Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bongo Bill posted:

I predict that the divisiveness will not be whether the ending is bad (it is), but whether it retroactively diminishes what leads up to it (I, personally, will respond decisively in the negative).

Others will disagree, but I say, in the final tally, different-colored explosions and inexplicable crash landings can't take away the fact that Tali got drunk and teased Javik over the intercom and the guy on the citadel finally got his refund. Or maybe different things happened in your game and they were cool too.

I think the game is pretty good, even though the ending doesn't fit at all, really.

Ending spoilers:
It's not so much that it was a bleak ending, as the game can get kind of bleak even in the middle, but that it was an ending where nothing you did matters, and you don't go out like the badass Shepard you are by that point. The characters don't count anymore, and characters were a big thing in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Internet Kraken posted:

Unfortunately no.

Earth already had population and resource problems in the Mass Effect setting before the Reapers came and hosed it up. Now there are a ton of aliens stranded in that system with nowhere near enough resources to support them all. If they don't find a way to get back to other systems soon, there's going to be war. A lot of it, as everyone fights to take control of what few resources remain. With the way the endings are, the Sol system is going to become one of the worst places in the galaxy.
There's probably also no food available for Quarians and Turians stranded in the Sol System. Same with the Garden World at the end.

Hope you didn't get to attached to Garrus and Tali! :toot:

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I predict that the divisiveness will not be whether the ending is bad (it is), but whether it retroactively diminishes what leads up to it (I, personally, will respond decisively in the negative).

Others will disagree, but I say, in the final tally, different-colored explosions and inexplicable crash landings can't take away the fact that Tali got drunk and teased Javik over the intercom and the guy on the citadel finally got his refund. Or maybe different things happened in your game and they were cool too.
In my first playthrough, I agreed with him. On my second run, I just couldn't bear to disappoint him like that, so I agreed again. I don't think I'll ever have the heart to screw him over after three games.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, you have a good point, but closure is what Me3 was supposed to do. The journey was great, it got really intense at the end and then we got no Catharsis, it's like being poisoned and then refused the antidote and forced to just deal with your poisoning. Yeah, I can deal with it, I just really expected the antidote and instead got more poison. :(

Yeah the metaphor got away from me, but the point is there.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I completely agree that the game until the ending was really fun, and I probably shouldn't care about the last 10 minutes this much when pretty much everything else was so well done, but I can't help the fact that the ending doesn't make me want to replay the game at all.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Dr.Conrad Verner hahaha christ

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Kainser posted:

There's probably also no food available for Quarians and Turians stranded in the Sol System. Same with the Garden World at the end.

Hope you didn't get to attached to Garrus and Tali! :toot:

Theoretically, if you go with the And then Shepard was the Reapers ending, the Reapers could help people get back where they belong.

The Normandy crew is probably hosed, though.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I was curious about a class discussion thread as well. I think I'm going to do a renegade run using downloaded saves + Gibbed's editor to set everything up and port it to my Xbox. The question is, what class should I pick? My current run is pure adept with max Pull/Throw/Warp, Pull/Throw x2 and tons of cooldown reduction.

Combat consists of throwing out two Pulls every single second and then Throwing at anything that isn't shielded/armored. Warp for shielded enemies. Grenades for armored enemies/loving Turrets. But I'm tired of spamming Y until half the battlefield is hovering around my head, then a Throw that causes Biotic Explosions that send guys everywhere. I need combat a little more...visceral? A little more death-defying? More awesome?

It's just not enough. I need more. I want to punch an Atlas to death, goddamnit! I want to walk up to(or arrive at) a loving Turret and just punch the engineer cowering behind it in the face, then break his little toys. I want to Not Give A gently caress, ever, in any circumstance against any enemy.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Zilkin posted:

I completely agree that the game until the ending was really fun, and I probably shouldn't care about the last 10 minutes this much when pretty much everything else was so well done, but I can't help the fact that the ending doesn't make me want to replay the game at all.

I'm already planning like four more playthroughs, but I'll be stopping at the part where Anderson and Shepard are sitting there looking out at space, and pretending that the Reapers die and everything is okay the end. Headcanon!

