Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

DerDestroyer posted:

It would be nice if the OP had a list of things you should do (i.e. destroying the heretics) in all 3 games to get the highest possible asset score.

This is an excellent idea. I'll keep an eye out for one and add it ASAP. Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
So on Tuchanka did anyone keep quiet about the sabotage? How does that shake out?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

My take on the ending: It's obvious that Shepard is actually at a bar somewhere, celebrating the victory over the Reapers with all his buddies. The last thing he remembers is sitting down with Anderson, and everything that happens in the ending after that is Shepard, drunk off his rear end after days of binging on turian liquor which induces hallucinations on humans, telling how he thinks it all went down. (:shepface: "So then there was, like, this kid and he was a hologram or something and I pressed a button and I died and then everyone was half-robot or something and Normandy crashed on a planet somewhere and Joker had glowing eyes and..." "Hey Shepard, you're not dead and we're not half-robot, and Joker is fine. Look, he's right there. Jesus, how much did you drink?"

The ending DLC has him come into his senses and attempt to remember what actually happened, which comprises the gameplay portion.

edit: better put the whole thing in spoilers just in case, I guess

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Thought experiment:

The Galactic Readiness / Multiplayer mechanic would have been a lot more favorably seen if the GR percentage boosted your Asset score, rather than fractioned it.

That would make the most sense.

But it wouldn't force people who bought the game used to fork over $10 to play online, which is what they were actually going for.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

My take on the ending: It's obvious that Shepard is actually at a bar somewhere, celebrating the victory over the Reapers with all his buddies. The last thing he remembers is sitting down with Anderson, and everything that happens in the ending after that is Shepard, drunk off his rear end after days of binging on turian liquor which induces hallucinations on humans, telling how he thinks it all went down. (:shepface: "So then there was, like, this kid and he was a hologram or something and I pressed a button and I died and then everyone was half-robot or something and Normandy crashed on a planet somewhere and Joker had glowing eyes and..." "Hey Shepard, you're not dead and we're not half-robot, and Joker is fine. Look, he's right there. Jesus, how much did you drink?"

The ending DLC has him come into his senses and attempt to remember what actually happened, which comprises the gameplay portion.

edit: better put the whole thing in spoilers just in case, I guess

I would pay money for this.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

nuncle jimbo posted:

So on Tuchanka did anyone keep quiet about the sabotage? How does that shake out?

Some hosed up poo poo :(

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So I somehow missed the academy mission and it's been referenced at least twice so far I'm feeling like I might have missed something important.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So I somehow missed the academy mission and it's been referenced at least twice so far I'm feeling like I might have missed something important.

Yes you did. I missed it (and some other sidequests) at first too, and I reloaded to before Tuchanka and redid a ton of stuff. Worth it to go back if you have a save. :)

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Thought experiment:

The Galactic Readiness / Multiplayer mechanic would have been a lot more favorably seen if the GR percentage boosted your Asset score, rather than fractioned it.

I think you're right about this. As it is it feels like the singleplayer is being punished instead of multiplayer giving you a reward. It's pretty insignificant though because other than the shepard breathing at the end of the destroy ending scene you can very easily get the "best" ending selection with just singleplayer.

About the ending, I'm sure it's been said, but I just realized how amazingly similar it is to the ending of Matrix Reloaded. Protagonist gets to the end, talks to the AI that's in charge of the whole shebang, finds out that the whole situation is the robot's "solution" to a problem with organic life, and that it was planned for the protagonist to get to where they are. Then they're offered a preplanned choice on how to deal with the cycle. Of course this is all done sharing the overall theme of humanity struggling against the vastly superior synthetics who are cyclically harvesting them. I have to say, as much as I disliked Matrix Reloaded and thought ME3 was amazing, I think the matrix pulled off the ending far better than ME3 did, because at least it felt thematically appropriate.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

Wow, gently caress this.

E: Not in a "gently caress this, it's horribly done" way but a "what kind of sick gently caress would do THAT?" way.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

Jesus, who would do that?

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Oh wow. This is the most powerful scene I've seen from this game.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

Longshot007 posted:

I would pay money for this.

Me as well, it could be like that "A Night to Remember" quest in Skyrim where you have to travel all around the galaxy finding clues as to just how much poo poo you caused while utterly drunk.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Schlegel Mach posted:

Oh wow. This is the most powerful scene I've seen from this game.

