Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Has anyone received their cars for last months King of the Track event (Charger "Rampage" edition on Laguna Seca)? Seems like it's taking a lot longer than the previous one did, which if I recall correctly, got sent out about the time of the next month's DLC pack. I just want my prize for driving that horrible Charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
They handed out the VIP cars for those guys but none of the unicorns have been handed out yet.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

They've said there's been a delay in getting the unicorn prize cars out, but they're making an effort to do that this week. I'm guessing they're putting full priority on having the title update fixed and ready ASAP since the servers are broken as hell right now.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I set some times in Rivals mode for Fauxpas to beat :shobon:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

L_Harrison posted:

Might as well not even try Fax Piss.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Pinky the Cube posted:

From johniwanna (link):

So, I think I'm going to give it one last shot tonight. Honestly, I don't think I can shave much more without really spending some time, but I do know where I have at least a second waiting for me if I could just nail those elements and finish cleanly. It looks like my estimate is going to be far off even if I improve my time significantly. I'll let it be a lesson to me that you folks are pretty awesome and some of you are unbelievable.

what the gently caress is with this guy :argh:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Forza 1 just came in, time for some nostalgia.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Ringo Star Get posted:

We should all get copies and do blue mountain multi!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Falken posted:

We should all get copies and do blue mountain multi!

Original Live servers are long gone. :(

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Sadly yes. There are some things in Forza 1 that I miss in Forza 4, namely:

-All the cool tracks
-Awesome soundtrack
-You damage your engine if you bang it off of the rev limiter
-You get damage from bottoming out
-No "invalid laps" if you go off course, just an additional timer that adds time to your clock
-Nighttime Tokyo racetrack

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The Automation Car Tycoon game that someone posted earlier in here (I think anyway) is looking pretty promising at this stage - they just released a new walkthrough video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bVYeCj8DNaA!

More details: http://automationgame.com/
Looks pretty impressive for an indie-built automotive design game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

-You damage your engine if you bang it off of the rev limiter
-You get damage from bottoming out

I think these two things still happen. When I have simulation damage turned on, my engine will just randomly take damage if I am braking really hard and doing it completely wrong.

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010
Acquiring Fanatec gear might actually be on the menu for 2012. The wife wanting an iPad 3 was the crack in the door I needed to kick it open and justify my "need" for a toy steering wheel that makes driving my pretend cars around more fun.

It seems a full setup with an Elite wheel (stand, kits, pedals, etc) will run upwards of $800. Holy poo poo.

Meanwhile there is the CSR Value Pack XL which has the elite pedals, the shifter -- almost everything except the stand --, for under $400. Unless I'm totally missing something?

I know this has come up a few times in this thread already, and forgive me for beating the dead horse some more, but considering you have the same pedals, shifter, and stand, does the Elite wheel really live up to the difference in price? It's quite astounding. I've gathered there is an undeniable difference in quality plus the Elite wheels seem to get new firmware more frequently, or maybe much sooner, than the other wheels. Is that about right? I won't go cheap on the pedals, but I am finding it really hard to justify the wheel.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

I think these two things still happen. When I have simulation damage turned on, my engine will just randomly take damage if I am braking really hard and doing it completely wrong.

Only if you downshift early. Just bouncing it off the rev limiter normally will not damage your engine.

Bottoming out does nothing to your car. I have scientifically proven this through my complete inability to avoid making tunes for every vehicle I own which bottom out HARD at the 'ring; it never damages anything but my pride.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I said come in! posted:

Original Live servers are long gone. :(

XLink Kai still works for anything that supports LAN play, IIRC most Xbox1 titles still did. It wasn't until the 360 that Live-only multiplayer really caught on.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the consensus on assists with the controller? I usually drive with everything off except normal steering because I absolutely cannot use simulation without horribly overcorrecting even in a straight line. Is traction control really worth it on the overpowered cars? The Aero SSC is completely undriveable without it and a lot of the R2 and R1 cars really need it (moreso the R2 ones), and I see most top times in A+ cars use it and yet the Goonsquad on the rival boards doesn't seem to.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I'm on a controller, and my assists right now are autoclutch and normal steering

Anything over A and not AWD gets TCS

Nords and Fujimi get braking line only

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Things I want in Forza 5; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0AzwtstgdU0!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pinky the Cube posted:

Acquiring Fanatec gear might actually be on the menu for 2012. The wife wanting an iPad 3 was the crack in the door I needed to kick it open and justify my "need" for a toy steering wheel that makes driving my pretend cars around more fun.

It seems a full setup with an Elite wheel (stand, kits, pedals, etc) will run upwards of $800. Holy poo poo.

Meanwhile there is the CSR Value Pack XL which has the elite pedals, the shifter -- almost everything except the stand --, for under $400. Unless I'm totally missing something?

