Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
I like that they've got the convenient strawman of getting to pretend that all of the fan outrage is because of Dante's character redesign, and not because Ninja Theory's games both control terribly and have pathetically terrible combat.

I'm sure this'll be the best game Ninja Theory has ever made, but it's also going to be the second worst Devil May Cry game ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I'm in the minority but the appeal of DMC for me was the combat system, Dante's design was secondary.

Hell I felt his DMC3 design was atrocious but the game's combat and multiple styles more than made for something so minor as his look.

And Bayonetta is the bar most of those games will be compared to now, thus far nothing I've seen of this re-design looks even remotely close to the speed and control that game offered.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Alteisen posted:

And Bayonetta is the bar most of those games will be compared to now, thus far nothing I've seen of this re-design looks even remotely close to the speed and control that game offered.

To be fair to them, only WIP videos have been released at this time, so it could change. I doubt it though, and have the same opinion as you.

DMC1 started the genre, Bayonetta perfected it. DmC will probably be a step backwards more than forwards, despite how agressively it's "story" and visuals are being marketed.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I actually really liked the character designs in DMC3 (except the devil trigger, that was awful.) The face especially was a really stylized without being outright cartoony.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

To be fair to them, only WIP videos have been released at this time, so it could change. I doubt it though, and have the same opinion as you.

DMC1 started the genre, Bayonetta perfected it. DmC will probably be a step backwards more than forwards, despite how agressively it's "story" and visuals are being marketed.

The simple fact that the game is made on the unreal 3 engine is all the info you need, that game just cannot handle the kind of speed DMC gameplay is known for.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

notZaar posted:

I actually really liked the character designs in DMC3 (except the devil trigger, that was awful.) The face especially was a really stylized without being outright cartoony.

The devil trigger costumes were designed by the Zone of the Enders artist, if I remember that correctly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

The devil trigger costumes were designed by the Zone of the Enders artist, if I remember that correctly.

No, they were designed by Kazuma Kaneko, best known for Shin Megami Tensai. He also did one design for a Zone of the Enders 2 robot, but mostly SMT. That's the reason Dante showed up in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, it was a company crossover thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DMC3 devil triggers always struck me as a bit weird. Like, Vergil's head in the devil trigger was just silly and Dante's always seemed off. DMC4 thankfully gave Dante a significantly cooler looking Devil Trigger.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

And the same guy who designs the monsters and characters from the Shin Megami Tensei stuff. It was due to Dante appearing in SMT: Nocturne (Lucifer's Call).

[e]Beaten.

I didn't mind them so much. Bit on the goofy side, but I like some of the Sparda DT you can see in them.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 26, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Dante's DT keeps changing, seems to be as much effected by his outfit as his demonic heritage. I do like how his DT in DMC4 has insect-like elements, just like Sparda.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Someone's put up a translation of a Russian preview of DMC, which has some newish information.

quote:

The aim of the next release of Devil May Cry, as decided at Capcom's Japanese subsidiary, is to increase the number of fans of the famous [third person] action game.

"We wanted this game to become the motto of "rebirth", explains Motohide Esiro, who [has] assumed the duties of producer, "based on the existing universe [of] Devil May Cry. And with this task, we decided the best way to do this is to have a team that thinks differently from Japanese designers, but at the same time, understand what makes it an interesting series. "

"Interesting" is not synonomous with "fun to play".

quote:

In thinking about this, the [US division] of Capcom, suggested to involve Nina Theory in the project - the publisher had several encounters with Taamem Antoniades and other key figures in the British studio.
Many other candidates were discussed, but ultimately Capcom thought it would be really interesting to join forces with the Ninjas.

That is a great mental image.

quote:

Ninja Theory's strength is creating great narrative, and Capcom in fighting; and with the supervision of the director of DMC3 and DMC4 Hideki Itsuno, the result of this union can take the series to have a more of a fresh air.

Can't argue with that.

quote:

Capcom Japan wanted to see the hero Dante differ from his predecessors.

"We asked for Ninja Theory to make such a design, which would correspond to Western notions of freshness," said Esiro.

