Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The problem with using Epic Spells (based on Seed: Fortify) to extend your lifespan is that the possibility exists of it being dispelled by some rear end in a top hat, causing you to instantly die of old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

wdarkk posted:

The problem with using Epic Spells (based on Seed: Fortify) to extend your lifespan is that the possibility exists of it being dispelled by some rear end in a top hat, causing you to instantly die of old age.

It's a feat!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
He may also have become a lich.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Or a statue that looks just like him and got its own panel last strip.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Some people think that the statue is Girard via Flesh-to-Stone, and it could be, but I think they're forgetting about perspective - that statue is much larger than a person.

Yes, I know about Enlarge spells. That's why I said "could be".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 28, 2012

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Some people think that the statue is Girard via Flesh-to-Stone, and it could be, but I think they're forgetting about perspective - that statue is much larger than a person.

That begs another question, to me - would an egotistical epic-level illusionist use some form of Enlarge to make his statue appear more impressive? I suspect that he might.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Maybe he was a half-giant, half-black dragon? Will we ever find out?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
New strip is up.

It's a doozy.

Some of the predictions made in the last few pages were exactly on the mark.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Welp... The pooch has officialy been screwed.

E: There's probably more to the pictographs than what's important to this particular strip. I'm interested as to what they mean.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 29, 2012

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Whoa. That's some heavy poo poo, V.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

Doesn't Penelope's death match up with the timeframe of V's Familicide?

:smug:

That said, wow. I half expected Burlew to toss another twist at us after so many people guessed it would be Familicide. I wonder how Roy is going to react to having a second Evil character in the party, he already barely tolerates Belkar.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There was some nice, brisk, effective detective work by all the members of the party, including Elan.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Excellent! This is the best of all possible plotlines!

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Brannock posted:

I wonder how Roy is going to react to having a second Evil character in the party, he already barely tolerates Belkar.

Don't think it'll be an issue. I really can't see V telling everyone whose fault this was.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vorgen posted:

Excellent! This is the best of all possible plotlines!
I can't stop grinning. This is exactly the sort of writing masterstroke that I love Rich for. The unexpected consequences.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Brannock posted:

:smug:

That said, wow. I half expected Burlew to toss another twist at us after so many people guessed it would be Familicide. I wonder how Roy is going to react to having a second Evil character in the party, he already barely tolerates Belkar.

I would imagine he's been planning this for dozens if not hundreds of strips - a lot of good writers do this kind of world-building way ahead of actually writing things out.

That said, I can't imagine that this will end well for V, especially after hiding the source of his power like that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Do you think this is the gate where the IFC will take control, or will that be the next one?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

wdarkk posted:

Do you think this is the gate where the IFC will take control, or will that be the next one?

I think poetic justice demands that V tells the Order as little as she possibly can, only for the IFCC to come out and destroy their chances at protecting Girard's gate.

V will have to explain exactly what the gently caress just happened and it's a plausible place for Belkar to die - "Oh, and that halfling you hate? We're not all bad, so we'll let you kill him too."

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So... if Girard himself had indeed been turned into a statue (presumably willingly, since his clan easily had the resources to free him otherwise), would that have protected him from the Familicide?

Also, I'm no entomologist, but the explanation for the bugs seems odd to me. If they had been attracted by the smell, even if they then couldn't spot the corpse without sight, surely over the course of a couple of weeks they would have bumped into them?

e: And as MildShow has pointed out, one doesn't just keep their family tree painted on a wall for no reason. Maybe it's as simple as a sort of anti-inbreeding public reference ("no making out with anyone under four degrees!"), or maybe not.

e2: Ooh, I noticed a nice touch! The schedule isn't rotating, that is, every family member is tasked with the same spell every day. Which makes perfect sense for a clan of sorcerers with fixed spell lists!

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 29, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NihilCredo posted:

Also, I'm no entomologist, but the explanation for the bugs seems odd to me. If they had been attracted by the smell, even if they then couldn't spot the corpse without sight, surely over the course of a couple of weeks they would have bumped into them?
You're right, I think. It'd be like trying to eat shellfish in the dark, though.

EDIT: It's pretty interesting that, despite never visiting the forums, Rich ends up foreseeing just about every common theory on events. I suspect he does peek into the forums more than he admits after an important page, though. That, or some people just e-mail him their theories out of the blue. (See: Oracle's prediction on Belkar.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 29, 2012

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

NihilCredo posted:

So... if Girard himself had indeed been turned into a statue (presumably willingly, since his clan easily had the resources to free him otherwise), would that have protected him from the Familicide?

e2: Ooh, I noticed a nice touch! The schedule isn't rotating, that is, every family member is tasked with the same spell every day. Which makes perfect sense for a clan of sorcerers with fixed spell lists!

