Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My rear end is getting sore just looking at that thing. Jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
It looks totally badass in every sense of the word. I would only drive it like a grandma.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Nitramster posted:

It looks totally badass in every sense of the word. I would only drive it like a grandma.

I wont even get on it. I like my hand controls just fine,t rying to relearn on that thing I would wreck it and/or kill myself.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'd ride that like a cheap Thai hooker. I love riding bikes with different configurations. It's just really important to take it a *lot* slower because you're initial reaction to an emergency will probably be the wrong one.

On topic: I picked up a Garmin GPSMAP 76CX from West Marine for $150 last weekend and got my first chance to ride with it today. I used a RAM mount to attach it to the bike and it's just phenomenal. I don't have a lot of experience with GPS units but it was a big help today.

I found a new road but wasn't sure I had the gas so I distance checked it on the GPS and found it came out near a small town with a gas station. The road seems to have been built for the Drz. It was rough and potholed old tarmac that curved in between valleys, and it was bitchin! I found that the gps gave me enough lead to see the upcoming twisty's from the straights and was really detailed. There are some nifty dirt trails up in there I'll have to go check out when I get my Dirt wheels.

I'm going to map and log the GPS tracks for some of the local roads around me and I'll make them available if anyone ever wants them. Coastal Central CA has a lot of nice roads to ride. This will hopefully include off road trails and campsites as well.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
I have a tomtom rider v2, its very useful. I'd like to upgrade it but the gps market for bikes is a bit of a miasma, not really sure which way to jump.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Maybe I'm weird but I'm just fine with my cell phone and a gps app. v:shobon:v

(a non data gps app)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

devians posted:

I have a tomtom rider v2, its very useful. I'd like to upgrade it but the gps market for bikes is a bit of a miasma, not really sure which way to jump.

I went to ADV Rider and asked, they were really helpful. This model will do turn by turn I think, but I got it mostly for trail riding. The mounting hardware can be had for under $40 from RAM and it's nice stuff. Use the Ram website for the part #'s and just Google shop them for 1/4 the price.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BotchedLobotomy posted:

(a non data gps app)

Android or iPhone and what app? I have been trying to find a good one.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have an iPhone and ended up with Navigon, partially because it got decent reviews (even tho it sounds like they got bought out and hosed over some people who thought they got lifetime updates), and partially because I only got the 8gb phone and Navigon lets you break the US into parts and then only download the states that you need. Most gps apps are 1.1-1.4gb or so, my navigon folder is like 300mb and could be smaller if I dropped some states that I don't really need 99% of the time.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Check out MotionX too, it's pretty cool. I was using it before I got my actual GPS.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the tips. Gonna grab myself one of those and use as backup for my Garmin when Eurotripping.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've had a good experience with Osmand (for Android). You can use (a website I can't remember at the moment) to create gps tracks to follow.

My new bike came with an old school at-one-time-was-expensive Garmin already wired in so I don't have to worry now (after getting a sweet phone mount for xmas).

I haven't moto-camped yet, but am planning on crusing from Kansas to California in the middle of may after I graduate.

I've been practicing motorcycle fishing. I got a telescoping Shakespeare rod that fits nicely in a backpack + tackle + a small cooler I bungee on the back rack.

Looking forward to riding to nice mountain lakes and catching fishes for dinner.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 19, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

devians posted:

The only things comparable to the Riders are the Garmin Zumos, and they're eyepopping expensive compared to non-moto GPS. As far as I can tell the US didn't even get the Rider V2.

If anyone is interested in the Zumos (or probably any Garmin GPS) reportedly you can buy them at a discount straight from Garmin through an AMA link if you're a member, I don't know if the discount is worth joining the AMA for specifically, though.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'd ride that like a cheap Thai hooker.

They ride bikes differently than the rest of us?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

They ride bikes differently than the rest of us?

Their legs spread wider, kinda like the outriggers on a tri-hull catamaran.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Safety Dance posted:

Their legs spread wider, kinda like the outriggers on a tri-hull catamaran.

Also they wear roller blades.

IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009
My GPS solution is pretty cheap and simple. Took a Pelican case, RAM mount parts, 4 bucks in hardware from home depot, wired up a 12v charger, and now I have a waterproof box to put my phone in and charge it while riding. All in all, it cost less than fifty bucks.