I know this has come up a few times in this thread already, and forgive me for beating the dead horse some more, but considering you have the same pedals, shifter, and stand, does the Elite wheel really live up to the difference in price? It's quite astounding. I've gathered there is an undeniable difference in quality plus the Elite wheels seem to get new firmware more frequently, or maybe much sooner, than the other wheels. Is that about right? I won't go cheap on the pedals, but I am finding it really hard to justify the wheel.

The CSR wheel is good, good enough for me that is. My only gripe is that as an early adopter, I had to put about 6-700 dollars in for what costs about 500 now. I'd say the elite pedals are a must, as the load cell feels really good for the brakes. Much better than just a lever with barely any resistance that just goes straight to locking up unless you are really careful. The load cell feels like a real brake, and it's much easier to get whatever braking you want.

Don't get your hopes up with firmware for the elite wheel. The CSR wheel came out and it was king of poo poo mountain and got one firmware fix. Then the Elite wheel came out and Fanatec all but forgot the CSR wheel even existed. They kept saying it was because they were focusing on fixes for the elite wheel, but after all the fixes came out nothing else was said. The original Porsche wheels might as well not even exist. With the new Clubsport Wheel coming out, I can forsee them ignoring the CSR Elite wheel for quite some time while they focus on Clubsport and the various wheel rims they will come out with.

Chances are auto clutch will never come to the CSR wheel, even though it should be simple to add in (seriously, just add an option and some logic to add a clutch in whenever the shifter is moved or the paddles are tapped). And whatever cool features they put on the Clubsport will probably never go to the CSR Elite. Even if it does, good luck finding it. They don't host the firmware anywhere, and it only ever gets mentioned on a blog on the 911wheel website. I asked support about a problem I had with my wheel, and they sent me a mediafire link to download new firmware. Why isn't that on the website?

Fanatec might make really good wheels, but their support sucks terribly. Also, be wary of the wheel stand. It's not too bad once you get into the zone, but it wobbles like crazy. it seems like it should be physically impossible with tightening, but the vertical post that the wheel attaches to has a lot of play in it. It is secured by a hand turned bolt with a pointed end that goes into a hole on the base. But it doesn't line up right, so the bolt doesn't go all the way into the hole and it has some play. It really annoys me because I don't like things I can't tighten securely, plus it was 130 bucks so it should be more secure than a bold that I can't tighten with a wrench. They could have at least had the handle for hand tightening and then a metal hex head beneath that to tighten with a wrench.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 13, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Things I want in Forza 5; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0AzwtstgdU0!

Including the camera view for replays, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

xzzy posted:

Including the camera view for replays, right?

Of course! Hopefully we'll even be able to create our own camera views.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pees With Boner posted:

What's the consensus on assists with the controller?

The only assist I vary for controller use is steering. Normal for gamepad, simulation for wheel. Simulation is just too edgy for me without the feedback of the wheel. Lately I've just not played on gamepad, but most people don't have a cockpit in their living room so that's usually not an option.

As for everything else, autoclutch everywhere but drag races and SIARPC, TCS off, STS off, ABS off. The last one took me the longest. I've used manual and STS has been off since day one, TCS I gave up on with FM2, and last ABS when I got the wheel late in FM3.

On another note, I went after the Weismann challenge again since the challenge guy beat my old time and somehow that car just clicked with me. Pulled a nice 1:09.xxx on the 4th or 5th lap with a few botched corners early on. My roommate's ghost led me by up to a few lengths through the first half of the track, so I know there's still some good time left to make up.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 13, 2012

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pinky the Cube posted:

does the Elite wheel really live up to the difference in price?
Yes, it does. I was unsure if it'd be worth the upgrade as I wasn't positive it'd be so noticeably better than the PWTS I used for two years. But it is.

That being said, you will not be unhappy with the CSR/GT2/PWTS wheels. They are fantastic as well. The Elite has a stronger and smoother feel, a finer degree of control, and a sturdier construction. The paddle shifters also have a better range of motion and a more positive tactile feedback that you've shifted a gear than do the CSR/GT2/PWTS, which is more like a switch. Not to mention the Elite's got Autoclutch. But both the GT2 and the PWTS are nicer than the G25 I've got in terms of realistic feel - both are smoother and less grainy/notchy feeling as the wheel turns.

Will someone who hasn't used a regular Porsche wheel regularly notice how big the difference between the CSR Elite and CSR/PWTS/GT2 is? I don't know. I think most people would be very happy with the CSR. The sheer difference in immersion and activity that a wheel, any wheel, will provide you is a bit of a shock to most systems. It's a whole new game with a wheel.

It seems like people tend to like the rim on the Porsche wheels (full leather on the PWTS, full Alcantara on the GT2) a little better than the standard CSR wheel (which is a rubber coating on plastic with faux Alcantara grips at 9 and 3) I'm not sure the original wheels are still available new though.

