Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Since getting back into Lego I've not really built anything other than official models so I've been playing around in LDD to try and get to grips with MOCing.

I've knocked up a little shunter based loosely on a BR Class 11.

I don't think it's too bad for a first attempt but I was wondering if anyone had any pointers to improve the front top corners. I was hoping there be a 2x2 quarter circle piece to allow for a better join but if there is I couldn't find one in LDD.

Digital War fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Gloom
Sep 27, 2009
I can't help but feel like I'm being triple goatse'd by your train.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Final Gloom posted:

Strange that your mind went there, I just see a rad train. I love its compact efficiency.

On the topic of trains, I consider it a failure on lego marketing's part that they supposedly can't make their train sets profitable. I need another passenger car for my emerald night dammit!

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Scored 2 big boxes of random bricks at a garage sale for 40 bucks. Quite a few of the early star wars sets and I *THINK* I have most of 7037 Tower Raid.

Also stopped by target and snagged 3 more legionnaires and another highlander!

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

To follow up on the Bionical talk of a few days ago, how do the current Hero Factory and DC Heroes stuff? Is it exactly the same parts outside of the unique character pieces? Could I make something comparable to all that cool stuff with them?

Thought the prices represented pretty good value compared to most of the Lego range.

I've not purchased any Hero Factory, but I was very disappointed in the Batman figure. The pieces are all fairly ugly compared to the old Bionicle pieces, and seemed far less versatile. Also I am annoyed that they just reused torso pieces for his arms; it makes him way too bulky and just kind of... awkward.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Digital War posted:

Since getting back into Lego I've not really built anything other than official models so I've been playing around in LDD to try and get to grips with MOCing.

I've knocked up a little shunter based loosely on a BR Class 11.

I don't think it's too bad for a first attempt but I was wondering if anyone had any pointers to improve the front top corners. I was hoping there be a 2x2 quarter circle piece to allow for a better join but if there is I couldn't find one in LDD.

Hooray people making trains! Instantly recognizable as an old BR shunter, so good on that. There really needs to be a corner curve in that profile. There's no really easy answer for this one, but looking at pictures of the prototype, I might actually just do away with the curved front altogether. The top curve is fine, but a flat front might give you more room for the stripe detail and the front grille. This picture makes it look quite flat, but I don't know how typical that is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have heard the material used in the later Bionicle sets and Hero Factory stuff is of a lower quality than the original three or four series of Bionicle was. So I guess keep that in mind when purchasing them.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
When it comes to the action figurey technic stuff, nothing beats the first few waves of bionicle. I feel like the parts were way more versatile back then, nowadays it seems like you can't really use the parts for anything btu the original intended purpose. Of course, someone is going to disprove me with some amazing MOC, but for your average person, it's way lower quality.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Final Gloom posted:

I think there might be something wrong with us because that's the first thing I saw too.

Blue Moonlight posted:

However, its purchase does present one problem. I have no idea where I'm going to put the thing. Guess I need to go get another shelf and move the London Bridge away from the other modulars.
Tower Bridge! :argh:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Final Gloom posted:

Took me a second to find what you were talking about.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I put together three of the Mini Modulars last night. Pretty neat set with some cool techniques, though I'm not sure it's really worth what they're asking. (I don't have room for full-size modulars, sadly.)

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Made some changes to my little shunter. Now with less goatse.

Made the front flat as per suggestions. And made some changes to the sides so now the hatches can be opened for that extra bit of playability.

I wish I could motorise this little thing, but there's no way I could fit a battery box into it. Thinking of making some kind of box van to shunt it around.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Just reserved the X-wing kit at argos for 20% off - is it worth getting?

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Digital War posted:

Made some changes to my little shunter. Now with less goatse.

:ssh: goatse is in the wheels

VVV It's still a cool train though!

snortpocket fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 5, 2012

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
I figured it was the old front. Glad to find out I'm not one of those who sees it everywhere.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

snortpocket posted:

:ssh: goatse is in the wheels

VVV It's still a cool train though!

Alternatively it's three :Ds with shutter shades.

I also normally hate the collectible minifig stuff, but drat: http://www.flickr.com/photos/si-mocs/6804987326/lightbox/

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack" from the creator of "Mechaton" is looking for Kickstarter backers.

