Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Pressly is on the wall. 4th down k the left side for me in my regular game. Charles Pressly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Speaking of this, I was surprised that they included the names of the red shirts that died in the Collector attack on there but not Navigator Pressly.

No, he's on there, near the top.

Can anyone find Tank's post with the necessary Galaxy at War scores for the various endings, or will 5462 (with readiness of 79% or so factored in) be enough for all of them?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

James Trickington posted:

You need a gold account, according to some internet people. This is the usual deal. Man, I can go like six months without doing anything on gold, cancel it, and one drat week later find a reason to need it again. :argh:

This really upsets me. As someone who never really does multiplayer anything, I figured I'd buy the game on the 360 because I have the ME1 and 2 saves for it, burn a few Amazon gift cards, and now I have to pay even more and am going to be time-limited into beating the game to get the 'good' ending. Had I known that, I would have just bought the PS3 version and downloaded savegames.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

This really upsets me. As someone who never really does multiplayer anything, I figured I'd buy the game on the 360 because I have the ME1 and 2 saves for it, burn a few Amazon gift cards, and now I have to pay even more and am going to be time-limited into beating the game to get the 'good' ending. Had I known that, I would have just bought the PS3 version and downloaded savegames.

If you're a completionist, you don't need multiplayer.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Super.Jesus posted:

Anyone figure out a way to unfuck the bugged Citadel mission? Hanar diplomat in particular.

My experience with the Hanar mission:

Walkthrough spoiler below!

I received the email, and found the guy outside of the CSec guy's office in the Embassy level. I then went to the SPECTRE office and taunted 007 went to the lefthand console and enabled Hanar spying. It then activated the wall unit on the wall past the elevator (it would be to your left walking out of the elevator).
I was able to interact with it and speak with the agent.
At this point my mission glitched. The wall unit remained bracketed but I wasn't able to interact with it. I inferred the docking holding area from the conversation though, so I went there and found another console along the lefthand wall in the hallway.
Next stop was a console to the right at the end of the holding area, then back to the console in the hallway. At that point I could go back to the embassy area and meet up with the agent to finish the mission. Unless you had Kasumi, your choices will be save the agent via renegade interrupt, or save the hanar homeworld.

I've heard that you have to do this mission in one shot; if you leave the citadel it could bug out/not be able to be advanced.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

CaptainCarrot posted:

If you're a completionist, you don't need multiplayer.

True, but I'd rather not pull my hair out making sure I use the right dialogue choices to get every war asset (420 punch reporters every day). Eh, I'm just bitching, this does take some of the fun out of it for me, though.

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

Same here, I think the PS3 versions were at high discount the last couple weeks too. Actually I would've opted for the PC, since it can only be so long until they shovel up a mod for tricking the save files. This is what I get for avoiding all the irritating hype / promotional nonsense though.

Friday I'll probably just hook up my gold subscription again and find some goons. One thing I love about goons is they're pretty fun to play with online. When GoW2 launched, a few of us had a blast in that game's survival mode and I didn't anticipate even trying it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lawlicaust posted:

Pressly is on the wall. 4th down k the left side for me in my regular game. Charles Pressly.

Ah, so he is. They never used his first name until now.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Fhqwhgads posted:

True, but I'd rather not pull my hair out making sure I use the right dialogue choices to get every war asset (420 punch reporters every day).

I'm sick of your tabloid journalism

RT ducked? SURPRISE RT HEADBUTT, you thought you were a fighter?

Stay down

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Does more of the Citadel open up as you progress through the main story or am I missing an elevator or something? I have a few quest turn-in type things from scanning but going to the citadel it seems like the C sec area, hangar area, and hospital are the only places to go and I can't find anyone in any of them for turn-ins (let alone vendors outside a spectre terminal and the one in the hospital).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Ah, so he is. They never used his first name until now.

Missed a chance for it to be Elvis. Can't decide whether I'm impressed or disappointed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I am generally feeling positive about this game right now but there's just enough dumb nerd fan service to make me feel kind of slimy playing it. Did you have to lovingly model in cameltoe? Seriously?

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Everyone fretting and sweating about the "timed" aspect of the game needs to chill the gently caress out. It's not that severe. You get plenty of war assets of the game, more than enough to make up for any readiness bleed. I spent a lot of time just running back and forth listening to all the radiant dialog on the Citadel (farmhouse Asari and Alzheimer's Mom are the saddest things) and bolting around the galaxy looking for poo poo outside of the main storyline. It's not a race. Take the game at your own pace, you'll have plenty of readiness by the end of it.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Oh god, I need help. I've spent almost an hour trying to get through the Quarian mission "Destroy the reaper base". I have trouble right at the end of the mission when I'm using the laser marker to paint the reaper for the fleet. I can survive up until the very end when the reaper is right on top of me and time slows WAY down. My normal method used for the previous 4-5 shots of "go right once I see laser then change direction to left" gets me killed. Committing to just one direction gets me killed. Standing still gets me killed. Throwing the laser marker and four letter words at the reaper gets me killed. Help please.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
Anyone having problems redeeming Gamestop preorder codes?