No pictures with the phone in it because the phone took the pictures..

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
For GPS I bought one of these for my android phone. Its cheap and works really well for how inexpensive it is. pushing buttons through a glove is tough since it doesnt always pick things up with a capacative screen, but works fine once the glove is off through the plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Handlebar-Mount-Most-Smartphones/dp/B003YGGFOW/ref=pd_cp_cps_0

Issues are that if its really bright out phones dont really display very well in general.

Bonus is if its bright out thats ok because if you have a bluetooth headset you can just have it feed you directions while your music is playing. :)

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've had good luck with this one, called OSMAND. Its cool because it also pulls cool points of interest from wikipedia and throws them on the map too. Its not as good as google map's functionality but does not need any data to get you going.

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.osmand&hl=en

Whoops double post.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm hoping to go camping with a friend (and goon here) next month and we're getting close to having everything ready. Last on the list I am not 100% yet on choices is the sleeping bag. I want to start with something cheap first since I'm not 100% if this is for me and 2nd I live in California so it rarely drops into the super cold temps so a lightweight cheap bag isn't a horrible option. Here's my thought:

http://www.amazon.com/Suisse-Sport-Adventurer-Ultra-Compactable-Sleeping/dp/B001TR7QZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330465081&sr=8-1
Its a 40 dollar bag which is cheap as hell, but its very small form factor too. Advertises it goes down to 30 degrees, but I don't even want to camp when it gets that cold so I think it will work well.

Tent I am thinking this one, its inexpensive and the poles are short enough they fit into my tailbag so I don't need to strap it anywhere; I can stow it in a bag.
http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent

Finally so this isn't just a blog post here is a cool article I found on advrider, its about "budget traveling" but its more about "smart" traveling. He does things on a bicycle so not everything is 100% ironclad (I don't care if something is heavy as long as it fits in a bag/I can strap it down) but it is a fun read. Not too sure about camping near a cemetery though, I've seen too many movies. :)
https://umdrive.memphis.edu/jzelazny/public/BudgetTravel.pdf

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'm hoping to go camping with a friend (and goon here) next month and we're getting close to having everything ready. Last on the list I am not 100% yet on choices is the sleeping bag. I want to start with something cheap first since I'm not 100% if this is for me and 2nd I live in California so it rarely drops into the super cold temps so a lightweight cheap bag isn't a horrible option. Here's my thought:

http://www.amazon.com/Suisse-Sport-Adventurer-Ultra-Compactable-Sleeping/dp/B001TR7QZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330465081&sr=8-1
Its a 40 dollar bag which is cheap as hell, but its very small form factor too. Advertises it goes down to 30 degrees, but I don't even want to camp when it gets that cold so I think it will work well.

Tent I am thinking this one, its inexpensive and the poles are short enough they fit into my tailbag so I don't need to strap it anywhere; I can stow it in a bag.

Finally so this isn't just a blog post here is a cool article I found on advrider, its about "budget traveling" but its more about "smart" traveling. He does things on a bicycle so not everything is 100% ironclad (I don't care if something is heavy as long as it fits in a bag/I can strap it down) but it is a fun read. Not too sure about camping near a cemetery though, I've seen too many movies. :)

For 20 bucks more this tent packs a bit smaller and will have a full-coverage fly (more waterproof in a longer strom), and provides a vestibule for wet gear/shoes/cooking. The only downside to this tent is that you would have a harder time setting it up if the ground is really hard since it's not self-standing. http://www.rei.com/product/833639/mountain-hardwear-lightpath-2-tent-2010-closeout

If you want to stick with self-standing and also want to stay under $100 these tents also provide a full coverage fly but won't pack quite as small.
http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Zenith-2-Person-Tent/dp/B004GEOWXM
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Apex-2XT-Tent-sleeps/dp/B0043HM5M2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 28, 2012

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Wow good deal! I saw that one in store but as it says there it was 175. I kind of want a freestanding tent, but...hmmm... I'll have to think about it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Sleeping bags: Check out these from REI's closeout section, they are a little bit more expensive ($20) but look like they are a bit higher quality. Weather is unpredictable as are roads, just because you wouldn't camp when you know it's going to be 30f out doesn't mean you cant get stuck camping when its 30f or colder. In a bad situation having a sleeping bag that will keep you warm at sub-freezing temperatures can be a literal life saver.

