Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Avocados posted:

God no. Oh man, no. Quarian/Geth good ending is as follows(arguably)

If you fought for peace in 2 and did both missions in 3 before the last one AND have max rep, or near max, you tell him to upload the code and at the point where you can cancel the upload you instead pick Para/Rene option and convince the fleet to GTFO. Saving the day. The Geth get upgraded, and return the planet to the Quarians, helping them resettle, helping fix their immune system and everything. Oh! And you need to rescue the peace captain instead of his men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

The way I look at it is this. This is a game. I play games to have fun. I am having fun playing this game again after beating it. Function fulfilled. Even if I think the endings could have been better, it doesn't matter. This is how they wanted to end their series and I think they have their right to that. Fans can decide if they hate it enough not to buy anymore Bioware games. But I hope they do, because I love Bioware games.

I'm glad that's enough for you, but I invested myself in the story of Commander Shepard, it was some seriously quality storytelling up until the end when it was like "Huhn?"

There's no resolution that anyone (at least myself) can hang their hat on.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Regarding same-sex crew relationships:

I accidentally invited Traynor up to my name without realizing I could jump into the shower with her..but is it possible to romance Diana Allers too if you're a fem-sheep?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

is it possible to romance Diana Allers too if you're a fem-sheep?

That would be a bhhhhaaaaaa-d idea.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ilifin posted:

I do want to be proven wrong here though, can you get variations?

If you raise your preparedness score above 5000 and pick the destroy ending, you get a brief clip of Shepard gasping for breath implying that he survives. That's it.

Quality!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

That would be a bhhhhaaaaaa-d idea.

What, can you what. I don't get it. :?

HappyKittens
Feb 4, 2012

by angerbutt

Pladdicus posted:

It was prolly canned because that sounds really dumb.

Shepard: Hey you Reapers get out of here :argh:
Reapers: Oh poo poo, lets go, he looks mad.

(I dunno why, but there are better endings)

I would prefer that to what we have now.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

If you raise your preparedness score above 5000 and pick the destroy ending, you get a brief clip of Shepard gasping for breath implying that he survives. That's it.

Quality!
Is that the only variation of all the three endings? Amazing. Why did I even bother doing sidequests?

Actually, do you end up in the chat alone with Anderson and TIM, your squad surviving and you not dragging yourself half-dead to the beam, if you are above 5000 readiness?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

HappyKittens posted:

I remember reading from the leaked script that there was originally supposed to a ending where Shepard simply sends reapers back to the dark space where they will wait another 50K years and return presumbly to a much more prepared galaxy. What happened to that?

I can kinda of see that ending working if Shepard talked down the Reapers due to his success in uniting the galaxy and they wanted to follow up if it holds. Alternative to this ending if Shepard was fully able to reason with the Reapers regarding order/chaos to break the cycle.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

HappyKittens posted:

I would prefer that to what we have now.

It's about a thousand times worse, thematically. It'd be so much worse as an ending.

Archyp Cosh
Nov 12, 2011

Psyker posted:

But Shep doesn't die doing that. Shep basically does what the Reapers do - adds his/her consciousness to Catalyst/Crucible and assumes direct control. Shepard, in turn, becomes a heavily-armed intergalactic peacekeeper.

At least, that's one way to write it off?

I would almost be willing to forgive the ending if it cut to Harbinger running around lasering poo poo, pausing for a second, having his eyes change to the color of Shepard's and Shep's "Reaper voice" booming out over the battlefield "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL."

But not quite.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Crappy Jack posted:

The sheer amount of people coming up with better ideas off the top of their heads means that Bioware had to actively work to make an ending this disappointing.

Or Bioware didn't fully think through the repercussions of everything that happens in their endings and Mass Effect fans have always been through the looking glass no matter where. It's like watching weird anime fans, only nobody's started outing themselves as pedophiles yet.

