Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Just keep doing legs consistently and eventually you won't have terrible agonizing pain all the time.

Also, do stuff you probably can't:
-Stay hydrated
-Get a lot of sleep (yeah right)
-Keep eating that protein (jack links, whey, tuna MREs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

smertrioslol posted:

We're gonna go spot each other in the gym. I can't wait for squat day.

Speaking of, leg day in the desert sucks. Being dehydrated most of the time, and than being on your feet for 10+ hours. Anyone have any tips on how to avoid horrible debilitating soreness after leg day?
Stretch, stretch, stretch. Stretch your whole lower body before and after working out, and before bed. The next day, stretch again and do a few sprints to work out the lactic acid. On my leg days I can barely walk down the stairs to leave the gym on some days, but I do tons of leg stretches and I'm rarely too sore to work out the next day.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Oh, I'm never too sore to work out the next day...I just hate the horrible agony I go through every Wednesday/Thursday. I'm pretty sure the sleep thing is where I get screwed the worst. I consume more protein than is probably necessary; the sacrifices we make to get SWOLE.

I'll definitely give stretching more a try. I do stretch quite a bit, but I'm sure I could always do more.

In other fitness related news, today there was a man who:
1. Gelled his hair for the gym
2. Grunted his most manly grunt with each and every rep of each and every set
3. Kept his music blasting between sets so when he talked to his friend he had no idea that he was broadcasting himself to the entire free weight section

There should be a rule that you can just hit these people. With no warning.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Breakfast of champions

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
C4 so good. Except it makes me want to poop immediately after taking it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Helldump Immunity posted:

Just a little revenge for what you and that little tart AB have been doing while I am away

:iceburn:

Took you that long to get the ball gag out, eh?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been consistently going up 20% per week on most lifts, I am wondering when the plateau is going to strike.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I decided to start playing basketball again, and the first thing I do is gently caress up my knee. :downs: I'm gonna stick to lifting for now...

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Godholio posted:

Both. The one on my shift constantly gave people poo poo about eating bread and rice. gently caress YOU BUDDY THE SUSHI HERE IS AWESOME :mad:

Paleo is the loving dumbest bullshit. The loving book admits that they don't even know what cavemen ate. It's a low carb diet justified pseudoscience. There was a picture on W&W that had a flow chart that said something like "did someone have to kill it? was it found in a nest?" If they just said "eat whole foods and complex carbs" it would be OK. Then you have the hardcore advocates saying that grains are the root of all diseases...yeah because cavemen lived such long, healthy lives didn't they?

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Goons, I beseech thee;

I've been sandbagging for too long and I need help. My last record APFT was 46 pushups, 15:30 2-mile, and like 74 sit-ups.

I used to get 290s-300s no sweat but I've become a disgusting fat body. What can I do to improve my pushups and 2-mile? It seems like I lose my pushups if I'm not working on them literally every single day.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ashmole posted:

Paleo is the loving dumbest bullshit. The loving book admits that they don't even know what cavemen ate. It's a low carb diet justified pseudoscience. There was a picture on W&W that had a flow chart that said something like "did someone have to kill it? was it found in a nest?" If they just said "eat whole foods and complex carbs" it would be OK. Then you have the hardcore advocates saying that grains are the root of all diseases...yeah because cavemen lived such long, healthy lives didn't they?

He was kind of stumped when I mentioned that cavemen died out.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

TheUnhorse posted:

working on them literally every single day.

You already knew the answer!

HIIT and sprints will help you get your run time down.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Diver Dick posted:

Breakfast of champions

Oh how I miss C4. I was recommended to try RAVAGE at GNC because it doesn't have the ingredient that the army is cracking down on... and it tastes absolutely horrible to the point that I can't take it. Screw this I'm going back to C4 or Jack3d.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I finally gave in to see what the big fuss everyone is making about Jack3d. Next thing i know I'm in the gym for 3 hours and did 10 reps of 135, 10reps of 185, 8reps of 205, and 6 reps of 225.... I usually never go pass 205. Then dumbbell pressed 65, 75, 85, and 95 at reps of 9, 9, 8, 5. That poo poo is like loving crack.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Have fun with your kidney failure.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Little less than a month out from my record APFT. I've started incorporating push-ups and a lot more ab work into my lifting days and have started doing longer runs. I'll probably start mixing in 400-800 meter work this week or next week.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

psydude posted:

Little less than a month out from my record APFT. I've started incorporating push-ups and a lot more ab work into my lifting days and have started doing longer runs. I'll probably start mixing in 400-800 meter work this week or next week.

