Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macinirol
Sep 27, 2011
If I had ME2 DLC armour, will they show up in my inventory, or do I have to buy them at a store somewhere on the Citadel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zak
Jun 10, 2006
Rice Krispies
gently caress, for whatever reason my Shepard 8 hours into the game reset back to level 1, while all my squad mates are still level 31. Worst part is I don't have any previous saves to go back on. This has killed my motivation to play completely :(

Zak fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 6, 2012

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.
Just did the Grissom Academy mission and holy poo poo this is a must play if you romanced Jack. She gets some interesting character development and the mission is well done too. And as if you didn't need any more reasons to hate Cerberus, you see them doing some really, really, really awful stuff firsthand. I'm playing on my former Cerberus-loyalist yoomanity first Shepard and still intend to shoot TIM in the loving face should there be an opportunity. Like, he's crossed the threshold from power hungry rear end in a top hat with quasi-noble intentions to full on Space Hitler.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why is this game beating me over the head with constant and ham-fisted homosexual themes?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RONALD REAGAN posted:

If I had ME2 DLC armour, will they show up in my inventory, or do I have to buy them at a store somewhere on the Citadel?

They become available in shops. Expensive too. :sigh:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Why is this game beating me over the head with constant and ham-fisted homosexual themes?

They're about as constant and ham-fisted as the heterosexual themes, so a better question would be 'is this game trying to sell itself with sex'.

The answer is yes

e: Given that it's Bioware writing any themes present are inevitably going to be constant and ham-fisted

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So really I would like to know what happens to the Virmire Survivor after they end up in the Citadel hospital. I'm really hoping I don't have to wait most of the drat game for them to rejoin my team.

Brenwolf
Oct 24, 2005

I quite enjoy Tom Peepery.
An hour in and I'm not sure how I feel about this. It seems like I have a lot less dialogue choices and that Bioware is doing most of the talking for me...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Brenwolf posted:

An hour in and I'm not sure how I feel about this. It seems like I have a lot less dialogue choices and that Bioware is doing most of the talking for me...

For what it's worth the first three or so hours are the worst about that, and it improves a bit later once the game opens up. But I do think the number of dialogue choices is strangely reduced all in all - they're mostly concentrated in specific, fairly deep conversations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

hunted by a freak posted:

Still haven't figured it out. :smith:

Mouse wheel. I think arrows work too.

Also the UI is moronic and will display that arrow if the screen is merely full and there's not actually anything unshown. I had it flickering in the weapon upgrade screen and once I maxed out a gun it revealed... nothing. The blinking light went away and I had an extra space.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

General Battuta posted:

They're about as constant and ham-fisted as the heterosexual themes, so a better question would be 'is this game trying to sell itself with sex'.

The answer is yes

e: Given that it's Bioware writing any themes present are inevitably going to be constant and ham-fisted
The first thing you hear when you get to the Normandy is your Yeoman's homolust for EDI's voice, then Vega AKA Flex Crunchlust hits on me after some homoerotic slap-boxing, then the Yeoman practically demands me to go downstairs just to hear the mexican dude talk about his dead husband that I personally give all of zero shits about.

This all in the span of the 20 minutes after tutorial.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Beanpants posted:

To people whinging about multiplayer: just play it. Give it a try. I don't care for multiplayer in most cases either, but it's fun and a good challenge. I mostly ignore other players unless one goes down and needs a revive.
As long as you play with friends or Goons it's a drat fun time. Considering how it uses all of the gameplay from the single player anyone who is slamming it for one reason or another either hasn't played or is full of poo poo.

Amateur Saboteur posted:

The first thing you hear when you get to the Normandy is your Yeoman's homolust for EDI's voice, then Vega AKA Flex Crunchlust hits on me after some homoerotic slap-boxing, then the Yeoman practically demands me to go downstairs just to hear the mexican dude talk about his dead husband that I personally give all of zero shits about.

The one thing that's bothered me so far is how they're trying to sexualize a robot. I know it's Tricia Helfer but what the gently caress Bioware that is walking some creepy/funny line.

Grey Fox V2 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 6, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well to be fair there were a lot of times in ME1 where you had three dialogue options that all said the exact same thing. Literally. Word for word identical. This time at least they're not trying to hide it.

Generally your choices kind of set the tone for the lines that follow, from what I've seen. I like that just fine.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
So, about fifteen hours in, just returned to a besieged Citadel. There's a new gun, the Talon, in a room with a door I can't open, near the beginning. How do I get it?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:ohdear: Grunt :ohdear:

:cry: Grunt :cry:

:black101: Grunt :black101:

:911: Grunt :911:

:tviv: Grunt :tviv:

:dance: GRUNT! :dance:

best moment of the game so far imo

Macinirol
Sep 27, 2011
Yeah I initially really disliked the reduced dialogue choices, but after playing a while it's bothering me less and less.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Amateur Saboteur posted:

So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Amateur Saboteur posted:

You're upset that they're establishing characters? You're the one who asked about Cortez's family. You want him to not mention that one member of his family that might offend your sensibilities?

