Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Maybe it would be easier if you gave us some choices, Howe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

Maybe it would be easier if you gave us some choices, Howe.

Um, pretty much anything can be ordered. If there was anything in particular you guys wanted, make a list and I'll come back with prices.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MLB Properties is back in court with Upper Deck again, suing them for not making their payments on a previous lawsuit settlement in a timely manner. Two years ago MLB Properties sued the company for illegal use of trademarks in two UD products. Apparently the out of court damages were settled for just over $3 million. Until this case today, this had not been previously disclosed.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/03/mlb-properties-sues-upper-deck-for-unpaid-settlement-money/#more-42133

PsychoBilly Caddy
Dec 2, 2005
You might say I picked it up at the factory. It's cheaper that way.
My youth was spent collecting mostly football cards. I did have an aunt that was heavily into baseball collectibles and would give me cards to try and peak my interest in baseball instead of football. It did not work, but I do have an interesting set of cards from it.

A set of 1969 Seattle Pilots cards from Renata Galasso made in 1983. I searched for years trying to find more info about these cards. Finally came across this webpage:

http://1980sportscarddatabase.com/id61.html

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Just let Upper Deck make baseball cards again god drat it.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Chief McHeath posted:

Just let Upper Deck make baseball cards again god drat it.

I'm all for that if they get rid of all current management, rebuild the company from the ground up and issue public apologies for their past behavior that got them in all this legal trouble in the first place.

Otherwise, we'll just get more of the same crap without MLB logos or uniforms. I hate that kind of product. Yes Panini, I'm talking to you.

It's doubtful Upper Deck will ever get an MLB license again, but there you go.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

There needs to be someone other than Topps though.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

I miss the 90s. Fleer, Pinnacle/Score, Donruss/Leaf, Topps/Bowman, Upper Deck. There was so much interesting product being released.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I was heavy into collecting about 4 or 6 years ago. I remember some of the most expensive stuff at the time was I think hobby boxes of SP Authentic? You got like 4 packs of like 5 cards in a box, they had these almost full size jersey/patch cards too. Those were awesome, Upper Deck makes/made SP Authentic right? Am I thinking of the right cards?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

mattfl posted:

I was heavy into collecting about 4 or 6 years ago. I remember some of the most expensive stuff at the time was I think hobby boxes of SP Authentic? You got like 4 packs of like 5 cards in a box, they had these almost full size jersey/patch cards too. Those were awesome, Upper Deck makes/made SP Authentic right? Am I thinking of the right cards?

Yes, Upper Deck makes SP Authentic. Only now they are down to the licenses they have left, the NHL, NCAA football, and NCAA basketball.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Ghumbs posted:

I miss the 90s. Fleer, Pinnacle/Score, Donruss/Leaf, Topps/Bowman, Upper Deck. There was so much interesting product being released.

The fact that so many of these are still available new in box for less than MSRP is reason enough not to go back.

And back to the box break...

Am I right that all that is out this year is Series 1, Tribute and Opening Day? I guess this means Series 1 (probably HTA) as Tribute is too expensive and Opening Day too cheap.

For years previous, I don't think it makes much sense to open up a box of anything really recent unless it is well below its original price. I didn't care much for Heritage last year, but I'd be down for anything before that. National Chicle didn't seem to gain much traction (even with blowfish Jayson Werth's help) but that still leaves Gypsy Queen and Turkey Red. Gypsy Queen was ok, same for Turkey Red. I'd like to avoid anything without MLB logos.

I love Allen and Ginter, but if we do that I'd rather buy Team Not-Baseball than anything. I don't think there is a good way to fit Ginter into a break. After that it's just Chrome and Bowman and some stuff that is too expensive to seriously consider. Bowman is about prospecting so it sucks to open it past its year (so much failure per box) and opening it would mean adding Washington to the group of teams that can't be taken. I have no strong feelings either way about Chrome.

So how about prices for
2012 Series 1 HTA
2011 Gypsy Queen
2010 Heritage
2009 Turkey Red
2008 UD Masterpieces
2007 UD Masterpieces

EDIT: Looks like the new Heritage is out next week. That's probably the best bet if people are willing to wait, though it has only one relic or auto per box. But you might get a chunk of Shea Stadium, so that's pretty neat.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 7, 2012

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Chief McHeath posted:

I totally agree with that. Competition is a good thing, I just don't think we need a flood of product on the market again, heck, Topps alone already produces a flood.

I'd vote for more competition from different companies, but fewer overall products.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Antifreeze Head posted:

So how about prices for
2012 Series 1 HTA
2011 Gypsy Queen
2010 Heritage
2009 Turkey Red
2008 UD Masterpieces
2007 UD Masterpieces

EDIT: Looks like the new Heritage is out next week. That's probably the best bet if people are willing to wait, though it has only one relic or auto per box. But you might get a chunk of Shea Stadium, so that's pretty neat.

