Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What's the goto class for beating the game on Insanity?

I played Infiltrator twice through in ME2 and I'm currently using it for my hardcore playthrough of ME3 so I'm a bit tired of it. Maybe Vanguard?

The specific part I'm most worried about for insanity is the top of the lift on Rannoch with 3 geth primes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Syrinxx posted:

I played Infiltrator twice through in ME2 and I'm currently using it for my hardcore playthrough of ME3 so I'm a bit tired of it. Maybe Vanguard?

The specific part I'm most worried about for insanity is the top of the lift on Rannoch with 3 geth primes

Any damage class.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CrackDealer posted:

Are people re-playing the game yet?
I played through ME2, then started up immediately after, then once more immediately after that.

I did the same thing last time. This time I think I'm just kinda done with mass effect. barring unforeseen circumstances. Ill have to say, if they wanted to turn me off an amazing series, congratulations. mission complete.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

CrackDealer posted:

Are people re-playing the game yet?
I played through ME2, then started up immediately after, then once more immediately after that.

I don't feel like playing this game again. The squad size is so small, there are so few locations you get to travel to (6 citadel and 5 Normandy decks), there are few important paragon/ renegade choices at the end of missions. I feel like I know everyone, seen as much as there is to see and the combat isn't good enough to justify another playthrough.

I was fully intending on another run because I missed a few things, but meh.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Syrinxx posted:

Don't you get a heavy weapon (whatever the Space-Mini-Gun thing is) for that fight?

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Not only does she fight her way through the combined forces of Cerberus and the Reapers, but she survives an encounter with Kai Leng, saves her sister and kills her father. All with a James Bond-esque one liner. Then, to top it off, she manages to tag Leng with a tracker.

You left the best bit out: The manner in which she killed her father was by smashing him through a window with a biotic blast, which was ridiculously cool. It's only one more example of why I am consistently disappointed that my biotic-God Shepard doesn't get to do anything like that in cutscenes.

I think I'll do a replay as a soldier, because it's clearly the canon Shepard, I'm tired of seeing my Adept Shepard running around with an assault rifle and never using his powers in cutscenes.

quote:

Hell, Tali gets drunk in her honour.

Actually, Tali gets drunk, jealous and ashamed because Miranda had the strength to see her father's flaws and oppose him, whereas Tali's father almost destroyed the Migrant Fleet with his arrogant stupidity and she didn't see it until long after it happened.

emergency.induction.port.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
This thread reads like a CIA press release.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

quote:

I beat insanity without much difficulty as a Sentinel. I used raptor/carnifex for most of the game and pretty much always had Liara in my party (third squad member was interchangeable, usually Garrus). Even on insanity fully upgraded overload one shots shields and the carnifex will two shot unshielded enemies if you can hit their heads.

The part I wiped the most to was the final combat sequence, and only because it was spawning two banshees + 6 marauders at a time (which appears to continue happening until you launch the missile). I wound up just overloading all the shields I could between myself and Garrus and having Liara CC the marauders with singularity once their shields were gone. The banshees I tried to have everyone focus down and just kept moving. Garrus with one of the fully upgraded heavy sniper rifles knocks off about three bars of barrier a shot.

Also if you choose inferno grenades as your extra power and bring either Ash or Vega with you you can pretty much destroy a group of unshielded mobs in 2 power uses.

The specific part you're talking about should be pretty easy because Tali can just AI hack one of them at any given time. I just had her do whichever was closest to me while Garrus and I overloaded and focused one of the others

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

scuz posted:

This thread reads like a CIA press release.

That joke doesn't get any funnier with the millionth repetition.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
Is Kasumi supposed to be in this game? She survived my ME2 save, but I didn't see her once during ME3.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Man, what is with these games and the terrible, terrible openings? Mass Effect 1 worked really well, but ME 2 was basically "One day Porkbun Shepherd was out in space and kablooie! Everyone lived but the world's greatest space marine. Who did it? Who did the thing? The collectors, ok, game start."

