Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

CommanderCoffee posted:

Tell him to upload. About halfway through, you should get a second chat wheel with a "Side with Tali/Legion" on the right and a Paragon/Renegade response on the right which has the Quarian fleet not try to kill the Geth as soon as they are sentient.
Not getting this choice. gently caress it, Gonna stop the upload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008

ilifin posted:

Not enough points from ME2 playthru

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Category Fun! posted:

I just realised what was missing from this. Where is the paragon/renegade dialogue? Do P/R points actually do anything anymore? Dialogue choices hardly ever come up and when they do there are only two choices. What gives?

I've seen quite a few but I missed the choice that enables the "make TIM pull a Saren" option in the very first mission.

Regarding TIM: I'm a bit confused. So he was Paragon after all? The "Control" option implies him to be. Weird.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Just received the Dreadnought mission. Is it the same as the Citadel mission where you'll get locked out of side stuff if you do it right away? Or can I do that first and still have everything be active still?

There is one more mission that locks you out of all sidequests once you start it. The mission you named is not that mission, and nothing else between your current position in the story and that mission causes sidequests to time out, to my knowledge.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Couple questions to you guys:

I only have 4 squadmates. The last big thing I did was on Citadel - Stopping Cerberus

I romanced Tali in ME2 because I'm a nerd. When the hell do I run into her?

When do I get more squadmates, or is that basically all there is? Or is that point in the story relatively early?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

User0015 posted:

Couple questions to you guys:

I only have 4 squadmates. The last big thing I did was on Citadel - Stopping Cerberus

I romanced Tali in ME2 because I'm a nerd. When the hell do I run into her?

When do I get more squadmates, or is that basically all there is? Or is that point in the story relatively early?

You will meet Tali soon, and she will join your party at that time. It is possible for her to leave the party at a certain point if you gently caress something up. If you purchased the From Ashes DLC pack, that provides a character. Finally, Kaidan or Ashley can optionally join your party after your current mission, depending on various circumstances including whether or not you ask them to. The final number of possible party members at present is 7: James, Liara, Garrus, EDI, Kaidan or Ashley, Javik, and Tali.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

KaneTW posted:

Regarding TIM: I'm a bit confused. So he was Paragon after all? The "Control" option implies him to be. Weird.

I wouldn't say he was Paragon, but he was correct that it is possible to control the Reapers. The problem with him was that he was indoctrinated (the citadel kid confirms this) and he wouldn't have been able to do it.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
Could someone let me know with as little spoilers as possible when the point of no return is? Like how you could tell someone that in ME2 the acronym 'IFF' was the end-game.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

And for everyone who missed a mission but kept going: if you didn't save Grissom Academy, on the last Cerberus mission you'll fight a Phantom that's named Jack.

I completely missed this, somehow. I guess I was too busy being a blue pinball of death to look at the enemies' names.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

TJO posted:

Could someone let me know with as little spoilers as possible when the point of no return is? Like how you could tell someone that in ME2 the acronym 'IFF' was the end-game.

When in holocall Hackett says something like that "for all intents and purposes this is the first step in taking Earth back" Edit: It's actually pretty obvious when you get to that point. You also get to choose between waiting and finishing your sidequests or launching the attack right away.

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 10, 2012

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

ilifin posted:

Did you rescue the Quarian admiral beforehand? The one that was pro peace. He is essential.

I've been meaning to ask. What happens to Morinth in ME3 if you killed Samara in ME2?

LazyDivey fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 10, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

TJO posted:

When you try to activate it, you'll be given a choice of whether or not you want to start now or wait and prepare. Once you start this mission, all sidequests are closed.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
http://www.gamefly.com/news/article/209920/mass-effect-designer-defends-day-one-dlc-says-game-developers/

Gamefly posted:

When BioWare revealed day-one single player DLC for Mass Effect 3, players were up-in-arms about how content had been cut for the sole purpose of making more money. But is that really true? Christina Norman, former designer and programmer of the Mass Effect franchise (currently at Riot Games), presented a one minute rant at Game Developers Conference, asking consumers to simply "judge our games based on what they are."

"There's no point in releasing DLC a year after your game has come out when most people have already sold your game back to GameStop three times," she told the audience. "That means getting it out early; that means even day-one DLC. That is a terrible thing to some players. Players rant--they know nothing about this DLC that's coming out except its name. But then it's 'oh this game must be incomplete, the game must be ruined.' Game developers are not evil. (Some are evil.) But most are not evil."