I'd do any of these.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Antifreeze Head posted:

So how about prices for

2012 Series 1 HTA - $125
2011 Gypsy Queen - $189
2010 Heritage - $120
2009 Turkey Red - no Turkey Red in 2009
2008 UD Masterpieces - $75
2007 UD Masterpieces - $50

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm down for the 2012 Series 1

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

camoseven posted:

That av is quite a thing

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The Bucs are gonna bunt their way to 20 straight... :smug:

...losing seasons

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

camoseven posted:

I like this idea

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spork Heidelberg posted:

I totally agree with that. Competition is a good thing, I just don't think we need a flood of product on the market again, heck, Topps alone already produces a flood.

I'd vote for more competition from different companies, but fewer overall products.
Well MLB Properties is to blame for choosing Topps to be the sole company authorized to produce fully licensed cards.

Although UD has no one but themselves to blame for their failures. Just a reminder that they bought Fleer in like 2006, made about 2 new Fleer sets, and since then have just sat on the name.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Series 1 works for me, though I wouldn't mind a cheap box getting added, like the 07 Masterpieces.

Is Gypsy Queen seriously $189? It didn't seem that fantastic.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
I'd be interested in a group break if you can ship to New Zealand. I would be keen on the Giants, but I see I'm not the only one.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
I'd be down for a group break, but I just finished building my 2012 Series 1 set. Heritage would be a blast though.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Antifreeze Head posted:

Series 1 works for me, though I wouldn't mind a cheap box getting added, like the 07 Masterpieces.

Is Gypsy Queen seriously $189? It didn't seem that fantastic.

When there is a huge gap in product releases, the last thing goers way up. Gypsy Queen was a mid-tier release that was the new thing on the market for a long time, so it sold out and created huge demand on the secondary market.

The same thing happened at this time two years ago, when 2010 Topps basically sold because Heritage took so long to come out, as well as customers used to new baseball coming out every week. Having one manufacturer with long spans between releases caused older products to shoot up in price.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:

camoseven posted:

Sure, Series 1 would work for me, too. If not, I'll also vote for 2010 Heritage.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Count me in as possibly interested, depending on how we decide to split up the teams. I really only collect the Yankees, so I'd want to trade my other teams for them. I'm not picky when it comes to which set we break, but I'm not a rich man.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am interested in well. I'd like to do Red Sox but am willing to do a team like the nationals as well if it becomes an issue.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
2012 Topps Heritage comes in next week. I'd like to do a multiple box break with you guys on the release date.

How many of you are in, and how much do you want to do?

With a very rough estimate, slots are about $8.50 per box for 2-3 teams. This is anticipating us having 10 people buying in.

Let's do this!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Man up and break cases.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

AsInHowe posted:

2012 Topps Heritage comes in next week. I'd like to do a multiple box break with you guys on the release date.

How many of you are in, and how much do you want to do?

With a very rough estimate, slots are about $8.50 per box for 2-3 teams. This is anticipating us having 10 people buying in.

Let's do this!

I would be down for this. Does that price include shipping? If so I could probably do 3 boxes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

camoseven posted:

I would be down for this. Does that price include shipping? If so I could probably do 3 boxes.

Shipping would be a little more if we get three boxes and you get a lot of cards. It's all weight based, and if you get over 3 ounces, the price goes up.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I could swing 25.50 plus shipping for three boxes too.

Just came back from the card shop with a dozen packs of 2012 Topps. I'll post any hits after I break them.

Edit: Nothing good. Base cards of Mantle, Rivera, Romine, Pineda, Betances, David Robinson, and a Gold Standard DiMaggio to add to my Yankees collection. Of my four Golden Giveaways codes, 2 were CC Sabathia coins.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 9, 2012

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
30 bucks sounds affordable. I am down for Topps Series 1. What's the big deal about heritage cards?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

jetgrindeggy posted:

I could swing 25.50 plus shipping for three boxes too.

Just came back from the card shop with a dozen packs of 2012 Topps. I'll post any hits after I break them.

It would be $25.50 or $26. Shipping one or two more ounces doesn't cost THAT much more.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:
SO in on the Heritage. Price isn't really a concern for me. Let me know the details, and I'll be happy. Would love to get in on the Nationals but if we're doing a lottery that's cool, too.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I'm in.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010
This sounds interesting, I'm in. I could do 3 boxes.

So Howe does the break and records it an puts it on youtube? Is that how it works?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DrGonzo90 posted:

This sounds interesting, I'm in. I could do 3 boxes.

So Howe does the break and records it an puts it on youtube? Is that how it works?

After teams get assigned, all the payment clears, all of that...

I will record myself breaking the boxes, and the video will be posted on YouTube and linked to here. Then, everyone can watch the video and see what they got.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I'm in for whatever

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

I'm in for the break. I need some cards from the 2000's to go with my collection from the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Pulled my first one-of-one today! I'm so excited, I could just..wait, it's...?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread