Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Shy posted:

30 at the same time?

People seem surprised about tab quantities in Opera but I personally have at least several dozen tabs open. When tab grouping came along I took advantage of that. Right now I have 18 individual tabs in addition to three tab groups with like three tabs each.

Even before tab grouping, a dozen tabs was probably my minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I've only had one crash since I installed it yesterday morning, so 12 seems pretty worth it so far. My tab count is sitting more around 20.

I did disable hardware acceleration, which allowed me to put smooth scrolling back on. Has anyone at all seen an actual benefit from hardware acceleration, or is it just worthless in its current implementation? I mean I get that it's bad on integrated graphics etc. but this is a GTX260, so I ought to see something? The only difference I notice is that scrolling is laggy with it on, and fine with it off.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Shy posted:

30 at the same time?

I'm normally around 80-90 and rock-solid.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I know Opera is good at handling large quantities, but it also has a trash bin for closed tabs, wouldn't that be easier?
I get scared every time I open more than 10.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Rather than using trash and having it disappear upon a quit/crash I imagine you'd want to go more with something like this:
https://addons.opera.com/en/addons/extensions/details/to-read-sites/4.1/?display=en
or
https://addons.opera.com/en/addons/extensions/details/tab-vault/2.4.1/?display=en
as that is what they are for.

Unrelatedly, maybe someone else will appreciate this: I found a skin where someone keeps updating and fixing windows Native skin, since they've officially discontinued it. It also fixes the tab bar looking like crap (dark blue) when vertical, which I hated in the just-before-discontinued versions. I'd been using an old version I ripped out of 10x sometime, but this is nicer.
http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=8908

And what's up with the "get more" button on the skins tab in the UI taking you to a page with only 9 "themes", rather than to the main skin collection site?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Shy posted:

I know Opera is good at handling large quantities, but it also has a trash bin for closed tabs, wouldn't that be easier?
I get scared every time I open more than 10.

I just use them in place of bookmarks, since Opera keeps perfect track and doesn't even lose tabs when it crashes.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Every time I'm typing in Gmail, the font is small, I have to use Gmail's compose window to change it to normal. Any ideas? This is 11.61

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's supposed to be fixed, but it's not:
http://my.opera.com/sitepatching/blog/2012/02/13/web-de-4chan-gmail

There are some workarounds here:
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1185972&t=1330898778&page=1#comment11058152

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks! :cool:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
On further reading those links, the reason for it is hilarious. The font was originally too big due to an Opera bug, so people complained to both Opera and Google. Google acted first and implemented something to decrease the size for Opera users, so it would be correct. Then Opera fixed the bug, and Google's fix ends up making it too small. Now Opera is implementing a site-specific fix to disable Google's fix.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Lakitu7 posted:

Rather than using trash and having it disappear upon a quit/crash I imagine you'd want to go more with something like this:
https://addons.opera.com/en/addons/extensions/details/to-read-sites/4.1/?display=en
or
https://addons.opera.com/en/addons/extensions/details/tab-vault/2.4.1/?display=en
as that is what they are for.

Unfortunately, I can't use Opera Extensions because I turned off global javascript (vastly prefer to whitelist sites than deal with blocking stuff). They still haven't fixed that or shown any indication that they're going to so I have to skip using Extensions.

Edit: Really, the idea of having few tabs open is no longer even an option for me. I found out super fast when I tried to offload tabs to bookmarks I stopped reading those tabs. There's zero reason to think banking them in some other manner will change that.

Edit2: Definitely trying that, thanks!
V V V

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 5, 2012

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I haven't used it, but maybe try the extension version of noscript to whitelist sites, instead?

https://addons.opera.com/en/addons/extensions/details/notscripts/1.1.0/

Then you would be free to use other extensions, among other advantages.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Does anyone have issues with video skipping a lot with Opera. I'm running 11.61 and when I watch videos every so often the video will stutter. The audio is fine, just the video. Anyone else have this issue?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I got my second "Pure Virtual Function Call" error today since hopping on the 12.0 build, but this time I listened to a trick I read about in the comments and just moved the dialog box out into the background and kept going. Everything is fine. You don't even have to let the crash actually, uh, crash. :unsmith:

This is good because in the comments they also say that Desktop Team is off on some team-building vacation this week, so we're not going to see it properly fixed until at least when they get back.

Startacus posted:

Does anyone have issues with video skipping a lot with Opera. I'm running 11.61 and when I watch videos every so often the video will stutter. The audio is fine, just the video. Anyone else have this issue?

