Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

speedtek posted:

Full schedule, with links to each series' rules is here

Bookmark it!

Hmmm – OK so pardon my confusion – are we not doing the Korean race anymore or are these two different events?

My livery is terrible, I gotta work on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Dukket posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for good tutorials for creating vinyl groups

I've posted a little bit on doing basic custom letters:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441773&userid=129750#post396887036

Its pretty much like Sunday Punch said, break it down into basic shapes. Don't be afraid to use shapes as placeholders either if theres a complicated bit you can't do yet.

At the risk of sounding a bit cheaty, you can also take the image of the vinyl you're wanting to make and put a grid over it. Like in the Forza editor theres 4 gridlines in hight and 8 wide or something? Basicly taking the grid from the editor and laying it over your image so you can better figure out where things should go. I did this when making the elephant for the Karma Coffee logo and it helped alot. Because you can basicly see "oh yes, there should only be a quarter of that circle showing in grid X" and correct accordingly.

Also consider if it doesnt have to be 100% dead-on perfect supreme. Theres times where you'll have to decide between using 3 layers or 30 layers for something, sometimes its better to sacrifice some quality if it means keeping the layer count managable. I know my old rust-decals in F3 could be a hundred layers deep, I remade them in F4 and most are between 10-20 iirc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dukket posted:

Hmmm – OK so pardon my confusion – are we not doing the Korean race anymore or are these two different events?

The Korean race is a GTCC event.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Captain Hair posted:

More good advice

I was really blown away when I realized the majority of the logos and designs I was seeing weren’t just imported images. I have a few things started and feel like I’m starting to get the hang of the controls, though a key would be nice. I accidentally figured out that by shrinking an image down to nothing flips it. I don’t anticipate ever being all that good, but I’ll certainly learn a thing or two about spatial relations :)

Start simple

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Dukket posted:

I accidentally figured out that by shrinking an image down to nothing flips it.

Another similar tip, if you need to mirror a shape or collection of shapes, put the vinyl on one side of a car, then select "copy vinyls from left/right side" and it'll flip your vinyl group around. Then you save the mirrored vinyl and import it into the editor.

Another advantage to working on a car rather than the editor.

Speaking of which I just had a brainwave. Rather than settling on the editors poor grid layout, I could have just made my own grid using shapes and made the vinyl directly on a car! doh...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The big downside to mirroring is if you have any text. :smith:

Would be nice if the game had a proper text tool so it could reasonably deal with such things.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
That's what I did because the built-in grid is terrible.

Dukket: Shrinking a group until it goes into the negative doesn't actually flip it because you're flipping along the X and Y axes at the same time because Forza doesn't let you scale on a single axis for vinyl groups. Essentially you're flipping it twice so you end up with the same thing as when you started. It still can be useful though as it saves having to rotate something if you just want it 180 degrees to where it currently is.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
There are a couple of posts on the F4 forums about making a grid. One guy prints a grid on paper and tapes it to his TV...

Sunday Punch: I see what you mean - yeah, I guess rotating would probably be just as easy and quick...

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Ooh the Ultima GTR, that could be a good replacement for my Zonda R. I hear it handles amazingly.
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/epfvN.jpg][/tIMG]
Nevermind... Turns out that it sucks as an R2 car, bit of a let down.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Jarf posted:

Ooh the Ultima GTR, that could be a good replacement for my Zonda R. I hear it handles amazingly.

I couldn't do anything with the Ultima in R3 and R2. I tried messing around with the tuning settings too but didn't have any luck. Without the PI system it would probably be decent for the price/performance ratio, but starting in R3 with cars that drive way better hurts. I had hoped for something like the Radical or Lotus but it doesn't come close. I think it would be a much better car if you could swap in a smaller engine.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 7, 2012

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I had hoped for something like the Radical or Lotus but it doesn't come close. I think it would be a much better car if you could swap in a smaller engine.

My thoughts exactly. It would probably be amazing as an S class car.

Also if I wasn't a terrible driver.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Jarf posted:

You might just need more practice with it. I was setting times about 10 seconds a lap faster on The Ring than my current R2 times.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

You can swap a shelby engine into the Country Squire. It's awesome.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Dukket posted:

To my knowledge, there are three race series currently - GoonSpec, which is mainly AUGR members from the U.S.; Goon Touring Car Championship, which is hosted by GTCC and has racers from the U.S., Canada, and a smattering of other locations like that one island with the koalas and such; and SAEG's EuroGruppen races for those who are across the pond.