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Panzeh posted:

I think the game is pretty good, even though the ending doesn't fit at all, really.

Ending spoilers:
It's not so much that it was a bleak ending, as the game can get kind of bleak even in the middle, but that it was an ending where nothing you did matters, and you don't go out like the badass Shepard you are by that point. The characters don't count anymore, and characters were a big thing in the series.

I have to agree with you. Incoming Ending Spoliers Rant, Detected: The whole Joker flying the ship away from the explosion and still getting caught by it was kinda crap. It built this space opera up to have this huge ending, but it looks like the last hour or so was just shoe-horned in. All of my crew members, every single one, basically got their ten seconds of fame right before the poo poo hit the fan even harder, but all they got was a cursory mention and a cutscene of the LI smiling? What the gently caress? All it did was frustrate me. Especially when they name drop Harbinger, and he even makes an apperance and all he does is laser your face off. No fight scene between Harby - poo poo, we didn't even get to let Shepard watch what the Crucible did to the Reapers. So if he does all this, sees his life flash before his eyes, and he doesn't even get to see what his actions wrought? Did those actions even make that huge of a difference, all things considered? Demanding a Star Trek: Generations-esque ending, where everything is peachy keen and back to normal several years after the Reapers are destroyed, with a wized elderly Shepard has to tag team with his inevitable replacement, because Goddamnit, Harbinger just doesn't know when to die. As retarded as it sounds, at least we'll get to see how all the other races and crewmembers fared, instead of Buzz Aldrin telling some little kid a story about "the Shepard".

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Shroomie posted:

Theoretically, if you go with the And then Shepard was the Reapers ending, the Reapers could help people get back where they belong.

The Normandy crew is probably hosed, though.

The reapers are just as slow as other ships. Mostly. Okay maybe not, it took them a month to go from one system without a Mass Relay to another...so hm.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

User0015 posted:

I was curious about a class discussion thread as well. I think I'm going to do a renegade run using downloaded saves + Gibbed's editor to set everything up and port it to my Xbox. The question is, what class should I pick? My current run is pure adept with max Pull/Throw/Warp, Pull/Throw x2 and tons of cooldown reduction.

Combat consists of throwing out two Pulls every single second and then Throwing at anything that isn't shielded/armored. Warp for shielded enemies. Grenades for armored enemies/loving Turrets. But I'm tired of spamming Y until half the battlefield is hovering around my head, then a Throw that causes Biotic Explosions that send guys everywhere. I need combat a little more...visceral? A little more death-defying? More awesome?

It's just not enough. I need more. I want to punch an Atlas to death, goddamnit! I want to walk up to(or arrive at) a loving Turret and just punch the engineer cowering behind it in the face, then break his little toys. I want to Not Give A gently caress, ever, in any circumstance against any enemy.

Get shockwave and max it out, easily my favorite biotic power.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

This, basically, but Shep facing down Harbinger and getting lasered is just loving great no matter how you spin it. The whole hell walk to the beam was the highpoint for me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So is there no consequence for the reapers catching your ship? I got a game over screen and then it loaded me right back where I was, sans reapers.

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.

User0015 posted:

Go with Vanguard. All the biotic awesomeness of an adept, but focused on getting up into enemies' faces and beating the gently caress out of them. A no-weapons approach may be a bit difficult to pull off, but with 200% cooldown reduction, you should be able to stay alive indefinitely by sticking to the ABC rule. And if multiplayer Vanguard is anything to go by, Nova is a move that isn't affected by cooldown, so long as you have shields. You may consider just hoofing it up to enemies if there's not a lot of crossfire, then pulling a nova-charge-nova combo. Maxed out nova can also give an extra 25% boost to power recharge speed so it should be pretty viable.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

I started a new game yesterday, and just found myself wandering round the citadel thinking "welp, no point in doing too many sidequests, you guys are all going to die anyway".
The ending renders many of the decisions you make meaningless, and makes replays fairly pointless.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The whole (ending) synthesis thing just feels dumb to me. That kind of transhumanist stuff works in Deus Ex, where it's a pervasive theme in the story, but it feels massively shoehorned into Mass Effect. Honestly they should've just given us the choice between "destroy the reapers" (paragon) and "harness/control the reapers to benefit humanity" (renegade). Then expanded the possible results for the ending by showing slides for squadmates and worlds based on the choices we've made throughout the series, some of which (like some of the Tuchanka/Krogan/Wrex slides) could only be seen with certain choices from prior games. The Fallout thing.