Like someone said up above, HIIT and sprints will help your run time. A lot.

Run a 400m sprint, and than walk for the same period of time it took you to run it. Repeat 4-8 times (work your way up to 8). Try to set a pace that you can keep for each sprint.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I do sets of 40 push ups throughout the day and I videotape for form (paranoid). For sit ups, I do captain chairs and inclined sit ups. People I know said that the captain chairs helped them a lot.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ashmole posted:

I do sets of 40 push ups throughout the day and I videotape for form (paranoid). For sit ups, I do captain chairs and inclined sit ups. People I know said that the captain chairs helped them a lot.

I wouldn't sweat the perfect form too much anymore. There will probably be some dickhead NCO at your BOLC that will give too much of a gently caress about it, but after that nobody will care. Not that you shouldn't be meeting the standard, but it's nowhere near LDAC levels of dumbness.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

You really don't want to do pt in front of a bunch of soldiers with lovely or arguably lovely form though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

You really don't want to do pt in front of a bunch of soldiers with lovely or arguably lovely form though.

Right, because that's exactly what I was advocating right there.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Ashmole posted:

Weighted sit ups or similar always helped me with normal situps, plus it cuts the tedium / tailbone murder of endless bodyweight sets. Also you can scale it heavier instead of longer as you get stronger, and it will translate into endurance gains.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
gently caress getting bloody buttcheeks from pt test situps. Also rower hurts my tailbone even worse than situps. loving army.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

So while at ALC I been attempting to bulk up. Day after day of 3 meals at the chow hall, tuna/protein shakes in between meals, junk food whenever I do, a med pizza every night. I gained only 2 pounds and lost some definition in my abs. What the gently caress? This is horse poo poo. I blame all that hardcore PRT. But my bench did go up like crazy.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I only get 2 meals a day and my final meal of the day is breakfast, which is notoriously carb heavy. It sucks balls. I have to eat the same 2 things every day.

No dietary variety makes Rrail something something..

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Still no TV or beer, huh?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Kaliber posted:

So while at ALC I been attempting to bulk up. Day after day of 3 meals at the chow hall, tuna/protein shakes in between meals, junk food whenever I do, a med pizza every night. I gained only 2 pounds and lost some definition in my abs. What the gently caress? This is horse poo poo. I blame all that hardcore PRT. But my bench did go up like crazy.

Medium pizza does not translate into definition in your abs. Cut that out.

rrail posted:

I only get 2 meals a day and my final meal of the day is breakfast, which is notoriously carb heavy. It sucks balls. I have to eat the same 2 things every day.

No dietary variety makes Rrail something something..

I eat two pieces of chicken + vegetable for breakfast and scrambled eggs + everything (no cheese) for lunch. Tuna between meals. Protein shake after lifting. Every. Single. Day. Chow hall food makes me sad. But hey, I look great!

I think a portion of the cash I made on this deployment is going to go to making my own crossfit garage gym. It doesn't look like it would be THAT expensive (especially when you have a large amount of disposable income sitting in your bank account that will probably otherwise go to beer).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

Yeah seriously. Where do you think all 1500 of the calories from that pizza are going? Your muscles?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

Yeah seriously. Where do you think all 1500 of the calories from that pizza are going? Your muscles?
The cheese and grease lubricate his muscles and allow them to operate more efficiently :v:

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

grover posted:

Still no TV or beer, huh?

It's going to have been something like 255 days before I get to have a beer. Or a girl. There's a very realistic chance that scene plays out in my life.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

smertrioslol posted:

It doesn't sound like he's trying to get cut, but rather bulk up. A lot of people will "dirty" bulk to get weight on since its easier and cheaper.