"We just want to release awesome stuff. Players please, give us a chance. Judge our games based on what they are. Judge the DLC based on what it is. Stop thinking you're a producer and telling us when and where we should be building our content."

Perhaps it's a bad case of confirmation bias but I cannot, in all good faith, buy this as a genuine defense. Instead of the context being "we've cut content from the game to make more money", it's become "we've cut content from the game to make money and we're using pre-owned/trade-in deals as a scapegoat, don't blame us". Fill me in here - is it really impossible to imagine that a development studio could release a game and continue to develop fresh DLC for the game months/years after the fact?

Completely remove this debate from the general vitriol aimed at BioWare (Dragon Age 2, etc etc) and take it on its own terms - if "most people have already sold your game back to GameStop", is that an indicator of the quality of the customer or the quality of your game? Is it reasonable to respond to a strawman (all DLC is unfinished content) with a strawman (pre-orders) and to ignore the context of the complaints (those cases where DLC does represent unfinished content)?

EDIT:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/10/the-problem-with-biowares-mass-effect-3-day-one-dlc-from-ashes/

Eric Kain posted:

I think an analogy here would also be useful.

Imagine a band releases a 12-song album for $14.99. On the same exact day the same band offers a downloadable extra that has three songs not included on the album – for an additional $4.99. Then the band says that those extra songs are just “sugar on top” and that they’re trying to release “awesome music” so fans should just stop complaining because “they don’t know what it’s like to record music.”

Now imagine that the same band had, in previous years, released 15 song albums for $14.99.

It’s not a perfect analogy, I realize, but it does help illustrate how fans are beginning to feel robbed by the booming gaming industry.

StevenM fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 10, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Bongo Bill posted:

There is one more mission that locks you out of all sidequests once you start it. The mission you named is not that mission, and nothing else between your current position in the story and that mission causes sidequests to time out, to my knowledge.

Much thanks!

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

ilifin posted:

You are terrible for doing this. LEGION WAS YOUR BRO :argh:

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
Ah cheers both.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Bongo Bill posted:

If you purchased the From Ashes DLC pack, that provides a character. .

I didn't purchase the From Ashes DLC. If I do, can I do that at this point in the story? How important is it?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

StevenM posted:

http://www.gamefly.com/news/article/209920/mass-effect-designer-defends-day-one-dlc-says-game-developers/

Perhaps it's a bad case of confirmation bias but I cannot, in all good faith, buy this as a genuine defense. Instead of the context being "we've cut content from the game to make more money", it's become "we've cut content from the game to make money and we're using pre-owned/trade-in deals as a scapegoat, don't blame us". Fill me in here - is it really impossible to imagine that a development studio could release a game and continue to develop fresh DLC for the game months/years after the fact?

Completely remove this debate from the general vitriol aimed at BioWare (Dragon Age 2, etc etc) and take it on its own terms - if "most people have already sold your game back to GameStop", is that an indicator of the quality of the customer or the quality of your game? Is it reasonable to respond to a strawman (all DLC is unfinished content) with a strawman (pre-orders) and to ignore the context of the complaints (those cases where DLC does represent unfinished content)?

It's even less of an argument for a game with online content and that requires an Origin account. Obviously I know consoles are a different scenario but my point is this "people are going to sell it back to Gamestop" argument is less relevant every year.

If they can put up numbers showing Shadow Broker DLC had terrible sales there might be some substance to it, but I doubt it. We're talking about a series where people saved their savegames for five years. Late-release DLC isn't a problem here.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 10, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

From Ashes should be available at any point.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

User0015 posted:

I didn't purchase the From Ashes DLC. If I do, can I do that at this point in the story? How important is it?

I really cant imagine not having it.. especially on certain missions. it will change your notions of the protheans completely.

him and liara bounce off one another very well as a mission pair

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Plus, the new weapon is basically the be-all-end-all of assault rifles. My second time through, I'm deliberately avoiding using it because if I did, I wouldn't need any other guns.

Space Cadet Glow
Jun 10, 2011

LazyDivey posted:

Did you rescue the Quarian admiral beforehand? The one that was pro peace. He is essential.

I've been meaning to ask. What happens to Morinth in ME3 if you killed Samara in ME2?

