Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

xzzy posted:

Coincidental penalties still put players in the box.. someone has to serve that time. But you don't lose a man on the ice for it. Doesn't matter if it's a minor or a major.. even if it's 5 on 5, someone is in the box serving the penalty.

Only time someone doesn't go to the box is if it's near the end of a period and a guy gets a fighting major.. he typically goes straight to the locker room. But after the intermission he'll show up in the box and sit for his remaining time.

5+2 penalties put an extra player in the box to serve the two minutes and give a 5 on 4 situation.

I would guess he's wondering about what makes for a 2 minute 4 on 4 vs just two people going in the box for minors and it still being 5 on 5. Because I'm not all clear on that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
They actually have a really extensive table laying out all the potential scenarios: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26556

Though I'm fairly sure that just one set of coincidental minors during 5 v 5 play (2 min to each team) will always result in 4 v 4 and that chart just details situations with additional penalties on top of that.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Look Around You posted:

I would guess he's wondering about what makes for a 2 minute 4 on 4 vs just two people going in the box for minors and it still being 5 on 5. Because I'm not all clear on that either.
I believe it's referee discretion in that case. As someone who's gone to a metric ton of games, when it's 5 on 5 and 2 people start shoving and trading roughing calls, it's always going to be a 4 on 4, however, if it's 4 on 4 or one team is on the powerplay and the same situation happens, they'll call coincidental penalties and neither team will lose a man.

I think it's something the league has told the refs to do. 4 on 4 brings about more scoring chances so they create that situation given the opportunity to call matching minors. However, they don't like to go lower than that if the situation presents itself.

Also to add when a player gets a 5+2, he and the guy in there serving the minor so the other team gets a powerplay are effective serving the penalty at the same time. The player serving the 5+2 won't get out until 7 minutes are up. So while there's a guy serving his minor, he still in essence has to serve it too.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Look Around You posted:

The official distinction between coincidentals and offsetting penalties is offsetting penalties have to be a part of one incident.

A fight is one incident, so the two guys each get 5 minutes, but the penalties offset, and they can be replaced from the bench.

If I cross-check you, the ref signals for it, and during the delay, a guy on your team roughs me up a bit in retaliation, those are two different incidents, and so would be two coincidental minors.

(I think it's questionable in the scenario where I cross-check you and you do something right back to me. That could be considered one incident.)

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

http://www.nbclearn.com/portal/site/learn/science-of-nhl-hockey

I just snipped this off twitter and it's fantasticly nerdy and informative.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
What do the announcers mean when they say that someone "centers it"?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CobwebMustardseed posted:

What do the announcers mean when they say that someone "centers it"?

Trying to get the puck directly in front of the net, where hopefully a teammate is waiting to snap the puck past the goalie.

This area is also known as the "slot" which is a trapezoid shaped area in front of the goalie where a majority of goals are scored from. The slot extends to the top of the faceoff circles, and narrows as it gets closer to the crease.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
edit: this is not the n/v thread

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
When I said "NOT put a player in the box" I was being an idiot, I actually meant that a team doesn't lose a player - I knew a player still had to serve the time...

...And further to that, yes, I was wondering why sometimes it's 4 on 4 and sometimes it's full strength. Thanks for all your replies!

thehustler fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 7, 2012

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Gio posted:

Awhile back someone tweeted a list of players that had these characteristics and I can't find it for the life of me. Had the title "Statistical Nightmares".

Realized I found this but forgot to post it (thank Yannick Weber for reminding me with how terrible he is). I think this guy writes for Backhand Shelf on The Score.

http://camcharron.tumblr.com/post/15474852084/statistical-nightmares

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

I’m going to my first ever NHL game tonight (Pens vs. Leafs). Is there anything I should know before embarking?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

I’m going to my first ever NHL game tonight (Pens vs. Leafs). Is there anything I should know before embarking?

Have you been to any level of hockey before? Minors, juniors, college, anything?

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Watch 71 on the Pens every time he steps on the ice.

