Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Saw this at the LFS today, put it on hold until they were sure it was healthy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cculos
Apr 8, 2005

nwin posted:

So I think for starting out, since it's such a small aquarium, I'm just going to go with distilled water. After the live rock and the sand, I probably won't need any more than 10 gallons of it anyways. From all the research I've done online, it seems people can't make up their mind between RO water or Distilled water, although having both is the most preferred. I would like to just be able to go to the store and fill up 2 5 gallon jugs with what I need. Time for a stupid question, will I want Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals to mix with this, or Red Sea Coral Pro Set? I'm just getting my grocery list ready of stuff I'll be buying and want to make sure I get everything right. I'm definitely looking for a setup very similar to cculos'.

I'm not too sold on the protein skimmer yet though. Most things I've read online seem like it's a waste and you're constantly replacing the air stone every month for not much reward. I figure I'll skip on that for now and can always add it later if need be. Should I just stick with the normal cat ridge filter in there for now or do something else (I'm going to be following all your other steps with the media basket, etc.).

Also, what size heater would be recommended for this? I have an old 50W from my 29g freshwater that I would think to be more than adequate, but if it's too much, better to find out now before I start getting into it.

Finally, for stocking questions. The wife is insistent on a clown fish, which I'm cool with, We want to get a peppermint shrimp, and then I was thinking maybe a yellow watchman goby or something similar? Ideas? I'd love to get a pistol shrimp with the goby, but I don't think that will work out too well. Am I wrong?

Still have lots of questions, which is why the tank is still without water on the stand. I want to make sure I do everything right, because I've rushed into freshwater before and I know it doesn't have a great likelihood of turning out well.

- Heater: Marineland Stealth 50w. Whatever you use, make sure it has a way of holding a temperature. I lost fish that way. A thermometer is a big help too. You'd be surprised how much extra heat those lights can produce.

- Skimmer: I found it to be useful, though I suppose the airstones did have to be replaced semi frequently. Also, it's an absolute bitch to take apart, though I wasn't satisfied with using the carbon filters that are provided either, so grain of salt I suppose.

- Speaking of which; as far as salt is concerned; I haven't really noticed much of a difference, maybe some of the others on the forum can weigh in (Arioch is a veritable treasure trove of knowledge).

- The clown is a great addition to the tank; tried and true. Be careful if you get more than one in the tank though, as they fight for dominance and it usually means one will be beat up if it gets out of hand.

- Watchman gobies are supposed to be a good investment, though I haven't had any experience. Cool lookin dudes though.

- As for the shrimp, if you want to absolutely be entertained; go with a scarlet cleaner shrimp over any other kind. If you put your hand in the tank to clean the glass, often times they won't think twice about leaping on your hand and going for the ride to try and clean your skin. If they're friendly enough they'll do whatever it takes to scoot to the top of the water to make sure they're on your finger; it's really funny to watch.

The best advice I can give you is to keep reading; knowledge is key in this hobby. And go with distilled water, screw an RO unit. Your water bill will go through the roof and so will your bill for buying the damned thing. Esp. considering if done right, the tank shouldnt' cost you more than $5 / month to keep up with water changes (given $1 / gal for distilled and another $0.50 or so for salt per change).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

Saw this at the LFS today, put it on hold until they were sure it was healthy :)

That's a loving beautiful score.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

arioch posted:

That's a loving beautiful score.

They're asking $90 for it, but I'll make money back as soon as it gets cut in half :)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Not a bad price--compare to any online retail.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yeah, that's why I was like 'ok hold it!' They're usually pretty reasonable, but this surprised me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

cculos posted:

good info

For the heater, it looks like the stealths have been recalled, so I grabbed a 50w that I think will be good. You were right on the shrimp though, a scarlet is what I was looking for...I must have seen it mislabeled as a peppermint shrimp somewhere else...

Just bought a bunch of distilled water from walmart and a 5 gallon jug...now I just need to wait on supplies to come in!