So Capcom is to blame for his drastic redesign. I would like to point out that I'm sorry I gave Ninja theory flak for it, as if they were the sole reason for it.

I can, however, give them flak for this:

quote:

As a result, DMC Dante- one of the most popular characters of Marvel vs Capcom 3, lived through several cosmetic changes - changed the shape of the nose, with bruises under the eyes, black hair and without muscles.

"Yes, we changed the color of the hair and not only, but all this is due to the plot - tirelessly repeats Antoniades - Let us explain why it appears that way."

Yes, we desperatly need to know why his hair is a different colour, why he used to be as scrawny as gently caress and has bruises under his eyes.

I can give you several reasons for those:
Hairdye, anorexia and being punched in the face. Is that really worth making a story about? :v:

It then goes into the whole FPS discussion.

quote:

As recently announced by the developers, the events in DmC has nothing to do with what happened in the original series.

Another concern is the graphics engine. Tameem Antoniades has already mentioned that a stable 60 frames per second should not count, and for dynamic games in the spirit of Devil May Cry is extremely important. However, the director is sure that the developers will still save the smoother animation and blows, and responsiveness of management to provide, - DmC will not feel slow like, say, DMC4. And I hope that Ninja Theory will actually keep the promise.

DMC4 slow?

quote:

Although for the sake of entertainment at Ninja Theory now and then, mounts the rollers with the gameplay as Dante makes a spectacular finishing in mid-combo, most likely, in a word when he will only show the last fatal blow to the enemy.

Ninja Theory, in my opinion, copes with the design and external appearance of the monsters of the city. Every time, I admire the puppets - they look all like high-tech. It's funny that there is also a puppet with saws. My first association - Resident Evil. If one considers, as did DMC1, perhaps it is a conscious reference to the history of the series.

Fish swim, birds fly, Ninja Theory makes good visuals.

I've skipped the next section, which covers the first trailer and the DT, which we already know about.

This moves into the Angelic and Demonic abilites

quote:

Angelic and demonic abilities will be useful not only to Dante in combat, but also in platforming sections.

Ninja Theory has now explained that DmC exists in two universes; the first- the normal world which is familiar to people, the other- the demonic world where demons manipulate our world 'behind the scenes'.

For example, in our world, as shown in one of the DmC trailers, there is a poster which promotes burgers. But in the Demonic dimension, it's in fact call to sin, indulging gluttony. But in Dante's eyes, the demonic forces or even buildings stand in his way.

I like the idea of the Burger/Gluttony thing, but I'm still not impressed by the whole Human world and Purgatory thing, for one simple reason, which I'll explain through the medium of dance.

quote:

[Dante] seems like a school boy, caught by an uncontrollable force, and here you see him trying to get away from the monsters and demons. Tameem Antoniades hastens to dispel doubts about the willingness to get involved in the fight of our hero;

"Our Dante, is an angry rebel, he has a prosperity for violence, and thus gives him an image of a certain coarseness. In a scene which you mentioned earlier, he seems to be tolerant when it comes to being defeated by demons, but not when he is controlled. And he's also angry not because he has to fight, but because he found out that they have discovered him: he can no longer not follow specific rules, but rather those who pulled him into the dimension. And because Dante now has to fight for that."

"I smoulder with generic rage."

Now we head into more new and interesting game mechanic stuff.

quote:

The plot of Ninja Theory are going to be closely linked with the gameplay. The biography of Dante in DmC differs from the original: he is now [an angel-demon half-breed].

The Demon and Angel regimes succeeded the styles from DMC3 and DMC4. The idea of ​​regime is to a more compact way to organize the existing character and ability to provide greater change in weapons and change styles as two different options, but at the same time increase the accessibles at any moment of the battle arsenal.

Though Dante enters the arena with only a sword and pistols (this condition is also referred to as the normal mode) as soon as he turns to the angel's power, the sword transforms into a scythe (hello guitar Nevan from DMC3!), surrounded by a halo of pale blue light. And in the demonic mode in the hands of the character - a burning red axe.