I tried to punch in the one on my purchase receipt, and kept getting "invalid code" errors.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Kotaru posted:

Oh god, I need help. I've spent almost an hour trying to get through the Quarian mission "Destroy the reaper base". I have trouble right at the end of the mission when I'm using the laser marker to paint the reaper for the fleet. I can survive up until the very end when the reaper is right on top of me and time slows WAY down. My normal method used for the previous 4-5 shots of "go right once I see laser then change direction to left" gets me killed. Committing to just one direction gets me killed. Standing still gets me killed. Throwing the laser marker and four letter words at the reaper gets me killed. Help please.

Don't move. The laser tracks faster when you are standing still and it should give you enough time.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I am using gibbed's editor to change the galaxy at war things in BIOUI. What options should I be changing?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
It just seems kind of weak that my renegade shep, who has been fighting the eldritch horrors of deep space for years and slaughtering colonies based on their number of eyes, finally has PTSD catch up with him because of that dumb kid.

Also, I'm pretty tired of everyone feeling the need to reinforce how great I am at every possible moment.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

canada jezus posted:

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but is there some sort of bug that resets your money, or does it cost money to die or something? Because i just lost like everything i had except for 10%.

I mean if its going to be like that then i have to replay a few hours to make sure i don't die to bullshit anymore. Also like spend everything in advance.

This happened to me early in the game. Went from around 80k to 35k for seemingly no reason. Didn't matter much in the end anyway. Armor/Weapons had very little impact on gameplay even on Insanity.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Due to game mechanics, my Shepard is an instinctual raging sociopath constrained by the better angels of his forebrain. If I get a button flash during a cut-scene, I will press the button. I cannot not push the button. Shep-Jesus talking Vega through his PTSD? If the renegade flash pops up, I will, without hesitation punch him right in the loving face.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kotaru posted:

Sometimes you just need to chill out and let things happen man.

Don't move and just hold the button down and watch the fireworks

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
This is probably a very silly question, but can you max out the whole skill tree by the end of the singleplayer game? Or can I respec?

The same thing goes for multiplayer.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Side quest spoilers (Samara): In 2 Didn't Samara say the only Ardat-Yakshi were extremely rare and the only ones in existence were her three kids? But now there is a monastery full of them?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I'm in the mission where you meet banshees for the first time. It's dark and I can hear them everywhere and I want my mommy

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Sorry if this has been answered before but I'm trying to avoid spoilers and what-not. How long is ME3 compared to 1 and 2? The same?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Lawlicaust posted:

Side quest spoilers (Samara): In 2 Didn't Samara say the only Ardat-Yakshi were extremely rare and the only ones in existence were her three kids? But now there is a monastery full of them?

There's been a few mentions of Ardat-Yakshi monasteries (for example, the gourmet food vendor mentions honey made at AYM's), especially in ME2. I think either Samara was downplaying it, or they're just really rare but not unheard of.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

Yeah, she did. I don't know what's going on there, but frankly this way makes more sense.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

CaptainCarrot posted:

Yeah, she did. I don't know what's going on there, but frankly this way makes more sense.

Well, the Asari are one of the major powers in the galaxy so there's probably trillions of them, so they could still be incredibly rare if there's just enough to fill one monastery.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lawlicaust posted:

The slowdown is a but confusing. I don't know whether it's supposed to slowdown cast time or cooldowns. If its cast time, the it straight up doesn't affect charge and nova.

If it is cooldown and if you have very little weight and other power reducing effects, it doesn't slow it down at all. My charge still comes up about 1 second after nova. I'm actually using three weapons as well and still have extremely quick cooldowns (because the weapons are all weightless thanks to my powers and mods).

Fortification is just so good. Virtually no cooldown for 25% damage reduction (30% if you don't want the melee damage bonus) and 20% damage and force. Then you can expend it for 100% melee damage bonus. Combined with other +melee from powers, bonuses, and weapons, this makes you melee for incredible amounts.

With this setup, I don't have to be that cautious on insanity like I was in 2. Other than a handful of situations, I've been able to just charge around and explode people with melee.

You pop it just like Tech Armor, right? So best decision would be to map Fortification to the LB and Nova to RB and pop the armor when you need to beat something to death Nova didn't kill? Not sure how often you need to do that.

I look forward to trying this out.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Side quest question (citadel).

I'm trying to complete the quest for the ambassador who wanted to know what happened to his son. I've overheard the drunk guys in the bar discussing what happened, but I can't relay that information to the father.

Is there something I'm supposed to locate on a planet somewhere?

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008

Nitis posted:

Anyone having problems redeeming Gamestop preorder codes?