This one is .6 lbs heavier but is safe for 20f temps: http://www.rei.com/product/812678/alps-mountaineering-clearwater-20-sleeping-bag-regular-special-buy

This one is .7 lbs heavier and rated for the same temps. I have an older Aleutian though and it has served me well for the past 3 years with 20-30 camping trips a year. http://www.rei.com/product/835879/the-north-face-aleutian-20-sleeping-bag-2011-closeout

That tent is excellent for the price, I have an older REI model and it's held up really well. Where in Cali are you? I'm on the central coast and I camp out almost every other weekend, we should do a ride sometime.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I dont have any photos of my bike set up for camping but it looks a lot like my buddies here

BIG rear end SISSY BARS FTW!!

edit: also to answer the obvious questions

internal throttle
no front brake
suicide shift
foot clutch

Is your friend Snoopie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY_tMThHNHU&feature=fvsr (fixed link)

koollook124 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 29, 2012

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I mentioned picking up a compression sack for my garage sale sleeping bag. It's decent, but it rolls to the size of a dishwasher. My GIRLFRIEND said that that would mess up the back because it would remove the air pockets, and it's the air pockets that keep you warm. I'd never heard that. Just wondering if there's any truth to it?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

orthod0ks posted:

I mentioned picking up a compression sack for my garage sale sleeping bag. It's decent, but it rolls to the size of a dishwasher. My GIRLFRIEND said that that would mess up the back because it would remove the air pockets, and it's the air pockets that keep you warm. I'd never heard that. Just wondering if there's any truth to it?

The way sleeping bags work is the stuffing inside the bag expands to create an air pocket that insulates you from the outside air. You can compress your bag without any concerns when traveling but don't leave it in the compression bag when it's not packed for a trip. If you do it will be useless in a week or so depending on how well it's made. I destroyed a good sleeping bag when I was a kid by leaving it compressed over the winter.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

The way sleeping bags work is the stuffing inside the bag expands to create an air pocket that insulates you from the outside air. You can compress your bag without any concerns when traveling but don't leave it in the compression bag when it's not packed for a trip. If you do it will be useless in a week or so depending on how well it's made. I destroyed a good sleeping bag when I was a kid by leaving it compressed over the winter.

Awesome, thanks. I still intend to pick up a down sleeping bag when I find a reasonably priced rectangular one, but the old one will do in the mean time.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

orthod0ks posted:

Awesome, thanks. I still intend to pick up a down sleeping bag when I find a reasonably priced rectangular one, but the old one will do in the mean time.

Here's a synthetic taffeta rectangle bag from REI certified to 20f. Not a bad price. I don't know your season/climate but watch REI's closeout outlet online, some screaming deals can be had there from time to time.
http://www.rei.com/product/835880/the-north-face-dolomite-20-sleeping-bag-2011-closeout

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Here's a synthetic taffeta rectangle bag from REI certified to 20f. Not a bad price. I don't know your season/climate but watch REI's closeout outlet online, some screaming deals can be had there from time to time.
http://www.rei.com/product/835880/the-north-face-dolomite-20-sleeping-bag-2011-closeout

That's a good price. I'm in PA, just looking for a 3 season bag, so something rated around 30f. I was aiming for a down bag for compact-ability on the bike.

Edit: Just realized that packs down to 9.5x18"... that seems pretty compact. Anyone have an estimate on how small their down sleeping bag gets? My goal is to be able to get my tent/sleeping bag/ground pad into my saddle bags or perhaps a yet unpurchased ortlieb dry bag so I don't look like a moto-hobo carrying everything in trash bags.

orthod0ks fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 29, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

^^^^^ Synthetic bags are crap, they're bulky for their insulating value, and if compressed often they crush and cannot be brought back to life. Get a down bag. Even if you crush one of those, you can revive it (either professional cleaning or just some tennis balls in a dryer).

