Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Wisconsin also has full tuition remission if you enlisted from Wisconsin and/or other conditions as part of the Wisconsin GI Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
IS THERE NO WAY I CAN GET FREE TUITION?!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Uh, if you go to one of the state schools here in CT you can get a degree for half off. We give no fucks.

That's kinda good.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
None of the worthwhile states to live in actually have anything as helpful as the Hazelwood act.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Relentlessboredomm posted:

None of the worthwhile states to live in actually have anything as helpful as the Hazelwood act.

So why doesnt florida have one?

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Come to Colorado. CSU will give you all the benefits of the GI Bill. Free tuition though, in or out of state.

http://militaryadvantage.military.com/2011/09/vets-get-great-deal-at-colorado-state-university/

Edited out the BAH part. It should be the same. So you can get all the benefits of the gi bill while saving your gi bill.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Come to Colorado. CSU will give you all the benefits of the GI Bill. Free tuition though, in or out of state.

http://militaryadvantage.military.com/2011/09/vets-get-great-deal-at-colorado-state-university/

Edited out the BAH part. It should be the same. So you can get all the benefits of the gi bill while saving your gi bill.

Not completely true, I emailed their CSU veterans rep a few months back and he told me that you still have to use your GI Bill, they just match out of state 100% with the Yellow Ribbon program. Having said that, you can certainly go to school at shittier places. CSU is a pretty good Agricultural school and Ft. Collins is a pretty sweet city (New Belgium and Odell breweries) really close to the mountains, I would almost choose it over CU based just on location.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

bengy81 posted:

Not completely true, I emailed their CSU veterans rep a few months back and he told me that you still have to use your GI Bill, they just match out of state 100% with the Yellow Ribbon program. Having said that, you can certainly go to school at shittier places. CSU is a pretty good Agricultural school and Ft. Collins is a pretty sweet city (New Belgium and Odell breweries) really close to the mountains, I would almost choose it over CU based just on location.

What about in state people?

Also, you're loving high. There are a bunch of reasons to choose CSU over CU, but location ain't one of them.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

What about in state people?

Also, you're loving high. There are a bunch of reasons to choose CSU over CU, but location ain't one of them.

From what I got from the VA rep, the in state benefits are the same as if you went to CU or UCD or whatever, so if you are looking to max your VA money you are better off going to another school because BAH is lower in Ft. Collins.

I dunno, I like Boulder and all, but I have always liked Ft. Collins as a city better than Boulder, although I don't ski so easy access to Eldora and I-70 aren't big concerns of mine.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

moker posted:

So why doesnt florida have one?

There are a shockingly high number of people that think FL is amazing. I don't understand it, but they exist.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Glorious day for me. I was sitting here thinking "These dudes really must hate me" because it's been about 8 days now and none of my email questions have been returned. Then I look in my bank account hoping I didn't overdraw and found $3,500 sitting neatly in there.

Two things I learned in 6 years of the Navy: the government is loving slow and polite but tenacious complaining will get you places. I wonder whom I annoyed enough to have them go "gently caress this guy" and stamp my papers.

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

al-azad posted:

Glorious day for me. I was sitting here thinking "These dudes really must hate me" because it's been about 8 days now and none of my email questions have been returned. Then I look in my bank account hoping I didn't overdraw and found $3,500 sitting neatly in there.

Two things I learned in 6 years of the Navy: the government is loving slow and polite but tenacious complaining will get you places. I wonder whom I annoyed enough to have them go "gently caress this guy" and stamp my papers.

No dude, thats an illusion. I have been tenaciously complaining about my disability claim that I filed 15 months ago, complained about the tardiness of my gi bill certification (which made me lose the semester), and I've been utterly hosed by this agency. I've pretty much lost all faith in universal healthcare and more socialized safety nets, etc... It's loving pathetic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

t_bright posted:

No dude, thats an illusion. I have been tenaciously complaining about my disability claim that I filed 15 months ago, complained about the tardiness of my gi bill certification (which made me lose the semester), and I've been utterly hosed by this agency. I've pretty much lost all faith in universal healthcare and more socialized safety nets, etc... It's loving pathetic.

