Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1) It's outside influence so no goal. Interesting though because while that stadium layout shouldn't happen, what about if a ball bounces off a stadium's roof?

2) Yes. The attackers can't play the ball from there so I actually call that obstruction no?

3) He left as part of play, I'm not seeing any problem here.

EDIT : Ah I see he was "offside" when the ball was kicked. Ding him for offside then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
1) I guess this is similar to the balloon on the pitch at anfield so a drop ball?
2) Let them do it, I don't really see an issue.
3) Didn't Crespo do something similar to this against Arsenal years ago? Can you even be offside if you're not on the pitch? I'm going to say the goal stands because it's YATF and that is how it rolls.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Redundant posted:

3) Didn't Crespo do something similar to this against Arsenal years ago? Can you even be offside if you're not on the pitch? I'm going to say the goal stands because it's YATF and that is how it rolls.

You can play someone on if your off the pitch, so it stands to reason that you can be offside as far as I can see.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

quote:

Keith Hackett's verdict

1) There's nothing you can do about the pitch dimensions as the match is under way. So treat this as you would if the ball struck any other outside agent: stop play and restart with a dropped ball directly beneath where it hit the roof. Thanks to Colin Vickers.

2) No. This is perfectly legal. Players can stand anywhere on the field of play: the only criterion is that the defending players must be at least 9.15m from the ball. But clearly you need to keep an eye on what happens next: it is a potential flashpoint. Thanks to Matt Beal.

3) No. The winger did nothing wrong by leaving the pitch without permission because it was a normal part of a move. But when the ball is then played back towards him by a team-mate while he remains off the field, you must treat his position as though he was standing on the touchline itself. So he was effectively in an offside position, and became actively involved when he received and played the ball. The defender's movement is irrelevant. Disallow the goal, and restart with a free-kick.
Carl Grinnell wins the shirt.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bam, 3/3.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

It's Friday!

1) Give the offside, it occurred before the trip.

2) Honestly? Not a clue. Punch yourself in the face having had the captains call out which nostril blood comes out of first.

3) Can you even be carded in a penalty shootout? Anyway, make him take the penalty and write a scathing report on him.

V V V Then the assistant should call over the referee (assuming he's about to give a penalty) to tell him that the attacking player was offside before the trip happened and that he just didn't have enough time to raise his flag. Although as far as being the ref goes yeah you'd give a pen initially.

Overminty fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 2, 2012

Scienide
Sep 29, 2006

Gunplay...
EFB

1/ Penalty, he wasn't adjudged to be offside when the foul happened because no-one had time to call it...
2/ Ask someone for a coin. There are at least 22 people there. Someone has to have some shrapnel in their kit bag.
3/ Send him off and allow the shoot out to continue. Enter incident into the match report and state your suspicions.

Scienide fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 2, 2012

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID
1) Just because the assistant hadn't raised his flag yet doesn't mean he's not going to be ruled offside. No penalty.
2) Go for it. Who doesn't love a good game of rock, paper, scissors?
3) Send him off, write it up, and punch their team's strongest penalty taker in the face.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The usual thing to do in the no-coin situation is "which hand is the whistle in?", which works fine as long as you remember to take it off the cord first. Show me a referee who's never done it and I'll show you a lying bastard.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
1. Offsides unless the foul was a violent play
2. If neither sides cares, do it
3. Send off. Pretty sure this is a repeat

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
1. I'm leaning towards penalty, assuming trip him up means violent. Yes, he was offside, but it seems like it would be if an attacker was in an offside position without the ball coming near him and the defender hacked him. They're not fair game just because they're offside. If it wasn't violent, then offside. I guess I'm aiming at calling the worse infraction.

2. Do it assuming both sides agree. It's not as fair or independent as a coin, but it's probably fair enough.

3. Send him off. Write it in the report. gently caress playing a guessing game as to intent.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
1. Play the offside, but yellow to the defender as it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity. Once the offside has happened, technically the game isn't in play anymore so it's not a penalty offence. If the ball was 50 feet away and he'd fouled him in the box, it wouldn't be a penalty.

2. Yeah, fine, whatever. I reckon there will probably be a specific mention of a cointoss in the rules, but don't be a dick. No-one cares.