I tend to see stutter right at the beginning, when the video is loading, and one of those pop-up banner ads is about to load. Once it's past those beginning jitters, it's always fine though.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

I got my second "Pure Virtual Function Call" error today since hopping on the 12.0 build, but this time I listened to a trick I read about in the comments and just moved the dialog box out into the background and kept going. Everything is fine. You don't even have to let the crash actually, uh, crash. :unsmith:

This is good because in the comments they also say that Desktop Team is off on some team-building vacation this week, so we're not going to see it properly fixed until at least when they get back.

Sadly most of my crashes actually happen when opening email/rss filters and don't come with that window, but are just Opera straight-up closing.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Lakitu7 posted:

I tend to see stutter right at the beginning, when the video is loading, and one of those pop-up banner ads is about to load. Once it's past those beginning jitters, it's always fine though.

I'll get random stuttering throughout the video. I'm currently testing the latest 12 build on my laptop and it seems to be gone, we'll have to see. 12 seems pretty good right now. I've had a couple of random crashes for no apparent reason but other than that it's been treating me well.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Opera Mobile 12 android release seems pretty nice. Faster than previous releases and hasn't been crashy like the last build I was running...

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/03/26/html5-css-64bit

Well, we see now why it's been so long since the last 12 build: they've upgraded 64-bit and out-of-process plugins from labs to weeklies. Unfortunately it seems like all the crashes from last build are still around, with a number of new crashes and freezes, so I think I will be skipping this one, but it will be real nice when they get it all running smoothly.

They also seem pretty happy about some HTML5 and CSS3 stuff, but as not-a-web-developer I have no idea what any of it means.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 26, 2012

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I just wish they'd improve the performance with hardware "acceleration" turned on. I'm probably going to have to disable it when v12 goes final, if it stays like this.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
11.62 is about to go final. Maybe when that's done they'll reassign those folks to fixing all the things wrong with 12. I hope...

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
So i've noticed that both with hardware acceleration on or off whenever i open a php script that outputs nothing but barebone text (although >5 MB of it) over the course of a few minutes Opera 12 maxes the cpu core it's using and will stay there, forever unresponsive. Similar with some autogenerated reports that embed graphs, 100 graphs are okay but 1000 locks up the browser for good. Both of which usually mean i have to kill the process manually and then quickly close the tab when it starts back up again. Both Firefox and Chrome (which is my fallback for this now) have absolutely no issues with it.

Edit: Seems to mostly happen on versions of Opera that have been installed for a while and were updated several times. Gonna see if a pristine 11.61 fixes it.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 27, 2012

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Opera 12 is never going to be released. It was announced May 3rd 2011.

The stable version then was 11.1. After that, versions 11.5 and 11.6 have had "non-next" beta periods and been released.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

I just wish they'd improve the performance with hardware "acceleration" turned on. I'm probably going to have to disable it when v12 goes final, if it stays like this.

Wow, it's really weird but using the current snapshot it literally slows down as I scroll over your post. Like I double checked this and I can scroll up and down the page elsewhere freely but every time, the second your avatar is about to appear it starts chugging. It can do the rest of the page fine, though. Are... are you cursed?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
*ring* 7 Days...

:)

It's really strange how broken some things are in Opera 12 because I recall many times that they had releases which imported 11.x fixes. Or am I misremembering?

There are a few things in Opera 11 and/or 12 which are getting a little frustrating to me. Tab stacking seems like something they're never going to get back to thinking about streamlining or even smoothing out right now. It kind of sucks because it feels like with a few user options people could get some stuff done with them but right now they're mostly busy work for people like me who bloated their bookmarks to such a size they don't bookmark anymore. And I still feel like I'm sacrificing basic, sane browser behavior to take advantage of some of Opera's really nice features. Like it took to one of the most recent 11.6 versions before they had protection from overwriting files in the Save As dialog. Or how it can take literally minutes for Opera to shutdown and the cache folder will grow to gigs and gigs despite any setting you choose for cache size until you manually clean it.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Do any of you guys use the mail client with Gmail or your school mail? My school uses Gmail and I would like to try out Opera's mail client but I don't really want to deal with it, if it sucks. How does it handle labeling and archiving? When you delete an email, does it actually delete it, or archive it? (I want it to archive, I don't delete).

EDIT: Oh, and 11.62 is out: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/03/27/opera-11-62-released

Startacus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 28, 2012

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Wheany posted:

Opera 12 is never going to be released. It was announced May 3rd 2011.

The stable version then was 11.1. After that, versions 11.5 and 11.6 have had "non-next" beta periods and been released.

It's probably the biggest architectural change they've ever made in the browser. Even the newer presto in it is badass.

I know it's a long time coming but I trust Opera to get it right.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

feld posted:

It's probably the biggest architectural change they've ever made in the browser. Even the newer presto in it is badass.

I know it's a long time coming but I trust Opera to get it right.

There's some big concern about version numbers these days, which is why Chrome and Firefox are in a loving sprint to outpace each other by incrementing version numbers every single month despite little more than minor fixer-up changes.

