Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

What about IV and V? IV had that whole weird two games thing where one was canon but kind of weak, and I don't think I ever saw anyone really talk about V. I know the non-canon version of IV is translated, what about about Mask of the Sun? It also seems both games (IV and V) had PS2 releases, but did they suck or something? Never hear anyone talk about them.

I wish I could find the old Ys thread from the archives, I'm pretty sure I asked this before back then and can't really remember the responses. It would be kind of cool to finish all of the Ys games I haven't played yet at any rate.

Neither version of Ys4 is canon any more really. Falcom are currently working on remaking it in the Ys7 engine for the PSP, so we'll finally have a definitive version of it. I didn't really care for either one that much and haven't finished either, partly because I couldn't find a good PCE emulator to run Dawn on.

I'm pretty sure both games have fan translations at this point, as I seem to recall having played Mask in English. I might be misremembering though.

I know absolutely nothing about Ys5 either. The PS2 release is really ugly, it looks like a bad PSX game. The SNES version is really weird too though, the visual style looks really different from other Ys games. The game kind of reminds me of a much better detailed Soul Blazer. I have a friend who owns the SNES version but I don't think he's actually played it.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Risen: "I'm out of mana, but these skeletons need fireballs! BETTER DRINK A BUNCH OF GROG"

I got lost and now I have some dead skeletons and a new shield. I think I'm playing the game right.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Also drat, am I gonna have to get Risen? Is there a magic equivalent to those +1 strength apples Zereth is talking about? Can you third person it, or is it full-on FPRPG?

Risen isn't first person. At least it better not be, because I've been planning to buy it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zereth posted:

Risen: "I'm out of mana, but these skeletons need fireballs! BETTER DRINK A BUNCH OF GROG"

This is the sort of thinking I can get behind.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Also drat, am I gonna have to get Risen? Is there a magic equivalent to those +1 strength apples Zereth is talking about? Can you third person it, or is it full-on FPRPG?
It's third person, and also your magic doesn't regenerate except when you eat a consumable or sleep in a bed, so you'll want a weapon anyway.

Also, yes: reading books. This raises your Wisdom which you need to unlock levels of spells! This doesn't affect your mana pool though. I really need to find some method of cranking that up so I can fireball things for longer. (And also get some of the leveled spells I guess.)

At least with this sweet magic ring I made I can use this awesome sword I tricked a guy into handing to me without having spent any LP to qualify for it! :toot:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

TheOriginalEd posted:

I posted this a while back (in response to YOU asking once before about disgaea 2 thank you very much for listening :colbert:)

as far as story 1 was leagues better. but as far as gameplay, I thought 2 was basically a step up in every way.

Just now, I was asking people to compare 2 and 3, not 1 and 2. :colbert: Thanks for posting that again though. According to your post, I should grab 2 and then I'll have enough to do until Disgaea 6 comes out. :v:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

HondaCivet posted:

until Disgaea 6 comes out. :v:

SOMEONE seems optimistic about NIS' future!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's a good turn-based RPG that is non-tolkien-fantasy, not a Final Fantasy, JRPG style, and generally darker/more serious? I'm not talking terribly dark and depressing, but something reminiscent of FF6 World of Ruin, a lot of FF7, the 12000 BC & 2300 AD sections of Chrono Trigger, and the Shadow Hearts series. In other words, not as artistically dark as thematically dark/foreboding.

Anything fit that mold? I'm just a little burnt out on RPGs that are either a bit dopey/cutesy or focused on politics and military maneuvers.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

What's a good turn-based RPG that is non-tolkien-fantasy, not a Final Fantasy, JRPG style, and generally darker/more serious? I'm not talking terribly dark and depressing, but something reminiscent of FF6 World of Ruin, a lot of FF7, the 12000 BC & 2300 AD sections of Chrono Trigger, and the Shadow Hearts series. In other words, not as artistically dark as thematically dark/foreboding.

