Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Why use Relm when Terra has much better equipment options and Sabin has a more useful ability?

wait wait, I agree with the rest of your post, but well, I have nothing better to do than dispute this. Both of them get the Mystery Veil, and the Behemoth Suit, while having worse defenses than the Minerva, has excellent stat boosts (read: Magic), and Relm's best weapon has enough copies for all three characters who want it. Terra can use the Illumina/Lightbringer, which is harder to get and four characters want to use (with only one copy outside of the Advance version) and her next best option is the Enhancer which is....about equal to the Magus Rod. In addition, Relm has a higher natural Magic power, giving her even more raw damage than Terra. Terra gets better defenses, but Relm can put out strong damage just as easily.

And versus Sabin? Blitz is great, don't mistake me, but there's a very small portion of the game where Sabin's power outdoes Relm, and it's called "before Relm learns level 2 (for Floating Continent) or level 3 (rest of game) spells". That's about it, and Sabin's horrible defenses aren't doing him any favors. At least Relm gets a bunch of Magic Evade from her equipment.

so, basically, no shortselling Relm. Cyan on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

George posted:

Most of the monster designs are pretty awesome, and I'll defend the sphere grid the same way I defend the license grid: if more care and player choice had been injected into it, it would have been amazing.

I'll give you monster designs, but the copious amounts of reskinning that was in that game was almost criminal, even for a Final Fantasy. As for the sphere grid system, all I can say is gently caress the whole drat thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The Elemental designs are actually not reskins at all. Most of them are model-ifications of the temple insignias, but those do look similar. I actually can't think of a lot of reskinning in the game until you reach the Calm Lands, and even then you'll run into a good share of unique enemies in Gagazet, Zanarkand, and that desert. You're probably thinking of X-2, which of course has FFX's normal lineup of monsters, but most of them are just variants on themselves. Still, gently caress that desert. Unique enemies are one thing, but all nintendo deserts suck visually (except Secret of Mana because that desert had life in it). At least Romancing SaGa 3's desert had poo poo to see on the horizon sometimes.

The problem with equipment that gives +stats to anything other than Stamina, in FF6, is the fact that stats are obsoleted and everything easily just does straight 9999 once you get third-tier spells. Vigor, too, I suppose, since the Offering splits your attack strength.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 2, 2012

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Once you get to the Calm Lands though, even with the fair share of unique enemies, there's still a vast majority of reskins for "new" monsters. I can understand for flans and stuff, but it really was a shame to see so many monsters just be a different color than another from when I was running around an easier area 20 years ago. Maybe I was just spoiled by Final Fantasy 9, which, as far as I can recall, didn't have ANY reskins, with the exception of the very final 2 screens of the game with reskinned versions of late-game bosses as normal enemies.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Unless they fixed Relm's Sketch for the GBA, her unique ability can change the pace of the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kalonZombie posted:

Once you get to the Calm Lands though, even with the fair share of unique enemies, there's still a vast majority of reskins for "new" monsters. I can understand for flans and stuff, but it really was a shame to see so many monsters just be a different color than another from when I was running around an easier area 20 years ago. Maybe I was just spoiled by Final Fantasy 9, which, as far as I can recall, didn't have ANY reskins, with the exception of the very final 2 screens of the game with reskinned versions of late-game bosses as normal enemies.

FF8 didn't have reskins either, but that's more because of the monster leveling gimmick.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Unless they fixed Relm's Sketch for the GBA, her unique ability can change the pace of the game.

They did, but there's no reason* to ever use Sketch anyway, so it doesn't matter.

*excepting the one or two occasions where it's not a horrible option in the interest of getting Lores or oneshotting the boss guarding the Offering.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

kalonZombie posted:

I'll give you monster designs, but the copious amounts of reskinning that was in that game was almost criminal, even for a Final Fantasy. As for the sphere grid system, all I can say is gently caress the whole drat thing.

I'm not what you'd call a fan of the game, but all the sphere grid really does is break your levels down into tiny pieces and give you the illusion of choice. Not exactly significant unless you make the choices real, but hardly something to get mad about.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Brainamp posted:

I've always loved how the thing is more of a sword in name only.

I've always run with the theory that the Buster Sword was made after reading up about mideval european swords. Those were giant hunks of metal that were more bludgeoning weapons than slashing ones themselves, though they obviously weren't as exaggerated as cloud's.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Valgaav posted:

I've always run with the theory that the Buster Sword was made after reading up about mideval european swords. Those were giant hunks of metal that were more bludgeoning weapons than slashing ones themselves, though they obviously weren't as exaggerated as cloud's.

