Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Man, the Lunar Limo is an awesome set but nobody warned me how drat long it is! It's easily over a foot, has a hinged cabin and a trunk, the missile launcher, all the things people were talking about a handful of pages ago. So glad I picked it up.

My only regret is that nowhere in the five huge boxes of legos I got do I have enough purple to put together additional accessories for Brick Daddy. I bet I still have my old moon baseplate, though, so I can work on building Brick Daddy's Pleasure Dome Asteroid Base, complete with his ultimate super-weapon, the Pimp Slap Cannon.

Brick Daddaaaayy~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Joramun posted:

It reminded me of the front of the car in the Ghostbusters cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih0hmi9s1cw

I think you mean Ghost Busters.
Ghostbusters is awesome, Ghost Busters sucks.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
All this talk over the past few pages of themes makes me want a 1920s theme. Lego prohibition! Lego gangsters! Lego flappers! :haw:

I'd totally dig a lego Model A.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sloppy posted:

I normally don't care much about new sets, but that's just awesome. I might have to pick it up. Is there an MSRP yet?

Edit: The ghosts do glow, right?

Train is $35, I believe.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Sockser posted:

Train is $35, I believe.

Close; it's $79.99.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN

Ville Valo posted:

Close; it's $79.99.

Too goddamn much for what it is, is my opinion.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

All this talk over the past few pages of themes makes me want a 1920s theme. Lego prohibition! Lego gangsters! Lego flappers! :haw:

There better be a Lego still and rum-runner/bootlegger. :colbert:

With a Popcorn Sutton minifig.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Don't forget double VIP points March 1-15 in the U.S. That translates to effectively 10% off. Good for stuff you know will never go on sale like Town Hall, Pet Shop, Unimog, Kingdoms Joust, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat, may have to get those Mini Modulars.

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011
Town Hall is available today!

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Town-Hall-10224

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

John Carstairs posted:

Oh ho ho, glad to help. Here's one more:

I'm pretty sure this one was at least three separate Dino-Riders toys.

Back view. I'm working with a really limited parts supply, so most of these came off the other two...

That's pretty cool. My boys and I built robot wings for the pteryodactal, They have since been taken off and the bird is now a missle. I'll have to dig them out and take a picture.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Ville Valo posted:

Close; it's $79.99.

poo poo, yeah. I'm thinking of the Hearse. Whooooops.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Now here's a build setup!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYLMCepxNkU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lord Ryan posted:

Town Hall is available today!

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Town-Hall-10224

And I get paid tomorrow! Oh man!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BizarroAzrael posted:

I love these in particular, how would I go about getting started if I wanted to do this sort of thing myself, with no collection to speak of? Just get Bionicle kits and get a collection of parts together? Are the appropriate parts sold in the "Pick'n'mix" sections of Lego stores? (though I don't think there are any near me now)
Bionicle as a series is finished and has been for a year or two now I believe. So, many of the parts are out of production and not available at all in Lego stores, however if you start here:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=273

It has a list of every Bionicle-originating piece. As well, there are the Kanohi Masks, the collectible masks that continued through the series:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=235

Kanohi Masks can be used to great effect in the proper places, as shown on many of the examples I posted. I've found when building robot or mecha MOCs, certain ones such as the Kanohi Mahiki and Komau can make for excellent shoulders or feet that have detail and style without using a lot of parts.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47309
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47307

As well, since those two are masks that came in the actual sets themselves rather than the random mask packs, they are absolutely dirt cheap. Meanwhile, most of the randomly-colored masks from the mask packs are very expensive, often running a minimum of 3-5 dollars, and some of the extremely rare misprint colors can go for ten times that. This can get hairy if you're wanting to use a particular mask in a specific color for a specific color theme.

One part I would suggest purchasing above all else if you plan on making MOCs with joints is Rubberized Ball Sockets. It can support far more weight than a regular ball socket, and has a different design than the normal one as well.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x1192px1
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x1192px3

You can also try Ebay. There are many auctions for big bunches of Bionicle sets/parts, and they aren't really that expensive, generally going pound-for-pound for as much as normal Lego does.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

You can also try Ebay. There are many auctions for big bunches of Bionicle sets/parts, and they aren't really that expensive, generally going pound-for-pound for as much as normal Lego does.

Yeah, when I was making my original bulk purchases I bought a 20 pound box of bionicle for something like sixty bucks. Haters aside, I figured I could probably make good use of it somehow. Especially those ball socket joints...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Isn't Hero Factory basically Bionicle, though?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Travis343 posted:

Isn't Hero Factory basically Bionicle, though?

Somewhere in Bilund there is an anguished cry. "someone on the Internet worked it out!"

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Had a snow day or something at work, so I went and bought more Creator sets to fiddle with. :toot:

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
A good day today. Picked up the Maersk train for $95 and double points. The box had been opened but the set's complete, stickers and all.
It's a nice build so far, it's a shame that the sides of the engine aren't hinged to better show off the engine detail they put into it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I bought the MegaBlocks Falcon and it's actually really well built. MegaBlocks have some a long way, and I am probably picking up a few more Halo sets even though I'm not a big Halo fan...they just look super badass.