Anything fit that mold? I'm just a little burnt out on RPGs that are either a bit dopey/cutesy or focused on politics and military maneuvers.

Have you tried Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

a medical mystery posted:

Have you tried Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne?

I haven't. It's on my list from the previous SMT discussion in this thread, but I haven't tracked it down yet.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Nocturne is the tits, think demonic pokemon in a post-apocalyptic modern era tokyo where buffs and debuffs are integral to surviving even the random encounters and a real tactical element to fighting.

Plus you get to fight Dante from Devil May Cry

Thinking about it, FFXIII-2 had a similar but slightly tamer system to this

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Dante from Devil May Cry

I really, disliked that in Nocturne. Cool cameo and all, but it really just seemed to poo poo all over the tone they were carefully building.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I have a really dumb quick question . . . So I picked up the PSP version of FFT off of the PSN the other day and . . . Is there some way to look up what spells do in-game, especially while in battle? Or will I just have to sit next to my laptop with a Final Fantasy wiki open?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Press Select, I believe.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HondaCivet posted:

I have a really dumb quick question . . . So I picked up the PSP version of FFT off of the PSN the other day and . . . Is there some way to look up what spells do in-game, especially while in battle? Or will I just have to sit next to my laptop with a Final Fantasy wiki open?

I'm not sure about the button in the PSP version, but the original PSX was something like Square to bring up quick info screens.

The Sq-info also applies to items so you can see what kinds of boosts they give you and which classes can equip them, among other things. Totally useful, so give pressin' Square a shot.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

HondaCivet posted:

On the PSX version, you could press Select to get a cryptic, poorly translated description of a spell's effect. The PSP version's manual lists Select as the "help" button, so I'd guess it has essentially the same effect. Don't know about in-battle though.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

MockingQuantum posted:

Radiant Historia had a no bullshit cast. No one in there just for the kawaii relief

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm buying either Final Fantasy 13-2 or Kingdoms of Amalur today but haven't decided which yet. Seems that this thread has a good ratio of jrpg and wrpg fans so anyone have any input as too which is the "better" game?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

They're fundamentally impossible to compare because they both really go to the extremes of their different types, but:

If you like smooth and fast action-RPG combat, WoW huge-pauldrons-technicolor-cheesy-fantasy-landscape aesthetics and it really really nails this style, and systematically hoovering up the countryside of all its drops while not giving a poo poo about the storyline, Amalur has a ton of great content. If you don't enjoy the process of emptying an area and moving onto the next and rinse-repeating, though, it'll feel pretty stale pretty fast.

FF13-2 has a tighter system than FF13 but is still fundamentally the same kind of game where you're switching paradigms rather than actually doing the nitty-gritty of selecting what your characters specifically do. The combat balance is a lot better, with some actual strategy required at times, and they've managed to make a pretty non-linear game that you can approach at from whatever angle you like. I consider the plot to be pretty drat awful, though. As JRPGs go, it isn't bad, but I don't think it's good either - there's better titles to get on PS3.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 29, 2012

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Wendell posted:

Risen isn't first person. At least it better not be, because I've been planning to buy it.

It's not. There may be a button to toggle it, can't remember, but if their is, it's not necessary.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

casual poster posted:

Radiant Historia had a no bullshit cast. No one in there just for the kawaii relief
Maybe not kawaii relief but still stupid young character alert:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
^^^Ya she's young and IIRC has kind of a cutesy crush on Stocke, but as far as kawaii characters go I found her very tolerable.

Stelas posted:

They're fundamentally impossible to compare because they both really go to the extremes of their different types, but:

If you like smooth and fast action-RPG combat, WoW huge-pauldrons-technicolor-cheesy-fantasy-landscape aesthetics and it really really nails this style, and systematically hoovering up the countryside of all its drops while not giving a poo poo about the storyline, Amalur has a ton of great content. If you don't enjoy the process of emptying an area and moving onto the next and rinse-repeating, though, it'll feel pretty stale pretty fast.