That was a lie spread by early rapier masters in order to get more students, which has since been assumed to be true. The average long sword, or bastard sword (the terms are fairly interchangeable, and refer to a sword which may be used with one hand or two), was about as heavy (3-4 lb) and as sharp, but only a little longer, than an average katana, and it was certainly no heavier than an early rapier. Against someone in plate armour, it wouldn't do much cutting, that I'll grant you, but that's because plate armour was built to counter swords, not the other way around.

There were other weapons designed for defeating plate armour; most of them either built to pierce through plate's few weak points or to bludgeon the wearer about the head until he could no longer resist someone putting a dagger through his visor. The sword was built for neither purpose, and against someone in anything less than chain (that is, anyone who wasn't a noble, because only they could afford it), the sword was very much a cutting weapon.

That little derail aside, the Buster Sword could have been made based on the common myth of the european sword; that of a two handed, 60lb beast of a thing that not even Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime could ever have hoped to wield effectively.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hectorgrey posted:

That little derail aside, the Buster Sword could have been made based on the common myth of the european sword; that of a two handed, 60lb beast of a thing that not even Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime could ever have hoped to wield effectively.

I myself am of the mindset that swords in the FF7 universe simply went down a developmental path that favored aesthetics over utility. I mean, look at our notable swords in-game - Cloud has a giant wedge of barely-tempered iron that looks more like a boat oar than a sword, and Sephiroth uses a blade so long and thin that the only thing wispier-looking is his hair.

The Materia in the weapons is the only thing keeping them from collapsing upon themselves in a pile of worthless scrap, as of such.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

that looks more like a boat oar than a sword
Oh gods, it just clicked. Anyone else here familiar with japanese sword-myth?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Valgaav posted:

Oh gods, it just clicked. Anyone else here familiar with japanese sword-myth?

Are you talking about the famous duel between Miyamoto Musashi and Sasaki Kojiro on the island of Funajima, where Musashi killed Kojiro with a wooden sword said to have been carved from a boat oar?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

I myself am of the mindset that swords in the FF7 universe simply went down a developmental path that favored aesthetics over utility. I mean, look at our notable swords in-game - Cloud has a giant wedge of barely-tempered iron that looks more like a boat oar than a sword, and Sephiroth uses a blade so long and thin that the only thing wispier-looking is his hair.

The Materia in the weapons is the only thing keeping them from collapsing upon themselves in a pile of worthless scrap, as of such.

When you think about it, the Buster Sword makes the ATB system more realistic. Cloud can only attack once before he has to take a little breather, and everyone else is too polite to point it out to him, so they just wait until he's ready again.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It also explains his Popeye arms :v:

"Where's me goil, Sefiross? Agagagagaga!"

[e]: :D
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 2, 2012

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus Christ, Pesky Splinter. Jesus Christ.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Haha what the gently caress? I am laughing way harder at that then I should be.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
All of Cloud's weapons are cut elemental.

Even that one.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Waffleman_ posted:

Are you talking about the famous duel between Miyamoto Musashi and Sasaki Kojiro on the island of Funajima, where Musashi killed Kojiro with a wooden sword said to have been carved from a boat oar?

I thought it was a plain boat oar, not even carved. And I thought he didnt kill, just utterly humiliate with expert swordsmanship.

"Pesky Splinter posted:

Perfection.

That makes so much sense on so many levels.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I thought it was a plain boat oar, not even carved. And I thought he didnt kill, just utterly humiliate with expert swordsmanship.

He killed, he was quite the rear end in a top hat.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brainamp posted:

He killed, he was quite the rear end in a top hat.

It must have been quite hilarious. If some parts of the wikipedia page are to be believed he hopped on to the island, poked the guy dead after he swung once then hopped back onto the boat chased by an angry mob.

hectorgrey posted:

That was a lie spread by early rapier masters in order to get more students, which has since been assumed to be true. The average long sword, or bastard sword (the terms are fairly interchangeable, and refer to a sword which may be used with one hand or two), was about as heavy (3-4 lb) and as sharp, but only a little longer, than an average katana, and it was certainly no heavier than an early rapier. Against someone in plate armour, it wouldn't do much cutting, that I'll grant you, but that's because plate armour was built to counter swords, not the other way around.