"The angelic mode, we give priority to speed: it refers to a lot of skills that involve hail strikes" - explains Eshiro. By the same demonic practices are the essence of which - to strike the enemy, perhaps one-two punch, but to make them, so that will not find any traces of it. "You'll have no interruptions to switch between the four types of weapons, in addition to the standard sword and pistol"

The producer promises.

Angel= speed and ice.
Demon= strength and fire.

quote:

If we assume that of these four will be on two forms, the prospects are fascinating. Useful for testing platforms (as well as to manipulate objects), skills are also distributed between modes. They already mentioned the "dash" skills which allows the character to fly up to the subjects, refer to the angelic forces. And the ability with which Dante drags to his enemies - to the demonic. In fact, just similar to the hand of Nero in DMC4, but now the player has the freedom to choose.

Angel= ariel.
Demon= ground.

Is it symbolic enough for you yet?

It ends on an interview, with Alex Jones (Capcom US) and Antoniades (NT).

quote:

"We have heard that DmC - a project in which Ninja Theory develops in the field of storytelling unite with experience on the part of Capcom to create action. And how Capcom is involved in devising the combat system and gameplay in general?

Alex Jones: In terms of battles, DMC - it is virtually a joint work of Capcom Japan, and Ninja Theory, that for the game, commissioned by a independent studio, is quite unusual. Controlling the process of developing the combat system is Hideaki Itsuno, chief ideologue of three of the four previous Devil May Cry. He also had a hand in several well-known fighting games from Capcom. Itsuno-san is very closely associated with the team, which designs combat in Ninja Theory, to make sure everything meets the expectations of the players. He also participated in discussions about the conceptual aspects - what do the enemies do as they spread on the game - and in the editing of frames in the animation of certain hits. The contribution of Capcom in the creation of rules that pass the battle in this game is great.

"I also noticed that you're trying to include a reference to DmC previous games (such as Dante is a trick similar to the classic Helm Breaker). Is there any issue of DMC, which inspired you more than others, and how do you like it?"

Tameem Antoniades: We were inspired by all the previous Devil May Crys , however, in my view, we were most strongly influenced by our team communicating with Capcom, who has created these games. The fact that we are working together with people like Hideaki Itsuno, they opened up access to a wealth of knowledge about Devil May Cry and the know-how in the field of creation of such action, especially in regards to the combat system. Partnership with Capcom allowed us insight into how they approach the design of the battles, get into all the details, and it's just wonderful.

"How hostile is the demonic world - Purgatory (Limbo), as you call it - in relation to Dante? DMC1 had sealed doors that could injure the character, if he was nearby. And the city now, judging by the fragments demonstrated with the gameplay, as if the hero is trying to help develop their abilities. By the way, how modern everything will be? Will Dante gain skills in telephone booths, or dodging cars?"

AD: When we started, we set ourselves the goal of including not to play back specific items that are most likely to appear on the show as a way to beat the limitation of irony. [I have no idea what the gently caress that means, blame the translators]

Adding a demon door just to make them be there - we do not fit into that, such things could only stay there on the condition that there will be some important gameplay reason for their existence. And when we were studying ways to turn the door with the demonic seal an important, exciting element of the game, Ninja Theory have proposed the concept of the living world that is changing dramatically, trying to stop or kill Dante. This is a very suitable story and atmosphere we have invented the game's universe, so it was doubly remarkable.

They're providing a story reason for the barriers? Okay. That's...that's not exactly new, and while the idea that they're trying to impliment and provide reasons for game mechanics is to be commened, I think they're focusing a tad too much on the story aspect of things.

It continues:

quote:

Purgatory, is more modern (than the city in the previous DMC ), but we have not yet decided how to visually "fictionalize" getting skills, etc. I can only say that, as with any other important element of the DMC , we want to find a balance between the conventions of previous issues, and modernity.

TA: In the original DMC doors blocking your path, forcing you to fight. Here we are doing the same thing, but the city is trying to crush, to intimidate and generally do everything possible to kill the hero. The whole city is alive, angry, and wants to destroy Dante! Purgatory - a reflection of this demonic world in which we live. It is not so one-to-one copies the reality, as you expect. Here dwell the demons, they do not drive cars and do not get a phone call. If you want something to compare with the local places, imagine hell in "Constantine", or gloom in the "Night Watch".

