Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pepsiman
Feb 25, 2003
Grabbed the PC disk version, put the disk in my dvd drive, chose my language, clicked install, and... the installer shuts itself down :bravo:

I already miss Steam :(

edit: well at least I can redeem the product code on Origin to get it to install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

So the mission where you Get the Prothean dude from the stasis cell is the DLC? I didn't even check. I just saw the planet had something on it I could do.

Yeah

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This game's combat is really bad. Dudes respawn in sight, behind you while you're taking cover, whatever. Dudes literally drop out of the sky on jetpacks because they can't figure out a way to make the combat work otherwise. The combat is cover-based, ME2 schlock with a little bit of DA2 "oh hey, dudes spawn out of nowhere outside of the range at which you can be effective but they can still shoot you. why, because gently caress you, that's why."

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
FPSes like 6 generations ago didn't have enemies that magically respawn in your field of view, but apparently we're regressing

How do you like the idea of dudes who can spawn other dudes who are tough to kill and highly capable of killing you just magically appearing whenever the game feels it's appropriate?? Well, buy ME3, and enjoy the Cerberus Engineer/combat turret train. Good design, and enjoyable!!

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 6, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, if anyone's thinking of attending the midnight launch in Melbourne at Swanston Street, keep an eye out for me. I'll be in the N7 hoodie with renegade scars all over my face. Shaving my head is still up for debate. It'd be great to see any of you guys there - it's been an epic journey!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Milky Moor posted:

So, if anyone's thinking of attending the midnight launch in Melbourne at Swanston Street, keep an eye out for me. I'll be in the N7 hoodie with renegade scars all over my face. Shaving my head is still up for debate. It'd be great to see any of you guys there - it's been an epic journey!

Download the club music from Mass Effect 2 and blare it through a boombox while dancing feebly in that Shepard way.

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

Your morals are my morals. Your wishes are my code.
Anyone having any luck buying the DLC if you didn't already have it? I'm just getting an error each time :(
Damnit EA, let me give you money!

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
must go to sleep so I can get up at 6 and play another 12 or 15 hours of Mass Effect 3...

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
I'm getting this for PC and didn't play the first two on the same computer as this one. Will I have to play both games over again on this PC or will there be a way for me to just set it in my .inis who lived and who died?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

hypocrite lecteur posted:

FPSes like 6 generations ago didn't have enemies that magically respawn in your field of view, but apparently we're regressing

How do you like the idea of dudes who can spawn other dudes who are tough to kill and highly capable of killing you just magically appearing whenever the game feels it's appropriate?? Well, buy ME3, and enjoy the Cerberus Engineer/combat turret train. Good design, and enjoyable!!

They knew people didn't like this design and they still :psyduck:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

CaptainCarrot posted:

must go to sleep so I can get up at 6 and play another 12 or 15 hours of Mass Effect 3...

Play straight through. Do you think Commander Shepard gets to sleep? No, (s)he's busy saving the galaxy!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Chasiubao posted:

They knew people didn't like this design and they still :psyduck:

It's a pretty hardcore exaggeration. The combat in this game is fine, as evidenced by the fact that some people are buying it for the multiplayer.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Why is there no post processing? Everything looks flat, especially coming right in from a ME2 session.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Cute. There's a Shodan easter egg/reference on mars.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
drat it how long do I have to wait to get Ash back from the Citadel?! I want her to be with me on Eden Prime.

Thane :(

Oh hello chick from the books, so that's what you look like.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dan Didio posted:

Download the club music from Mass Effect 2 and blare it through a boombox while dancing feebly in that Shepard way.

It's like you read my mind. But I'd probably have to go with the awesome tunes from Flux.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

1stGear posted:

It's a pretty hardcore exaggeration. The combat in this game is fine, as evidenced by the fact that some people are buying it for the multiplayer.

It isn't an exaggeration in the slightest. I've played this game for like 2 hours and there have already been multiple instances of "defend this open area where enemies will literally drop out of the sky to attack you". It's really lovely design.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

drat it how long do I have to wait to get Ash back from the Citadel?! I want her to be with me on Eden Prime.

Thane :(

Oh hello chick from the books, so that's what you look like.

Yup, she's fairly pretty. Also, Samantha Traynor looks uncannily like all of my femsheps.

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008
So I can get my ME2 saves to come up on the Import Character screen, but when I select career, nothing comes up on the right-hand side and the import character button does nothing. Anyone else having this problem?

e: Nevermind, fixed it by creating a Mass Effect 2 file structure with a Save folder in the Bioware folder. I just had my ME2 saves floating on a backup drive without the game installed.

Ixpodsix fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 6, 2012

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

It isn't an exaggeration in the slightest. I've played this game for like 2 hours and there have already been multiple instances of "defend this open area where enemies will literally drop out of the sky to attack you". It's really lovely design.

