Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

Oh, hey, I've been to that one. The day I went, they had a half-dozen machine out of order, but I played a bunch of old games that weren't at my childhoood arcade. Anyone who has only played Space Invaders in emulation has to track down a cabinet, but it is god-drat beautiful in person.

I just found on that my friends are there right now! That's what I get for staying home to veg out instead of hanging out for burrito Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

NihilCredo posted:

There's also the old spell sequence:

Flesh to Stone -> Stone to Mud -> Mud to Stone -> Stone to Flesh

I can't help but envision that as looking like the person went through a transporter malfunction in Star Trek...

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Effingham posted:

I can't help but envision that as looking like the person went through a transporter malfunction in Star Trek...

"What we got back... didn't live long... fortunately."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Soonmot posted:

The second one. The first one isn't bad, but the second one is great. There's an arcade about half an hour from me with a $20 play all day policy and I spent most of my time on that D&D game.

Man, Shadows over Mystara is probably the only arcade game where $20 for all day is not really worth it. When it was really popular at my arcade I remember everyone being able to finish it (in a team of two) with a single credit. You had to wait one a half hour to play it if you were next in line. The arcade operator didn't like it that much.

Anyways, I still can 1-credit it with both the fighter and the mage (the mage is the easiest of course) but I have never been able to do it with the stupid thief. The best player at my arcade used to beat the crap out of everything with the Dwarf, those dragons went down in seconds to that perfectly spaced rising attack that I could never master.

Dman, I need to play that game again.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

New strip! poo poo just got reaaaal.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0843.html

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Elan might have complained about the raven's fairly clunky and un-subtle explanation of the twist, I suspect.

That said, I got a chuckle at the joke in the title. Foresight is a high-level Divination spell that grants you "instantaneous warnings of impending danger or harm to the subject of the spell", such as a dungeon trap.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

...if Tarquin's wife had born him a child, Elan would be dead right now. Holy poo poo.
Edit: Or probably just a level lower. Raise Dead, DnD, gaming comic. I need sleep.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I see some potential for a Loss edit here.

But seriously though, V shows some real despair in those panels. It's even more gut-wrenching to see when the elf normally doesn't show other emotions than contempt.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
No xs on V's eyes yet. What are the odds V refuses to come back if dead to avoid being a tool of the infernal?

DrakePegasus posted:

...if Tarquin's wife had born him a child, Elan would be dead right now. Holy poo poo.
Edit: Or probably just a level lower. Raise Dead, DnD, gaming comic. I need sleep.
I don't think so, because Tarquin's wife wasn't related to a dragon. Tarquin wouldn't have been related to a dragon or shared blood with a relative of a dragon.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 5, 2012

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
^^^^^^ :argh: scooped!

DrakePegasus posted:

Are we sure of that? Where's the borderline?

Draketooth child : descended from black dragon (†);
Penelope : directly related to black dragon heir (†);
Penelope's hypothetical child : directly related to person directly related to... (†?);
Tarquin : (directly related to person)^3
Elan : (directly related to person)^4

I'm not sure the spell goes this far, or there would have been a massive uproar on the continent if being four degrees from dragon descent killed you, seeing how much the Draketeeth slept around? Penelope's *new baby* might possibly die as half-brother of a dragon heir, but Tarquin shares no blood with any Draketooth.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Toussaint Louverture posted:

No xs on V's eyes yet. What are the odds V refuses to come back if dead to avoid being a tool of the infernal?

The trapdoor clearly opens in the penultimate panel. V's getting trapped in a labyrinth of some sort, not killed.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Is Belkar's line about holding it in a reference to what I think it is?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Wow, so Familicide's effect was truly "follow each and every possible genealogic tree connection until you hit dead people" (notice the 'down to the last cousin' part).

It's been just a few weeks since then, but I wonder if at some point the Western Continent will start seeing a folk tale spread about "The Day when a Lot of Random People Died in Mysterious Circumstances".

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:( Vaarsuvius is broken.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah, that's right, V. How do you like the taste of ultimate arcane power now?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
V now should be arguing with the DM that he got gypped on xp for those kills.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

greatn posted:

V now should be arguing with the DM that he got gypped on xp for those kills.

Haerta earned the XP, obviously.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

V has no right to complain about XP.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I hope V survives all this so he can become an archetypically wise old wizard frustrated by his complete inability to stop future generations of mages from being as loving retarded as he used to be.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Oblivious posted:

I hope V survives all this so he can become an archetypically wise old wizard frustrated by his complete inability to stop future generations of mages from being as loving retarded as he used to be.

I think V is capable of regret, but not humility.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

prefect posted:

I think V is capable of regret, but not humility.
He's working on it!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I hope that Suvie is able to regain the love and trust of Kyrie and their kids. :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

At risk of reigniting the alignment debates again, Vaarsuvius implies their fate will be hell now, for the evil act they've committed, but the D&D afterlife doesn't work so much on sin or guilt so much as active alignment. Unintended consequences and blinding hubris don't really represent evil, just error.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's kind of hard to say that killing a whole poo poo load of people related to a dragon was an 'unintended consequence' of casting a spell that specifically killed the poo poo out of anyone related to the target. It wasn't as if V just picked up a scroll and cast the spell without understanding it. He knew what the spell was and what it would do. gently caress, he raised the dragon back from the dead specifically to taunt it with what he was going to do and how thoroughly he was going to kill all it's family. Even at the time it was a shocking thing to do.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You gotta say this though, whatever afterlife it ended up in, I bet that dragon learned its lesson.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Ashcans posted:

It's kind of hard to say that killing a whole poo poo load of people related to a dragon was an 'unintended consequence' of casting a spell that specifically killed the poo poo out of anyone related to the target. It wasn't as if V just picked up a scroll and cast the spell without understanding it. He knew what the spell was and what it would do. gently caress, he raised the dragon back from the dead specifically to taunt it with what he was going to do and how thoroughly he was going to kill all it's family. Even at the time it was a shocking thing to do.
I think the difference is that he expected only black dragons to get killed, and black dragons are "always CE" (which actually means what, 95%) and therefore kosher to kill.