I would recommend getting a bag warmer than you need unless you can afford multiple bags. There is nothing more totally and utterly heavenly than crawling into a really warm sleeping bag on a cold night. It's basically magical how well a good down bag insulates. When it gets warmer, you can always leave it partially unzipped. Most bags allow you to unzip the bottom and the top, giving you options for airflow.

For example, I purchased a Marmot Never Summer 0F bag and used it from 80F to 20F without issue, though I will say I woke up sometimes to adjust the zippers. On hot nights I'd just leave it totally unzipped or use it like a blanket.

I would also recommend a snug-fitting bag. Mummy bags are best. I am 6'2" and although I had the option of a long bag, I fit perfectly into a regular. A long bag would just rest against the wall of the tent, which means condensation.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 29, 2012

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

orthod0ks posted:

Big Agnes has bags which are not rectangular but shaped in such a way that they allow a good sized person to move around freely.

I've never slept in a rectangular sleeping bag that I thought was any good but part of me still really wants to get a King Soloman: http://www.google.com/products/cata...ved=0CGoQ8wIwAA

I also second the idea of getting a bag that's higher rated than what you need. One of the main issues with cheaper bags is that the temp rating is a flat out lie.

I've owned a Kelty 15F synthetic that I used regularly in 20-30F temps and even with a nalgene heater I was miserable counting down each minute till dawn.

On the other side I've used a Marmot 0F Coulier bag in -15F temps regularly and used it to sleep in the snow and been sung as a bug.

I've also owned TNF bags, LaFuma bags and REI bags and used Mtn Hardware, Big Agnes, coleman, slumberjack, and Alps Mountaineering.

I'm a warm sleeper, in colorado I still keep a leg outside of the comforter when sleeping in the house and my hands and feet rarely get cold unless I'm standing still for a long rear end time or building an igloo.

In my experience the following manufacturers can be trusted with their temp ratings:
Marmot
Mountain Hardware - although these tend to be cut very strangely for me
Big Agnes - provided you put a sleeping pad in the rear sleeve pocket

These brands tend to go 5-10 degrees optimistic:
REI
The North Face
LaFuma

These brands are a crap shoot some are ok but most are close to 20 degrees optimistic
Kelty
Slumberjack
Alps Mountaineering
Coleman

If you want to save money and don't mind strapping something resembling an office water cooler bottle on the back of your bike the military sleeping bag system is pretty drat warm. Buddies have igloo camped with me and been just fine in it. You also get 3 sleeping bags which zip into each other for varying degrees of warmth. They're all synthetic and do not pack small at all but it's an option if you don't mind the pack size/weight. On the plus side if you're not claustrophobic and you enjoy breathmints you can use the outer bivy layer as a coffin-like tent.

Online they're about 150 for set but local army surplus stores can have them as low as 75.
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?productID=7252&gclid=CPjf1pXxw64CFQ1jhwodvFypVw

While the packed size for a down bag looks small on the spec sheet of a website keep in mind that most down bags can be packed 2-3" smaller than the stuff sack would normally allow. Down is amazingly compressible, while down alternatives or other synthetic fills won't get much smaller than the stuff sack without the aid of a vacum pump.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

orthod0ks posted:

That's a good price. I'm in PA, just looking for a 3 season bag, so something rated around 30f. I was aiming for a down bag for compact-ability on the bike.

Edit: Just realized that packs down to 9.5x18"... that seems pretty compact. Anyone have an estimate on how small their down sleeping bag gets? My goal is to be able to get my tent/sleeping bag/ground pad into my saddle bags or perhaps a yet unpurchased ortlieb dry bag so I don't look like a moto-hobo carrying everything in trash bags.

Here's some down bags for an extra 40 bucks (REI is going to charge you tax most likely) http://www.departmentofgoods.com/lafuma-warmn-light-800ld-sleeping-bag-30-degree-down-womens We used LaFuma bags for our year long trip and they held up great, solid zippers and strong shells.

Or for an extra 60ish bucks a Marmot: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/marmot-angel-fire-sleeping-bag-25-degree-down-womens-mar1133 ( I think this is a steal as it's rated for 15F for men, and I paid close to 300 for a discounted 0F Marmot bag).