The leafs defense is horrific.

I think that should about cover it. Unless you don't know the rules, in which case icing/offsides should probably be explained.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

It's easier to track the puck by watching the players' body language than it is to follow the actual puck, so look for how players are facing, positioning themselves, etc and you'll notice a lot more going on than you will if you just try to watch the puck. There's almost no announcements during the game, just goals and penalties basically (and the 1 minute in the period ones), so it's more or less on you to figure out what's happening.

Where are your seats?

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

Have you been to any level of hockey before? Minors, juniors, college, anything?

I've only ever been to a couple high school hockey games, and not for a number of years. I'm pretty wet behind the hockey ears.

Zorkon posted:

I think that should about cover it. Unless you don't know the rules, in which case icing/offsides should probably be explained.

I do know the rules from watching games on TV, but I have a hunch that it's a little different in person. I'll be with people who should be able to clarify things for me, though.

Look Around You posted:

Where are your seats?

I did the student rush online this morning and ended up with two in 116.

How early should I get there? Is there stuff to see before the game starts?

edit: Also, what does a person wear underneath a jersey? How cold will the arena be?

CobwebMustardseed fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 7, 2012

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

there are warmups which start about a half hour before gametime. Both teams skate around their own zones and run a couple drills.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

I've only ever been to a couple high school hockey games, and not for a number of years. I'm pretty wet behind the hockey ears.

I do know the rules from watching games on TV, but I have a hunch that it's a little different in person. I'll be with people who should be able to clarify things for me, though.

I did the student rush online this morning and ended up with two in 116.

edit: Also, what does a person wear underneath a jersey? How cold will the arena be?

I have always been fine just wearing a t-shirt under my jersey at Consol, only gets somewhat colder near ice level. Warm-ups are usually 30-45 min before the game starts I think. If you havent been to the arena yet I would just go down early to check it out.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

dms666 posted:

I have always been fine just wearing a t-shirt under my jersey at Consol, only gets somewhat colder near ice level. Warm-ups are usually 30-45 min before the game starts I think. If you havent been to the arena yet I would just go down early to check it out.

Yeah, actually, this is a good point. Get there early and walk around the concourse(s). Consol is supposed to be really nice.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The biggest difference is that hockey is a hell of a lot faster in person. As others have said, you don't have to watch the puck the whole time. Try to mentally "zoom out" and see the majority of the players on the ice. It'll help you track the game more easily.

Enjoy!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part of being at games is you get to choose what you watch. :allears:

You'll see fights before the TV commentator has even registered one has started.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Here's one that'll blow your mind: When a team's on the power play, watch how they keep a guy waaaaaay offside before they move the puck up. He'll tag up right before they gain the zone. #Hockey103

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm so excited. Maybe I'll luck out and get to see someone mash Phil Kessel's big goony nose into the ice.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm so excited. Maybe I'll luck out and get to see someone mash Phil Kessel's big goony nose into the ice.

Too bad you missed seeing Colby Armstrong getting his big goony nose smashed by a day

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

You can see the new Mario Lemieux statue they just unveiled today!

e: it's on...Centre Avenue? they kept looking over at the Civic Arena at least.

further e: "located in the plaza outside the Trib Total Media Gate, near the intersection of Centre Avenue and Washington Place"

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You mean Phaneuf? Kessel is pretty clean and not goony at all.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

Look Around You posted:

You mean Phaneuf? Kessel is pretty clean and not goony at all.

Oh, I meant goony in the sense that he has a big honkin' doofus face, not goony in the hockey sense.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

Here's one that'll blow your mind: When a team's on the power play, watch how they keep a guy waaaaaay offside before they move the puck up. He'll tag up right before they gain the zone. #Hockey103

You wanna run this one by me? Is this because if someone misses a pass in the neutral zone an offside is less costly than an icing in terms of faceoff position? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

DrGonzo90 posted:

You wanna run this one by me? Is this because if someone misses a pass in the neutral zone an offside is less costly than an icing in terms of faceoff position? Or is there something else I'm missing?