Of course, even if that defence were fully accepted I doubt it would help him that much. If Roy almost ended up in the True Neutral afterlife for that one single time he declined to rescue Elan, I can't see such reckless disregard for potential innocent victims earning V anything better than a nice officer rank in the Blood War.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In the comic, we've also directly seen one of the actual heavenly host state what a dramatic turn towards evil V has made.

Plus it just wouldn't make for a very good reaction here if V could just say "well that was a bit of an oopsie, but by the alignment rules I should be in the clear, right where were we with this gate business."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Basically V's player should be getting some sweet roleplaying XP right about now.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Calaveron posted:

Basically V's player should be getting some sweet roleplaying XP right about now.

If I were the DM, I wouldn't allow any roleplaying XP on the grounds that the painful memories he's experiencing are too high level.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Calaveron posted:

But is probably going out of town next weekend. Either that or he's getting a sweet solo adventure.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Or he's gonna be trapped in a pit trap.

Or dead.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well he's just down one(or two) flight of stairs, shouldn't be to hard to find.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

greatn posted:

Well he's just down one(or two) flight of stairs, shouldn't be to hard to find.

So you're saying the party needs to go down a level?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Der Shovel posted:

So you're saying the party needs to go down a level?

Why would they go down a level, they just went up a level.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hm. I'm pretty sure the spell as it's now described would have scoured the planet clean of, at the very least, all human life.

I mean, say Tarquin's one wife had given him a child. Not only would the child have died, but Tarquin himself would have died - along with all his children, and all the wives he had children with. And then any and all of his siblings, and their children. And their spouses. And the siblings of their spouses...so on and so forth, and this calculation apparently applies to every one of the multitude of people we know were affected by the spell. It doesn't appear that it would stop anywhere, save perhaps for some totally isolated community which never interbred with outsiders.

If it couldn't go up a family tree - or, perhaps, if it could only go up once, to the 'top' of the black dragon tree, and then down forever after - then the damage would be limited in scope. But if it can freely track down to children and back up to spouses, then we're looking at a total cleansing.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 6, 2012

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Affi posted:

Why would they go down a level, they just went up a level.

That's the best skit.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Strudel Man posted:

Hm. I'm pretty sure the spell as it's now described would have scoured the planet clean of, at the very least, all human life.

What, no, that's dumb.

There are three tiers of effect.

First tier is the dragon--the root of the spell. She lives.

Second tier is anyone who is a blood relative of the dragon and alive--ancestors, descendants, siblings, cousins. They all die. This is the, "Every living creature that directly shares your bloodline is dead."

Third tier is anyone who is a blood relative of any member of the second tier--again, ancestors, descendents, siblings, cousins. They all die. This is the, "Every living creature that is directly related to one of THOSE creatues is also dead."

Tarquin's wife died because she was a mother to someone in the second tier (a random Draketooth). If she had another child, it would have been a brother or sister to a Draketooth, and would also die. But even then Tarquin would not be killed, because he wouldn't be a blood father to a Draketooth, just mommy's new friend.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 6, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Alternatively, it didn't scour the planet of life because even Epic magic has some limits.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

But even then Tarquin would not be killed, because he wouldn't be a blood father to a Draketooth, just mommy's new friend.

See, that was my understanding too, but it's contradicted by V in this comic. Wait, never mind, I just reread it. All better now. Yeah, that's right again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Mystic Mongol posted:

What, no, that's dumb.

There are three tiers of effect.

First tier is the dragon--the root of the spell. He lives.

Second tier is anyone who is a blood relative of the dragon and alive--ancestors, descendants, siblings, cousins. They all die.

(We know the dead are not affected by Familicide, because if they were, one of the dragon's blood relations would have been an ancestor to the entire race, and then all black dragons would die at once.)

Third tier is anyone who is a blood relative of any member of the second tier--again, ancestors, descendents, siblings, cousins. They all die. Tarquin's wife died because she was a mother to someone in the second tier (a random Draketooth). If she had another child, it would have been a brother or sister to a Draketooth, and would also die. But even then Tarquin would not be killed, because he wouldn't be a blood father to a Draketooth, just mommy's new friend.
A cousin is anyone with whom you share a common ancestor. That isn't limiting - that's what kills off all human beings.

Presumably you think it's restricted to first cousins, which is not demonstrated in the text. But the images also do not support this - particularly, look at the third panel in the second, uh, grouping. It appears to be an entire family there being killed, including an older woman and an older man. Unless all but one of those are siblings to a draketooth (and the one who isn't is the parent), it doesn't stop where you're suggesting.

The text even explicitly says that it kills the siblings and cousins of anyone who bore a child with a Draketooth - such people are not ancestors, descendents, siblings, or first cousins to anyone in what you call the second tier. They are 'cousins' to people in the second tier only in the broader sense that they share at least one common ancestor, and again, this is the 'wipe out all life' condition.

edit: Hell, by your analysis here, the draketooth family wouldn't even be in the second tier. Unless the black dragon on which V cast the spell was actually the one to found the draketooth line...(it wasn't, was it?)

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 6, 2012