Would many people have been dissatisfied with that?

reboot
May 6, 2011
So I'm currently doing my 2nd playthrough, and I'm going for a 100% complete run.

There is one thing that is bothering me though, and I haven't been able to find out any information on it. I completed Aria's mission with the Blue Suns, Eclipse, and Blood Pact, and when I go back to her she talks about how they are all in her pocket. The problem is, is that they don't show up on my war assets list. This has to be a bug or something because in my first play through they did show up. Does anyone know of a way to fix it or anything? They're a pretty big part of your war score or whatever it's called and I'd really like to have that nice big chunk added onto it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Count Choculitis posted:

I'm already planning like four more playthroughs, but I'll be stopping at the part where Anderson and Shepard are sitting there looking out at space, and pretending that the Reapers die and everything is okay the end. Headcanon!

I refer you to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZDDC7vhdug

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

This, basically, but Shep facing down Harbinger and getting lasered is just loving great no matter how you spin it. The whole hell walk to the beam was the highpoint for me.

That walking section requires a lot of pinpoint firing , at least on Insanity, and it works in making the scene very intense and taxing on you. Loved it, but I didn't love the very similar section afterwards. Way too long, but very cinematic I agree.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

nwin posted:

So is there no consequence for the reapers catching your ship? I got a game over screen and then it loaded me right back where I was, sans reapers.

That's your consequence!

Really, only planets are gonna have things. Fuel is gonna be randomly around. It's really just easier if you scan like a madman until caught, then when the save reloads you know where everything is. It makes scanning much quicker.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does Harbinger really do almost nothing throughout this whole game? They spent so much time in Mass Effect 2 building him up to be the face of the reaper threat. I figured he'd be taunting you at various parts of the story just like he did in ME2.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

User0015 posted:

Vanguard Vanguard VANGUARD. Put one point in Pull, max out Charge prioritizing recharge speed and shield recharge, then Assault Mastery prioritizing recharge speed and weight capacity, then Nova and Fitness in equal parts. Ignore Shockwave, carry only a heavy pistol and a shotgun. Leave the long-range to your squad members, you're gonna be right in everyone's personal space Charging literally every second and a half, nigh-invincible with every charge restoring your shields to 100%. Give no fucks, and tell it to everyone's face as you shatter their teeth with biotic destruction.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Pladdicus posted:

The reapers are just as slow as other ships. Mostly. Okay maybe not, it took them a month to go from one system without a Mass Relay to another...so hm.

I guess it really just depends how much control Shepard exerted upon the Reapers. If it was simply a "get lost" command, then everybody in the Sol system is poo poo out of luck and the galaxy as a whole is going to be in shambles for a very long time. If they become benevolant, then they could ferry people back to where they need to be and eventually maybe even rebuild the relay system.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

reboot posted:

So I'm currently doing my 2nd playthrough, and I'm going for a 100% complete run.

There is one thing that is bothering me though, and I haven't been able to find out any information on it. I completed Aria's mission with the Blue Suns, Eclipse, and Blood Pact, and when I go back to her she talks about how they are all in her pocket. The problem is, is that they don't show up on my war assets list. This has to be a bug or something because in my first play through they did show up. Does anyone know of a way to fix it or anything? They're a pretty big part of your war score or whatever it's called and I'd really like to have that nice big chunk added onto it.
Im pretty sure that part is one of the buggiest parts of the game. I failed 1 of those quests yet got it as a war asset. :psyduck:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Pladdicus posted:

Agreed, just when the game felt incredibly desperate, it kicked it up another notch. It was a taxing game to play with lots of tough moments (Mordin, Thane, Legion), but that was an incredibly badass moment that set an even more desperate tone. Kind of a final, "gently caress you Harbinger! Everything has gone to absolute hell but not even you can stop me, I'm motherfucking Shepard and I'm going to save the galaxy!"

