Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Morter posted:

Yeah that's what I was referring to.

So, this is real then? Do players really see that in this game?

Wow...

Thank you for the quick answer.

Yeah it is real. So what? That's what stock photos are for. I'm not happy with the look at all, but I don't really fault Bioware for not going out into the garden and shoot some picture of some female employee and then photoshop it. Or make a 3D model for one photo. I don't know what exactly would "Bioware doing it right" be in this case? Making a 15 minute CGI movie exploring every pore of Tali's face?

Regarding the rest of the "document"
The "the endings are totally similiar to Deus Ex" is incredibly reaching. You plunge the galaxy in a dark age regardless the choice - unlike Deux Ex, where it only happens in one choice.
Second option, you don't merge yourself (you die), the rest of the galaxy merges.
And the third option is also very different, since you again die (or ascend, but you aren't Shepard anymore) and the Reapers are gone until the next cycle. You nor the Reapers rule anything in the galaxy.

Edit: There are some things to criticize (like what the gently caress happens with the hands of people in several cutscenes - they seem to lose the textures, or the import issues or several crashes. Or some story decisions. Or the cliched sop-stuff with the little boy) But that stuff seems incredibly flimsy to complain about.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Decius posted:

Yeah it is real. So what? That's what stock photos are for. I'm not happy with the look, but I don't really fault Bioware for not going out into the garden and shoot some picture of some female employee. Or make a 3D model for one photo.

It is perfectly reasonable to expect an alien race to not look like a pretty human girl. Especially given how ME1 gave us all kinds of alien looking aliens. Nothing about Tali's joints and finger situation implied that she was just a human missing some fingers.

Although come to think of it, the Asari are a fair counterpoint.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Nckdictator posted:

Where do you find Kelly? Is it a sidequest?

shes just chilling in the refugee camp

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Best Friends posted:

It is perfectly reasonable to expect an alien race to not look like a pretty human girl. Especially given how ME1 gave us all kinds of alien looking aliens. Nothing about Tali's joints and finger situation implied that she was just a human missing some fingers.

Although come to think of it, the Asari are a fair counterpoint.

And given Shepard's reaction to when he open the mask to give Tali a face full of alien wing wong. It was a kind of forgone conclusion MaleShep gets all of the nice girls.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
God drat the scorpion + cryo ammo is funny every time

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Haha, I love James already

James: Hey doc, you ever find dinosaur bones digging down there?

Liara: *big long explanation about the difference of her field and paleontology, realizes its a joke*

James: Hey... I just like dinosaurs, that's all :)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not getting this game due to a combination of not liking Origin, having a rapidly aging computer, and being poor. I tried to make myself not care but I played the first two and I have to know what happens, thus I'm combing threads like these for spoilers. Somewhere between nerd rage over the stupid decisions (many of the big choices not making a difference, Bioware having clearly written themselves into a corner with the reapers) and an embarrassing amount of glee and serious video game emotions over the awesome execution of the sequences they DID get right (I have no idea who said this first, but Jennifer Hale truly is the Meryl Streep of voice acting), I came to a realization.

I don't really care about the game play in Mass Effect.

But this isn't a gently caress EA/Bioware/ORIGIN/ :argh: thing. Looking back, this has been an issue with every game I've enjoyed in this genre, going all the way back to Planescape: Torment. The same problems of mediocre gameplay, all choices being fairly superficial except for the ending...all in titles I love.

So I'm never buying this game. I'm just gonna watch it played on youtube. I feel like a loser for doing it, but I think I'm honestly getting nearly the same amount of enjoyment for it.

What I realize now is that I don't actually want these games as games. I want them to fill the gaping hole that is the utter lack of good western animation. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but there it is.

Thank you, somethingawful forums posters, for listening to my thoughts.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh gently caress you BioWare.

From Ashes: Don't leave the planet before finishing the sidequest. You can't go back to Eden Prime so if you don't finish the Eden Prime Resistance before you leave it's just stuck in your quest log.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'm really loving this game so far but I wish there were other loving enemies to fight besides Cerberus. It's getting annoying having to fight the same assholes on every planet. I thought this was a Reaper invasion, not a Cerberus invasion.

As a side note, the Prothean particle beam loving owns.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm no Gyoru, but I'll be streaming for a few hours tonight.

http://twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Best Friends posted:

It is perfectly reasonable to expect an alien race to not look like a pretty human girl. .