It's worth checking out just to see their mech builds.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/JoshuaACNewman/mobile-frame-zero-rapid-attack?ref=card

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Making trains is addictive. And I think I'm beginning to get the hang of some of the snot techniques.
Made a little pannier tank engine this time. GWR used to run these and since I grew up in the area these were a popular small train at the local steam railways.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Those Academy kits. To me it seems like that rock can slide open, and then you can enter the secret cave filled with ... whatever is in pack 10.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

"Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack" from the creator of "Mechaton" is looking for Kickstarter backers.

It's worth checking out just to see their mech builds.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/JoshuaACNewman/mobile-frame-zero-rapid-attack?ref=card

Is there a way to tell when the kickstarter was first put up? How long has that one been going?

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Tanith posted:

Alternatively it's three :Ds with shutter shades.

This is like a Lego version of that picture where children see dolphins and adults are supposed to see two people loving or whatever

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Joramun posted:

What are those weird pieces on the bottom with the mountain outline?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Digital War posted:

Making trains is addictive. And I think I'm beginning to get the hang of some of the snot techniques.
Made a little pannier tank engine this time. GWR used to run these and since I grew up in the area these were a popular small train at the local steam railways.

Keep making trains!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Digital War posted:

It's Duck! :3:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a way to tell when the kickstarter was first put up? How long has that one been going?

First backer was 6 hours ago and there's been steady activity since.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

smackfu posted:

Looks like an updated version of this:

But hybridized with this:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

smackfu posted:

You've never seen those before? I have a bunch of them in gray and brown, from some Prince of Persia and PotC sets.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

smackfu posted:

I think it's this piece, only in grey.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47847

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Digital War, where are you finding Train parts in LDD? I've been trawling the brick lists in it for train wheels, without success.

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011
miss click, double post. sorry!

Lord Ryan fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 5, 2012

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011

And you right.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47847&ccName=4513326

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Huh, that Dwarves' Mine set (7036) could easily pass as part of the LOTR theme. I had to look twice to see if it wasn't actually an official LOTR set that I had missed somehow.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Loxbourne posted:

Digital War, where are you finding Train parts in LDD? I've been trawling the brick lists in it for train wheels, without success.

If you haven't already, go to View and then New Themes and enable Extended mode.

The large wheels are in the question mark section, and the small wheels are in the steering wheel section.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Thanks to Digital War telling me where to find wheels, here's an armoured railway van I've been working on:

Another image here, and a cutaway shot here showing the Energy X canisters and large safe.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Just bought one of the Friends line for my daughter. I don't particularly care if it's supposedly sexist, she'll love it. Also, at $10 for the small sets, it's a good price for a small treat.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Captain Invictus posted:

Less than a day.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

My Justice League obsessed 4 year old loves the Outlaw minifigure from Series 6 because it's a passable replica for Vigilante. She also claimed one of the Lion Knights as Sir Justin/Shining Knight (sans Pegasus, unfortunately). The poor little thing won't be happy until she has a Flash, to say the very least for Martian Manhunter, Hawk Girl, and Green Lantern. Until then, she's put together a pretty respectable Justice League Unlimited set.

e: drat, come to think of it, I could probably make her a fairly decent The Question minifig...

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 6, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Doc Hawkins posted:

Less than a day.

5.5k in less than a day. Kickstarter owns.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Made a couple more Dino-Riders:

The Rulon version of the raptor one. Slightly more inspired by the original toy from the '80s. The brain box is... less than perfect, but I'm still working with my extremely limited brick supply. It's surprisingly secure as long as the raptor stays horizontal. ...I also think it looks slightly less silly in person.

The butt view. ...I really need to bricklink some Ninjago / Atlantis villain figs for more accurate Rulons.

View without the minifig.

I gave up trying to fit a minifig rider onto the coelophysis without it looking silly and just turned it into some kind of recon dino-drone.

A little console for it to transmit the data it collects to. Laser gun added to make the shot more actiony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DangerDummy! posted:

drat, come to think of it, I could probably make her a fairly decent The Question minifig...

Wouldn't that just be the gangster body or panicking business man body with a minifig head spun around and some hair covering up the face on the back?