Nope. They're dropped off by shuttles, sometimes directly, and sometimes into a room above you that you can't access, and that's on open maps; on the closed maps, they simply get sent out from the areas you haven't yet reached, or, again, from shuttles. Enemies don't ever come from nowhere, not like Dragon Age 2.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

CaptainCarrot posted:

Nope. They're dropped off by shuttles, sometimes directly, and sometimes into a room above you that you can't access, and that's on open maps; on the closed maps, they simply get sent out from the areas you haven't yet reached, or, again, from shuttles. Enemies don't ever come from nowhere, not like Dragon Age 2.

I've seen an Atlas spawn in on the multiplayer demo maybe twice, but aside from that I'm with this guy.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wow, some really awful textures, especially on clothing.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainCarrot posted:

Enemies drop from skylights and from doors you can't go through. Your statement's basically wilfully wrong. Keep on being apologetic for some pretty awful design, not sure what it gets for you but go nuts

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I'm seriously stuck, like, really early on. On Mars, right after you get Liara, when you're trying to go up and the elevator is sabotaged, how the gently caress do you go up? I got up the little ramp thing and hop up the two platforms and then I can't leap or climb anything else. :(

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

KnoxZone posted:

When I try to launch the game I get a 'Mass Effect(TM) 3 has stopped working' error message with the following details:

For what it's worth I was crashing on load until I went into the config tool (under program files/origin games/mass effect 3/binaries) and adjusted it to windowed mode (and lowered the res) and it launched. Then I set it back to full screen and full res and it's working fine now.

Vastly Outnumbered
Dec 10, 2003

I was wondering if anyone who has picked up the CE could tell me whether the CE content is tied to the online pass, or is a separate code? I picked up a standard edition at GS during the midnight launch since I needed a second copy for multiplayer, but I have a CE coming from Amazon that should be here tomorrow or the following day. I would like to redeem the pass so I can play right away, provided it's actually separate from the CE extras.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm seriously stuck, like, really early on. On Mars, right after you get Liara, when you're trying to go up and the elevator is sabotaged, how the gently caress do you go up? I got up the little ramp thing and hop up the two platforms and then I can't leap or climb anything else. :(

There's a button you have to use that'll make a bridge for you.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Are you a loco enough dude to save the universe?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

1stGear posted:

There's a button you have to use that'll make a bridge for you.

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that on my ten laps around the room! I blame tiredness.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Enemies drop from skylights and from doors you can't go through. Your statement's basically wilfully wrong. Keep on being apologetic for some pretty awful design, not sure what it gets for you but go nuts

So what would the right solution be?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I do enjoy the combat setting that allows you to basically make things super easy, since ME's combat has traditionally been the weakest link in comparison to the soap opera story.

jcp982
Apr 5, 2011
I'm generally mixed on the game so far, definitely leaning on the positive. I'd say my biggest complaint is that there does seem to be a distinct lack of dialogue options. Second place goes to strange movement animations. Third place goes to pacing and structure.

But I will say they really did a great job on returning characters. The banter. The familiarity. I brought Garrus along to meet up with Jack. They REMEMBERED each other and had a fun little back and forth.

I also really dig the combat. Might just be the charge/nova/ smack. I think multiplayer may have spoiled me. I had to up the game to insanity just to enjoy it. Now that engineers are showing up, it's getting harder.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
if Morinth doesn't kill the female krogan, preferably in front of wrex, I'm going to be extremely disappointed with this game

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I am generally enjoying this game so far, and surprising liking the two new squadmates so far. Also not used to how talkative the party can be in missions in compare to ME2 where they may have one line or two. Bought ED-I to the From Ashes DLC, and she already has just as many lines as Liara who is required for the thing!

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
For those of you on PC: Is it available anywhere else but Origin right now? Is anyone getting it from anywhere else besides retail and Origin? What is the best way to get the game in your opinions. Been using Steam so many years I feel lost now.

jcp982
Apr 5, 2011

Chasiubao posted:

So what would the right solution be?

Yeah, I don't get it either. The enemies come from logical places. Sometimes you know they're coming on a tram. Other times they surprise you.

The game isn't a shining pillar of AI, but the real strength of the combat lies in the diversity of enemies and the various combinations of powers you have to use to navigate various situations. Or just be a Vangard and go to town.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Its weird talking to that girl in all the ign videos on my xbox all pixelated and uncanny valleyed.

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
Anyone figured out how to hack the game for poo poo like skill points and cash yet? I just got to the citadel and I want to buy that sniper rifle.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Really disappointed with my local launch events. Three stores weren't even open and the ones that were just had the game on the rack.

For MW3, we got a giant block party, devs giving away games, free shirts and hats, and there were stacks of CEs.

For this, there was nothing. No giveaways, no devs, no CEs for stores other than GS/BB, and there were very few copies of the game.

My town has over the top releases for every big game (TOR, GoW, MW3 had gigantic launches). I wonder what the hell happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Just picked this up at a midnight release after staying the gently caress away from any news involving this game. Unfortunately, I also missed the news that collector's editions would sell out so now my ME trilogy doesn't match :smith:

• Locked thread