TheGreatDave
Apr 27, 2009

Buggy quests ahoy in this.

Citadel Quest Spoilers:
Also having problems with the Kasummi Hanar quest. Also having problems with Aria's Eclipse quest. I said I wanted to find a different way to release the lunatic from prison but the quest dind't update. Anyone got any idea how to fix these?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Vega AKA Flex Crunchlust hits on me after some homoerotic slap-boxing

I'm pretty sure you have to hit on him first for that to happen.

The Yeoman thing was really awkward and dumb though, so it's a good thing she's Kelly's replacement.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

TheGreatDave posted:

Buggy quests ahoy in this.

Citadel Quest Spoilers:
Also having problems with the Kasummi Hanar quest. Also having problems with Aria's Eclipse quest. I said I wanted to find a different way to release the lunatic from prison but the quest dind't update. Anyone got any idea how to fix these?
Can't help you with the first, but as for the second, go to the D-24 non-Normandy area, there's a salarian named Sayn next to Garrus. He's Jona Sederis' second in command.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
People seem to be talking about doing SP or MP first, am I the only one planning to take the story slow with occasional and meanwhile cutaways to show what Weryloc Prup and his multi-species bros are up to on Noveria or whatever? It seems like that would help the war feel bigger too.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lotish posted:

You're upset that they're establishing characters? You're the one who asked about Cortez's family. You want him to not mention that one member of his family that might offend your sensibilities?
I've never asked about Cortez's family :confused: I talked to him once and didn't even chose investigate options because he seemed uninteresting I don't see why then the game made it a bulletin to force me downstairs just to see that cutscene. Or maybe you think I'm some other poster?

TheGreatDave
Apr 27, 2009

CaptainCarrot posted:

Can't help you with the first, but as for the second, go to the D-24 non-Normandy area, there's a salarian named Sayn next to Garrus. He's Jona Sederis' second in command.

Thank you very much, will try this out :)

hunted by a freak
Sep 3, 2011

kater posted:

Mouse wheel. I think arrows work too.

Also the UI is moronic and will display that arrow if the screen is merely full and there's not actually anything unshown. I had it flickering in the weapon upgrade screen and once I maxed out a gun it revealed... nothing. The blinking light went away and I had an extra space.

That's probably what it is then, because the mouse wheel is what I tried first.

Whose bright idea was it to keep the arrow for that?

(Also thanks, I would be tearing my hair out for a while trying to figure this out.)

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
Can someone with the PS3 version check and see if it's on a dual layer disc for me? On the underside of the disc it will say either BPDL if it's dual layer, or BPSS if it's single. My PS3 stopped reading dual layer discs so if it's that I'll have to pick up the digital version.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Amateur Saboteur posted:

I've never asked about Cortez's family :confused: I talked to him once and didn't even chose investigate options because he seemed uninteresting I don't see why then the game made it a bulletin to force me downstairs just to see that cutscene. Or maybe you think I'm some other poster?

I never got a bulletin when I played last night. I went down to talk to him and he didn't say anything about a husband until I asked about family. He told me about his parents and then his husband dying at Ferris Fields. Then he told me not to talk about it.

It's an RPG. You talk to your crew. They tell you about themselves. Some of them are gay. It's the first 20 minutes of the game and they're establishing what you can expect for the next 20+ hours. It's okay.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kater posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to hit on him first for that to happen.

The Yeoman thing was really awkward and dumb though, so it's a good thing she's Kelly's replacement.
After you get done touching each other you have the option to say you like the pet name he gives you but even if you tell him to cut that poo poo out he says "your loss" with a lisp even. That still made me pretty uncomfortable and I'm not a homophobe IRL, I just don't like my Shepard having to go Renegade option and be a jerk just to keep from implying I want to blow a dude.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

CaptainCarrot posted:

So, about fifteen hours in, just returned to a besieged Citadel. There's a new gun, the Talon, in a room with a door I can't open, near the beginning. How do I get it?

I found it. Across the hall, there's a terminal for Door Control.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Ah, dammit. My pizza arrived just as I started the conversation with Khalisah al-Jilani, and I missed the interrupt. Autosave last went off like half an hour ago.

Still enjoying myself thus far.

e: Aaaaand the motherfucker delivering the mail didn't bother to buzz again, so my strat guide is on a truck.

epenthesis fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 6, 2012

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lotish posted:

I never got a bulletin when I played last night. I went down to talk to him and he didn't say anything about a husband until I asked about family. He told me about his parents and then his husband dying at Ferris Fields. Then he told me not to talk about it.