Terrible liveries can be fantastic. I try not to spend too much time on my liveries because they end up looking too busy or cluttered when I do that. Vinyl groups, however, can suck up a lot of time. A few good vinyls can really make a car pop. I have a few basic livery "templates" that I use to make many of my cars.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 7, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

CaseFace McGee posted:

To my knowledge, there are three race series currently - GoonSpec, which is mainly AUGR members from the U.S.; Goon Touring Car Championship, which is hosted by GTCC and has racers from the U.S., Canada, and a smattering of other locations like that one island with the koalas and such; and SAEG's EuroGruppen races for those who are across the pond.
Just to let it be known, anyone is welcome in the AUGR GoonSpec races. We have guys from a couple different clubs who race with us and I don't think we've ever fielded a 16-car grid.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

AAAAhhh - thank you - there are several conversations going at once. GoonSpec and GTCC are both Wednesday nights, I think that was a big part of my confusion.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Jarf posted:

I did turn steering back to Normal after finding out how counter-steering is unnecessarily nerfed on sim, but as far as I can tell the Ultima is as to the Zonda as a Subaru tends to be to a Mitsubishi Evo. If you can control the latter, the former feels like a fortress of smooth.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Just to let it be known, anyone is welcome in the AUGR GoonSpec races. We have guys from a couple different clubs who race with us and I don't think we've ever fielded a 16-car grid.

Yes, and I think the same goes for SAEG. GTCC is usually almost a full lobby, but there are a few people who are in another car club or no car club who race with us fairly regularly.

The biggest difference between the GTCC races and AUGR is the forced assists. GTCC is full simulation damage, all racing lines forced off, no TCS, no ABS. Clean(ish) racing and the simulation of a real race is emphasized, which is the reason for the sim damage and no racing or braking line (real life doesn't have a braking line). I don't know about SAEG, but I know AUGR spec races are less strict on assists.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Corvair seems like a load of fun in D-class with some wide tires and anything you can do to make it lighter. Interestingly, the factory wheels are very light; Torq-Thrusts add weight!

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

CaseFace McGee posted:

I don't know about SAEG, but I know AUGR spec races are less strict on assists.

SAEG is closer to GTCC. Whilst braking line is allowed, everything else is forced off and full damage is on (we experimented and found the racing was cleaner that way).

SAEG currently has two 'series' going. Twice a month we have races which vary in spec, but we also have a team-based BTCC style series now which will take place monthly until December, with an imperfect but mostly sound scoring system which accommodates not everyone being there every week.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

CaseFace McGee posted:

Yes, and I think the same goes for SAEG. GTCC is usually almost a full lobby, but there are a few people who are in another car club or no car club who race with us fairly regularly.

The biggest difference between the GTCC races and AUGR is the forced assists. GTCC is full simulation damage, all racing lines forced off, no TCS, no ABS. Clean(ish) racing and the simulation of a real race is emphasized, which is the reason for the sim damage and no racing or braking line (real life doesn't have a braking line). I don't know about SAEG, but I know AUGR spec races are less strict on assists.
We're strict on assists, like SAEG and GTCC.

* Full Sim Damage everywhere but Nurburgring (and probably Le Mans when we get there, for obvious reasons)
* Racing lines off (except Nurburgring)
* No TCS
* No SCS
* ABS can sometimes be on, if it's a Spec series whose rules allows ABS.
* Standard steering is generally allowed, as we have a few people who use controllers vs. wheels, and forced Sim steering really fucks them up. Likewise, we have some folks with wheels that aren't dialed in, and Sim steering fucks their countersteering.
* Some series allow automatic transmissions (GoonMons, in particular)
* We encourage clean driving through the use of an honor system Black Flag stop and go penalty. If you knock someone off their line 'enough' (That pang of guilt you just felt...) the penalty is a run through the pits.

I think the two primary differences between the Wednesday Night races are:
* GTCC runs 'interesting fantasy spec' each week (like tonight's SpecKR, which looks like a hell of a lot of fun, BTW. I'm jelly!), and it changes ever week. GoonSpec builds off of real world race series rulebooks, and keeps the spec for ~3 weeks at a time, so you can get more comfortable with the tune for your car.
* I get the impression (but haven't confirmed myself) that there's a higher standard of driving skill expected at GTCC, and many dick jokes. GoonSpec is full of awful drivers* who just hope to get through turn one without black flagging themselves, and many fewer dick jokes.

Oh, and GoonSpec runs in Seasons of 12 weeks, and race sessions are scored using a modified BMWCCA scoring system, with some optional bonus points available each week for 'best' paint and 'gooniest' paint, to keep the slower-but-creative drivers in the points running...

The best part is that there's enough interest in the game that we manage to fill two lobbies every Wednesday night.

* except Boaz, Joe, and Dan, who are loving MUTANTS, I swear.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 7, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Jarf, send the Ultima my way and I'll see if I can make it behave itself.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Interesting - last I heard, GoonSpec had a more lax approach to assists. It may have been just an AUGR side race or something.

There are quite a few very good racers in GTCC, but there is a wide variety of skill levels - there is always someone close that you can race with. A decent amount of us are wheel users, but plenty of controllers. Also,there are a select few like me who use as few assists as the game allows - controller sim steering is best sim steering.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

xzzy posted:

I haven't seen the car in game yet, but I'd guess they just fudged it. Like, the suspension is there and it simply doesn't move, even though the tire does.

Or maybe they've been lying about suspension this whole time. :iiam:

After doing some inspection last night, the former appears to be the case. The suspension is there, but it simply doesn't move. The inside of the wheel hub does some "interesting" things to cheat this.

I don't care. I'm just happy to get this car and I really, really want a 917.