There were other weapons designed for defeating plate armour; most of them either built to pierce through plate's few weak points or to bludgeon the wearer about the head until he could no longer resist someone putting a dagger through his visor. The sword was built for neither purpose, and against someone in anything less than chain (that is, anyone who wasn't a noble, because only they could afford it), the sword was very much a cutting weapon.

I would think the heaviest sword would have been the Zweihander and related European two handed swords, and they never exceeded 11 pounds, Ceremonial swords being the ones that tended towards the 11 pound mark.

There aren't any surviving (or any if at all) teachings on fencing with these, their job was mainly to hack through a pike wall into slice up the pikemen to create openings in formations. I think they were also used to punch through armor when wielded by two men. They were as finely balanced as long swords would have and just as sharp. It's a shame that they are so misrepresented in modern fiction, as is most of the medieval times.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Pesky Splinter posted:

VVV

"I ams what I ams and thats all that I ams, I'm Cloud Strife the SOLDER Man!"

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Piss him off and he will down a can of Mako before beating you to a pulp.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
IT'S BLUTO

dun dun dun daaaaa

IT'S BLUTO

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Macaluso posted:

Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
IT'S BLUTO

dun dun dun daaaaa

IT'S BLUTO

Wow. That's just...

I can't even parse that, but I've got a big goofy grin on my face now.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

hectorgrey posted:

I get the feeling that the massive hunk of metal being called a sword is based off Berserk's Dragon Slayer.

That, in extension, could have also been based off the myth. Life is complicated.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 2, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Macaluso posted:

Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
IT'S BLUTO

dun dun dun daaaaa

IT'S BLUTO

:effort:

And I'm not even going to attempt Aerith Oyle.

[e]: As you wish,

sorry Elentor, I'll stop now.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 2, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pesky Splinter posted:

Tifa Oyle then.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pesky Splinter posted:

Madness has brought us to this place. It shall be our undoing.

Twiddy posted:

I get the feeling that the massive hunk metal being called a sword is based off Berserk's Dragon Slayer.

That, in extension, could have also been based off the myth. Life is complicated.

Yea, me too. I'd like to know where Miura took his inspiration for the sword from (besides Guts being obviously based off a certain mercenary and Miura denying it to death).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Pesky Splinter posted:

VVV

You sir, win the loving thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
When they sing songs of this thread, page 150 and Pesky Splinter will receive their own verse.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bottles of olive oil suplexing Bishie Bluto.
I would pay to see that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Finally got caught up on the whole thread; had a long flight home so I queued up the last 20 or so pages I had to read, let all the pictures load, and read it on the plane. Thanks for the free in-flight entertainment, Elentor!

Pesky Splinter posted:

VVV

Pesky Splinter posted:

Perfection.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

That's the one.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm actually thinking the swords we see were built under the assumption that guys with super powers would wield them. Might also explain why (outside of weapons shops all carrying them) the only guys we see using swords are in/were in SOLDIER.

Probably best not to over think the world building though. After all, Cloud and co. didn't really need the Golden Shiny Wire of Hope when according to Advent Children they could have just jumped to the top of the Shinra building in about fifteen seconds.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons everyone in-universe thinks Sephiroth was so amazing is that he's the only person that can use such an incredibly stupid sword.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

The Sharmat posted:

Probably best not to over think the world building though. After all, Cloud and co. didn't really need the Golden Shiny Wire of Hope when according to Advent Children they could have just jumped to the top of the Shinra building in about fifteen seconds.

They had done a lot more grinding by Advent Children and maxed their levels and materia. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Big Mad Drongo posted:

That's the one.

This will never stop being funny.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nuggan posted:

They had done a lot more grinding by Advent Children and maxed their levels and materia. :colbert:

You mean there's a "Slice Building in Two" Materia!? And is it related to Vincent's "Dramatic Cutscene Jump" materia from DoC, which allows him to jump a mile into the atmosphere in cutscenes, but only two feet in game play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Pesky Splinter posted:

You mean there's a "Slice Building in Two" Materia!? And is it related to Vincent's "Dramatic Cutscene Jump" materia from DoC, which allows him to jump a mile into the atmosphere in cutscenes, but only two feet in game play?

Wait, you mean Vincent can jump in gameplay?

Oh, missed the DoC. Never played that. (or at least I haven't in so long I can barely remember it) Probably for the best.

• Locked thread