3. Difficult. I'm really not sure, but I say send him off, match report, move on to the next player.

Do teams inform the referee who's going to be taking the kicks in any "official" capacity? If they've said "number 8 will take the 11th one", and then he does that, then I'd send him off and declare his penalty a miss. In fact, I think I'd declare it a miss even if they don't because he's the last taker, so as soon as the 10th taker went up, the spot was reserved for him by default. So yeah, changed my mind, going with declare it as a miss.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 2, 2012

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
1) Offside, and since "trip" doesn't sound particularly violent just leave it at that. If it was in some way violent give a card to warrant the severity of the violence, still offside though.
2) I'd allow it because that's just how I roll. Which hand is the whistle in is probably faster though.
3) Send him off, write it in the report.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Hoops posted:

1. Play the offside, but yellow to the defender as it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity. Once the offside has happened, technically the game isn't in play anymore so it's not a penalty offence. If the ball was 50 feet away and he'd fouled him in the box, it wouldn't be a penalty.

Really I thought free kicks happened where the offence took place, if a winger has it near the touchline and a defender starts lamping strikers before its crossed im pretty sure thats a penalty.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

1. Offside, the play is effectively stopped when the ref decides, not when he whistles or the lino flags. No punishment for the defender unless it's dangerous.

2. I'll take Trin's word on this one.

3. Send him off, of course, but then make the other team nominate an outfield player to not take a penalty, same as if it's 10 v 11 at the start of a shootout.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Trin Tragula posted:

The usual thing to do in the no-coin situation is "which hand is the whistle in?", which works fine as long as you remember to take it off the cord first. Show me a referee who's never done it and I'll show you a lying bastard.

I like the "1 or 2 behind my back" method. And yeah, it happens to everyone.

Mickolution posted:

3. Send him off, of course, but then make the other team nominate an outfield player to not take a penalty, same as if it's 10 v 11 at the start of a shootout.

After KFTPM has started, you don't reduce to equate. Why? Who knows.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
1) Offside + yellow for the defender
2) Play guess the whistle, or if you're feeling particularly stickler-y, see if anyone on the sideline has a coin, then invite fans in the crowd to throw coins at you, you deserve it.
3) Red card the kick taker and punch him in the face.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I thought offsides aren't technically offside until the player receives the ball or is obviously going for it, which is why defenders can score own goals whilst intercepting a pass to a player who is offside, or why a ball can seemingly be played to an offside player and then another player can run onto it if the first player ignores the ball.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ravel posted:

I thought offsides aren't technically offside until the player receives the ball or is obviously going for it, which is why defenders can score own goals whilst intercepting a pass to a player who is offside, or why a ball can seemingly be played to an offside player and then another player can run onto it if the first player ignores the ball.

I don't think this counts as that, because the player is obviously involved in play by being fouled. In the case of the defender own goal, Hackett's verdict was "You can't tell what the defender would have done if the striker hadn't been there" but here it would be impossible for the defender to foul a striker who's not there. But he is there, so it should be an offside.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Overminty posted:

It's Friday!

1)Unless the defender fouled him hard I call offsides.
2)Why the hell not, or you could it xfl style and place the ball in the middle of the pitch with two players from each team make a run for it.
3)Card him and make the team pick a sub for him?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Scikar posted:

I think it means the keeper can't punch a cross into the air and then catch it, as opposed to saving it with an open palm and not being able to keep hold of it.

Interestingly, in the England Holland game, the ball was going for a corner, so Joe Hart ran to the side of his goal, jumped up and parried the ball forward into play and then as he slowed down to get back to the ball he caught it.

He was in violation of this rule as far as I could tell but it wasn't given.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

angry armadillo posted:

Interestingly, in the England Holland game, the ball was going for a corner, so Joe Hart ran to the side of his goal, jumped up and parried the ball forward into play and then as he slowed down to get back to the ball he caught it.

He was in violation of this rule as far as I could tell but it wasn't given.

It depends how it's done really. If a keeper parries/punches it up then catches as a way to waste time it isn't allowed, while a save followed by catch/smother is fine. Keeping it from being a corner is a save of kinds.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Trin Tragula posted:

Hackett's answer includes an anecdote about a "well-known" ref who tossed a chocolate biscuit in lieu of a coin, and then snacked on it prior to a throw-in. Any guesses on the ref in question?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Keith Hackett posted:

1) A great question. Being in an offside position is no longer an offence in itself: you need to judge this on whether or not the striker was involved in active play. If the outcome is inevitable in that the striker would have received the pass, penalise him for being offside. You may also have to show the defender a yellow or red card if the trip was reckless or using excessive force (serious foul play). But had another attacker, moving in from an onside position, received the pass, you can then play advantage – unless the foul was a red-card offence. David Grace wins the shirt.

2) Sounds like a reasonable idea in the circumstances. The Law does say "a coin is tossed..." but really any agreed method of deciding which team attacks which goal is acceptable. I remember one well-known referee once found himself in this situation: all he had in his pocket was a chocolate biscuit, so he tossed that. He was later seen eating it during a throw-in. Thanks to Luke Surl.