I don't really notice people actually hanging behind the blue line much, but I've seen teams (the pens at least) put a person standing right on the blue line. They'll play a lot more agressive on the breakout and put forwards a lot farther up the ice than they would in 5 on 5.

An offside from a long stretch pass and an icing are usually the same in terms of faceoff position, the only difference is that an icing doesn't let you make a change. On the PP this doesn't matter nearly as much though.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

There’s been a lot of talk in the N/V thread about whether changing the playoff structure so that the division winners were not automatically given the top three seeds would be a good idea or not. Why is this something people might want? What is the rationale behind this?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Just look at the point totals. One division is far better than the other two, and the #2 and #3 teams are going to have fewer points than #4-#6.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

So the thinking is that it's unfair to teams who are in a more competitive division? Because they might not get home ice advantage, despite technically deserving it for having gotten more points during the season?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

So the thinking is that it's unfair to teams who are in a more competitive division? Because they might not get home ice advantage, despite technically deserving it for having gotten more points during the season?

Pretty much.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
The exact same thing happens almost as a matter of routine in baseball, and outside of a few particularly extreme examples (the 83-win 2006 Cardinals winning the World Series being probably the most notable one) nobody seems to really give a poo poo (outside of maybe Toronto Blue Jays fans).

What exactly makes this A Big Problem when it comes to hockey? Does it have to do with the fact that there are more teams going to the hockey playoffs, and therefore playoff seeding is more important, than in baseball, where only the three division leaders plus one wildcard (the second wildcard is stupid and using a single-game playoff to decide the wildcard spot is stupid and I presently refuse to acknowledge it) from each league make the playoffs?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Top four seeds play 4 games of the 7 game series at home, which is a Big Deal in hockey.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Home field/ice advantage means quite a bit more in hockey than other sports because home team gets last line changes and on faceoffs, the visiting center has to place his stick on the ice first. Sort of like homefield in baseball, especially during the WS when home team dictates NL or AL DH rules

It's not really a big deal most of the time, you just have outlier years when teams with very few points/wins win the division and other teams are ineligible for the playoffs, despite having better records. This year, as bad as the SE division is teams like Boston (and probably others) aren't exactly steamrolling the SE teams so it's a case of looking at the forest rather than the trees.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT
Basically Atlantic division fans are real annoyed that the rules don't work in their favor this year and therefore want to change them forever. Happens every year (not always by Atlantic fans, mind.)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I'd say home ice advantage matters the least of the "4 major sports", and I think home and away records in the regular season and playoffs indicate this.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

It's not just home ice advantage, it's the matchups they get. The 4-5 matchup will probably in both conferences this year guarantee that a very good team exits in the first round, when the 4 and 5 seeds would actually be the 2 and 3 seeds without divisional seeding and therefore face the 7 and 6 teams instead of each other.

As a matter of fact I hadn't even thought about the home ice advantage thing and am not sure why that's what everyone thought people were complaining about. Either way, it's a dumb system and just because it is longstanding and prevalent in other sports doesn't make it good.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

a false posted:

It's not just home ice advantage, it's the matchups they get. The 4-5 matchup will probably in both conferences this year guarantee that a very good team exits in the first round, when the 4 and 5 seeds would actually be the 2 and 3 seeds without divisional seeding and therefore face the 7 and 6 teams instead of each other.

As a matter of fact I hadn't even thought about the home ice advantage thing and am not sure why that's what everyone thought people were complaining about. Either way, it's a dumb system and just because it is longstanding and prevalent in other sports doesn't make it good.

Yeah I'm not as much upset with the home ice as the matchup. Right now the 6th seed has more points than the "3rd" seed (divisional winner) in both conferences. Basically, the issue I have is that the 6th place team as it is now actually gets a better matchup than the 4th and 5th seeds because they play a team with less points than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Not barring the whole division champ anomaly, I wonder how much home ice really matters over the fact that generally the team with home ice is just better to begin with. That's usually how they get there.

• Locked thread