MegaBlocks does some neat 'illegal' lego bits too which would be great in mocs. One in particular is a flat 2x1 with a 1x1 coming out of the middle, so you get basically an offset.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Tanith posted:

Had a snow day or something at work, so I went and bought more Creator sets to fiddle with. :toot:

so you called out sick to play with lego?

:denmark::respek::denmark:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Wasn't the Town Hall meant to be more expensive than the other modulars? In :australia:, at least, it costs the same as the Grand Emporium and less than the other two, even though it has the most pieces.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Sockser posted:

so you called out sick to play with lego?

:denmark::respek::denmark:

Work called me, actually! :v:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Krazyface posted:

Wasn't the Town Hall meant to be more expensive than the other modulars? In :australia:, at least, it costs the same as the Grand Emporium and less than the other two, even though it has the most pieces.

It's $199 in the US.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

I think they had plans to do that at one point but it was never released. There was a photo floating around of the concept models. It actually looked really cool, not sure why it never made it into production.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Elendil004 posted:

I bought the MegaBlocks Falcon and it's actually really well built. MegaBlocks have some a long way, and I am probably picking up a few more Halo sets even though I'm not a big Halo fan...they just look super badass.

MegaBlocks does some neat 'illegal' lego bits too which would be great in mocs. One in particular is a flat 2x1 with a 1x1 coming out of the middle, so you get basically an offset.

Most if not all lego bricks follow a mathematical design. That's why most everything fits together properly, and for example, 3 2x2 plates stacked exactly equal one 2x2 brick.

Janderbuilt
Mar 7, 2008

WoOt
So I got a little tub of MegaBloks for Christmas and it sat there for a while; neglected, unloved and isolated from the larger tub of real Lego.

I figured I'd make the best of the situation and check them out. I remembered how I always built things as a kid, making a lot of reinforced pivots.

Look at those boring wheels!

What I remember building mostly were robots like this rainbow warrior but with closer to human articulation, using brackets and turntables.

Grraahhhh!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Elendil004 posted:

You mean like this?

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Hey guys,

Is there a place to get a realistic price on rare sets? I got a 1952 set (promo milk truck) from the promotion back in 1989 that according to ebay is worth something. (The only listing I can find is $2000 for a sealed box - which seem expensive)

Any good ideas?

vv - yeah, found that site a minute after posting. Good Job, self. And thanks.

Lars fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 2, 2012

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Lars posted:

Hey guys,

Is there a place to get a realistic price on rare sets? I got a 1952 set (promo milk truck) from the promotion back in 1989 that according to ebay is worth something. (The only listing I can find is $2000 for a sealed box - which seem expensive)

Any good ideas?

Bricklink.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

InfinEight posted:

You mean like this?

You mean this piece?

Also: Which is the better build/display piece: Pet Shop or Grand Emporium? Right now my current collection consists of Emerald Night but I plan on expanding it.

I might spend the extra bucks and get the Town Hall just for the photographer :v:

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Kazy posted:

Which is the better build/display piece: Pet Shop or Grand Emporium? Right now my current collection consists of Emerald Night but I plan on expanding it.

I might spend the extra bucks and get the Town Hall just for the photographer :v:

I would say go for the Town Hall if you can spare the extra cash, but if you have to decide between the emporium and the pet shop, I'd go for the emporium for sure.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

Rythe posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet so here is a neat interview/article http://www.wlwt.com/r/30568783/detail.html CNN did with the creator of this.

Not only do I love Lego, I love Mario Brother just as much and this level was hell but looks amazing in Lego.

I've actually known the guy who does these for about 10 years now, since our days at the G4TV.com forums, I hung with him in NYC once or twice, he's a great guy.

The rest of his stuff is here: http://vonbrunk.tumblr.com/

I'm a fan of:

Serious Michael fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 2, 2012

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

InfinEight posted:

You mean like this?

No like this only not drawn in mspaint.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Janderbuilt posted:

Look at those boring wheels!

The gaps between those blue pieces in the back are driving me crazy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Janderbuilt posted:

So I got a little tub of MegaBloks for Christmas and it sat there for a while; neglected, unloved and isolated from the larger tub of real Lego.

Huh.

I've never caught myself booing at a computer screen before.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
See? This is the pain that fake Lego brings us. Fake Lego makers seem very easy with making 'illegal' bricks too, like bricks with studs on both the top and bottom. Or the studless brick as Character Building have made. It's a hole on both sides!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fooley posted:

The gaps between those blue pieces in the back are driving me crazy.

Yeah, it's kinda cool that you can make joints and put pieces at angles, but if it comes at the price of keeping the pieces tightly fitting together, it's not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

So I'm trying to construct a (somewhat) life size gladius out of lego. The blade is made out of 4X8 plates, reinforced with other plates (4X10s, 4X12s, and various 2X## long plates). I haven't made the point yet, but I have plenty of pieces to make it. My real question is how to connect the blade to a hilt without it being a major weak point. Any ideas would be very helpful.