I think it was mentioned earlier that she shows up as a banshee during the mission in the ardat-yakshi monastery.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Malrauxs Place posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier that she shows up as a banshee during the mission in the ardat-yakshi monastery.

Why? Why would she be anywhere near that place? Trying to free the others?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Why? Why would she be anywhere near that place? Trying to free the others?

Her sisters are there. Entirely possible she cared about that despite being a crazy person.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
A collection of particularly choice user review comments from the Mass Effect 3 Metacritic "bomb": http://trendygamers.com/2012/03/10/mass-effect-3-metacritics-helpful-user-reviews/

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Blind Sally posted:

A collection of particularly choice user review comments from the Mass Effect 3 Metacritic "bomb": http://trendygamers.com/2012/03/10/mass-effect-3-metacritics-helpful-user-reviews/

Hyperbolers gonna hyperbole

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Why do so many of the npcs on the Citadel have Parkinson's disease? I can normally look past weird model bugs..but its really weird in this game.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Blind Sally posted:

That last review would have been funny if it had stopped after the first sentence.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

User0015 posted:

You can do it at any time I think. I don't know what the game is like without him though.

He gives a lot of insight into Prothean life and how the universe is following a cycle. Your squadmates talk to him so you miss out on quite a bit of dialogue. I think it's worth the money.

I took him with me on Thessia since he is a Prothean. How does it play out if you don't take him? He convinced the Asari commando to help by melding information about her and using that to convince her. Then when you get to the Asari artifacts and talk to Liara about them, he says how their goddess was actually Prothean and they just took pity on them and taught them to how to write. He even points out that the Asari goddess looks like Prothean and that she should see the resemblance between him and the statue. Liara eventually shuts him off by saying something like, "Do you know what you're implying? I'm not going to believe you." Then Javik says that she is deluding herself as were the other asari when the goddess started looking less Prothean and more like the Asari.

Eventually he says that there was something weird about the place before Shepard confirms that there is a beacon here. He then talks to the Prothean VI and remarks that the current cycle has earned the right to try and build the Crucible.

Such a good mission when you bring him along.

Edit:

Kin posted:

I'm currently doing the eden prime mission from the DLC and coming across a consistent game crashing bug.

It's immediately after i activate and watch the video of the Prothean era. The overall cutscene ends and then just as it's getting back to the gameplay it crashes. Same point every time. :/

Has that happened to anyone else?

edit: Google says yes. What an annoying thing to happen.

This happened to me too. I got through it by holding shift to bring up the power menu. Do it right before the point it crashes and it should go through just fine.

RickDaedalus fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 10, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
More ending whining!

People who think the ending sucks just becuase Shepard dies are being pretty dumb. Shepard dieing at the end of this was to be expected. Sacrifice is a constant theme throughout these games. You have to sacrifice people, places, and entire races. It only makes sense that in the end Shepard makes the ultimate sacrifice and gives up his own life. Is it sad? Well yes, but that doesn't make it bad. It's a fitting end to his journey.

What makes it bad is that Shepard's sacrifice also brings about the collapse of the established setting and invalidates almost all of your choices throughout the game. Even if Shepard was magically transported back to earth in every ending and got to spend the rest of his life with his friends the ending would still be atrocious. Shepard has a happy end, but the rest of the galaxy is completely hosed.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

LazyDivey posted:

You get an email from her, you get to read some emails that she sent to her sisters at Liaras Terminal-thingie and she randomly shows up as an enemy at earth at the end. It's pretty terrible, particularly since there was a perfect opportunity to have her show up at the Monastery since her emails establishes that she cares about her sisters.

Endgame question; Since the reapers apparently can highjack the citadel and move it to earth without any major issues, why didn't they do that right at the start?

Also the ending(s) are terrible and Kai Leng is the worst loving character. I particularly liked that you got to beat him in a (completely trivial) boss fight on Thessia but then he gets magical cutscene powers and kicks your rear end. Way to go Bioware :thumbsup:

e; the endings would have been better if they had used established characters and concepts instead of just pulling a random manchild robot out of their rear end.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 10, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, there is no problem with Shepard dying. Frankly, I think it was pretty much inevitable. The problem is that it makes no sense for the themes of the game.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

User0015 posted:

Honestly, having the Prothean as DLC content was a terrible decision. I found him to be a fairly significant presence throughout the game, and his commentary was some of the most relevant between missions. Hell, a lot of the plot relies on his specific commentary and perspective, and I can't see how a lot of things make sense without him.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Internet Kraken posted:

More ending whining!