And now with ME3 it's. Hi Shepherd. The reapers are probably coming soon, so you better put on your god killing pants and maybe find a new tie. *reaper pokes its head out from around a building* Well poo.

These are times of war and uncertainty. Certainly we could rejoin our mighty heroes when they're doing something, instead of randomly goofing off and getting blindsided.And what the hell? The poo poo I've seen? Really, Anderson? And here I thought poo poo wasn't quite real.

Westen
Nov 6, 2011

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

I was fully intending on another run because I missed a few things, but meh.

Yeah just...drat. I loved several of the moments in the game. The Mars mission, Grunt, Wrex, the shooting contest with Garrus, the extra dialogue during the Rannoch stuff if you romanced Tali and seeing her drunk were all awesome, but the end just sort of sours it all.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captain Spoon posted:

Is Kasumi supposed to be in this game? She survived my ME2 save, but I didn't see her once during ME3.

Yes she is. Go talk to the salarian spectre after you recruit Garrus.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Is Horizon the only time Kaidan or Ashley show up in ME2? I'm thinking of making it so Kaidan was the one I saved in ME3.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Captain Spoon posted:

Yes. She shows up during a Citadel Mission where you're investigating the Hanar diplomats.

After I picked up Garrus and did a few side missions, there was a Salarian Spectre waiting outside the Spectre office in the Citadel Embassies. Try there.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is Horizon the only time Kaidan or Ashley show up in ME2? I'm thinking of making it so Kaidan was the one I saved in ME3.

Yes, they just get a cameo in ME2.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

FisheyStix posted:

Man, what is with these games and the terrible, terrible openings? Mass Effect 1 worked really well, but ME 2 was basically "One day Porkbun Shepherd was out in space and kablooie! Everyone lived but the world's greatest space marine. Who did it? Who did the thing? The collectors, ok, game start."
Really? I thought the presentation of ME2's opening was awesome. You throw some bros into the escape pods, walk through a vacuum to save your crippled flight officer, everything blows up while you float away and wait to die from your suit's oxygen leak, and then it's 6 million dollar man time. I loved it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's kind of funny that so many people are disappointed at the Reapers claiming their motivations are unknowable then misunderstand those motivations. According to some far-sighted old species, technological process ultimately and unavoidably culminates in synthetic life, which ultimately and unavoidably culminates in synthetic life surpassing and turning against organic life. Sooner or later, this synthetic life will exterminate organic life, wiping it off the face of the galaxy (this cycle perhaps repeating itself in other galaxies).

In order to preserve organic life as a whole, that is, the existence of organic life, it is therefore necessary to cull any advanced species that is at risk of creating synthetic life. That way, they are stopped before they can endanger all organic life in the galaxy. The Reapers are a tool by which life itself can be preserved from the cycle of its destruction, and they even preserve a few of the most worthy of these past species.

It's not an unreasonable solution. Imagine if some singularly powerful force reasoned that sooner or later mankind is going to destroy all life on earth with nuclear weapons (given a long enough time-scale), so the only solution is to destroy civilizations that advance that far technologically, forcing them to regress to a primitive state?

What changes in the endings is that you prove that just as the Reapers saw it was inevitable that organic life would create the synthetics that would destroy them, Shepard proves that it is inevitable that some organic life will arise which can destroy the Reapers. This means their particular solution to the problem of synthetic life exterminating all organic life is insufficient.

The endings themselves are disasters and the focus on these themes is equally strange considering how it wasn't the driving purpose of the Mass Effect franchise to this point, but at least in terms of clear motivations they make sense. They're probably even right that organic races couldn't understand, considering how often their motivations are misunderstood not to mention how many people would dismiss it all as sci-fi claptrap rather than a real and present danger to organic life.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Syrinxx posted:

Really? I thought the presentation of ME2's opening was awesome. You throw some bros into the escape pods, walk through a vacuum to save your crippled flight officer, everything blows up while you float away and wait to die from your suit's oxygen leak, and then it's 6 million dollar man time. I loved it.