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.
Sadly I've been dealing with what I can now best diagnose as Marine Velvet, I've lost half of my fish and the others are recovering. There hasn't been any consistent symptom and no new fish were added in almost a year. The only stressor might have been the cold snap we had in January that dropped the tank temp greater than usual. I needed a medication that was "reef safe" enough i.e. no copper. I decided to try Metronidazole bound to food with Focus (both Seachem products) and added garlic concentrate, too. The meds are supposed to be effective for various bacterial and parasitic infections. They weren't expensive (~$5/week of treatment) and not harmful on the fish like a lot of the other medications are; however, it is not a quick solution like dips are so I can't recommend it for all situations.

The flipside to all this is that my corals are doing amazing and my SPS have had consistent and quite full polyp extension since I started medicating. It's been depressing to say the least. No deaths of inverts (urchins, feather dusters, star fish, coco worm, etc.) either.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Updated pics of the corals (and YWG camera ham)!

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress is this and why is it in my tank:

It was stuck to the glass last night, and has since disappeared. It wasn't very big, only about 1 cm from tip to tip. I assume it's some kind of weird worm... should I be worried about this crawling into my ear canal in the middle of the night and taking over my brain? (Or more realistically, hurting something in my tank?)

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Anony Mouse posted:

What the gently caress is this and why is it in my tank:

It was stuck to the glass last night, and has since disappeared. It wasn't very big, only about 1 cm from tip to tip. I assume it's some kind of weird worm... should I be worried about this crawling into my ear canal in the middle of the night and taking over my brain? (Or more realistically, hurting something in my tank?)

It's a Cirratulid polychaete, and harmless. It's sometimes referred to by aquarists as a "hair worm". It probably decided to go for a walk up the tank wall. Normally it'd be in the substrate or in a rock crevice putting out those long palps and feeding on tiny detritus in the water or sand. Probably beneficial to the tank!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirratulidae
http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=919

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Got my live rock today!

And so it begins...sorry for the lovely pic. I have a magnet scraper coming that should clear it all up.

I went with cculos' recommendations on a bunch of stuff here.

BioCube 14
Hydro Pico 1200 replaced the stock pump
Removed the bioballs and have a chateo fuge going in the back with some LEDs with filter floss on the top and then chemipure on the bottom.

Haven't bought a skimmer yet...we'll see if I need it or not.

Looks like I've already got some aiptasia. They are small...no bigger than the size of my pinky fingernail...s this the kind of thing I need to run out and get some aiptasia x tomorrow or can I buy it off Amazon and wait until Wednesday to start killing them off?

Any suggestions? I'm not totally sold on the placement of the LR yet, so I can still move it around before I epoxy them all together.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
If you see aiptasia out and about you have them deeper in the rock as well. I'd get with a biological solution like peppermints, before these things end up all in your plumbing and back chambers as well.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 4, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

arioch posted:

If you see aiptasia out and about you have them deeper in the rock as well. I'd get with a biological solution like peppermints, before these things end up all in your plumbing and back chambers as well.

Is it a good idea to add peppermints only one day into setting up the tank though?

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.

nwin posted:

Is it a good idea to add peppermints only one day into setting up the tank though?

You could just take the rock out briefly and chip the chunk of rock off with the aiptasia on it. Not like you have any livestock yet to disturb.

Exothermos
Nov 1, 2011

Here is a pants-down cellphone pic of of my tank at work having a few issues right before a waterchange. Just thought I'd share because it's more interesting than pics of perfect, groomed aquariums.

It's an old 24 gallon Aquapod with the 150 watt HQI (in this case a coralife 20k bulb). The only filtration is a big sponge, and occasionally a packet of purigen. The tank has been set-up in this configuration for about 2 years, and has been extremely successful.

Recently I was having trouble with this really annoying green algae on the sand and the poor heliopora, but some water changes and siphoning fixed the problem. The fungia was an attempted rescue from a different tank. It was badly stung by a Lobophyllia brain coral, and unfortunately eventually succumbed. Also, check out those flatworms! I usually just siphon them out and don't stress about it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Looks pretty nice to me! The algae kinda looks like diatoms or dinos,was it snotty or powdery?