Don't worry Antoniades, I can provide an even more apt comparison.

quote:

"Why did it take you to enter the regime of the Demonic mode and Angelic mode? Why not just provide a set of Dante's weapons that he can change on the fly and skills useful in the platform trials (such as in DMC4)?"

AD: We've had a few reasons, actually. First of all, in our view, it provides both depth and simplicity, because you can switch between these states not only to succeed in combat, but also because of all abilities have a non-combat use.
Everything is systematic so that the player to use the entire range of abilities Dante more easier, no matter what the situation arises to. We would not have achieved the desired speed shuffling abilities, if taken advantage of the system of regime change, which is presented in DMC3 and DMC4. In addition, we wanted to combine combat skills to help you navigate the world, or to manipulate it. The fact that we have a regime of an angel / demon story also reinforces the central theme and essence of the conflict, through which Dante is in the game. And when the in-game gameplay features are also story related, this could make the passage more memorable.

Oh my god, will you shut up about the loving story already. He's a half breed and hates demons and is caught in the middle blah blah blah. We get it.

Anyway, so yeah, it appears that these Angel/Demon modes have replaced the styles of the previous games, which to me sounds like a slight step backwards, considering how much fun it was in DMC4, and how well it worked. There really haven't been enough gameplay videos or a demo out to make a call on that though.

quote:

"Why did you decide to use the music, instead of the usual text message to inform players about the style ranking which they receive, while fighting with the enemy? Previously, those who played badly, he could not enjoy a lengthy combination, and now it turns out, from the soundtrack now of how little that he hears?"

AD: In the near future, we will tell more about this system, but for now I'll just say this: we have decided to highlight how music conveys how well the player fights, but this does not mean that we do not use other ways to inform users about their performance in combat. But since the typical music has always been a part of Devil May Cry, we felt that it would be very correct to link it more thoroughly with some gameplay features.

I have my reservations on this, but time will tell.

quote:

"It is logical that the action is "fast, but weak" and "slow, but more devastating" attacks, but when Dante, the character traditionally associated with rapid methods, brandishing a much slower, whether it is contrary to the expectations of fans?"

AD: I would say that although Dante is clearly associated with rapid methods - and we, believe me, these will be enough - in my opinion, it is primarily associated with the stylish techniques, does not necessarily mean that the lightning, and to a certain degree of challenge (to a game designer), I think. And although, of course, your remark is true to a certain extent, we want to see the difference between different kinds of weapons was a serious gameplay motivated than just a "combination of speed / damage." Ultimately, however, if a particular skill, whether it be slow or fast, makes the game more interesting, we will motivate gamers to use this skill so that it's fun and interesting, and they look cool when they use it, I do not think that ( for fans), there will be any cause for concern.

"How virtuous are angels in DmC? The promotional poster with all of these winged maidens, lusting for Dante, makes me thoughtful."

AD: Some angels are quite free of morals, and even though we are still in the future for more detail about the world and telling the story, I can tell you that the angels in DmC, which traditional notions of good and evil, right and wrong do not apply ... so, you know, there is a chance (which they will not be a particularly pious)!

It's been done.

quote:

"Why are you staying on the engine, Unreal, and did not use MT Framework, or have your own?"
AD: From a practical point of view, Ninja Theory's extensive experience with the Unreal - they've done it a game. Unreal -is an excellent platform on which to make great games, and it allows the team to focus on creating content rather than to getting used to new technology. In addition, the Ninja Theory have their own very important technical changes to the animation system of Unreal, to fit the engine under the highest standards of DMC with respect to game animation and animation in the commercials.

quote:

"You are not going too turn to the "Divine Comedy", as did the authors of the first DMC? I thought that in that case it would be very logical, if Dante's journey through hell, accompanied by Virgil. But in the TGS trailer with a conductor Dante - a girl, so it turns out, Virgil would have changed gender?"

AD: Actually, I think we will try to contact other monuments of medieval literature for inspiration - to be "Don Quixote" or the "Canterbury Tales." In today's video games, they positively deficit obscenity and vulgarity!