Mass Effect 2: The 2 billion credits man.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I'll admit I got a chuckle out of taunting Ashley when she was passed out and hungover. That and the bottle shooting with Garrus were a couple of things BioWare did well.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Dolash posted:

:words:

Ending:
The problem is that the game offers no evidence of any fundamental incompatibility between organic and synthetic life. It's possible to bring EDI to true humanity and to resolve the conflict between Geth and Quarians. In fact, every time a synthetic life form in Mass Effect has attacked an organic, it's been in self-defense. There's no buildup to this 'inevitability'; it seems completely evitable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dolash posted:

It's kind of funny that so many people are disappointed at the Reapers claiming their motivations are unknowable then misunderstand those motivations. According to some far-sighted old species, technological process ultimately and unavoidably culminates in synthetic life, which ultimately and unavoidably culminates in synthetic life surpassing and turning against organic life. Sooner or later, this synthetic life will exterminate organic life, wiping it off the face of the galaxy (this cycle perhaps repeating itself in other galaxies).

In order to preserve organic life as a whole, that is, the existence of organic life, it is therefore necessary to cull any advanced species that is at risk of creating synthetic life. That way, they are stopped before they can endanger all organic life in the galaxy. The Reapers are a tool by which life itself can be preserved from the cycle of its destruction, and they even preserve a few of the most worthy of these past species.

It's not an unreasonable solution. Imagine if some singularly powerful force reasoned that sooner or later mankind is going to destroy all life on earth with nuclear weapons (given a long enough time-scale), so the only solution is to destroy civilizations that advance that far technologically, forcing them to regress to a primitive state?

What changes in the endings is that you prove that just as the Reapers saw it was inevitable that organic life would create the synthetics that would destroy them, Shepard proves that it is inevitable that some organic life will arise which can destroy the Reapers. This means their particular solution to the problem of synthetic life exterminating all organic life is insufficient.

The endings themselves are disasters and the focus on these themes is equally strange considering how it wasn't the driving purpose of the Mass Effect franchise to this point, but at least in terms of clear motivations they make sense. They're probably even right that organic races couldn't understand, considering how often their motivations are misunderstood not to mention how many people would dismiss it all as sci-fi claptrap rather than a real and present danger to organic life.

Uh, we understand the motivations correctly. The point is that they're stupid and make no sense within the context of the game.

It relies on the "all synthetics are evil" stuff which, even not making sense on its own, is demonstrably false within the context of the game itself with the Geth and EDI. Both times, Shepard is able to negotiate and talk with purely synthetic beings and bring about unity and peace.

Likewise, an organic version of it is introduced with the Rachni and Krogans and both time the end result is "Shepard can prove that peace is possible."

Claiming it is inevitable doesn't work when your own game offers proof otherwise and the basic themes of the game are "peace and unity is possible."

Even if you ignored all of that, and you can't, it doesn't make sense for it to be "synthetic vs organic." Again, we have two organic species who could have wiped out all life in the galaxy due to their immense power and speed of breeding. (Rachni and Krogans.) The Reapers being hyper-focused on robots doesn't make sense at all within anything we're shown. At no point is "synthetics will wipe out all life" even remotely brought to the table.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 9, 2012

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

Wingless posted:

Actually, Tali gets drunk, jealous and ashamed because Miranda had the strength to see her father's flaws and oppose him, whereas Tali's father almost destroyed the Migrant Fleet with his arrogant stupidity and she didn't see it until long after it happened.

That bit was one of my favorites from the game. There are really some excellent moments that flesh out all of the squadmates from previous games, and it makes me wonder what they were thinking with the endings after paying all that attention to the characters that make up the core of the story.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

I guess it just felt like lazy writing. Instead of having this badass who saved the citadel and the council/fleet.out doing something to learn more about the reapers, suddenly they're making him take chump missions and following orders offscreen in an attempt to wedge him into a position where he could feasibly die. I'd have liked to see the same scene, only having Shepherd lead a charge against a geth fleet, getting surprised by sudden and superior changes to weaponry and sensor tech that the geth shouldn't have. That way, you get all the drama and action of the original scene without the lameness of just getting surprised. That way you awaken from a blaze of glory instead of a sucker punch, and are all the more a hero for it.