If you only have 60 bucks to spend on a bag I'd grab this one instead: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/the-north-face-aleutian-bx-sleeping-bag-20-degree-heatshield?cmp_id=&rrType=ClickCP&rrProd=TNF3899

Also bags made for girls tend to be slightly overstuff since most women are cold sleepers. If the bag is too small Department of Goods has an excellent return policy.

The only reason I could see getting a rectangular bag is if you're a land whale and won't physically fit into a mummy bag.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 29, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I used a large 15F synthetic Big Agnes bag on a wide pad and it was freezing at 40F. Being a skinny guy, I could never manage to heat the areas sagging down to the left and right of the pad. Brrr. It's like wearing baggy clothes.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

PlasticSun posted:

Here's some down bags for an extra 40 bucks (REI is going to charge you tax most likely) http://www.departmentofgoods.com/lafuma-warmn-light-800ld-sleeping-bag-30-degree-down-womens

Or for an extra 60ish bucks a Marmot: http://www.departmentofgoods.com/marmot-angel-fire-sleeping-bag-25-degree-down-womens-mar1133

Also bags made for girls tend to be slightly overstuff since most women are cold sleepers. If the bag is too small Department of Goods has an excellent return policy.

The only reason I could see getting a rectangular bag is if you're a land whale and won't physically fit into a mummy bag.

Not a land whale, I just don't like feeling like I'm in a coffin. I generally sleep on my stomach, which is also difficult in a mummy bag.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

MotoMind posted:

I used a large 15F synthetic Big Agnes bag on a wide pad and it was freezing at 40F. Being a skinny guy, I could never manage to heat the areas sagging down to the left and right of the pad. Brrr. It's like wearing baggy clothes.

From your pictures I think you and I are pretty slender, lots of the Big Agnes bags are cut pretty roomy but if they're sealed up I've found them to be very warm. If heat can escape though any bag is going to be a let down.

On the plus side most bags have 2 way zips so if you do have a 0F oven and it's only getting down 30 at night you can unzip the lower half or roll the draft tube back to adjust the temp.

I've camped with some XXL sized friends who swear by the Big Agnes bags and claimed they were completely comfortable at night when the temps were in the teens in a 20F rated bag but as always YMMV.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

^^^^ This is true.

orthod0ks posted:

Not a land whale, I just don't like feeling like I'm in a coffin. I generally sleep on my stomach, which is also difficult in a mummy bag.

Stomach sleeping worked out OK for me. I'd just use the top fold of the bag as part of my pillow. Try out some bags at REI.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
All this camping talk has got me itching for spring, if any of you find yourselves in CO hit me up I know a handful of great moto-camping spots

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

MotoMind posted:

^^^^ This is true.

Stomach sleeping worked out OK for me. I'd just use the top fold of the bag as part of my pillow. Try out some bags at REI.

Yea, everyone may have convinced me to just suck it up and learn how to sleep on my back. This whole camping thing is somewhat new to me and my pampered rear end.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

PlasticSun posted:

All this camping talk has got me itching for spring, if any of you find yourselves in CO hit me up I know a handful of great moto-camping spots

pretty pictures

Yea, I'm jonesin, and those pics are beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I've got a Kelty, a Big Agnes and a Cat's meow from REI. One thing all of them have is a silk liner. I REALLY like having the silk liner inside the bag, it keeps you warmer when it's cold and stays cooler when it's hot. It also allows you to open the sleeping bag completely and still have a cover over you. In a pinch they can be used as a filter as well.

The big Agnes bag gets used by my buddy when he camps with us. He's 6' 1" and around 235. He fits in it fine, seems comfy and has never complained of being hot/cold. I sleep face down a and on my side a good bit, once you get used to a mummy bag you'll never go back. Add in a hammock and it feels like you're being held and rocked to sleep. (I don't use tents, just hammocks and lightweight bivvies)

Edit: I'll be going out for my first camping trip of the year next weekend hopefully. It's my intention to try and hit every campground in Cali over the next 5 years or so. I go out weekly to every other week, if anybody is ever rolling through the central coast feel free to get in touch with me. I know a lot of good off the beaten path spots.

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 29, 2012

• Locked thread