJS version uses the English voice track with subtitles. Supposedly there's a text patch but I know nothing about it.

• Locked thread