Plus, people should be WAY more surprised that you aren't dead. Seriously. First guy since Jesus, and all anyone can say is "Oh hey Shepherd. Wassup? Oh me, just bein' archangel, its no big~"

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Syrinxx posted:

Vanguard was a smooth playthrough on insanity for me. Make sure to grab fortification. That 35% damage reduction makes Insanity feel like Normal. Most squad members work pretty good with Vanguard. I did most of my run with Javik and EDI. EDI is great for stripping defenses and Javik does CC + his dark channel is amazing for exploding crowds (also Lift Grenade does a ton of damage). Garrus is good at strip/CC as well. Tali's drone does a good bit of damage and takes aggro (which can really save you at times). Liara can spam biotics for cc, stripping, or heavy damage. Vega/Ashley are the only two squadmates that I didn't find so useful. They do a lot of damage, have some cc, and grenades aren't that bad. However, Vanguard does so much damage that it really works best with one debuffing squadmate and one biotic squadmate to combo with. Insanity gives you lots and lots of medi-gel so don't be afraid to constantly burn it.

For Cerberus groups: Assault Troopers/Centurions are your biggest threat if left alive. On Insanity, they throw grenades constantly and can kill you in a few seconds. Pick all of them off first. Engineers are a joke with a fully upgraded nova. Charge + Nova will kill their turret. Phantoms are a breeze if you charge them before they can get to you. An Atlas isn't bad either. Charge, Nova, back away, repeat. Make sure to not combo them too fast or one of your attacks won't stagger them. If they aren't staggered, they might use the instant kill on you. Nemeses aren't bad, just don't let them setup and snipe you.

Geth Groups: The easiest groups by far. Regular Geths and Rockets die pretty quick. Charge/Nova for regulars, Charge/Melee/Nova for Rockets and Pyros. Primes are exactly like Atlas's. Your biggest threat from the Geth is leaving a Rocket trooper or Rocket drone alive. They can stagger you and then you are dead. Hunters are you next problem. If they get a jump on you, you will get staggered and killed.

Reapers: Probably the most dangerous of the enemy types. This is solely because of Ravagers. Double sniping, machine-gun, rockets is stupid. Kill ravagers first. Just combo the gently caress out of them. Your nova should kill every single swarmer that pops out of them. You will probably get poisoned at some point. Try and just keep your shields up with charge through the poison. It hurts a lot in Insanity. After they are dead, just ping-pong around and kill all of the cannibals and marauders. Marauders can do a lot of damage with their ranged attacks if you let them. Brutes are easy to combo, just treat them like mobile Atlases. Combo, back out, Combo. Banshees are kind of a bitch but you can just play keep away with them. The really cheap thing about Banshees is that their instant kill has 0 wind-up. If they aren't currently in an attack animation, they can do the melee instant kill. Because of this, you can't combo them unless they are casting. Wait for them to screech or do their ranged attack, then charge in on them.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

FisheyStix posted:

I guess it just felt like lazy writing. Instead of having this badass who saved the citadel and the council/fleet.out doing something to learn more about the reapers, suddenly they're making him take chump missions and following orders offscreen in an attempt to wedge him into a position where he could feasibly die. I'd have liked to see the same scene, only having Shepherd lead a charge against a geth fleet, getting surprised by sudden and superior changes to weaponry and sensor tech that the geth shouldn't have. That way, you get all the drama and action of the original scene without the lameness of just getting surprised. That way you awaken from a blaze of glory instead of a sucker punch, and are all the more a hero for it.

Plus, people should be WAY more surprised that you aren't dead. Seriously. First guy since Jesus, and all anyone can say is "Oh hey Shepherd. Wassup? Oh me, just bein' archangel, its no big~"

I'm glad you're not in Bioware's writing team.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Re: Ending.