I didn't want to watch the whole thing. What is it that Mordin says in that which makes the scene so powerful?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Count Choculitis posted:

Yes you did. I missed it (and some other sidequests) at first too, and I reloaded to before Tuchanka and redid a ton of stuff. Worth it to go back if you have a save. :)

Hmm maybe not that was about 20 hours ago I'll probably just do it next time.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 10, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Lloyd Boner posted:

That is some brutal poo poo. I'm playing a renegade but I'm really glad I didn't go that route. Wow.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DerDestroyer posted:

I didn't want to watch the whole thing. What is it that Mordin says in that which makes the scene so powerful?

As he's crawling to the console, shot in the back by Shepard, "No, not yet...not ready..." He reaches towards the console from a POV shot, and looks to be just out of reach, and the camera changes as his hand falls as he dies, showing he still had a good 3 feet to go before reaching it.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Hmm maybe not that was about 20 hours ago I'll probably just do it next time. I'm thinking I missed a party member correct?

Yeah you missed seeing Jack, who is now a teacher at the academy and turned out really, really awesome. It's a great sidequest, definitely check it out next playthrough! :)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Count Choculitis posted:

Yeah you missed seeing Jack, who is now a teacher at the academy and turned out really, really awesome. It's a great sidequest, definitely check it out next playthrough! :)

I was already super mad that Jack isn't in your party, and how loving awesome she is in this section, and the later section where you meet up just to shoot the poo poo with her at the bar, made me even MORE mad about it. I miss Jack :(

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I was already super mad that Jack isn't in your party, and how loving awesome she is in this section, and the later section where you meet up just to shoot the poo poo with her at the bar, made me even MORE mad about it. I miss Jack :(

I miss her too. :( I really loved what they did with her in this game. She had some great lines - "Hey Garrus. Face still looks like poo poo." and making fun of Shep's dancing were awesome, and it was really good to see her settled down ish and kind of happy. :3:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Count Choculitis posted:

I miss her too. :( I really loved what they did with her in this game. She had some great lines - "Hey Garrus. Face still looks like poo poo." and making fun of Shep's dancing were awesome, and it was really good to see her settled down ish and kind of happy. :3:

I would buy the poo poo out of a Jack-centric spin off game where it's her leading her students against some crazy poo poo.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

etalian posted:

And she's based on the IGN journo-whore Jessica Chobot, who got hired mainly for performing fellatio on a PSP.

:goonsay:

Oh wow, I don't think I've ever had the chance to do this. Someone's always beaten me to the punch.

quote:

I MADE A MISTAKE!!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Count Choculitis posted:

It was a really cool to see her grow from her "Don't trust anyone" mentality to her "People trust me, I can't let them down" mentality. She's a big sis to those students. Rodriguez even picked up on "I will destroy you!" :3: I also dig her new look.

Speaking of which, just got a relevant e-mail:
Aresh, the guy from Jack's loyalty mission, sacrificed himself to save an evacuation shuttle. Went down like a champ, though. Took several dozen Reapers with him. :smith:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Also, this is the aftermath. Good job all around. Monster.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

PunkBoy posted:

Speaking of which, just got a relevant e-mail:
Aresh, the guy from Jack's loyalty mission, sacrificed himself to save an evacuation shuttle. Went down like a champ, though. Took several dozen Reapers with him. :smith:

Thanks, I had no idea who that was and I was too lazy to look it up. For the paragons and Mordin. I like it when you get an email from Maelon and he's taking up Mordin's footsteps as a doctor in Omega. Too bad he didnt hear about Mordin.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Oh god this gets worse.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

DerDestroyer posted:

Mordin attempting to redeem himself and failing struck me in a way that no other scene in ME3 did. It wasn't necessarily what was said, just the way the entire scene played out. It felt less forced than other emotional scenes.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Ahahahaha. And we used to complain about renegade options not meaning squat. :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zomodok posted:

Oh god this gets worse.

Attention anyone, if you allowed these scenes to take place then you are the worst person. Every single person is better than you. Some species of lizard are also better.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

All the subtle references to British Columbia in this game are tripping me out. Like Kaiden offering property on the Sunshine Coast in a poker game and James going "Heh, no thanks."

Like anyone outside BC knows where the Sunshine Coast is, let alone some space marine.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Attention anyone, if you allowed these scenes to take place then you are the worst person. Every single person is better than you. Some species of lizard are also better.