I forgot lesson the third: there is always someone worse off than myself. That sucks immensely and I'm definitely going to prepare for next semester so I'm not stressing over rent at the last minute.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I was overpaid in housing allowance. Obviously, the person I should go to is worthless. What should I do?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sarah posted:

I was overpaid in housing allowance. Obviously, the person I should go to is worthless. What should I do?

Report it to the VA. It's also possible it's not an actual overpayment. Either way, call them and verify.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I dropped a class last month and went down to 10/12. I told him, in person, and he calculated what I should be getting and VA Once wouldn't accept the change. I left his office with only a promise that he would get it fixed. I should be getting $200 less. I knew he would mess it up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Call that VA number and set that money aside for when they inevitably snatch it from your bank account.

This number: 1-888-442-4551

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 1, 2012

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I hosed up with school when I was 18 and just stopped going to close. When I start back to college do I have to give them this transcript or can I just use my high school one?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Reverand maynard posted:

I hosed up with school when I was 18 and just stopped going to close. When I start back to college do I have to give them this transcript or can I just use my high school one?

You have to provide them with the transcript. Make sure in your admission essay you just say that you done hosed up. It happens.

Do note that you must have a clear balance before going to school - if you owe that school money nobody will admit you until it's paid. Your GI Bill will not cover things like this :(

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Vasudus this is for you, but really for anyone that has an opinion:

I applied to a number of schools, a few of which had application deadlines prior to 1 March, but most of which were 1 Mar deadlines. For some of those 1 Mar Deadline schools my transcripts just arrived there probably about 5 days ago.

My question is, now that the deadline is passed, given that they only finally received my transcripts in the last few days (which is fine since they were postmarked prior to 1 Mar), how long should I give them before I start bothering their admissions offices?

I have distracted myself as well as possible for 12 days now, goons, but that self-control is starting to wear out. :ohdear:

Xanzar
Oct 7, 2011

Rrail posted:

I'd give them a call today. Start by asking if you are still in the application process at all. If they say yes, ask how far along, etc. If no, ask them how you can get it started despite the missed deadline. It shows them that you are interested, albeit late.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xanzar posted:

I'd give them a call today. Start by asking if you are still in the application process at all. If they say yes, ask how far along, etc. If no, ask them how you can get it started despite the missed deadline. It shows them that you are interested, albeit late.

Ok, cool. I read on a bunch of their sites that it takes 7-10 days for them to process their mail so I figured it's possible they literally haven't even opened the transcripts yet.

Xanzar
Oct 7, 2011

Rrail posted:

Ok, cool. I read on a bunch of their sites that it takes 7-10 days for them to process their mail so I figured it's possible they literally haven't even opened the transcripts yet.

It will be a quick phone call most likely. I can't imagine it will piss them off so much that they'd shred your app. They might not have gotten to it yet, but you can also ask how strict they are with their deadline.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xanzar posted:

It will be a quick phone call most likely. I can't imagine it will piss them off so much that they'd shred your app. They might not have gotten to it yet, but you can also ask how strict they are with their deadline.

Right on. The rest of my day is spoken for but I have tomorrow off so I'll spend some of it on the phone. :) Thanks man.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Rrail posted:

Right on. The rest of my day is spoken for but I have tomorrow off so I'll spend some of it on the phone. :) Thanks man.

Just some words of encouragement - don't be anxious about calling admissions. Just think how relatively easy your phone call is compared to all these parents they probably get calling about little Jane/Johnny.

I was on the phone with my top choice school SO MUCH because my various waivers were glitching their system and my application wasn't getting considered. I was polite to them and the dude told me he marked me in my application how patient and considerate I was (maybe that was bullshit, but he sounded sincere). A week later I e-mailed and asked for an early look at my application and they gave me a decision right then, 4 months early.

But yeah, good luck, you'll be fine.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sharkbomb posted:

Just some words of encouragement - don't be anxious about calling admissions. Just think how relatively easy your phone call is compared to all these parents they probably get calling about little Jane/Johnny.