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

I'm a huge dummy. Does ME2 difficulty give you a bonus in ME3? I don't think I've heard that it does but I have to replay ME2 because nothing on the saves site has exactly what I want and I am so very anal about what my space bros will be doing I have to play ME2 again to get it JUST RIGHT. But if I can do it on babbys first ME difficulty then hey that would be awesome.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Unfortunately no.

Earth already had population and resource problems in the Mass Effect setting before the Reapers came and hosed it up. Now there are a ton of aliens stranded in that system with nowhere near enough resources to support them all. If they don't find a way to get back to other systems soon, there's going to be war. A lot of it, as everyone fights to take control of what few resources remain. With the way the endings are, the Sol system is going to become one of the worst places in the galaxy.

Uhm, this isn't really based on anything. We could just as easily say that Earth's population took serious hits due to the death machines and general war toll, but that due to the way reapers focussed on urban centres most of the agrarian areas were relatively undamaged. United by common purpose, the surviving humans and alien allies pool resources, technology and know how and integrate them as much as possible to make a sustainable future. The Quarians and Turians set up a network of farms in geo-bubbles on the moon to feed their populations blah de blah.

The point is, you're just inventing a future and declaring it to be the canon/inevitable result.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I like how the first thing I thought of when they said that the UK was the first contact point for the Reapers at the beginning of the game was "this is all guddamn Cardiff's fault"

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Internet Kraken posted:

Does Harbinger really do almost nothing throughout this whole game? They spent so much time in Mass Effect 2 building him up to be the face of the reaper threat. I figured he'd be taunting you at various parts of the story just like he did in ME2.

Well...He lasers you and your buddies at the end. And then walks away. He does that weird horn/Reaper Fart thing while he walks past, but thati's pretty much his relevance. oh, and a couple of people say his name.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Control the reapers is the paragon choice (blue). Destroy is renegade (red)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Sintor posted:

People say sacrifice was a big theme in the game, but Renegade-Shep specialized in sacrificing EVERYONE ELSE, not himself. The crazy renegade choice would have been like:

Detonating all reapers and basically shredding every occupied planet to dust. You get to live while untold millions die. You warp the closed Citadel out, Joker docks, and you proceed to gently caress bitches like there's no tomorrow. Repopulate EVERY race with Shepard babies.

Well, the only ending in which Shep can live (>5k assets) is the Destroy ending, which is definitely the "renegade ending."

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Charlie Mopps posted:

Im pretty sure that part is one of the buggiest parts of the game. I failed 1 of those quests yet got it as a war asset. :psyduck:

You don't need to get them all for it to count as an asset, it just won't be as strong without all three companies.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
End game: So aren't the Elcor and Volus basically wiped out now after the Reapers took the Citadel and offed all the refugees there? They had already lost their homeworlds and I don't think either species had that many colonies. RIP.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Alright, buckled down and bought ME3 despite the mixed feelings. All in all it doesn't feel like an improvement on ME2 so far, though I enjoyed the hell out of ME2 so that's no big loss.

The combat improvements are pretty nice, but they're kinda offset by Shep's tendency to dive around all over the place when I just want to leave cover. Given that the game is an RPGized cover based shooter the cover shooting mechanics are still a bit annoying. Also, sometimes the HUD becomes unresponsive to mouse clicks for extended periods of time, usually when I really really need covering power deployment :|

Vanguard is still as fun as ever, though I'm not really getting the love for Nova at the moment. Yep, let's charge into the middle of some dudes and then turn my shields into a big energy pulse so I can't make it back into cover. Really its main use for me is gratuitously overkilling Combat Engineers into a pink mist because jesus loving christ I HATE those guys.

Scanning, weapon customization, the equipment weight mechanic and power trees are all excellent improvements on their equivalents in ME2 and ME1. Hopefully holding that opinion doesn't make me the mainstream cancer killing Mass Effect's RPGness, but honestly it has a lot more depth than ME2, not less, and I can't see anyone objecting to not having to do tedious scanning chores anymore.