My larger concern is that they're spending so much time getting only rarely-implemented stuff like WebGL in place that they're going to continue falling further and further behind in Javascript performance, which is where most browsers are visible different from each other right now.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Cuntpunch posted:

My larger concern is that they're spending so much time getting only rarely-implemented stuff like WebGL in place that they're going to continue falling further and further behind in Javascript performance, which is where most browsers are visible different from each other right now.

In your day-to-day browsing where have you been finding that lower javascript performance has been impacting the experience negatively?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

feld posted:

In your day-to-day browsing where have you been finding that lower javascript performance has been impacting the experience negatively?

I used to have serious problems with javascript performance in google docs on my netbook, to the point where I had to use Chrome instead, so javascript performance is a pretty huge deal these days and other browsers are making huge advances. This was only about a year ago, too.

It's also important since they presumably use the same engine on Androids (which are often around as fast as the typical Atom PC I think), where JS performance is absolutely critical to the user experience.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
So yeah, 1325 and 1351 are completely busted and unusable for me, 1351 just straight up freezes for minutes at the time while loading a single flash video. Downgrading to 11 isn't an option because the new mail format isn't compatible (and export/import screws up all kinds of things).

Good thing i still had that 1301 installer lying around. That'll teach me to curiously jump from snapshot to snapshot.

It probably won't.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
1328 is what I'm still using. It crashes if I try to print something, and it periodically brings up the "Pure Virtual Function Call" error that results in a crash if you click it, but does nothing if you just move it to the side and ignore. Other than those it's been fine for me, but I don't use mail.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Does the Kill Elements button here work for anyone: http://operawiki.info/PowerButtons
I'm using Opera 11.61 and It's not working for me. I cant drag it to a toolbar as the instructions say to do.
I realize that this was written for earlier versions of Opera, if this will no longer work, can someone recommend something with similar functionality? Thanks.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Does the Kill Elements button here work for anyone: http://operawiki.info/PowerButtons
I'm using Opera 11.61 and It's not working for me. I cant drag it to a toolbar as the instructions say to do.
I realize that this was written for earlier versions of Opera, if this will no longer work, can someone recommend something with similar functionality? Thanks.

With buttons I find it better to click the example button on Operawiki which should prompt you to add it. After that, right click the toolbar you want it on, choose Appearance->Buttons->My Buttons and then drag it to the toolbar.

I haven't tested it to see if it's compatible or still works, but that will let you consistently place it on a toolbar of your choosing.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Using the 12.0 build I listed a post back, I was able to drag it to a toolbar and use it just fine. :confused:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

1351x64 has been pretty stable for me, it uses twice the amount of RAM that 11.x uses (~300k instead of ~150k) in general, but that amount doesn't seem to go up significantly even if I open a bunch of tabs / leave it open for days at a time. The only crash I've had so far was pulling a tab out of a window to make a new one, YouTube vids have been fine for me, guess I'd better hold my fingers crossed it stays that way.

On the plus side the slowdown over Heresiarch's post has gone, too, hopefully that was just a strange coincidence.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Anyone here do opera extensions?

I'm trying to make a quick one that just injects css. Namely this, which works fine when I apply it as a style to http://www.nhl.com:

code:
div.score {
display: none !important;
}
I just want to hide the scores at the top.

Well, when I try to create an extension using the template from here it doesn't seem to work. :arghfist:

edit: you can find it here: http://feld.me/pub/opera/

feld fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 31, 2012

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

feld posted:

I just want to hide the scores at the top.

There are a couple of quick ways using user javascript. Do you really want to inject css?

Then:
code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name hide scores at http://www.nhl.com/
// @description Hide scores at http://www.nhl.com/
// @include http://www.nhl.com/*
// ==/UserScript==
window.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function () {
	var css = 'div.score{display:none !important;}';

jQuery(document.body).append('<style>' + css + '</style>');
});
If you don't want need to use injected css, just use
code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name hide scores at http://www.nhl.com/
// @description Hide scores at http://www.nhl.com/
// @include http://www.nhl.com/*
// ==/UserScript==
window.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function () {
	jQuery('div.score').hide();
});
Save either as, say 'nhlscores.js' into your user javascript directory

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I really wanted it to be an extension because I use opera on so many different PCs and it'd be nice if I could simply have my own extension on my own server that I could easily install on all of these machines and it would run whatever rules I want. If I decided I wanted something else I could deploy an update and all the other machines would pick it up.

It's a shame opera doesn't have something like "opera sync" for userjs.

edit: by the way neither of those userjs script seem to be working for me.... on 11.62

feld fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 31, 2012

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You could always try to point the UserJS folder to the server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I put my user javascript under a dropbox folder