I have not used the Elite pedals yet, but the Clubsports are miles ahead of anything else out there for their price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do the clubsport pedals have an actual motor for the ABS? I noticed that with the elites and setting the ABS setting on the CSR wheel, it just vibrates the wheel when I get to that amount of brake.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

My only complaint with the Clubsport Pedals is the infamous mouse squeak you'll get it. Using lube helps but after a while the squeak returns. The worst is that it is a high-pitched squeak so if you're a late-night player this can be a hassle to sleeping family.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

L_Harrison posted:

Keep your eyes on the news to hear about my eventual suicide later tonight when I get home and find out how badly you devastated my times. :suicide:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Keep your eyes on the news to hear about my eventual suicide later tonight when I get home and find out how badly you devastated my times. :suicide:

No! Don't do that! If you do, I'll be the only one here who unironically likes the Weismann.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Do the clubsport pedals have an actual motor for the ABS? I noticed that with the elites and setting the ABS setting on the CSR wheel, it just vibrates the wheel when I get to that amount of brake.

Yeah they do, with adjustable vibration point and intensity.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

No! Don't do that! If you do, I'll be the only one here who unironically likes the Weismann.

I'd like to come out of the closet as a Wiesmann liker too. Level 9 affinity and climbing though I suppose that doesn't mean too much since I have every (well except for 3) manufacturer at level 9 at least.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
GOONSPEC BTCC POST INCOMING

After intensive testing and tuning, I've got 6 cars tuned for Silverstone on Wednesday, with some interesting time breakdowns:

code:
Suzuki SX4        1:43.9
Suzuki Liana      1:40.6
Honda CRZ         1:38.8
Mazda Familia     1:37.1
Alfa Romeo MiTo   1:36.6
Nissan Versa      1:33.9
As long as the Versa is still fair game, I'm running it Wednesday. If anyone would like to join us but don't have a car, I'll slap a livery on one of the other cars and share it with the AUGR garage, or you can message me and I'll gift you one so you can laugh at my "tuning". GT is Xander I Crews.
(Keep in mind I am a mediocre driver/tuner at best, so this is more of a lazy goon option.)

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010
johniwanna just posted that he's quit trying and is keeping his final time of 2:11:598. Grats to those who beat him away...and may you never race that challenge again. I, for one, have never burnt out on a new DLC car so quickly before.

In other news, thanks for the feedback about the Fanatec gear. That kind of info was exactly what I was looking for. That said, I'm still completely undecided on how to proceed. CSR, most likely.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Yessss! That's one more unicorn to add to my slowly increasing stock. By the end of this month I should have 8/17. Also on that note does anyone know if T10 have conceded that the ingame economy is perma broken after the random credit fiasco and we'll never see a Unicorn in the Auction House necessitating them having all these challenges? Also why do they keep turning it on and off?

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Ringo Star Get posted:

That reminds me, I still have Forza 2 if anyone wants to buy it off me.

Since nobody on eBay seems to :(

speedtek fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 13, 2012

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Pinky the Cube posted:

johniwanna just posted that he's quit trying and is keeping his final time of 2:11:598. Grats to those who beat him away...and may you never race that challenge again. I, for one, have never burnt out on a new DLC car so quickly before.

In other news, thanks for the feedback about the Fanatec gear. That kind of info was exactly what I was looking for. That said, I'm still completely undecided on how to proceed. CSR, most likely.

I wish that challenge would have been in more common car brand. My Weismann ranking is around level 10 now and I will probably never touch any of those cars again.

As far as wheels, I have a standard CSR and it basically turned Forza into a new game for me. My biggest complaint is really with the software, Forza has a slightly notchy feel to the steering that isn't present when I try the wheel on PC games and the track topography isn't detailed enough that I feel like it really makes use of the force feedback mechanisms. So I don't know how much the more expensive one would improve the driving feel. I do think there's room for improvement with the precision of the wheel at high sensitivity settings, when the CSR recenters itself extremely fast it oscillates a bit (I suspect due to inertia). This might be why the more expensive model has two motors.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

Ringo Star Get posted:

-Awesome soundtrack

Um, Forza 4 has one of the most impressive soundtracks I have ever seen in a video game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehhh, I don't know about that. I'm not really a fan of the FM4 soundtrack either, but I suppose that's entirely a matter of opinion.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Forza 2 has undoubtedly the best sound track ever. I've left it on just to jam out to the tracks.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

YF19pilot posted:

It wasn't as bad as I feared! Time to get crackin!

Edit: 2.06:770 (#442) on the Weismann, ain't trying the loving Corvette.

Tanz-Kommandant fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 13, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pinky the Cube posted:

I laughed after going around the track once and clocking in around 2:22; the Wiessman is a horrible piece of poo poo and boy trying to tame it to get a decent time isn't fun in the least nor will I be trying again. Neat sounding engine though. Congrats on whomever managed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Juan Pablo Montoya posted a new time last night on the KOTT - 1:32.117 clean. Glad I still have him beat.

• Locked thread