Also, I'm picking up that bitchin' nem today :3: Just need to find a place to put it haha.

Exothermos
Nov 1, 2011

It was very similar to a dino outbreak: a snotty sheet, but it didn't have the characteristic tendrils or the bubbles. Also it was bright grass-green instead of the golden color that I usually associate with dinos. v0v

cculos
Apr 8, 2005

nwin posted:

Got my live rock today!

And so it begins...sorry for the lovely pic. I have a magnet scraper coming that should clear it all up.

I went with cculos' recommendations on a bunch of stuff here.

BioCube 14
Hydro Pico 1200 replaced the stock pump
Removed the bioballs and have a chateo fuge going in the back with some LEDs with filter floss on the top and then chemipure on the bottom.

Haven't bought a skimmer yet...we'll see if I need it or not.

Looks like I've already got some aiptasia. They are small...no bigger than the size of my pinky fingernail...s this the kind of thing I need to run out and get some aiptasia x tomorrow or can I buy it off Amazon and wait until Wednesday to start killing them off?

Any suggestions? I'm not totally sold on the placement of the LR yet, so I can still move it around before I epoxy them all together.

Congrats, looks great! Brings back memories of when I had it up and running. A little advice for you: take a microfiber cloth and use it to wipe off / polish the glass on the tank. It's easier to see if you look at it up towards the light as well. :)

IDK about the aptasia, never had a problem with them. I did notice one in the 40g recently though, so I may have to do what I can to squash it.

BTW, setting up a new 30g frag tank soon, will post pictures when it's set up. It's going to be a shallow reef in my room. Complete 24x24x12 setup with new sump / fuge, quad bulb t5 light and a small powerhead to circulate water and a nice, powerful return pump. Can't wait!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I went in to pick up that nem this weekend, turns out after they get comfortable they're about 6-7" across. Too big for my tank at the moment. Apparently the lady that brought them in has some smaller ones that she'll be bringing by soon.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Ask your LFS if they will ship.

<----------

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

arioch posted:

Ask your LFS if they will ship.

<----------

Will do! They have them both in a display tank now, but for me they might just do it :)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
How do people get big fish home? Like 7+" ? do they bring a cooler or something or just bag it or what?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bucket? I imagine most salt water people have 5gal buckets

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Spotted another polychaete worm on my glass today. Now that I know what they are, I think they're kind of cute. :3:

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Hi all, for years my dad has kept a saltwater aquarium and it's always been something cool to watch and I've toyed around with setting up my own tank. About three months ago my dad decided he was done and offered the tank to me so I decided the time was right to get into this awesome hobby.

Cue two months of reading and researching and reading some more and ive finally started collecting all the pieces of what hopefully will become a successful aquarium.

I am going to start off from scratch with his tank as there is no real wild life in his tank anymore with the exception of algae all over the live rock (which there isnt much of to begin with) It's a 40br.

List of items I have acquired
40br tank and stand
700gph overflow kit from glass-holes.com
Return kit
Fluval 200w in tank heater (going to order a second for redundancy)
Big rear end bucket of salt
40lbs live sand
Aqueon sump system
Aqueon 600gph return pump
API saltwater test kit

Things I know I need:
Power heads! Haven't decided what I want to do here. Would really like a couple Ecotech mp10s but that's not in the budget right now so I'm leaning towards a couple Tunze 6015s, thoughts?
Plumbing, which will be taken care of once I get the tank location figured out and my overflow/return drilled.
More live rock, I currently have ~10lbs. Going to check out a few lfs to find a good deal on another 30lbs or so.