There was a reason I avoided renegade options and this is why.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Oh god :ohdear: this gets worse?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
:stare: Welp, and we thought it was bad enough to send the wrong person inside the vents.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

BrokenKnees posted:

Question about scanning, is there any math behind how fast Reapers sense you? I understand if you're in a Reaper controlled system that they'd find you faster but I've had instances where they find me after a single scan.

Just fyi to anyone who doesn't realize: you can just scan like loving mad and fly around with impunity for a good 5-10 seconds after the reapers enter the zone. After that, all you have to do is fly to the edge or go to a mass relay to "reset" the reapers. You can easily enter the area and 100% the assets (the reapers freeze when you scan a planet or get fuel) by just scanning wildly everywhere and leaving before the reapers grab you, repeat.

Screw the "wait a mission and come back" bullshit, you can 100% everywhere in 30 minutes and it's way more fun.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

leidend posted:

All the subtle references to British Columbia in this game are tripping me out. Like Kaiden offering property on the Sunshine Coast in a poker game and James going "Heh, no thanks."

Like anyone outside BC knows where the Sunshine Coast is, let alone some space marine.

Wait, so Kaiden has to be alive for someone to use the poker table?

bradsh
Sep 17, 2007
titles are overrated

Dolash posted:

Sooner or later, this synthetic life will exterminate organic life, wiping it off the face of the galaxy

This is silly though. Organic life is naturally emergent. It is a natural end point in the universe. It springs up from nothingness. Therefore it cannot be exterminated permanently. Where there is matter, entropy, and supernovae; life.

But we're talking about a game that makes bizarre distinctions between synthetic and biological life, as if one is somehow distinct from the other and a magical space ray could determine which is which and only destroy one. Silly, silly poo poo. Almost on the verge of terrible writing. Someone with an understanding of biology would never make such a bizarre distinction. I've always been thankful that Battlestar Galactica thoroughly explored this facet of reality: synthetic and biological can become indeterminable. Even though BSG had nearly as bad an ending as this one, it was much more.... informed.

This makes the green space ray "merge" ending where people end up with wires and poo poo in their body even more infuriatingly stupid. What the gently caress are wires going to do? Nerves are self-maintaining/somewhat regenerating chemical wires. It's just bad scifi with a silly premise and a poor understanding of science.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Holy Calamity! posted:

Just fyi to anyone who doesn't realize: you can just scan like loving mad and fly around win impunity for a good 5-10 seconds after the reapers enter the zone. After that, all you have to do is fly to the edge or go to a mass relay to "reset" the reapers. You can easily enter the area and 100% the assets (the reapers freeze when you scan a planet or get fuel) by just scanning wildly everywhere and leaving before the reapers grab you, repeat.

Screw the "wait a mission and come back" bullshit, you can 100% everywhere in 30 minutes and it's way more fun.

Yeah, was there any point to the Reaper mechanic? Literally the only time they ever caught me was when I intentionally sat still and let them do it. It feels like the most pointless thing ever.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, seriously, this is worse than leaving David in Overlord. This is worse than choosing (Quarian and ending spoilers)the Geth on Rannoch then choosing the Destroy ending. Those two scenes are pretty much the worst things you can do in a video game. I don't think I would choose to do those in a FailShep run, because holy poo poo, that was awful.

quote:

There was a reason I avoided renegade options and this is why.

To be fair, most Renegade options are more coldly pragmatic and less gigantic rear end in a top hat in ME3. And that one gets pretty clearly signposted as "YOU ARE LITERALLY SPACE HITLER IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THIS".

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Even if I ever do a gently caress up Shepard run, I won't ever have this scene or the other one play. Those are just wrong. Forced to kill two of the most likeable cast members is just awful..

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, was there any point to the Reaper mechanic? Literally the only time they ever caught me was when I intentionally sat still and let them do it. It feels like the most pointless thing ever.

I know, and you don't even get a cool cutscene or anything :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
With regard to mission timeouts and such, only Priority missions close off sidequests, right? I'm not going to get shunted from Grissom Academy because I was gettin' loud on the Citadel with sidequests, for example?

Also, early game spoilers (post-Garrus return to hub): I like that you can pull an ME1 and tell both Miranda and Ashley that you're all about them. No idea what the consequences are for this - Miranda's awkward weepy breakdown if you reject her is really uncomfortable and she doesn't mention her sister - does that close off a sidequest?

• Locked thread