I agree, as said, I don't like the look of Tali either, they should have made her far more alien looking, but the complaint is that they took a stock photo and just photoshopped it - and that's what I find a rather weak complaint. If they took a picture of some other woman (maybe bald and black for maximum Talimancer outrage) and edited it heavily the "stock photo photoshop" complaint would be the same, wouldn't it? If it was taken just for Bioware in their studios or if it was taken from a stock photo agency shouldn't be the issue.

akurlej
Feb 17, 2011
Just started playing the game, and I'm wondering if its important to do the main missions asap. As in, if I dick around doing sidequests, can I screw myself by not doing the priority missions quickly?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Loving Life Partner posted:

Haha, I love James already

James: Hey doc, you ever find dinosaur bones digging down there?

Liara: *big long explanation about the difference of her field and paleontology, realizes its a joke*

James: Hey... I just like dinosaurs, that's all :)

I just had that exact same scene.

Me too James, me too. :unsmith:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

VaultAggie posted:

I'm really loving this game so far but I wish there were other loving enemies to fight besides Cerberus. It's getting annoying having to fight the same assholes on every planet. I thought this was a Reaper invasion, not a Cerberus invasion.

As a side note, the Prothean particle beam loving owns.

You start running into Reaper enemies more often later in the game. Cerberus gets relegated to side missions and certain events.

And the Particle Beam does own. I have better rifles, but I've left it on James and Javik because :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

quote:

Just started playing the game, and I'm wondering if its important to do the main missions asap. As in, if I dick around doing sidequests, can I screw myself by not doing the priority missions quickly?

No, complete opposite in fact. Doing Priority missions will lock you out of sidequests and delivery missions. There's no need to rush through the plot, nothing is really timed like the post-Reaper IFF in ME2.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Decius posted:

As said, I don't like the look of Tali either, they should have made her far more alien looking, but the complaint is that they took a stock photo and just photoshopped it - and that's what I find a rather weak complaint. If they took a picture of some other woman (maybe bald and black for maximum Talimancer outrage) and edited it heavily the "stock photo photoshop" complaint would be the same, wouldn't it? If it was taken just for Bioware in their studios or if it was taken from a stock photo agency shouldn't be the issue, should it?

I think it comes to a point right now where that for some people, Bioware can't do anything right. I think the complaint is stupid myself, but I think the internet echo chamber is just unnecessarily loud right now.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
How do I get the scanning to work? It doesn't work when I've rebound aim to MMB and even when I use Set Default Keybindings it doesn't work with RMB. Is there some trick to it I've missed because there's just no response when scanning.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So much for Asari being above monogamous jealousy.

Is there a way to change a couple story flags in a current savegame?

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIP73xIAPLU

Cool game bioware :thumbsup:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

Nucular Carmul posted:

...insight on how Bonus Powers are doled out...
I believe it's all through conversation, when you reach various points in their personal narratives.

rizuhbull posted:

But you knew it was going to be a trilogy from the start.
It's true about the trilogy part, but that's also greatly oversimplifying things. Everything about the savegame format, game content versioning, character data, plot data structure and so forth has changed on each title, and it's not as simple as just directly reading in an old ME1/ME2 save and being able to import data. Barring a crystal ball, game code/content made back in 2005 won't always translate perfectly to a game in a vastly modified engine in 2012, or provide all of the information you would like to have. I assure you, I'd much prefer we could just simplify things that much - it would make my job a TON easier, as well as for most of the rest of the dev team :)

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Yeah, and it's still something they should have found a way around before releasing the game. You would think that Bioware would give extra attention to making sure the importer worked for people who have played the entire series as the same character. If I can go around and gently caress with websites to import my appearance, Bioware could have made the effort to make it automatic in their loving flagship title. Instead of what we see now, which is employees of the company making "oopsie" twitter and EA forum posts as if this were some nebulous error that never would have come out in a million years during adequate testing.

I had a go at using this and couldn't find my ME2 save anywhere in my Steam folder.

I guess I could wait and see if Bioware patches this anytime soon, although I mostly expect "we're working on it" posts for a month followed by "it just didn't work out but you're already enjoying the Mass Effect 3 experience so w/e no big deal."

Jesus Christ sorry for the nerd meltdown.

No worries - I can understand being upset, especially for people with a special "canon" Shepard they're attached to :)

Your save should be in a path like C:\Users\<your name>\My Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect 2\Save\<savegame career>\, not under Steam :)

Not that this fixes the error from occuring, but:

The issue you're running into is, as you said, something we ran into during development/testing, when trying to ensure that people going from ME1->ME3 would be able to do so, which is why there is a prompt for the error rather than it failing silently; given time, and the ability to prioritize zots towards this rather than, say, fixing some of the more frequent crashes or other issues, we might be able to add a formal patch for this, but as I said earlier, it would be a case of programmatically generating a code based off of the raw binary face data, not recovering any pre-existing code. It's probably doable, given time, but it's going to boil down to having the right programmers/QA/production/etc available, which was in tight supply during development, and what other work is being done.