For gently caress's sake people are writing fanfiction about this. A distressing amount of people are talking about being mad because they don't get to have blue space babies (when back during ME1 and 2, Liara's ~uguu~ness and the Asari were the Dumb Mass Effect Thing du jour). It's getting to be that the only difference between Goons and BSN about this is the BSN people are funny stupid.

Content: What sniper rifle do people who've run through the game think is the best? I've got my eye on the Black Widow, but it's mad expensive. I'm running a gimmicky Adept built for Zero-G sniping.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

ilifin posted:

Is that the only variation of all the three endings? Amazing. Why did I even bother doing sidequests?

Actually, do you end up in the chat alone with Anderson and TIM, your squad surviving and you not dragging yourself half-dead to the beam, if you are above 5000 readiness?

Toned down because I don't want to super spoil it for you. Ending poo poo:
There are three endings. Red, Blue, and Green. In Red the Reapers explode, in Blue humans get glowy lines. In Red ending with 5k EMS, Shepard breaths at the end.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MadRhetoric posted:

Content: What sniper rifle do people who've run through the game think is the best? I've got my eye on the Black Widow, but it's mad expensive. I'm running a gimmicky Adept built for Zero-G sniping.

I love the Valiant.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Toned down because I don't want to super spoil it for you. Ending poo poo:
There are three endings. Red, Blue, and Green. In Red the Reapers explode, in Blue humans get glowy lines. In Red ending with 5k EMS, Shepard breaths at the end.
No, give me the super spoiler. I want to know how it ends out just so I can justify playing my planned Tali romance male Shepard 100% paragon.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

MadRhetoric posted:

Or Bioware didn't fully think through the repercussions of everything that happens in their endings and Mass Effect fans have always been through the looking glass no matter where. It's like watching weird anime fans, only nobody's started outing themselves as pedophiles yet.

For gently caress's sake people are writing fanfiction about this. A distressing amount of people are talking about being mad because they don't get to have blue space babies (when back during ME1 and 2, Liara's ~uguu~ness and the Asari were the Dumb Mass Effect Thing du jour). It's getting to be that the only difference between Goons and BSN about this is the BSN people are funny stupid.

It's about closure, about investing 100+ hours into something and feeling like it was a waste. I don't think that's really hard to understand?

That said Content:I didn't touch sniper rifles at all, went Semi-Automatic rifle, which was accurate enough without having to worry about the zoom being terrible/slow fire rate killing damage. How did sniper rifles work for others? I played Soldier admittedly so slow down allowed me to kill pretty much everything in the span of a few seconds with ammo powers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ilifin posted:

No, give me the super spoiler. I want to know how it ends out just so I can justify playing my planned Tali romance male Shepard 100% paragon.

You either
A) Control the Reapers, Shepard dies
B) Kill the Reapers and all AI life, Shepard lives or dies.
C) Turn everyone into a ~half robot~

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The ending loving sucks, and it's not being a :spergin: to be annoyed by it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Crappy Jack posted:

I mean, that could work as a "bad" ending, like if you didn't have enough preparedness the best Shepard can do is to make the Reapers run away, but nothing's actually solved and maybe the galaxy is majorly hosed up in the meantime; do better and you blow up the whole fleet with the power of friendship or something, I don't care. At least it fits the universe somewhat and doesn't start throwing themes at you five minutes from the end.

I thought maybe a bad ending would incorporate the knockoff Prothean beacon Liara makes for you at one point, myself.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.
Ah! Dan Didio do you mind asking a couple questions? I looked at the war asset files and saw something concerning Quarian Admiral "I cannot recall her name but the mad scientist" and a decision that can give you a war asset. Is that still in the game?

Also, does a certain doctor only grant a war asset if I pick the renegade option for Overlord?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Pladdicus posted:

It was prolly canned because that sounds really dumb.

Shepard: Hey you Reapers get out of here :argh:
Reapers: Oh poo poo, lets go, he looks mad.