FF13-2 has a tighter system than FF13 but is still fundamentally the same kind of game where you're switching paradigms rather than actually doing the nitty-gritty of selecting what your characters specifically do. The combat balance is a lot better, with some actual strategy required at times, and they've managed to make a pretty non-linear game that you can approach at from whatever angle you like. I consider the plot to be pretty drat awful, though. As JRPGs go, it isn't bad, but I don't think it's good either - there's better titles to get on PS3.

What's funny is a month or so ago I had zero interest in either of these games, but they seem to have gotten a warmer reception than I would have thought so I feel the need to eat my words and give one a shot. I'll probably settle on FF13-2 since generic Tolkien style fantasy is even more cringe inducing too me than the typical JPRG tropes. Plus since I played FF13 I'm interested to see how redeeming 13-2 is. Really I'm just looking for a decent PS3 RPG. Maybe I'll just get Valkyria Chronicles instead. Never did get around to checking it out.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Volitaire posted:

Maybe I'll just get Valkyria Chronicles instead. Never did get around to checking it out.

FF13-2 is a good game, but this is by far the better choice.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rascyc posted:

Also most useful character in the game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

More adventures in Risen!

I am backed into a corner trying to fireball some wolves in a place I think they can't get to, but it turns out they can and get a couple of hits in, pushing me back, after which they cant' reach me anymore! Hooray! Fireball time!

Then after killing them all I look down and notice I am a good 6 feet out into empty space over a huge drop and have been for some time. :staredog:

I survived the fall, barely. and then had to sneak past the ogre to get bakc up there and loot the drat corpses.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Volitaire posted:

Maybe I'll just get Valkyria Chronicles instead. Never did get around to checking it out.

Yeah gently caress both those games. If you have a PS3 and haven't given Valkyria Chronicles a go, you really owe it to yourself.

Player 2
Sep 11, 2011

by T. Couchfucker

Zereth posted:

More adventures in Risen!

I am backed into a corner trying to fireball some wolves in a place I think they can't get to, but it turns out they can and get a couple of hits in, pushing me back, after which they cant' reach me anymore! Hooray! Fireball time!

Then after killing them all I look down and notice I am a good 6 feet out into empty space over a huge drop and have been for some time. :staredog:

I survived the fall, barely. and then had to sneak past the ogre to get bakc up there and loot the drat corpses.

I'm thinking about buying Risen. Is it any good?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Yeah gently caress both those games. If you have a PS3 and haven't given Valkyria Chronicles a go, you really owe it to yourself.

I enjoy both games but VC is 'gently caress-you hard' at some point in a way that really sapped the fun for me. Also the bullshit turn limits piss me off. It's a good game but for pick up and playability I'd recommend FFXIII-2. It's beyond a "decent" PS3 RPG and might be the best on the system right now. It feels not only like a redeeming sequel to FFXIII but also the Chrono Trigger sequel we never got. It's a genuinely good game.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Levantine posted:

I enjoy both games but VC is 'gently caress-you hard' at some point in a way that really sapped the fun for me. Also the bullshit turn limits piss me off. It's a good game but for pick up and playability I'd recommend FFXIII-2. It's beyond a "decent" PS3 RPG and might be the best on the system right now. It feels not only like a redeeming sequel to FFXIII but also the Chrono Trigger sequel we never got. It's a genuinely good game.

Too be fair, theres only one mission that is 'gently caress you hard' (mission 8), all the other ones just need real strategy to complete. I thoroughly enjoyed this game, completing it in less then a week (with my schedule thats basically unheard of). However, if you play the 2nd one, play it only for the game play. The story and characters are just horrible. I was barely able to play I was facepalming so much.