That said, while I can understand you're frustrated, I (and others) also spent literally man months of time doing work specifically on nothing but adding code to support the feature and creating and importing saves over, and over, and over, and over... (in ME1, ME2 *and ME3), so the claim that face importing was lazed through is something I'm personally not going to generally take as a serious argument. That is not to say that save import has no bugs that I wish weren't there, this one included - I know of several, ranging from bad conversation conditionals, bad plotstate imports, bad ME1/ME2 source data not matching what the player did, and so forth (and I'm sure there are more :().

Anyways, time for me to head to bed (and then some). I can try to (hopefully) answer some more non-spoilery stuff tomorrow.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Eej posted:

Oh gently caress you BioWare.

From Ashes: Don't leave the planet before finishing the sidequest. You can't go back to Eden Prime so if you don't finish the Eden Prime Resistance before you leave it's just stuck in your quest log.

AUGH. I didn't even realize that was an actual sidequest until now; I thought those would just be war assets or something.

Earlier I (quite unnecessarily) replayed an hour of Citadel stuff because I thought the Hanar mission was bugged (no, it's just not written in a way that makes objectives clear); between this and messing up the resolution to the al-Jilani character, it's taking some willpower not to restart.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I appreciate you posting Birudojin, I really do. I don't want you to feel like I'm blaming you personally for this occurring. Maybe EA or whomever didn't allot the resources you would have needed, fine, whatever.

I just find it pathetic that I can't import my character that I've been using since game 1 in a planned trilogy because the developers lacked the foresight to make it doable. Sorry if that's a lovely thing to say, but you guys kinda blew it, at least on this one issue.

When people who have invested time and money in your projects since day one feel like they're getting hosed over for doing so, you have made a terrible mistake.

A CRUNK BIRD fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 7, 2012

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Aberrant posted:

So,what is the criteria for peace? I helped Legion convert the Reaper worshiping Geth into noraml Geth, is that it?

Concerning the Geth/Quarian thing and how to get peace

I managed to bring peace but I'm pretty sure it requires both a loyal Tali and Legion from ME2. If you convert the heretics you must save Admiral Koris in the side mission. If you blew them up I'm fairly certain you just need to do the side missions and that's it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Why isn't Birudojin in charge of the Bioware official forums and why do they let anyone else interact with their fans in the first place?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIP73xIAPLU

You have a huge table breaking chip on your shoulder man.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shepard you really are the worst at dancing.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Why isn't Birudojin in charge of the Bioware official forums and why do they let anyone else interact with their fans in the first place?

Because without the Bioware official forums to cage him, Stanley Woo would be able to go elsewhere on the internet. This is not a desirable thing.

End of line.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lord Lambeth posted:

Shepard you really are the worst at dancing.

The dancing had me laughing like a mad thing the other day. And then playing it yesterday, I had a character tell me "Shepard. Everybody knows you can't dance."

Yes.

doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

There are parts where Mass Effect 3 really is like Halo3 and Reach copied and remade as an "RPG" by deviant art commenters and fan fic writers.

How the same people who wrote all the interesting and intelligent fluff dialogue with EDI managed to come up with that ending sequence blows my mind.

At least the gameplay and multiplayer is really fun.

Two questions:

Did anyone manage to find the Mattock Rifle and can spoil the location?

Is Morinth's only "appearance" really the email she sends or did I just manage to miss her mission?

doo doo thief fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 7, 2012

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Okay, the DLC companion is A++. I cringed when it was announced but I think the mission to acquire him was quite well handled.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So I just discovered this bullshit: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/06/a-mass-effect-3-psa-multiplayer-affects-the-ending/#more-97706

What's the threshold for getting a "good" ending in singleplayer? I've got the war readiness bar completely full due to obsessive probing, but all my galaxy regions are stuck at 50%.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Mordiceius posted:

I think it comes to a point right now where that for some people, Bioware can't do anything right. I think the complaint is stupid myself, but I think the internet echo chamber is just unnecessarily loud right now.
Yeah, this is it. The game is really great and a great step forward for storytelling in games. No, it is not perfect, but it does so much more right than wrong that all the hate it gets over things like a stock photo is just hilarious. But nerds gotta be nerds so hey.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ymgve posted:

So I just discovered this bullshit: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/06/a-mass-effect-3-psa-multiplayer-affects-the-ending/#more-97706

What's the threshold for getting a "good" ending in singleplayer? I've got the war readiness bar completely full due to obsessive probing, but all my galaxy regions are stuck at 50%.

