Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I am kind of behind, due to shenanigans, or I'd have said so already but for those of you on Book 3: Pay close attention to Mat's POV chapters. In making up for not being a perspective character for the first two books, he proceeds to do AT LEAST one incredibly badass thing every time he grabs the spotlight. Count 'em. Mat is the best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I am kind of behind, due to shenanigans, or I'd have said so already but for those of you on Book 3: Pay close attention to Mat's POV chapters. In making up for not being a perspective character for the first two books, he proceeds to do AT LEAST one incredibly badass thing every time he grabs the spotlight. Count 'em. Mat is the best character.

He is, also I believe that it's either in this set of chapters or the next that Sanderson said a Checkov's gun was armed, and is supposed to be fired in the last book.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

berenzen posted:

He is, also I believe that it's either in this set of chapters or the next that Sanderson said a Checkov's gun was armed, and is supposed to be fired in the last book.

I'm looking for the quote, but coming up empty. I believe that it was the last third of the book.

The popular theory is its the 13x13 trick which is a pretty big deal considering we have never seen it happen.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Found it, right here.

http://twitter.com/#!/BrandSanderson/statuses/119894890170683392

It's in both this set and the next set of chapters. 30-40.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

omnibobb posted:

I'm looking for the quote, but coming up empty. I believe that it was the last third of the book.

The popular theory is its the 13x13 trick which is a pretty big deal considering we have never seen it happen.

What is the 13x13 trick ?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ramadu posted:

What is the 13x13 trick ?

If you haven't read TDR chapter 22, you shouldn't be reading spoilers.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I'm in the middle of book 4, and I already don't remember exactly what he's referring to. Is it the "13 myrdraal and 13 black ajah can turn a person to the shadow" thing?

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

omnibobb posted:

For me, books 3-6 are the high point of the series.

Agreed completely. I am having a really hard time stopping myself now so I don't get ahead. I just want to keep reading.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

If you really wanna torture yourself, read as much as you want up to about halfway through LOC, (ch.21 as of today I think), and then limit yourself to a chapter a day. You'll finish the day before the last book comes out. I'm doing that because I am insane.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Quad posted:

I'm in the middle of book 4, and I already don't remember exactly what he's referring to. Is it the "13 myrdraal and 13 black ajah can turn a person to the shadow" thing?

Yeah that.

AreYouStillThere posted:

Agreed completely. I am having a really hard time stopping myself now so I don't get ahead. I just want to keep reading.

I know - it's so good. I've been about a week behind this whole reread, but I'm almost done with this weeks reading already.

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 28, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Did they ever explain why it takes 13 Aes Sedai and 13 Myrdraal, other than it just does?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Cartoon Man posted:

Did they ever explain why it takes 13 Aes Sedai and 13 Myrdraal, other than it just does?

It's something about the weaves, probably some form of compulsion, are actually woven through the Myrdraal then into the victim.

Why specifically 13? :iiam:

Probably cause it's spOoooOOOoooOoOoooky

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

omnibobb posted:

It's something about the weaves, probably some form of compulsion, are actually woven through the Myrdraal then into the victim.

drat, you should pick up some the Myrdraal powers by having this done to you, like the ability to fade into shadows and the fear stare.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Cartoon Man posted:

drat, you should pick up some the Myrdraal powers by having this done to you, like the ability to fade into shadows and the fear stare.

It's probably that the weave picks up some of the (I want to say "taint" here, but not taint because thats something else thats specific in these books) aura? of the shadow. Like percolating water through coffee grounds?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Cartoon Man posted:

13 is the biggest circle you can make without including a man, probably something to do with that. And yeah, I think they use the Myrdrall like an angreal or something. It's never really been elaborated on as far as I recall, since none of the main characters are dreadlords.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 28, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Loony theory: each myrdraal is kind of like a true power ter'angreal with universal one power access.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Just found this thread yesterday. I'm about 1/3 into Fires of Heaven right now. I'm going to put the book down until I'm at the same level as the thread.

I've been super enjoying going back over the series. The last time I did a full re-read was when Path of Daggers came out, so this was been a real treat seeing the beginning again.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Jedit posted:

If you haven't read TDR chapter 22, you shouldn't be reading spoilers.