(I dunno why, but there are better endings)
I'd be down, that was basically the ending to Babylon 5, barring all that pesky resistance crap in s5.

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]
What's the over/under on the amount of time until everyone stops talking about how bad the ending is? How long are those stages of grief supposed to take?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Merry Magpie posted:

Ah! Dan Didio do you mind asking a couple questions?

What's your name and what are you doing here?

quote:

I looked at the war asset files and saw something concerning Quarian Admiral "I cannot recall her name but the mad scientist" and a decision that can give you a war asset. Is that still in the game?

I'm not In It for the Tank, but yes, she can still become a war asset.

quote:

Also, does a certain doctor only grant a war asset if I pick the renegade option for Overlord?

Don't know, didn't pick that option. He becomes a war asset, and his brother raises another war asset's total, if you go Paragon, though.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

You either
A) Control the Reapers, Shepard dies
B) Kill the Reapers and all AI life, Shepard lives or dies.
C) Turn everyone into a ~half robot~

Okay so this means I just don't need to do anything then. I'm done with this game. It's amazing how I went from merrily mixing up some food before starting the final mission and thinking "man, this was so fun to play" to now wishing I never did play.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

ilifin posted:

Okay so this means I just don't need to do anything then. I'm done with this game. It's amazing how I went from merrily mixing up some food before starting the final mission and thinking "man, this was so fun to play" to now wishing I never did play.

No, seriously. Play it. It's really good, and the last bit of the game, in my opinion, was frickin' great. The ending is not bad enough to make the rest of the game unfun, it's just a terrible ending. Stop before the end, watch the alternate ending someone cut on youtube and call it a day. Or stop before the end and call it a day.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Has it been explained how and why the Normandy fled Earth, made it to the Mass Relay, and entered interstellar transit while the siege of the Citadel was underway? Did they have someplace better to be while the final fight for the fate of the galaxy was being fought? Also, what happened to all the sapient species in the Citadel on the way from where its nebula to the Sol system?

There are some real KOTOR2-caliber "wait what?" gems in this finale

Algo.
Oct 3, 2009

MadRhetoric posted:

As infiltrator i found everything other than the Viper (the quicker firing semi auto one) overkill. Unless you like to one hit heavies, i guess.

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?

Pladdicus posted:

No, seriously. Play it. It's really good, and the last bit of the game, in my opinion, was frickin' great. The ending is not bad enough to make the rest of the game unfun, it's just a terrible ending. Stop before the end, watch the alternate ending someone cut on youtube and call it a day. Or stop before the end and call it a day.

Agreed! This cannot be said enough. You can blot that last 2-5% of the game from your mind and still walk away with a great experience.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

Wait, what? I just finished playing the game with a 32 hour playthrough. I'm just not going to play it again as male Shepard since I won't be able to experience it any differently just because of trying to be completist or not.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

thepopstalinist posted:

Has it been explained how and why the Normandy fled Earth, made it to the Mass Relay, and entered interstellar transit while the siege of the Citadel was underway? Did they have someplace better to be while the final fight for the fate of the galaxy was being fought? Also, what happened to all the sapient species in the Citadel on the way from where its nebula to the Sol system?

There are some real KOTOR2-caliber "wait what?" gems in this finale

No, nothing at all is explained after Shepard chooses an ending.

Calantus
Sep 26, 2006

Dolash posted:

At risk of firing up arguments we went through already, it might be worth reiterating about the Reaper motivation that the Reapers are the solution to the problem that organic life sooner or later makes synthetic life strong enough to overcome it, meaning they'll sooner or later cause all organic life to be destroyed by it - the only way they could think of to stop it long-term (as in billions of years) was to cull any civilization advanced enough to make synthetic intelligence.

You see, much as our challenge with nuclear weapons today, synthetic intelligence is an ever-present doomsday scenario for organic life. It doesn't matter if you settle peace with the Geth or teach EDI to respect life, because organic life itself has to persist over billions of years. There will be countless civilizations that rise and fall, wax and wane in that time and it only takes one to make an out-of-control AI obsessed with wiping out organics and then lose that war to extinguish organic life permanently. This is the chaos, and the Reapers are a check on this chaos.