Bunch of queyntes.

Sources:
http://www.gameland.ru/ps3/dmc/previews/51826/ (Hope you can speak Russian)
http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/dmc-preview-of-site-the-gameland-with-new-screenshots-and-interview.10265/ (Translation)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 8, 2012

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Ninja Theory has now explained that DmC exists in two universes; the first- the normal world which is familiar to people, the other- the demonic world where demons manipulate our world 'behind the scenes'.

For example, in our world, as shown in one of the DmC trailers, there is a poster which promotes burgers. But in the Demonic dimension, it's in fact call to sin, indulging gluttony. But in Dante's eyes, the demonic forces or even buildings stand in his way.

Demons manipulating things behind the scenes through subliminal posters, you say? Close enough.

Dante will travel between worlds by wearing sunglasses with a deep and meaningful backstory- ya know, so they have a reason to be there and don't feel shoehorned in for the purpose of game mechanics!

THEY... uh, CHANGE-DEVIL-MAY-CRY-UNFAVORABLY

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If I can just cherry pick one of your responses here, DMC4 actually does feel really sluggish after playing Bayonetta. The only way I can enjoy it anymore is on the PC with turbo mode turned on.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

If I can just cherry pick one of your responses here, DMC4 actually does feel really sluggish after playing Bayonetta. The only way I can enjoy it anymore is on the PC with turbo mode turned on.

Yeah, I suppose it does in comparison to Bayonetta, but in regards to other DMCs it didn't feel that slow to me, in regards to how the combat went. There wasn't any point I thought "this is taking too long", like I did with DMC2's fights (this is of course a subjective thing). And yeah, turbo mode is the only way I can get my fix too.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yes, we desperatly need to know why his hair is a different colour, why he used to be as scrawny as gently caress and has bruises under his eyes.

I can give you several reasons for those:
Hairdye, anorexia and being punched in the face. Is that really worth making a story about?

I don't know about you but I'd play a wacky side-DMC game that involved the trials of Young angsty teen Dante on his way to the store to buy some hair dye but with the city continually getting in his way like that one trailer that was released where words popped up in the walls and ground.

No real plot, just "Oh shoot, I'm out of dye." followed by Dante walking out of his door to have crazy poo poo start happening with no explanation.

DrLarry
Aug 8, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

I don't know about you but I'd play a wacky side-DMC game that involved the trials of Young angsty teen Dante on his way to the store to buy some hair dye but with the city continually getting in his way like that one trailer that was released where words popped up in the walls and ground.

No real plot, just "Oh shoot, I'm out of dye." followed by Dante walking out of his door to have crazy poo poo start happening with no explanation.

Someone send this to capcom, right now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wrist Watch posted:

D.M.D - Dante Must Dye.

I'd play the poo poo out of it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
An entire DMC game whose entire existence is for the sake of a terrible pun?

Perfect.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
DMC 3 director speaks about the upcoming DmC.

quote:

DmC Devil May Cry has caused a stir since it was revealed by Ninja Theory and Capcom. However, Devil May Cry 3 director Hideaki Itsuno has said fans shouldn't worry.

DmC Devil May Cry has courted controversy among fans for many reasons - such as the appearance of new Dante, and as the project is being helmed by UK-based studio Ninja Theory.

However, Capcom's Hideaki Itsuno - director of Devil May Cry 3 and the forthcoming Dragon's Dogma - has revealed that all is well with the project and that fans are in for something very special indeed.

Speaking with NowGamer at a Dragon's Dogma hands-on event, Itsuno explained, "I can't go into too much detail [Laughs] but I was in Cambridge earlier this week to attend a meeting regarding the game."

"I just want to say, don't worry about the game at all, it's going to be awesome. We're sure that a lot of people are going to be pretty blown away by it."