I've read the entire series and I didn't remember anything being referred to like that, hence why I asked what it was.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So Egwene returns from her trip through the Arches and finds Elayne crying into Nynaeve's shoulders screaming, "I can't be that bad, Egwene, can I?!"

Not for at least another 6 or 7 books...

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I felt like a very non-critical reader today, as characters showed up again Egeanin and Floran Gelb (not really a huge spoiler) that I literally had no idea who they were and had to check online. :(
Is this just gonna happen more and more as it goes on? I think I've only made it up to about book 7 or 8 ever, and that was when they came out, and I'm towards the end of book 4 now.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Quad posted:

I felt like a very non-critical reader today, as characters showed up again Egeanin and Floran Gelb (not really a huge spoiler) that I literally had no idea who they were and had to check online. :(
Is this just gonna happen more and more as it goes on? I think I've only made it up to about book 7 or 8 ever, and that was when they came out, and I'm towards the end of book 4 now.

It absolutely gets worse and worse, culminating in the controversial book 10. Thankfully books 11,12, and 13 get the plot back on track and focused towards the end-game. This has always been one of my chief criticisms of the series, the cast is just too drat huge. I honestly felt that Jordan was expecting to keep writing this series on and on for another 10-15 books or so before he was terminally diagnosed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Quad posted:

Minor characters coming back ramps up as the series goes on. Some are going to become important, others stay in the background and some will get POVs. Basically if they have a name, and it isn't the introduction, they're probably going to be a recurring character.

Note that this is several hundred people over the course of the series.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Zore posted:

It's actually closer to a couple thousand. Jordan added something like 200 characters per book, and almost everyone makes a return at some point, even if it's just to show their death.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

Minor characters coming back ramps up as the series goes on. Some are going to become important, others stay in the background and some will get POVs. Basically if they have a name, and it isn't the introduction, they're probably going to be a recurring character.

I could be wrong about this, but I suspect Jordan wrote out names, histories, descriptions, etc., for almost *every* character, even the ones we never see on screen -- i.e., it wouldn't surprise me at all if somewhere in his notes there's a listed first and last name and description for *every* Aes Sedai and so forth.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I could be wrong about this, but I suspect Jordan wrote out names, histories, descriptions, etc., for almost *every* character, even the ones we never see on screen -- i.e., it wouldn't surprise me at all if somewhere in his notes there's a listed first and last name and description for *every* Aes Sedai and so forth.

To an extent, JK Rowling did this for Harry Potter, as well.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Personally, I liked that this happened. Even your throw away characters went off and went on with their lives, often changed by what happened when they were around. This is even referred to in book 2, when they first get to the white tower, and Gawyn talks about some people who have all met Rand and had their lives changed. Though it isn't by name, you can recall the characters, and it really makes it feel like the world is alive, even outside of the exciting center piece that you're reading about.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I liked all the people coming back and being important because it plays into the whole idea of Taveren. incidental people that the 3 main dudes meet become tangled in the pattern they weave around themselves, they start to attract followers to them who are big loving deals in and of themselves and even some random farmer met on a road, or some girl in a house Rand and Mat stay in for one night have their lives turned upside down just by the presence of these people.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The whole concept of Ta'veren is a really, really elegant piece of meta-fiction. All that ridiculous contrived stuff that happens in most fiction can and does happen in WoT.

But where it's often overtly hamfisted in other works, it's simply part of who and what the characters are in the Wheel of Time.

Ta'veren gets lampshaded constantly, and it works. The concept is internally consistent with itself and allows Jordan to pull his characters, at will, into and out of situations that make more sense as plot devices than as anything resembling realistic.

I wish I'd thought of it. I really do. It's genius.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When I read it, my first thought was "You all meet in a Ta'veren...."

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Bongo Bill posted:

When I read it, my first thought was "You all meet in a Ta'veren...."

Are there girls there?

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
I'm a little ahead and have just finished TDR. The ending felt a little rushed to me but damnit Mat is just the best.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Ormy posted:

I'm a little ahead and have just finished TDR. The ending felt a little rushed to me but damnit Mat is just the best.