The problem is that yes they only kill off the problematic species to save the others. But then they do it again. And again. And again. Every 50,000 years until the heat death of the universe. And every civilisation is eventually going to get to the point where they will need to be killed if we're going with the AI is inevitable idea. They kill everyone, eventually. The only organic civilisations that don't get killed by synthetics (reapers) are those that see the end of the universe (or die out by other means). You said it yourself "countless civilisations" would be created over billions of years. Far more than would exist at any one point in time. Less organics would die if every organic was killed off in a single long war with synthetics. The reaper "solution" merely prolongs and increases the suffering and death of organics.

Not to mention that if synthetics taking over organics truly is inevitable then maybe it's just the natural progression of the universe. Much like the creation of organics in the first place. Why is preserving organic life so important when its replacement is merely another step on the evolutionary ladder? Are we to condemn humanity for replacing proto-humans through evolution? Why then are synthetics to be condemned? Because their evolution is unnatural? Well, I would argue that something that is truly inevitable in the universe is as natural an event as could ever be conceived.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'd be down, that was basically the ending to Babylon 5, barring all that pesky resistance crap in s5.

Yeah, a "Now get the hell out of our galaxy!" option would be pretty sweet.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
This came from Reddit, who got it from 4chan, so chances are really drat high that it's all bogus.

Someone claiming to be a Bioware employee on DLC:
http://i.imgur.com/TsqYi.jpg

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

ilifin posted:

Wait, what? I just finished playing the game with a 32 hour playthrough. I'm just not going to play it again as male Shepard since I won't be able to experience it any differently just because of trying to be completist or not.

I was considering playing all 3 games again as a paragon character, just to see what the differences are if I make completely different decisions like killing Wrex in the first game, letting the council live etc.

Since the other ending options are kind of weak, does it make a huge difference while playing the game?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jimbot posted:

You can't reward sacrifice with more sacrifice, especially when the core theme of all the Mass Effect games is hope. Shepard does the impossible in the previous two games and you, the players, aren't allowed to do the impossible in the end. If Shepard destroyed the Reapers without destroying civilization and came out alive, it would have been a huge payoff. Ultimiately, wheather Shepard lived or died should have been the sum of all your decisions in the game up to that point instead of those three arbitrary, out-of-nowhere crap ones you get at the end. It was contrary to the themes of the game.
Exactly.

If I was a writer at Bioware, I would have probably quit over something like this, even in this economy. Pushing something like this out the door has got to just suck the fun out of working somewhere.

etjester posted:

What's the over/under on the amount of time until everyone stops talking about how bad the ending is? How long are those stages of grief supposed to take?
:spergin: Until Bioware fixes their poo poo.

Oh, and Cerberus:
Having TIM's motivations due in large part to being indoctrinated was kind of cheap. Keeping Cerberus as a selfish, immoral, human-supremacist organization works much better. It's not to say they shouldn't have been loving around with Reaper-tech, it's just that having them be a foil to Shepard trying to unite everyone works so much better.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
As a bad ending, Morinth-Sex style, I think it would have been a neat idea to have Shepard be convinced by the Reapers. Now, this is a terrible weak-Shepard decision, just like loving Morinth was, but it would be hard to get any lower than the galaxy's saviour abandoning all life to the culling.

This game was lacking in scintillating reaper conversation. As an act of ending revisionism:

You've done all your Illusive Man suicide persuasion, as a call back to ME1 and Saren. As the Illusive Man slumps to the floor, or even during his speech about controlling the Reapers and not the other way around, Harbinger could Assume Direct Control as a call back to ME2. As Shepard trudges his way to the console to activate the Crucible, Harbinger explains the Reapers. No dumb station VI, no child-guilt bullshit. Just the voice of the enemy speaking to the last hope of the Galaxy.