There are Illusion-school spells which mask the scents of an area - Mirage Arcana, the first spell on the daily recast-list, says so right in the description: "The illusion includes audible, visual, tactile, and olfactory elements."

I would guess that the bugs just couldn't figure out what the smell was once they got there, so they just kind of milled around.

e: The full spell list:

Gina: Mirage Arcana
Orrin: Phantasmagoria
Sami: Screen
Kanta: Shifting Paths
Venna: Shifting Paths
Tiran Sr.: Illusory ? (Pit? Script abbreviated?)
Tiran Jr.: Misdirection
Dylan: False Vision
Liana: Wall of Gloom

Niton fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 29, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I was one of the ones who thought it was highly implausible that V's Familicide just HAPPENED to take out the Draketooth line. And yet, this reveal is just so clever and succinct that I don't mind.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ah, V. You thought you could escape the consequences of your actions. That's TWO now. (First being the divorce). And he hasn't even revealed that evil fiends own a good hour's worth of his life and can take him over at any time of their choosing to the rest of the group.

If V doesn't swallow the remains of his pride RIGHT NOW and come clean it's going to haunt him even more down the line. I hope he does come clean, but if he doesn't that sets up a whole lot of more dramatic conflict for later.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Honestly the only reason I wouldn't immediately say that V will get controlled this gate is that Tarquin is not going to put up with the IFC butting in.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
One thing this reveal also does is confirm that Ian/Haley are not actually secret Draketooths of some sort.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Ahahaha, whoops!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I suppose "Draketooth" isn't a bad little bit of foreshadowing too, all things considered.

I feel a little weird about how this plotline was predicted by the readers. On the one hand you give the internet enough time and interest and it'll guess almost everything you might do, so there's no avoiding it. On the other, I can't help but think if I didn't keep up with this thread and with OOTS elsewhere I'd have been more blown away by this revelation. It's a tough balance to strike I guess.

It's drat good reading though, and I imagine it'll catch first-time readers who're moving from page to page off-guard.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Speedball posted:

And he hasn't even revealed that evil fiends own a good hour's worth of his life and can take him over at any time of their choosing to the rest of the group.

I thought they just got his soul after death.

Edit: Yeah. Right side, third panel from the bottom. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Good job V!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Refresh my memory, the Order doesn't know what V did, correct?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
No, they saw V during the Soulsplice but V lied about where the power came from and they didn't really probe further because a lot of stuff happened during and immediately after it was over. Like the band getting back together, Roy getting resurrected, the Azure city refugees getting resettled etc.

Roy actually saw the other souls tethered to V, but he was dead and has vague memories at best about it. It'll probably come back to him at a dramatically appropriate time.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

crime fighting hog posted:

Refresh my memory, the Order doesn't know what V did, correct?

Correct - as far as we know, the only being who I think knows anymore more than just 'powerful' is Blackwing, who was by default by V's side when she made the choice. Even if V might not speak up about it, there's a chance that Blackwing might act on his own.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

ConfusedUs posted:

Edit: Yeah. Right side, third panel from the bottom. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html

No, V assumes that they get his soul after death. But all the Fiend's dialogue implies that they need V alive for their plan for the gates. It's pretty clear that they'll take him over when he's alive.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I thought that Familicide was too easy an answer to this, but here I am still blown away by the reveal. Another interesting thing to note after looking over the forums at GitP is that the family tree was actually on the last panel of the previous comic, so it should have been more obvious anyway.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Massive kudos to the people who saw this coming. I am disappointed in the lack of foreshadowing in #639.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I wonder if Tiran or his son were involved with Tyranaria in any way.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ConfusedUs posted:

Like Stabbey said, you're making the same mistake that V is making. Watch the dialogue:
"And for this, you would have eternal dominion over my immortal soul once I died?"
"What? No! No, no no! How would that be fair? No, all we ask for is an even trade. Each one of us will get your soul for the same amount of time that you are under the effects of their Soul Splice."

Those are two different statements, but they string them together to make them sound related. In fact, they very conspicuously don't say when they would take V's soul, and they muddy the water by saying "no" to V's question no less than five times before they get around to the actual details.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Zore posted:

One thing this reveal also does is confirm that Ian/Haley are not actually secret Draketooths of some sort.

Well, Ian was in the prison where no magic would work right? Maybe the spell couldn't reach him there, and thus could not work on Haley either.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Zore posted:

Not necessarily. There is still wiggle room, with Ian and Haley being less inbred then the victims.

And without the Draketooths, where the gently caress did Ian run off to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Cliff Racer posted:

I wonder if Tiran or his son were involved with Tyranaria in any way.

Nope, Lord Tyrinar the Bloody was a whiny brat.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0759.html