Yeah, it was a little rushed at the end, but it wasn't too bad. I think RJ was thinking that he was going to have Ba'alzamon appear at the end of every book, but during revisions he realized that the idea was stupid and killed him off. Of course, he brought him back with Moridin, but Moridin fits into the story and isn't confronted in every book.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 4, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ConfusedUs posted:

The whole concept of Ta'veren is a really, really elegant piece of meta-fiction. All that ridiculous contrived stuff that happens in most fiction can and does happen in WoT.

But where it's often overtly hamfisted in other works, it's simply part of who and what the characters are in the Wheel of Time.

Ta'veren gets lampshaded constantly, and it works. The concept is internally consistent with itself and allows Jordan to pull his characters, at will, into and out of situations that make more sense as plot devices than as anything resembling realistic.

I wish I'd thought of it. I really do. It's genius.

Ta'veren,n.: in the Old Tongue, "Protagonist."

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh Verin, you rascally Aes Sedai you. :allears:

Seriously, gently caress you guys for spoiling this for me. :(

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Yeah, keeping stuff spoiler tagged is vital here. I'm sure there are quite a few people here reading the series for the first time, going by all the posts in the thread.

I think it is actually possible to work out verin is Black Ajah by info in Book 2 alone. When verin meets up with those hunting the horn, I think she very explicately says "Moiraine sent me". And then later Moirane very certainly says "I didn't send Verin". There has to be a lie on one end there, or a forsaken disguising him/herself as verin I guess, but occams razor. Of course, the spoiler about Verin is more than just that revelation

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

There was something about Verin right from the start, I think, but I can't remember what tipped me off.

The other one that I've always been wondering about is Lan, about Thom early in book 1, after the village is attacked. He says something like 'I do not like that man, there is something about him I do not trust.'
And I always found it extraordinarily strange that he went and took on a Myrddraal by himself and was not actually killed immediately - the book paints it as though he dies - a blinding flash of light and his screams - but given that at this point Myrddraal were built up as unbelievably dangerous opponents and he survives it with nothing but a gimpy leg always had me suspicious.
I would say his actions since have cleared him of suspicion, but, well... I guess we'll see. Call me paranoid.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
In TGH Thom says that the Fade pretty much just ignored him while Rand and Mat ran away. Which honestly doesn't make a lot of sense, since I doubt a Fade would pass up the opportunity to murder someone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah. Also the whole gimpy leg thing never really sat right with me since they fight with swords known to kill just from the slightest scratch. What, did it knee him in the hip or something?

He's also up to a lot of sneaky poo poo - I can't remember what book it is but I think he's talking to Mat and writing a very dodge letter and he hopes that Mat doesn't ask to look inside his chest or something. He's up to something, I just don't know what - I'd say there's no way he's a Darkfriend but after the Verin revelation, who knows anymore?

On another note, Verin says that the oath she took for the Black stated she was not able to divulge her allegiance until the hour of her death, but when the Aes Sedai inside the tower find someone they suspect of a Black don't they torture her into admitting she is Black? It's been a while since I read that book but I'm sure they ask her 'are you of the Black' and she replies 'I am.' Am I imagining this?

Vaniljcola
Jul 11, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Yeah. Also the whole gimpy leg thing never really sat right with me since they fight with swords known to kill just from the slightest scratch. What, did it knee him in the hip or something?

He's also up to a lot of sneaky poo poo - I can't remember what book it is but I think he's talking to Mat and writing a very dodge letter and he hopes that Mat doesn't ask to look inside his chest or something. He's up to something, I just don't know what - I'd say there's no way he's a Darkfriend but after the Verin revelation, who knows anymore?

On another note, Verin says that the oath she took for the Black stated she was not able to divulge her allegiance until the hour of her death, but when the Aes Sedai inside the tower find someone they suspect of a Black don't they torture her into admitting she is Black? It's been a while since I read that book but I'm sure they ask her 'are you of the Black' and she replies 'I am.' Am I imagining this?

Winters Heart:The black ajha hunters have her unswear "all oaths that bind her" before retaking the three oaths. (to avoid conflicting oaths). So i guess the black oaths are removable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Vaniljcola posted:

Winters Heart:The black ajha hunters have her unswear "all oaths that bind her" before retaking the three oaths. (to avoid conflicting oaths). So i guess the black oaths are removable.

Ah, forgot about that part. Well, that explains that.

• Locked thread