Coming from the man who directed Devil May Cry 3, this will surely be firm reassurance for many of the doubters out there.

source:http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1247971/dmc_devil_may_cry_dont_worry_says_dmc_3_director.html

So yeah. No real information other than the same, "we promise you this is going to blow you away", speech Capcom and NT have been saying since forever.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. :colbert:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 17, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why not just show us the drat gameplay? I'm utterly confused by this. If it's really so mind-blowing just show us ten minutes of a really good fight sequence instead of promising.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Why not just show us the drat gameplay? I'm utterly confused by this. If it's really so mind-blowing just show us ten minutes of a really good fight sequence instead of promising.

Its too good. If they showed you even 10 minutes of raw footage people would riot in the streets and demand the game before its finished. That or it looks like crap right now but their target is gonna be awesome, we swear.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Some new pictures showing Dante's weapons and some wifebeater action. Ebony and Ivory's new design looks like something out of a 90's Marvel comic.
http://www.vandal.net/noticia/65779/dante-y-sus-armas-se-muestran-en-las-nuevas-imagenes-de-dmc-/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure why they bothered to redesign Ebony and Ivory but it's not a huge issue. They look only slightly more goofy and it isn't like DMC isn't full of goofy weapons. I still hate the Dante design though.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Not-Dante's dumb coatless look with the wifebeater is quite frankly disgusting and anti-hype compared to the glorious coatless DMC3 Dante that made you feel hype as gently caress when playing. Also the game is still going to be bad.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

They're definitely nailing the artwork. I love it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

They're definitely nailing the artwork. I love it.

The art direction itself is really good for this game, it's just not the look of a DMC to me. :shobon:

I actually really like the gun design, it's simple and effective. The sword though just looks like generic fantasy sword #385978.

And Dante's wife beater look is awful still. It's still better than the initial trailer design, but the rest of it is still as boring as gently caress.

It looks like the Stinger Move will be making a reappearance at least.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 1, 2012

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, if they nail down one thing in the game it's gonna be the art direction I guess. I'm not all that optimistic about the game but I've gotta say, the designs look fantastic. Not so hot on the Ebony/Ivory retooling... They're supposed to be modified M1911's, not some kinda goofy H.R. Giger-esque bio-mechanical space gun! Maybe they're working up an explanation for the infinite bullets or something...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Not so hot on the Ebony/Ivory retooling... They're supposed to be modified M1911's, not some kinda goofy H.R. Giger-esque bio-mechanical space gun! Maybe they're working up an explanation for the infinite bullets or something...

IIRC, the explanation in the regular DMC games, is that Dante uses his demonic power to make the bullets. The same is true for Bayonetta, except it's her magic that does it instead.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

IIRC, the explanation in the regular DMC games, is that Dante uses his demonic power to make the bullets. The same is true for Bayonetta, except it's her magic that does it instead.

Indeed, I only mentioned it because they seem pretty interested in tying gameplay elements that really need no explanation ("That's not just some random demonic barrier stopping you from progressing until you kill everything! The city is trying to stop you!") to the story in some way.

\/\/\/EDIT\/\/\/

Stop it Splinter, you're scaring me! :cry:

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 2, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Indeed, I only mentioned it because they seem pretty interested in tying gameplay elements that really need no explanation ("That's not just some random demonic barrier stopping you from progressing until you kill everything! The city is trying to stop you!") to the story in some way.

Ah well, in that case...umm....Dante's guns are actually the Devil Arm forms of his angel-mother and demon-father, and they fire magical bullets made out of love and protection for their son, because they died tragically outside a movie theatre one night to the demon mafia because they wanted to rebel against a society that wouldn't let them love despite their differences, thus setting Dante on his quest to free the humans and :v:

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Spermando posted:

Some new pictures showing Dante's weapons and some wifebeater action. Ebony and Ivory's new design looks like something out of a 90's Marvel comic.
http://www.vandal.net/noticia/65779/dante-y-sus-armas-se-muestran-en-las-nuevas-imagenes-de-dmc-/
There is no hype. Everything capcom is behind these days has been pretty awful. SF4. SFxT. Asura's Wrath. DmC. Resident evil games.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/01/dmc-devil-may-crys-dante-grew-up-in-orphanages-run-by-demons/

quote:

Remember the very first DmC Devil May Cry trailer that showed Dante at some sort of rehabilitation facility? Capcom and Ninja Theory haven’t talked much about that aspect of his background, but this morning, we got a few more background details on Dante’s past.