Rascyc posted:

Forgot about her, at least she didn't have many cringe worthy dialogue.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I would love it if FF13-2 was someting like Chrono Trigger. I'll give the game a go someday, but the demo rubbed me completely the wrong way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
VC Chapter 7 is very stupid hard, but finishing it felt very satisfying and a part of me almost wanted to do it again immediately afterwards because I felt confident I could finish it even better. There are a handful of other missions that are a bit gimmicky, but ultimately I found VC to be pretty well balanced in terms of challenge.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

VC Chapter 7 is very stupid hard, but finishing it felt very satisfying and a part of me almost wanted to do it again immediately afterwards because I felt confident I could finish it even better. There are a handful of other missions that are a bit gimmicky, but ultimately I found VC to be pretty well balanced in terms of challenge.

My biggest complaint were I think Missions 7 & 8 where things happen that you couldn't possibly plan for Selvaria showing up for one. It'd be different if decent strategy could get you through some of the missions first shot but too much unexpected annoying stuff happened for my taste.

That being said I did actually really enjoy the game overall. I just think it's a little less fun to play in parts than other games.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Player 2 posted:

I'm thinking about buying Risen. Is it any good?

It's not great, but it's enjoyable. It definitely has a few difficulty spikes throughout the first half of the game that, if you're not ready, could kill the game for you and it takes some time to really open up, but when it does I had fun. Depending on what platform you get it for, you might see some slowdown in certain parts of the game where the engine chugs (the whorehouse is particularly bad); I think the PC version is less likely to have this happen to it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really thought the first half of Risen was completely fantastic (at least when I played it, this was years ago). Then I got to the second half and played a few hours of that before realizing that yes, this is the rest of the game.

I shut it off after that and never looked back.

I'll spoiler this since Zereth is playing through it, but the second half of the game basically:

takes away 95% of the freedom and exploration aspect. You're basically in a dungeon with some light story for the rest of the game. It's one big combat fest and dungeon crawl. A sharp contrast to the first half of the game which is basically character building, some combat, and exploration.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 29, 2012

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Is Valkyria Chronicles 2 better balanced difficulty-wise than the first? I really enjoyed 1 until Ch. 7. At the time I just didn't have the time or patience to deal with that poo poo and I stopped playing.

I heard 3 is good but we won't see anymore VC games outside of Japan I'm sure. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Is Valkyria Chronicles 2 better balanced difficulty-wise than the first? I really enjoyed 1 until Ch. 7. At the time I just didn't have the time or patience to deal with that poo poo and I stopped playing.

I heard 3 is good but we won't see anymore VC games outside of Japan I'm sure. :(

It's more balanced but not in the way you're thinking. Chapter 7 of VC is the odd man out when it comes to VC. Everything else is comically easy because certain units and tactics are super-overpowered. VC2 makes them slightly less broken/encourages other unit use. It's not really good but it is at least isn't quite Scout Rush 24/7.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Where the heck is Breath of Fire 3 in the PSN store? Or rather, which store. I keep reading on how its on some EU store but it aint on my country's.

ImpAtom posted:

VC2 makes them slightly less broken/encourages other unit use. It's not really good but it is at least isn't quite Scout Rush 24/7.
Yeah, shocktroopers are way more useful now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Shocktroopers crush the game about as easily as scouts do now. Basically the first tier of classes things feel balanced but as soon as you upgrade once or twice, it's all bets are off and the game is as broken as it was in VC1.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Miijhal posted:

I recommend browsing RPGmaker.net, and searching for the lowest rated games. It's great for finding terrible poo poo, like Escape From Middle School, Cod: Nazi Zombies, and the barely started, but "grafikally" intense Suteki. I've personally played the latter two, and I can vouch for their terribleness.

Which reminds me that I need to play Manos: Hands of Fate RPG.
For really bad RPG Maker games that aren't on RMN, grab the Laxius Power series. Needlessly long dungeons, terrible writing and a shitload of misogyny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I played through VC1 recently and I found that it really helped the game's balance to not use any orders. You actually would have to use lancers to take out tanks, rather than just loading up scouts with damage boost, and scouts weren't as durable. It's still not perfect, but it's something I'd recommend anyone who likes VC try.