Maybe Shep doesn't want to hear it. A quick renegade interrupt silences the villain's exposition with a goddamn bullet. Or maybe Harbinger makes some good points (to an idiot Shepard). At the console, Shepard is faced with the choice of destroying the reapers as originally planned, controlling the reapers with the Illusive Man's code, or blowing the Crucible and Citadel to pieces and ensuring the Reaper cycle continues.

For the first two, Shep and Anderson watch the results from the viewport. If you were a lovely War Asset collector, Shep dies here. If you weren't, Shep is rescued. Either way, the epilogue is personal and involves Shep's comrades and friends celebrating the victory, or mourning the sacrifice

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Pladdicus posted:

God no. Oh man, no. Quarian/Geth good ending is as follows(arguably)

If you fought for peace in 2 and did both missions in 3 before the last one AND have max rep, or near max, you tell him to upload the code and at the point where you can cancel the upload you instead pick Para/Rene option and convince the fleet to GTFO. Saving the day. The Geth get upgraded, and return the planet to the Quarians, helping them resettle, helping fix their immune system and everything. Oh! And you need to rescue the peace captain instead of his men

Christ. Looks like I need to get a legit save file from a friend instead of downloading them online. (I accidentally deleted my old ME2 save I slaved over). That save author said he did it right! :argh:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So, here's a thought that's been running around in my mind:

(Spoilers up to Thessia)

The Protheans started laying plans to stop the Reapers in the next cycle, right? I mean, they left the Crucible plans, modified the Keepers, and placed beacons with warnings. Seems to me, the asari were part of that plan. We know the Protheans observed them from Javik's comments. Well, I think they left that beacon there to run the asari up the technological ladder faster. They didn't leave beacons on most of the races' homeworlds, but one nearby, like Mars. But the asari were different in that the Protheans not only left them a beacon on their planet but directly intervened in their development by educating them. Their reason is pretty straight-foward: Thessia has latent element zero that the asari and other native life have adapted to, so they're all biotics. The husks that Reapers used as their standard shock troop are really ineffective against them because of it, which is why the Reapers started making Marauders and Cannibals and such.

Of course, that didn't really work out for them, but I think that was the Protheans' plan for them.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

So, here's a thought that's been running around in my mind:

(Spoilers up to Thessia)

The Protheans started laying plans to stop the Reapers in the next cycle, right? I mean, they left the Crucible plans, modified the Keepers, and placed beacons with warnings. Seems to me, the asari were part of that plan. We know the Protheans observed them from Javik's comments. Well, I think they left that beacon there to run the asari up the technological ladder faster. They didn't leave beacons on most of the races' homeworlds, but one nearby, like Mars. But the asari were different in that the Protheans not only left them a beacon on their planet but directly intervened in their development by educating them. Their reason is pretty straight-foward: Thessia has latent element zero that the asari and other native life have adapted to, so they're all biotics. The husks that Reapers used as their standard shock troop are really ineffective against them because of it, which is why the Reapers started making Marauders and Cannibals and such.

Of course, that didn't really work out for them, but I think that was the Protheans' plan for them.

I recall Javik specifically confirming this exact idea. Not just a vague, you used our stuff to better yourself more than anyone, but actual, 'The Protheans assumed you'd be their successor'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh, and Cerberus:
Having TIM's motivations due in large part to being indoctrinated was kind of cheap. Keeping Cerberus as a selfish, immoral, human-supremacist organization works much better. It's not to say they shouldn't have been loving around with Reaper-tech, it's just that having them be a foil to Shepard trying to unite everyone works so much better.

I never read TIM's motivations as indoctrination until late in the game. Most of his actions early on were to secure the Reaper technology he needed to study indoctrination and Reaper communications so he could figure out how it all worked. Once he got some of that and started modifying himself, THEN he went off the deep end.

• Locked thread