This Ferrari sounds incredible, by the way. I want to drive it all the time.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

One of them is me, and our season finale last season was full... Till the xbox servers poo'd all over our hopes and dreams.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So what's the jury on sim steering vs standard? I have a wheel that I occasionally use but been using my controller more lately since using the wheel involves moving my stand in and all the huff and gruff stuff. Should I just save sim steering for the wheel since counter steering is a bit weird?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

einTier posted:

After doing some inspection last night, the former appears to be the case. The suspension is there, but it simply doesn't move. The inside of the wheel hub does some "interesting" things to cheat this.

I don't care. I'm just happy to get this car and I really, really want a 917.

This Ferrari sounds incredible, by the way. I want to drive it all the time.

It's remarkably tame for what it is, I expected to be doing donuts just trying to get out of the pits.

But yes, it is glorious, and it gives me a huge amount of hope that there are two things coming in the Porsche pack:

*A 917 or 908
*An event featuring the 917/908 versus the 312

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy
Schedule is updated and available here: http://www.jonathonbarton.net/index.php/goonspec/goonspec-series-schedule/

Open to taking votes on TBA races.

Also throwing around the concept of "reward weight" for each mini-series.

First Place will net you a 10% power handicap in the next race, 2nd and 3rd get 5% up to a maximum 15%

Finishing lower than 5th will remove 5% of rewards weight.

LAST SEASON'S WINNING BTCC CAR HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM ELIGIBILITY

No, it's not because I'm mad I lost- I had one of those too. It was just too much faster than everything else.

The new Clio is also ineligible, as is the VW from the last pack.

silverbullitt850 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 7, 2012

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Ringo Star Get posted:

So what's the jury on sim steering vs standard? I have a wheel that I occasionally use but been using my controller more lately since using the wheel involves moving my stand in and all the huff and gruff stuff. Should I just save sim steering for the wheel since counter steering is a bit weird?

I only use a controller w/ sim steering on for Forza 4, I love it. It feels a lot more "connected" than FM3 did.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

Sim steering on the wheel feels impossible to me. I only use it on the controller, where it makes the cars more responsive. I know some people manage to use it on the wheel, so it may just depend on what wheel you're using and how it's set

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

What times are the races tonight?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sim steering is alright, but it doesn't feel realistic at all with a 900 degree wheel. I stick with 270 because that's what the game uses. At 900 degrees, it's alright if you keep control of the car. Once you start oversteering a bit too much, the car is gone and there is no way to save it. No matter how many dabs of oppo you apply, you can't get the car to go straight. At 270, I'm always in control.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

-Colon Cowboy

Kilonum posted:

What times are the races tonight?

We start at 8:00pm Mountain time. Usually everyone is on between 7 and 7:30, so we'll do test races beforehand.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ringo Star Get posted:

Yeah, I try and keep it below (edit: this was meant to say 540) degrees for sim steering or it becomes too much of an effort to save any little loss of traction to the rear end. I think they overdid the 'fix' to the countersteering bug since you cannot feel inertial feedback and it's all based on muscle memory. I'm trying to play a game, not be physically exhausted after 3 laps.

270 is about ideal because it allows you to feel in control but there's still the potential to blow a corrective steering maneuver. I turn it up a bit for more poo poo-box style cars to keep it from feeling *too* controllable/racey.

Normal steering just feels too easy to me, with a controller it's virtually impossible to lose control as long as you have some semblance of motor control in your throttle finger.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 7, 2012

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I use 720 degrees of steering with simulation mode, and it's done me OK so far.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sorry, I meant 540 there as that's what I use for the majority of my preferred street/stock cars - I like 720 as well and used that for a good amount of time after the patch, but I've got a bit of a dodgy wrist so I find that it tends to get worn out too quickly countersteering set there, and 540 allows me to throw the casual drift here and there without too much effort returning it to a racing line when I'm done with the corner, and without feeling like I'm losing the point of having a Fanatec.

900 is just too hard to 'feel' where the countersteer should be going without feedback through your seat.

270 for R cars that have a quicker rack/faster ratio.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

silverbullitt850 posted:

Schedule is updated and available here: http://www.jonathonbarton.net/index.php/goonspec/goonspec-series-schedule/

Open to taking votes on TBA races.

Also throwing around the concept of "reward weight" for each mini-series.

First Place will net you a 10% power handicap in the next race, 2nd and 3rd get 5% up to a maximum 15%

Finishing lower than 5th will remove 5% of rewards weight.

LAST SEASON'S WINNING BTCC CAR HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM ELIGIBILITY

No, it's not because I'm mad I lost- I had one of those too. It was just too much faster than everything else.

The new Clio is also ineligible, as is the VW from the last pack.

I assume you're referring to the 207. Looks like I need to find something else...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I assume you're referring to the 207. Looks like I need to find something else...
Yep, the 207 is removed from the list of eligible cars on Jabs' website. Guess I am gonna make a new car when I get home from work!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/5255334.aspx This months King of the Track has you swerving in between jet dryers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I said come in! posted:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/5255334.aspx This months King of the Track has you swerving in between jet dryers.

Indy in a car I have problems keeping grounded?

gently caress.

• Locked thread