Just starting my summer lean down cycle next week. Gonna suck cutting down my carbs. :(

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

smertrioslol posted:

I think a portion of the cash I made on this deployment is going to go to making my own crossfit garage gym. It doesn't look like it would be THAT expensive (especially when you have a large amount of disposable income sitting in your bank account that will probably otherwise go to beer).

Like how much are we talking?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Whip Slagcheek posted:

It doesn't sound like he's trying to get cut, but rather bulk up. A lot of people will "dirty" bulk to get weight on since its easier and cheaper.

Just starting my summer lean down cycle next week. Gonna suck cutting down my carbs. :(

Clean eating wins every time! At least for me. If I eat anything remotely unhealthy, I'll look in the mirror the next day and feel like I gained 10 pounds of fat. In reality, I'm probably just crazy and imagining things.

Rrail posted:

Like how much are we talking?

Around a thousand dollars or something depending on what brands and if I buy new. Pretty much just need a couple of medicine balls, a bench, a squat rack, an olympic bar, some weight, and a set of rings for muscle ups. Gonna just make rings out of PVC pipe like how the site says. I havn't done any serious research yet though, so it could be a lot more.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Holy poo poo am I glad we do PT in the mornings. I was testing my pace on the 1 mile Benning track, it's 86 degrees (feels like 89), and gently caress was that hard. Ran a 7:15 but gently caress did that feel a lot harder.

EDIT: My phone is full of poo poo, its 83 but after running in New England weather for 9 months it's such a change.

Ashmole fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 26, 2012

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
DON'T FORGET KETTLE BELLS!!!!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ashmole posted:

Holy poo poo am I glad we do PT in the mornings. I was testing my pace on the 1 mile Benning track, it's 86 degrees (feels like 89), and gently caress was that hard. Ran a 7:15 but gently caress did that feel a lot harder.

EDIT: My phone is full of poo poo, its 83 but after running in New England weather for 9 months it's such a change.

Yeah, when we would start PT at 4:30 AM at Leonard Wood it was already around 75-80 most days.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

smertrioslol posted:

I eat two pieces of chicken + vegetable for breakfast and scrambled eggs + everything (no cheese) for lunch. Tuna between meals. Protein shake after lifting. Every. Single. Day. Chow hall food makes me sad. But hey, I look great!

Huh? I'm not trying to lean out. Trying to bulk up back to the 180 I use to be before I got to Hawaii. Currently at 166 and trying to get up to 175. Not worried about my abs at all. I can see them through my shirt when I put on underarmor so it's all cool. Just eating as sloppy/much as possible to put on some fast weight. As gross as it makes me feel, it's just as unhealthy to eat in the chow hall anyways. When I'm done with ALC in about 2 weeks it'll be chicken/tuna/protein shakes about 10 times a day like when I was bigger. On the bright note, my shoulders/upper body has been looking massive lately compared to when I been cutting in preparation for my PT test.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 27, 2012

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm going to cut May-August, about 12-14 weeks total immediately before I go back home. It's rough here because the food is loving garbage meant for fat people.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kaliber posted:

Huh? I'm not trying to lean out. Trying to bulk up back to the 180 I use to be before I got to Hawaii. Currently at 166 and trying to get up to 175. Not worried about my abs at all. I can see them through my shirt when I put on underarmor so it's all cool. Just eating as sloppy/much as possible to put on some fast weight. As gross as it makes me feel, it's just as unhealthy to eat in the chow hall anyways. When I'm done with ALC in about 2 weeks it'll be chicken/tuna/protein shakes about 10 times a day like when I was bigger. On the bright note, my shoulders/upper body has been looking massive lately compared to when I been cutting in preparation for my PT test.

Right, but what he's pointing out is that the reason why you're losing definition in your abs from throwing down a medium pizza every night is because it's making you fat, not muscular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

psydude posted:

Right, but what he's pointing out is that the reason why you're losing definition in your abs from throwing down a medium pizza every night is because it's making you fat, not muscular.

Even clean bulking results in loss of definition. Hence you cut back down and shape the mass you added.