What makes it bad is that Shepard's sacrifice also brings about the collapse of the established setting and invalidates almost all of your choices throughout the game. Even if Shepard was magically transported back to earth in every ending and got to spend the rest of his life with his friends the ending would still be atrocious. Shepard has a happy end, but the rest of the galaxy is completely hosed.

This.

I could HONESTLY stomach the endings.

BUT.

No epilogue? no.. nothing? just cyberjoker and edi about to breed?

gently caress them.

i like them as characters and everything, but poo poo.

where are my BRO's?

is everyone dead?

even the people that CAN accept the endings have really lovely questions.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is there a list of ME2 characters you can have in your party and where to find them? So far all the mass effect2 characters I have found are just cutscene fodder. I wanted Jack back in my party goddamit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

keyframe posted:

Is there a list of ME2 characters you can have in your party and where to find them? So far all the mass effect2 characters I have found are just cutscene fodder. I wanted Jack back in my party goddamit.

Tali, Garrus. There ya go!

mania
Sep 9, 2004

RickDaedalus posted:

You can do it at any time I think. I don't know what the game is like without him though.

He gives a lot of insight into Prothean life and how the universe is following a cycle. Your squadmates talk to him so you miss out on quite a bit of dialogue. I think it's worth the money.

I took him with me on Thessia since he is a Prothean. How does it play out if you don't take him? He convinced the Asari commando to help by melding information about her and using that to convince her. Then when you get to the Asari artifacts and talk to Liara about them, he says how their goddess was actually Prothean and they just took pity on them and taught them to how to write. He even points out that the Asari goddess looks like Prothean and that she should see the resemblance between him and the statue. Liara eventually shuts him off by saying something like, "Do you know what you're implying? I'm not going to believe you." Then Javik says that she is deluding herself as were the other asari when the goddess started looking less Prothean and more like the Asari.

Eventually he says that there was something weird about the place before Shepard confirms that there is a beacon here. He then talks to the Prothean VI and remarks that the current cycle has earned the right to try and build the Crucible.

Such a good mission when you bring him along.

I brought Garrus along for that mission on Thessia. Shepard paragons/renegades the commando into helping out. At the museum, Garrus keeps pointing out that the statue, bursts and murals look like protheans while Liara tries to deny it. Shepard kinda zones in front of the statue and realises that there's a becaon there.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Playing this game made me realize that ME is actually not very fun to play. It's really more about the story & RPG elements (which have been stripped considerably since the first game.)

Gone is the excitement of getting loot (even if you turned junk into omni gel), gone is the ability to just open an inventory screen and start equipping mods and weapons/armor/implants (wtf is this thing where you have to find some terminal to do armor/weapon customization?) , gone is the lockpicking.

ME3 is a 'good game', but I still enjoyed actually playing ME1 more than any of the others.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, there is no problem with Shepard dying. Frankly, I think it was pretty much inevitable. The problem is that it makes no sense for the themes of the game.
I mean, I don't like it, and it's irritating that it's only possible for one of the options, but that's all it is: irritating and disliked. The complete lack of an actual prologue and the devastation of galactic society that Shepard directly causes are serious problems, and they'll need a fair amount of work to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Internet Kraken posted:

More ending whining!

People who think the ending sucks just becuase Shepard dies are being pretty dumb. Shepard dieing at the end of this was to be expected. Sacrifice is a constant theme throughout these games. You have to sacrifice people, places, and entire races. It only makes sense that in the end Shepard makes the ultimate sacrifice and gives up his own life. Is it sad? Well yes, but that doesn't make it bad. It's a fitting end to his journey.

This is exactly what I came in to post. They give us this ending and expect us to be satisfied with NO closure for the rest of the galaxy. We don't just care about how Shepard went out (dying like a hero to save everybody), we care about the rest of the galaxy and our squaddies, and no matter the ending you choose, everyone is basically hosed. Without the relays, galactic civilization is gone. Too many people are stuck near Earth, which will have a hell of a time rebuilding anyway, even without all these fleets trapped here. It's just... everything is gone. The people we worked so hard to protect are screwed, no matter what, and that is a really lovely feeling to leave the game with after so many hours of being told we can save people if we sacrifice enough.

• Locked thread