I've been going back and forth between a refugium setup in the sump or a protein skimmer, leaning more towards the fuge but I'm all for ideas on this. I know I need a light down there and I plan on going DIY led for the entire tank set up. I plan on using whatever light my dad has on it for a week or two while I order everything I need to build a new one. I figured if algae can survive just fine with the one he has now then there shouldn't be a problem using it to cycle the tank

Overall I'm excited to get this thing going. Expect lots of pictures and just as many questions

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A couple of suggestions as someone who has only had their first tank up and running for about a year now.

1 - You can have a refriguim and a protein skimmer. They are not mutually exclusive. If you only have room for one in your sump, protein skimmer hands down. You can always add a GFO/Carbon reactor later as they are relatively cheap and take up minimal space.

2 - On powerheads, if you eventually want mp10s you can spend less on your "temporary" powerheads, but those Tunze are nice if you want to hang on to them for a bit. I'd go for 2 of them to start.

3 - Live sand. Ditch it, reusing live sand can cause a lot of problems.

4 - Live rock. I would honestly consider ditching this as well if he had a lot of problems with hitchhikers and stopped caring for the tank. If it's clean, keep it. If not, it is going to be more trouble than it's worth. You do not need all live rock. You can do like 10lbs live rock and 30-40lbs of dead rock if you want to save some money.

5 - You shouldn't need two 200w heaters. The problem with having a heater that is big for your tank is that if it get stuck on you are screwed. I would go with 2 smaller heaters, and even then I would still use something like a rancor temp controller as a backup shutoff.

6 - Do you have an RODI unit? If not, look into it. Probably one of the best purchases, although expensive.

7 - Get yourself an auto-top off. The in-sump models are nice.

8 - Don't skimp on the lighting. A 40br isn't too expensive to light properly and it will make a big difference.

9 - Those API test kits may be bad by now. They expire.

If you haven't been hanging out on ReefCentral, I can't recommend it enough.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
The live sand is new in bags, he currently has crushed coral in there which I really don't like the looks of. Good idea on the rocks tho I'll ditch what he's got and just get new, no reason not to really if I'm already buying rock what's a few more pounds. The API kit i just ordered and wont be here till next week, I'll check the dates on it to make sure it isn't expired when I receive it, I can always send it back and get a refund.

If the protein skimmer is the way to go then I'll do that and look at reactors at a later date when my bank account rebounds, same for an auto top off and an RODI, I've been looking at The coral-life pure flow II, is this a good one? Also a recommendation on a skimmer would be dandy

I'll heed your warning about heaters and check out a shutoff. Don't want 40+ gallons of saltwater soup.

I've been looking at the aqua style 72 led set up for lighting, that should be sufficient right?

Thanks for the help so far, I'm glad I posted

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman 21 posted:

I've been looking at the aqua style 72 led set up for lighting, that should be sufficient right?

Thanks for the help so far, I'm glad I posted

Word of warning about the aquastyle kits. The LEDs are great, as are the drivers, fan and heatsinks etc.

If you are going to get or build a controller, don't get the normal drivers get the meanwell ones. If you have the money, get the meanwell ones anyways.

The potentiometers he uses are pretty poo poo though. Be aware you may have to replace them with local supply. I have one I keep on my blues that will flicker if not set to 100%. The one on my whites is solid as a rock.

Other than that, I am very happy with mine (12 royal blue, 12 4500k white (dimmed)) over a 20H.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Word of warning about the aquastyle kits. The LEDs are great, as are the drivers, fan and heatsinks etc.

If you are going to get or build a controller, don't get the normal drivers get the meanwell ones. If you have the money, get the meanwell ones anyways.

The potentiometers he uses are pretty poo poo though. Be aware you may have to replace them with local supply. I have one I keep on my blues that will flicker if not set to 100%. The one on my whites is solid as a rock.

Other than that, I am very happy with mine (12 royal blue, 12 4500k white (dimmed)) over a 20H.

I have the 72 kit over my 24 (only using 48 LEDs though) and all my pots work well. Got 16 whites on one string, 16 blues on one string and 8/8 on another.