We already know that Dante is half angel and half demon, and has been described as a “street brawler,” due to having grown up on the streets and fending for himself. Now, we also know that he spent the majority of his youth in various institutions, orphanages, youth correction facilities and foster homes. The catch is, most of these were run by demons and usually involved torture of some sort.

As a result, Dante has grown up with no respect for society and authority, and a hatred of demons in particular, despite being half-demon himself. Capcom say that Dante takes the side of the underdog in what he sees as an unfair society.

Holy poo poo my sides hurt.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

Holy poo poo my sides hurt.

Wait, so the new plot of Devil May Cry is Dante is a reformer for mental health institutions and children's care facilities? Oh man I can't wait to be writing letters to my representative and then Devil Trigger so I can get lobbying help.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You don't need to invent a reason for a young man to be flippant at society and athority, come now peoples!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

And this is the backstory Ninja Theory wanted to tell? :mmmhmm:

Nice to see they're hitting all the cliches here. All that's missing is Dante being molested by a creepy Uncle. Holy loving christ, this is really where they're going with this.

Time to bring up one of the quotes from an old interview!

Old interview with Capcom and NT posted:

...a videogame story, which hopefully for once, treats us like sophisticated adults.

:smug:

[e]: I'm surprised this wasn't brought up:

quote:

In the game, Dante’s Rebellion sword is given to him by his father Sparda so he can better protect himself against the demons which hunt him. It’s still unknown how he came to be in possession of his pistols Ebony and Ivory – or where they came from – but each, like his sword, were crafted a long time ago and have “sent innumerable demons to their doom.”

So demon dad is still called Sparda. But does he still have a monocle of asskicking? :colbert:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 2, 2012

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ha ha ha are you loving kidding me? Yo Devs, good show having a loving 14 year-old write the script. How many people looked at this and went "Yeah, Demon Mental Health Care. This is so what we're goin' with. That's what those crazy kids want these days, right? Wait, we said we're supposed to be treating them like adults? poo poo. Well whatever, people are pretty stupid nowadays anyhow. Proceed!" Never fails to astound me how the least expensive part of making a game gets so neglected...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
According to the DSOGaming, DmC may end up getting a PC release:

quote:

We know that Capcom has been supporting the PC platform this entire time. And in case you were unaware of, Devil May Cry 3 & 4 were really successful on the PC. Therefore, we were quite shocked when the latest DmC game was initially announced for only X360 and PS3. However, things might be a little different as the official FB page of the game indicates that the game will be coming to our beloved platform.

As of right now, the page’s info has not been edited and you can easily notice the PC platform, right next to the X360 and PS3. Capcom’s Sven responded to this and said that PS3/360 were the only confirmed platforms at this point. However, we’ve seen countless examples of Capcom ‘hiding’ the PC platform from their games. If you can recall a while ago, SFxT was initially announced for the PC but then Capcom stated that it was simply a typo back then. Fast forward a couple of months and here we are, waiting patiently for the PC version of this amazing mashup. So yeah, the new DmC might be coming to the PC after the release of the console versions.

Here is a screengrab from Devil May Cry’s FB page:

Source: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/official-fb-page-indicates-that-the-latest-devil-may-cry-game-might-come-to-the-pc/

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That would be great, despite everything I do still want to play this game and I would prefer it to be on PC.
I don't understand this playing coy bullshit, why not just yes or no on the PC rather than that BS evasive answer.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I have two predictions on what this game will achieve on release.

1. It'll be the best Ninja Theory game.

2. It will be better than Devil May Cry 2

Anything else that it actually accomplishes will be a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The great thing about getting a PC release is being able to play it at 60 fps.
Having a higher frame rate will give you faster visual feedback as well as more responsive controls, because there is less time between you pressing a button and that action happening on screen.

By the way, have any of you tried DMC4 on iOS? I'm impressed by how Capcom have tried getting some very ambitious games on the platform, including Resident Evil 4 and Street Fighter IV, even though they would benefit from actual buttons.

• Locked thread