It's an RPG. You talk to your crew. They tell you about themselves. Some of them are gay. It's the first 20 minutes of the game and they're establishing what you can expect for the next 20+ hours. It's okay.
Well, I've talked to about every Squadmate ever in the 2 previous Mass Effect games and never had the game specifically tell me to go X place and talk to X person just for pure character building stuff that literally doesn't affect any quest or add anything to the game outside of lore. I don't care he's gay; I care the game shoved it down my throat.

Jarmel
Feb 18, 2012
This is so close to being the Game of the Forever. It ratchets up so much during Tuchanka. Holy poo poo.

Well done Bioware in regards to C&C. Puts ME1 and 2 to shame.

If only they had fixed some stuff this would be the best ME yet.

Jarmel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 6, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Amateur Saboteur posted:

After you get done touching each other you have the option to say you like the pet name he gives you but even if you tell him to cut that poo poo out he says "your loss" with a lisp even. That still made me pretty uncomfortable and I'm not a homophobe IRL, I just don't like my Shepard having to go Renegade option and be a jerk just to keep from implying I want to blow a dude.

Huh. I went the paragon option for that and his response wasn't at all "gay." I'm really wondering if you're reading into it, but I haven't heard the renegade line so I must withhold judgment.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Amateur Saboteur posted:

The entire game is full of stupid, awkward, hamhanded sex stuff, homoerotic and heterotic and otherwise. From the EDI sexbot and her banter with Joker to everyone's uniforms to the way a male or female character talks to Vega, it's impossible to go through the game without feeling like you're constantly hitting on people or being hit on or just enabling their weird relationships.

It feels like you're just noting the gay stuff in particular because it's more unusual.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Well, I've talked to about every Squadmate ever in the 2 previous Mass Effect games and never had the game specifically tell me to go X place and talk to X person just for pure character building stuff that literally doesn't affect any quest or add anything to the game outside of lore. I don't care he's gay; I care the game shoved it down my throat.

I have no idea what you're talking about because the game did not do that for me. That seems like a weird thing to be different. I have yet to be forced to talk to anyone besides the Council. Perhaps you're further ahead and this is something that comes up later?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Grey Fox V2 posted:

The one thing that's bothered me so far is how they're trying to sexualize a robot.

Edit: Err I don't know if it's even worth doing at this point, but hey spoilers I guess.

Tricia Helfer Not Being Sexualized was literally the best part of ME2. So many roles have her being some abject token of nerdlust, it was great to see her absolutely nail the VA and nothing other than that. There are no words for how horrible this decision was.

Also I'm fairly certain her silly bobblehead lightbit display in ME2 was more attractive than the loving abomination they cooked up. I love how my FemShep is basically proportioned like a giraffe and Chobot looks far more respectable than expected, but the loving AI is waltzing around as a ridiculous sexbot.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

General Battuta posted:

The entire game is full of stupid, awkward, hamhanded sex stuff, homoerotic and heterotic and otherwise. From the EDI sexbot and her banter with Joker to everyone's uniforms to the way a male or female character talks to Vega, it's impossible to go through the game without feeling like you're constantly hitting on people or being hit on or just enabling their weird relationships.

It feels like you're just noting the gay stuff in particular because it's more unusual.
I'm just not that far into the game and it seems like they're making too much of an effort to compensate for the lack of homosexuality in the other 2 games and it's stupid. Games should be more like Fallout:NV. You literally would not know that half the companions in the game are gay unless you talked to them for like 5 minutes and even then they won't hit on you I'm pretty sure.

Lotish posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about because the game did not do that for me. That seems like a weird thing to be different. I have yet to be forced to talk to anyone besides the Council. Perhaps you're further ahead and this is something that comes up later?
Traynor told me to go downstairs once I did the first N7 mission to the Cerberus Base on that random planet which is the first thing I did after the tutorial so I doubt that is the case.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well, I like that the sexbot was not the crew's idea: It was TIM's. He made a sexy infiltrator and EDI basically sees it and, in the immortal words of Shep, says "I can use this!" :shepface:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Aside from some dumb things "stuff Generl Battuta mentioned, the kid", I am rather enjoying this game a lot. I was prepared for the worst due to the spoiler stuff like robo ED-I and Dragon Age 2, but it's been great so far. Just wish I can find Kelly already so I can get her and those fish back on my ship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I played quite a few hours last night and I probably played about 90% of my time on multiplayer. I didn't think it would be as fun as it was.

Now on single player I started as a vanguard because that's what I played in ME2, but I just feel fragile as gently caress. I just feel like I'm always getting blown away.

Since I'm only an hour and a half in, I'm considering restarting as an infiltrator. How do they feel in singleplayer?

• Locked thread