I tried to punch in the one on my purchase receipt, and kept getting "invalid code" errors.

I had trouble with the amazon code. For 4 tries (and the obligatory reading out loud), it didn't go through. After waiting an hour or two and firing up the X360 again, it worked.

What worries me now is that every time I log in, it tells me I last played this from another console. :tinfoil:

fookolt posted:

This is probably a very silly question, but can you max out the whole skill tree by the end of the singleplayer game? Or can I respec?

The same thing goes for multiplayer.
You can respec in the medbay. It's on a sickbed toward the core AI door in the back. Also I figure this game has New Game +, as the predecessors did, but I can't answer for sure since my ME2 save started me at level 37.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

azflyboy posted:

Side quest question (citadel).

I'm trying to complete the quest for the ambassador who wanted to know what happened to his son. I've overheard the drunk guys in the bar discussing what happened, but I can't relay that information to the father.

Is there something I'm supposed to locate on a planet somewhere?

The solution to this quest is kind of weak to me, mainly because it's also a solution to a number of the other side quests:

Go into the spectre office and use the info terminal, there should be an item there you can purchase: the kids dog tags. A number of quests on the citidel rely on you going to the spectre office to push butan.

Pretty crappy, but whatever.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Lawlicaust posted:

No, she just said that all three of her daughters are Ardat-Yakshi.

e: ^ I found his dog tags on Benning. I didn't see any option about it at the Spectre Office.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

So whats the deal with the 360 file transfer errors? I've skimmed the thread and apparently it has to do with the file being tied to a certain console and the file isn't being read on that one console, its a no go?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Lotish posted:

You pop it just like Tech Armor, right? So best decision would be to map Fortification to the LB and Nova to RB and pop the armor when you need to beat something to death Nova didn't kill? Not sure how often you need to do that.

I look forward to trying this out.

That's exactly how I have it mapped. I do charge, nova, pop, heavy melee, reapply if I have time then charge/nova again. The buff last 20 seconds so you can do a few charges before needing to pop of again. A heavy melee with it popped will instantly kill a normal troop, or a centurion after a charge. It makes heavy melee take out multiple stylus health bars too.

While the armor is on and not popped you also get a power damage and force boost. This leads to some really amusing nova and charge knockbacks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Are the names of the crew of the original Normandy always on the wall? They are for my game. I inspected the Normandy Crash in ME1 and found all the tags, and then didn't lose the crew in ME2. Are people like Hadley and co. on the wall if you let them get turned into reaper soup?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I feel like every time I try Nova I just die instantly when my shields go down. As a result my playstyle is with 100% barrier Charge, 15% bonus damage shotgun to the face followed by Heavy Melee that resets cooldown on Charge and gives insane melee damage buff for like 30 seconds. Also Shotgun bayonet looks so god drat cool in cutscenes.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I just encountered the Rachni Queen, and I'm still wondering what to think. I spared her in ME1 because 1: it felt like the right thing to do; and 2: I ended her once and did not care for how Shep almost gleefully pushed the button and watched her die screaming. I liked the encounter on ME2 with her Asari aid telling you how the Rachni were rebuilding and the queen's promise to aid you against the Reapers.

Next part will be in spoilers, DO NOT READ unless you have reached/gotten past this part.

So first, they've retconned saving the queen as Shep has gotten her word that she'll ake the Rachni away from the galaxy and disappear, no mention or her promise from ME2. Apparently the Reapers found them and went right back to converting them into shock troops. So we essentially find the queen in practically the exact same prediciment from ME1, and we have to make practically the same decision.

Now I chose to help her again for her oath to aid against the Reapers (again) sacrificing Grunt's new squad to do so. Which led to a terrifying and awesome cutscene where I have a boulder in my gut thinking I just sacrificed Grunt as well. Fortunately he got better. So either they just retconned the whole Rachni thing from ME1, or I'm wondering if maybe some import flag didn't get read correctly ala Conrad from ME2.

Also Grunt gets the best lines "I don't need luck, I HAVE AMMO!!"

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008

Lotish posted:

Are the names of the crew of the original Normandy always on the wall? They are for my game. I inspected the Normandy Crash in ME1 and found all the tags, and then didn't lose the crew in ME2. Are people like Hadley and co. on the wall if you let them get turned into reaper soup?

I think so. On page 40,

Lawlicaust posted:

Also I just loaded my maximum fuckups Shepard and the memorial wall on the Normandy is so long....
And on that note, this makes me desperately want to start a whole new ME1 savefile and gently caress everything up the whole way through.

:allears: Everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's not the fact that it's MP and I have some adversion, it's ME3 MP. I refuse to play it out of the mentality that I would prefer it didn't exist.
This is the most childish thing in this thread, and that's saying a lot.

You're hating on it because it shouldn't exist when you haven't even tried it yet. Quit being a baby.

• Locked thread