Speaking of tedious chores, though, probably my biggest complaint so far (I'm still not very far into the game) would be the Citadel missions, as well as their general bugginess. After the Priority Missions I've done it's all "oh great, now I have to go do some chores on the Citadel, because apparently if you do too many Priority Missions then you lose Citadel mission options". There's no character or story development, they're just lovely fetch quests which sometimes don't even work right (after spending two hours running around the Citadel it turns out that my Hanar Diplomat mission glitched. I activated surveillance on the Hanar terminals and nothing happened, the terminals that are supposed to be interactable aren't. And I had Kasumi on-side too. Oh well, sucks to be the Hanar then).

The combat ramp-up is a bit brutal as well, but that's not that big a deal. The main issues was that I'm playing on Hardcore and it took me something like 30 attempts to clear the end of the Eden Prime DLC. By the end of it I'd learned a great deal about flanking, grenade avoidance, and general Vanguarding skills, and I was massacring the enemy but there was just no loving ammunition anywhere and I didn't really have any offensive spells in my loadout. Liara holds her own but Vega is incredibly poo poo at holding off Cerberus dudes, EDI fembot completely demolishes them but I didn't have her at this point. And loving Javik rewarded me for that gauntlet of bullshit by pitching camp on the Normandy then taking a nap for the next two missions. Grr.

By comparison I did the Grissom academy Atrium battle that everyone's bitching about on the second attempt. Stormed the high-ground in both sections and had my team-mates hurl biotic hell down on the enemies below with the occasional shotgun blast from me for moral support :v: Things get a lot more fun once you get the hang of dodging loving grenades and avoiding turret fire. I just wish I could carry a lightweight situational sniper rifle as well, but eh, I can deal. Maybe I'll respec as a Soldier or Infiltrator next time.

Oh, also the load screens apparently have some sort of help text on them but I never have enough time to read more than the first sentence :v: and this is on a PC HDD that definitely got held back a few grades at school, load times on all my other games are really lovely.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know the ending suppose to be bad and that fine to blast, but some of you don't want to replay the series again because the ending was awful? That just a really dumb thing to say. Call me old, but after going through countless NES and SNES games as a kid and the only reward was "Thank you for Playing", I just generally care ultimately about the ending of a game. So long I had fun playing and was generally entertained (which the game has done both) then I will return in the future.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Wingless posted:

Uhm, this isn't really based on anything. We could just as easily say that Earth's population took serious hits due to the death machines and general war toll, but that due to the way reapers focussed on urban centres most of the agrarian areas were relatively undamaged. United by common purpose, the surviving humans and alien allies pool resources, technology and know how and integrate them as much as possible to make a sustainable future. The Quarians and Turians set up a network of farms in geo-bubbles on the moon to feed their populations blah de blah.

The point is, you're just inventing a future and declaring it to be the canon/inevitable result.

I'm pretty sure the Quarian liveships came with their fleet as well so the Turians/Quarians in the sol system are not necessarily completely screwed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rirse posted:

I know the ending suppose to be bad and that fine to blast, but some of you don't want to replay the series again because the ending was awful? That just a really dumb thing to say. Call me old, but after going through countless NES and SNES games as a kid and the only reward was "Thank you for Playing", I just generally care ultimately about the ending of a game. So long I had fun playing and was generally entertained (which the game has done both) then I will return in the future.

The thing is that a big part of the ME franchise is the choices and consequences. Even if, in the long run, they're an illusion, they are an effective illusion. The ending shatters that illusion like glass. I can't imagine why the gently caress I'd want to ever sit through that awful planet scanning bullshit again now.

reboot
May 6, 2011

Riso posted:

I refer you to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZDDC7vhdug

That should really be spoiler tagged, just in case.

Also that is the ending I'm going to be going with, along with my Shepherd sitting on the beach with Liara enjoying a nice glass of scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Tiny little rant that I don't think deserves spoiling:

Bioware still couldn't be arsed to say to themselves "Hey, you know how the Mattock was really annoying because you had to click-click-click-click-click-click constantly? Let's make it so holding down the key fires off another shot. You know, like every other AR!"

:smith:

• Locked thread