I was on the phone with my top choice school SO MUCH because my various waivers were glitching their system and my application wasn't getting considered. I was polite to them and the dude told me he marked me in my application how patient and considerate I was (maybe that was bullshit, but he sounded sincere). A week later I e-mailed and asked for an early look at my application and they gave me a decision right then, 4 months early.

But yeah, good luck, you'll be fine.

Oh drat son! That makes me all kinds of excited.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Anyone else still waiting for acceptance letters :sigh:

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes, from 10 skewls.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Anyone else still waiting for acceptance letters :sigh:
Yes. I have gotten on likely letter and I am waiting on 4 other schools.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

So I have all As in my classes. Getting my BAH without interruption. It is spring break, so I decided to take the girlfriend to Florida. We're staying with her rich grandparents in a nice little town near Destin and Panama City. Ate so much sushi, crab legs, SHRAMPS, and crab rangoon at this awesome buffet. Life is freaking great. FTN.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So there's no proper "Separating out of the Military" thread but I do have a question that many of you probably had to deal with.

What the hell did you all do to prepare for going from full-time job to college student financially? Are some of you working now or living off of savings?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you live in a not-poo poo State your unemployment + GI Bill will be more than E-4 pay.

I had like 12k in savings but I burned through a lot of it because I like to live ~!*fly*!~.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

HeyEng posted:

So there's no proper "Separating out of the Military" thread but I do have a question that many of you probably had to deal with.

What the hell did you all do to prepare for going from full-time job to college student financially? Are some of you working now or living off of savings?

Had 12 in the bank when I left.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Alright cool. I'm on target to hit 20K+. Didn't realize that unemployment could be collected while using the GI Bill. That makes things much easier.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

HeyEng posted:

Alright cool. I'm on target to hit 20K+. Didn't realize that unemployment could be collected while using the GI Bill. That makes things much easier.

Yeah, I found this out when it was too late because I had HEARD you couldn't collect unemployment while a full time student, was too loving dumb to check for myself and missed out on a ton of cash. :(

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

HeyEng posted:

You can get pell grants too.

My family is very jealous of this whole situation. Brother-in-law made smug comments about being able to keep high grades while working full time and I coined the phrase "GI Bill envy".

I know I had an easier time in the service than some, but it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine and I earned by GI Bill dealing with stupid, childish bullshit just like everyone else. Civilians just don't get it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sarah posted:

You can get pell grants too.

My family is very jealous of this whole situation. Brother-in-law made smug comments about being able to keep high grades while working full time and I coined the phrase "GI Bill envy".

I know I had an easier time in the service than some, but it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine and I earned by GI Bill dealing with stupid, childish bullshit just like everyone else. Civilians just don't get it.

Pell Grants? I'll have to google that. But thanks all for the info. That's one less thing to worry about as much.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

HeyEng posted:

Bought a house last April, fixed up all the priority (for us, anyway) stuff I could while I still had a job making good money- new appliances, etc. I saved up about ten grand while I knew I could. Got laid off while I was taking classes part-time, decided to go full-time while I could.

GI Bill covers my mortgage, power bill and water/sewage/trash. My wife works for the government, her salary covers the rest of expenses plus living expenses. We cut our lifestyle back pretty drastically- no vacations, minimum of eating out or impulse spending. Both our cars are paid for. At that point, we actually still make enough to come out a little ahead month to month; we've only had to dip into savings twice for emergencies.

That's how I can take 20 credit hours and not work. Still, I doubt I can do this for two years until I finish my bachelor's; at some point I'll likely have to go back to work to replenish savings. A lot of what works for me is just unique to my living situation.

(I'm not using my unemployment benefits, either)

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

HeyEng posted:

Pell Grants? I'll have to google that. But thanks all for the info. That's one less thing to worry about as much.

You fill out your FAFSA(after your do this year's tax return) and get grants like the Pell Grant, pretty sweet deal. I usually get another state one and a school one also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
HALLELUIAH I got my benefits listed on eBenefits. It says 1 month 26 days used so far but I haven't been payed yet, so when should I expect payment?

• Locked thread