The Reapers come along, killing civilizations before they can create synthetic life, that'd turn against said civilization. With the Reapers being synthetic, I'm sure there's a shitload of irony to be found somewhere.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

All I wanted to do was to get my job done with the Reapers, and go retire peacefully somewhere with my romantic interest. That's all I wanted :smith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, we understand the motivations correctly. The point is that they're stupid and make no sense within the context of the game.

It relies on the "all synthetics are evil" stuff which, even not making sense on its own, is demonstrably false within the context of the game itself with the Geth and EDI.

No it doesn't, that's what I mean by misunderstand. It doesn't rely on synthetics being evil any more than nuclear annihilation relies on humans being evil. Sooner or later, the fact that we have the capacity to destroy life on the planet virtually guarantees we will - all probabilities approach one on a long enough time scale. Even if we avoided MAD in the cold war, even if we destroy our bombs and forget nuclear power in the future, sooner or later it will be discovered, so sooner or later it'll happen.

Likewise, sooner or later someone's going to make a synthetic race that'll wipe out organics. Maybe it'll start like the Geth, but with an AI race that becomes aggressive and vicious. Maybe everyone'll cyborg up until the AI implants slowly supplant the organic processes, eventually cutting them out entirely. Given a long enough time-scale, it's an inevitable consequence because it can happen and basically only has to happen once to be irreversible.

If you were given incredible power and asked to solve the problem of humans and nuclear annihilation, how would you do it? Rule humanity directly? That might work, but humanity's resentfulness will probably sooner or later lead to your overthrow. Educate humanity and bring peace? That's great and all, but with enough time you'll get a perfect storm of ignorance that'll undo all your work. Maintain an unprecedented military edge on humanity and use it to wipe out anyone with nuclear capacity in an untraceable manner? Now that sounds like it just might work.

Edit: since you added more, proving peace can exist between one instance of organics and synthetics proves nothing. It's like saying that because the USSR and America didn't blow each other up, no possible future nuclear standoff will ever destroy the earth. What about in a thousand years, when humanity's nations have totally changed and the world is a different place? What will peace now matter to the nuclear war strategists then?

The difference between this happening with synthetics as opposed to organics is that organic life is made for a constant cycle of subjugation and control. Organic life waxes and wanes, it destroys each other and itself. It is an order of life, and time has proven that the strongest races sooner or later fall into decay. Machines don't follow this sort of circle of life approach. A machine order of life can replace organics permanently, scouring them from the galaxy and preventing their return.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 9, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nephilm posted:

To be fair I'd also be glad if Bioware's writing team wasn't in Bioware's writing team.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Nephilm posted:

Right back at ya. :colbert:

To get back to the topic of ME3, I started out with quite a few free points, so I threw them all into maxing out Fitness. Was that wise? Is survivability a big deal?

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
So I spent like the fist 15 minutes of game time just staring at the ceiling lamps. The lighting and reflective surfaces in this game are absolutely breathtaking! Only thing that could make the PC experience better would be a lack of Origin.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Wingless posted:

"Tali, that's a STRAW!"

Also, what are the variations in dialogue in that for a different romance, or female Shepard? I had the Romanced dialogue, where Tali goes on about how her father would hate Shepard because he's not Quarian, and she's somewhat giddy over that fact.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

FisheyStix posted:

Right back at ya. :colbert:

To get back to the topic of ME3, I started out with quite a few free points, so I threw them all into maxing out Fitness. Was that wise? Is survivability a big deal?

You'll have plenty of points to get the powers you want. There will be one or two you can't max out completely, but Fitness is still a good choice.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Magil of Shadow posted:

"Tali, that's a STRAW!"

Also, what are the variations in dialogue in that for a different romance, or female Shepard? I had the Romanced dialogue, where Tali goes on about how her father would hate Shepard because he's not Quarian, and she's somewhat giddy over that fact.

She just leaves that part out. She goes on about Miranda and being drunk and that's it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you know, in retrospect I should have seen this coming when the main writer jumped ship to work on TOR. I feel stupid.

I have gone from a complete undying fan, to literally feeling ashamed of ever being a fan. Its amazing what a bad 10 minutes can do looking at it clinically.