Each time you win a multiplayer match on bronze, it increases by 4%.

Honestly, you should go just spend a night of multiplayer. It's co-op and I think it's really fun. Find a group of 3 other goons and just play for three hours.

EDIT: Also people complaining about why protheans look different between ME1, ME2 and ME3 obvious wasn't paying much attention. The prothean companion explains it all. His race ruled the galaxy and all other races they conquered just called themselves protheans as well. They're like the Roman empire. Not all Romans were from Rome.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 7, 2012

mania
Sep 9, 2004

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I appreciate you posting Birudojin, I really do. I don't want you to feel like I'm blaming you personally for this occurring. Maybe EA or whomever didn't allot the resources you would have needed, fine, whatever.

I just find it pathetic that I can't import my character that I've been using since game 1 in a planned trilogy because the developers lacked the foresight to make it doable. Sorry if that's a lovely thing to say, but you guys kinda blew it, at least on this one issue.

The way they handled the issue has been pretty lovely too. Make vague statements in their faq, not answer any questions people have been sending them via twitter, let a BSN thread get to over a 100 pages with people speculating about this problem. And only after all this ruckus, they're finally responding to it.

I dunno, maybe they wanted to kept it hush hush for fear of canceled preorders or bad press or whatever, but I'm really glad Birudojin posted about this early on. I was pretty pissed at first, but being told the reason why it won't import and being able to prepare face codes for my ME1 Sheps in advance for ME3, makes me less irritated about the whole thing.

Hey Birudojin, I just wanna say thanks for being open and explaining to us about this issue ages ago.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

picture

Thanks for the tablebreaking, spoiler picture of something that was posted about 50 times in the thread already (like just last page). Cool thread-reading, dog!

Something is broken with the import function: Kasumi died in her mission because apparently she wasn't loyal, despite me doing her loyality mission in ME 2

Mordiceius posted:

Okay, the DLC companion is A++. I cringed when it was announced but I think the mission to acquire him was quite well handled.

Yeah. I'm the most Paragon boyscout, but I just love his attitude and hate. He is perfect for Renegade Sheps.

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 7, 2012

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So the Hanar mission, I guess I am looking for these terminals? Right now, the map says there's one at the far end of the refugee area, but there's nothing there to scan. What am I missing??

Also, this game is fine, jesus people are so petty. 8 hours in and there's been some real janky moments, but it's still an easy 8 or 9 out of 10 so far.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Each time you win a multiplayer match on bronze, it increases by 4%.

Honestly, you should go just spend a night of multiplayer. It's co-op and I think it's really fun. Find a group of 3 other goons and just play for three hours.

EDIT: Also people complaining about why protheans look different between ME1, ME2 and ME3 obvious wasn't paying much attention. The prothean companion explains it all. His race ruled the galaxy and all other races they conquered just called themselves protheans as well. They're like the Roman empire. Not all Romans were from Rome.
I think he also said the statue on Illos were of a species in a previous cycle

AlternateAccount posted:

So the Hanar mission, I guess I am looking for these terminals? Right now, the map says there's one at the far end of the refugee area, but there's nothing there to scan. What am I missing??

Also, this game is fine, jesus people are so petty. 8 hours in and there's been some real janky moments, but it's still an easy 8 or 9 out of 10 so far.

Check your map

doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Charlie Mopps posted:

Yeah, this is it. The game is really great and a great step forward for storytelling in games.
We're in a bad place if objectively unoriginal and linear equates to a great step forward for video game storytelling.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Charlie Mopps posted:

Yeah, this is it. The game is really great and a great step forward for storytelling in games. No, it is not perfect, but it does so much more right than wrong that all the hate it gets over things like a stock photo is just hilarious. But nerds gotta be nerds so hey.

Actually, the best step forward in storytelling in games recently was RPGOTY Dark Souls, from From Software. As well as best step forward in gameplay.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

doo doo thief posted:

We're in a bad place if objectively unoriginal and linear equates to a great step forward for video game storytelling.
Your life must be so boring if you dislike anything that isnt original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Actually, the best step forward in storytelling in games recently was RPGOTY Dark Souls, from From Software. As well as best step forward in gameplay.

Hahah...hah.

You are being funny, right?

• Locked thread