3) Sadly, he has tricked the system. You cannot record his kick as a miss, so his side can now take the kick using any one of their previous 10 penalty takers. He will receive the standard three-match ban. Thanks to Stuart Henderson.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kwik posted:

Hackett's answer includes an anecdote about a "well-known" ref who tossed a chocolate biscuit in lieu of a coin, and then snacked on it prior to a throw-in. Any guesses on the ref in question?

Phil Dowd?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The guy who issued three yellow cards to the same guy in a world cup game?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Number 3 sounds like something that really should be fixed. I doubt it's ever even occured to most players to be honest, but if you're in a cup final you could have your 4 worst penalty takers get themselves sent off with basically no consequences. The other team could then do the same thing I suppose, but that's hardly a good thing for the sport.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well, there are consequences. You get an automatic three game ban, more if you've already had bad discipline and, I imagine, more would get tacked on after the fact because your act was clearly deliberate. So there are consequences. That being said, I think most players would take subsequent bans in order to win a cup final shootout. If it was a choice between 'Win the CL, be banned for some games next season' and 'don't win the CL, be ready to play next season' I think I know what most players would pick.

That being said, it is a pretty terrible loophole that probably should be closed.

E: also if you're going to punch a player, who not go all-out and try to injure the opposition goalkeeper? If the other team has used all their subs, they'll need to put an outfield player in goal for the rest of the shootout, which may give you an advantage.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Well, there are consequences. You get an automatic three game ban, more if you've already had bad discipline and, I imagine, more would get tacked on after the fact because your act was clearly deliberate. So there are consequences. That being said, I think most players would take subsequent bans in order to win a cup final shootout. If it was a choice between 'Win the CL, be banned for some games next season' and 'don't win the CL, be ready to play next season' I think I know what most players would pick.

That being said, it is a pretty terrible loophole that probably should be closed.

E: also if you're going to punch a player, who not go all-out and try to injure the opposition goalkeeper? If the other team has used all their subs, they'll need to put an outfield player in goal for the rest of the shootout, which may give you an advantage.

well, you'd get even longer for that i assume.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

vyelkin posted:

I get the feeling that if someone actually TRIED that in a cup final, the governing body in question would make their displeasure known by dropping the proverbial hammer on not just the player in question, but probably the manager and the club as well.

And theoretically, that would qualify as a blatantly unsportsmanlike act, or however the Laws define it, and couldn't the referee abandon the match then and there anyway?

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

vyelkin posted:

Would maybe chriminal charges apply? There is a lot of leeway during the match (heat of the moment and all that) but now everyone is standing still in the midcircle

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Hoops posted:

Number 3 sounds like something that really should be fixed. I doubt it's ever even occured to most players to be honest, but if you're in a cup final you could have your 4 worst penalty takers get themselves sent off with basically no consequences. The other team could then do the same thing I suppose, but that's hardly a good thing for the sport.

i hope Real Madrid beats Barcelona in the Champions League finals this way

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

On the chocolate biscuit question, I just found out that Andy D'Urso is somehow still on the Football League referees' list despite how absolutely nobody likes him, so I'd like to think it was him.

(It'll really have been someone from days gone by like Gordon Hill or Roger Milford, who fancied themselves to be a 'character'.)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I'd have my money on Jeff Winter personally.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
1. If it's accidental (as in the guy tackling is trying to get either the ball or the player actually involved in play), gently caress him. What's he doing that close to the pitch anyway. Too bad. If it's purposeful, send the tackler off for reckless behaviour or whatever it's called.

2. Trust your assistant and play on but make a note of it in your report. You can only take action based on things you see yourself or things your assistants report to you. Neither is the case here. The FA can review it later.

3. Tell him to go get it removed for starters, it's equipment outside the LOAF. He can come back on when it's fixed. Yellow card for unsporting behaviour for good measure. Definitely put it in the report too, big fat fine for the club later.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
It seems like the more of these they do, the more weird and theoretical the situations become, and as a result the answer is more and more often to "write it down in your report and let the FA fix it later".

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

the sex ghost posted:

1) It's an accident so tough poo poo.

2) Replace him with the fourth official and note it in your match report.

3) Get the wire removed or the head gear replaced; yellow card; stick it in your match report.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

The Mash posted:

It seems like the more of these they do, the more weird and theoretical the situations become, and as a result the answer is more and more often to "write it down in your report and let the FA fix it later".

Maybe they should do a spin-off series "You are the FA". But I suppose every answer would be: "Claim lunch on your expense account then do whatever the newspapers are clamouring for you to do".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

The Mash posted:

Aliens replace every member of both teams with Gary Neville clones. They are all swarming around you, incensed over something you may or may not have done. What do you do?

• Locked thread