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
I think the ending makes sense and satisfactory if regardless of what happens now synthetics and organics will end in genocide regardless how the current situation is of the contrary.

What I like to believe in the beginning some organics made synthetics and was wiped out and imagine the last organics decided to create the reapers or a spliter group synthetics became the reapers to protect the universe. The reapers then observed the universe for countless cycles only to see the synthetics rebel over and over again and their last solution was to wipe everything out to protect the young organic life each cycle. I think it has to be true the reapers have observed for so long, scenarios such as geth and quarians working together in harmony will still end in conflict. Conflict between quarian and geth could also been the trigger for reaper return.

Regardless I think if the end VI communicated the fact they observed the universe for so long and every time synthetics tried to wipe out the organics in the end and the reaper has seen every scenario play out then ending would be a lot more satisfactory. It could also be said it's our self importance as organic life to think we are somehow special and better than previous cycle of intelligence life that we think we can avoid conflicts between synthetic and organic.

varlet
Feb 10, 2010

I would use every crayon in my box
I really wish that ending just never happened. After getting all the different species fighting together I thought it was going to be more epic. One thing that really got me was the turians holding a big memorial for Kal'Reegar and his squad who died for them. Seeing all the different ships relay over to save Earth was awesome too and then... nothing. What happened to all my old squaddies who said they would help out? What about Kirrahe, and Wrex? I don't think a game has disappointed me this much ever.

Although when you're talking to that dying Destroyer Reaper and he says that he knows you because "Harbinger talks about you," I was pretty amused. I just imagine throughout ME2, whenever you finish with a Harbinger fight he would just turn to the other Reapers and complain for hours about how much Shepard sucks. And while I thought it was pretty cheap that he only shows up for like, one minute in ME3, he made it his goal to stop Shepard personally because he knows how much of a pain/badass he is.

Also I don't understand how anyone could dislike Javik, he rocks so hard. His dialogue about other species "A shame we didn't teach them to speak better" is worth the extra money for him alone.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Dolash posted:

No it doesn't, that's what I mean by misunderstand. It doesn't rely on synthetics being evil any more than nuclear annihilation relies on humans being evil. Sooner or later, the fact that we have the capacity to destroy life on the planet virtually guarantees we will - all probabilities approach one on a long enough time scale. Even if we avoided MAD in the cold war, even if we destroy our bombs and forget nuclear power in the future, sooner or later it will be discovered, so sooner or later it'll happen.

Likewise, sooner or later someone's going to make a synthetic race that'll wipe out organics. Maybe it'll start like the Geth, but with an AI race that becomes aggressive and vicious. Maybe everyone'll cyborg up until the AI implants slowly supplant the organic processes, eventually cutting them out entirely. Given a long enough time-scale, it's an inevitable consequence because it can happen and basically only has to happen once to be irreversible.

If you were given incredible power and asked to solve the problem of humans and nuclear annihilation, how would you do it? Rule humanity directly? That might work, but humanity's resentfulness will probably sooner or later lead to your overthrow. Educate humanity and bring peace? That's great and all, but with enough time you'll get a perfect storm of ignorance that'll undo all your work. Maintain an unprecedented military edge on humanity and use it to wipe out anyone with nuclear capacity in an untraceable manner? Now that sounds like it just might work.

Stop trying to sound significant by quoting fight club. On an infinite time scale, the chance that a given event with some chance of happening approaches certainty. However, in finite time scales extremely improbable events are still just that: extremely improbable. Not to mention the fact that you're trying to assign a probability to something that is inherently stochastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What happens if you don't do the missions where you discover the Rachni/the Ardat-Yakshi monastery? Once I did the first, Ravagers started spawning during Reaper fights. If I hadn't, would they be there? Or would there be a "hey, what are those things? Rachni!" dialogue the first time I encountered them? Same with the Banshees?

edit: To the quote above, on an infinite time scale, its also guaranteed that organic life will form a perfect peace with synthetics, so I'm not sure what that proves.

• Locked thread