Check the growth! (Don't mind the blue one, drat clown goby killed it :( )

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Henchman 21 posted:

If the protein skimmer is the way to go then I'll do that and look at reactors at a later date when my bank account rebounds, same for an auto top off and an RODI, I've been looking at The coral-life pure flow II, is this a good one? Also a recommendation on a skimmer would be dandy

You should move the RODI thingy up on your list. Buying it right away is cheaper and easier than buying RODI water and then buying an RODI thingy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Got a Mandarin Dragonet the other day. My girlfriend has been begging for one every since we set up the tank. Figured it's finally been up long enough to get her one.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Got a Mandarin Dragonet the other day. My girlfriend has been begging for one every since we set up the tank. Figured it's finally been up long enough to get her one.

Bloodworms work wonders if you're going to try to frozen train it (if it's not eating frozen already)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give them a shot.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give them a shot.

Is it eating any prepared foods at all? If it's eating Nutrimar Ova or something similar, buy that and slip in a couple bloodworms. Then wean it off the OVA, slip in whatever you feed your tank, mysis in my case. Then wean it off the bloodworms until it's only eating mysis or whatever.

I've had two take right to bloodworms from Ova, it's really not as hard as people say it is, just takes some patience is all. Also if your tank is rimless/topless I'd suggest putting something over it. Something spooked my mandarin and out he went! By the time it was feeding time he was a fish chip :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I bought it from LA so I did not get to see if it was eating prepared foods. I haven't seen him go for pellets or cyclopeeze, but he seemed somewhat interested in the frozen mysis I was feeding. I have a 90g tank with a 40g fuge full of large balls of chaeto, so he should have enough pods. I went and bought 2 bottles of Dr G's Live Copepods just to be sure. Put one bottle in the DT and one in the refrigium.

But as soon as I get a chance I will try your advice.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I bought it from LA so I did not get to see if it was eating prepared foods. I haven't seen him go for pellets or cyclopeeze, but he seemed somewhat interested in the frozen mysis I was feeding. I have a 90g tank with a 40g fuge full of large balls of chaeto, so he should have enough pods. I went and bought 2 bottles of Dr G's Live Copepods just to be sure. Put one bottle in the DT and one in the refrigium.

But as soon as I get a chance I will try your advice.

Oh nice, in that large of a system he should be fine regardless of supplemental feedings or not. If he's interested in the mysis he should take to bloodworms rather quickly. The one bummer is, since mine is trained only to come out and eat when the pumps are off for feeding, he doesn't really forage too much anymore, just swims around with the other fish. So now I have pods a-plenty.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
This may be a dumb question, but can mushroom coral (a ricordea to be specific) move itself like anemone can? One of mine recently split off from the main polyp I bought, and a snail knocked it off. It is now under some rock that is completely inaccessible by hand without dismantling the tank (I tried to grab it, couldn't reach it and only managed to piss off my goby). Anyone have any ideas of how to retrieve it, or is my first baby ricordea doomed?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have seen them release and go with the flow, only to settle down later. Speaking about a ricordea specifically. No idea on how to fix your problem. I have not had good luck with them, but I do know they need a lot of light and low flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Murphy Brownback posted:

This may be a dumb question, but can mushroom coral (a ricordea to be specific) move itself like anemone can? One of mine recently split off from the main polyp I bought, and a snail knocked it off. It is now under some rock that is completely inaccessible by hand without dismantling the tank (I tried to grab it, couldn't reach it and only managed to piss off my goby). Anyone have any ideas of how to retrieve it, or is my first baby ricordea doomed?

They can release their foot and float, but they can't walk. I've had the same thing happen to numerous mushrooms and a few rics in the past. I've had a ricordea recover after being in the dark for a few months. It was completely white but I left it on the bottom somewhat shaded and it got its color back after a few more months.

You might want to try a turkey baster and see if you can't move it with a water stream to somewhere where you can reach it. If you succeed, put it in a small container with live rock rubble and put a bridal veil over that on the bottom of your tank. It'll attach to a rock within a week or so.

• Locked thread