Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

JohnnyMondo posted:

I bought the MP3, but didn't realize it's only the A side online. I guess I'll have to buy the vinyl as well...

Surus is eating my paychecks these days

Redeye has by far the best shipping prices. Surus usually offers a digital download with the purchase and is better for the artist. It's a toss up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Decline posted:

I bought it, it just shipped. It's only two tracks so it's probably 45 on each side.

Spoken like someone who doesn't own enough Broken Beat releases. Yes that one track side could be 45rpm, but it could also be 33. And you know what chances are it'll sound just as good either speed which is a right bugger sometimes actually. Oh the fun I had ripping this track for the guide. I still can't remember if it ended up 45 or 33, sounded good either way.

Anyway folks, I hope you enjoyed those two old and crackly files I shared yesterday (actually I hope everyone who wanted them was able to download them). But that's old stuff, that's in the past. Today is Friday which means it's time for my usual inept New Release Round-up. Let's take a look at what I think will be the hot stuff that'll be put on the shelves of your friendly local record shop over the next week or so.

Firstly just to prove I wasn't lying last week here's Appleblim's remixes of Crazy P – Changes. Pretty drat good if you ask me.

LAS – Memories b/w Mental Judgement (Box Clever)
Returning with a new release on Black Box records reserve team label Box Clever, Finnish producer LAS brings a deep 'n' deadly heavy duty roller that'll go down nicely with those of you who like your Dubstep moody and enveloped in a cloud of thick smoke (strictly Mayfair Superkings originated smoke of course). Some heavy weight pressure that I think could work right in with your Kryptic Minds or DJ Madd etc 12-inches.

Romare - Meditations On Afrocentrism (Black Acre)
One of those rare occurances where the cover art probably matches the music. Cut up, screwed up, twisted up, stretched out vocals are the main theme here, sprinkled liberally over the EPs four tracks. The actual music fits in well with that Footcraby/Swamp81 style, not so crazy and with more than enough rhythm and energy in there to keep the best of you on your toes. Feelings and snippets of Jazz, Soul, Funk and Hip-Hop are smoothly laid into the foundations of the different tracks too, which I guess really fits in with the whole title of the EP.

Royal-T – Inside The Ride b/w Cool Down (Rinse)
Oh my days! You know it's getting ever closer to summer when tracks like this start appearing on the racks. Awesome energetic, pumping Garage/Bassline action. Drums that'll keep ya backside moving while the massive bassline will get even the toughest of gents skankin' on down. Icey synths remind you you're not quite out of winter yet, but we're getting there. Time soon to wake up from our hibernation and spend the summer boogieing on down like it's supposed to be.

Photek & Pinch – Acid Reign(Pinch Dubplate Version) b/w M25FM (Photek Productions)
Now I know some of you haven't been liking the recent Photek stuff, which makes you total weirdos in my opinion as how you can't like stuff like this release I'll never know. Pinch's mix of Acid Reign is an incredible, rolling bassline monstrosity with it's constant waves of bass attacks that just slowly burns a hole right through you. Super caustic. Really reminds me of those early Metalheadz releases actually. M25FM is a proper Acid House inspired piece of work, even right down to that really cool, late 80s kinda hypnotic House groove. I'm eagerly awaiting Photek's new DJ Kicks release.

DRMCNT – Gangsigns EP (Gangsigns)
I have to admit I've never heard of DRMCNT until this popped up on my radar but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him now. Made by someone who probably owns way too many UR releases (which, let's face it, can never be a bad thing), this EP is a great mixing of Detroit-styled Techno, electro and UK sounds. No matter what your taste is, I have no doubt you'll find a flavour you want in one of these four cuts.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
How could you forget Redlight - Mosquito b/w Planet X??? Two huge tunes that have been around for a bit and are finally seeing an official release. I believe this one is vinyl only.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Spoken like someone who doesn't own enough Broken Beat releases. Yes that one track side could be 45rpm, but it could also be 33. And you know what chances are it'll sound just as good either speed which is a right bugger sometimes actually.

Yeah I never claim to know anymore, half the time even when it's labeled what speed it is, it's wrong. I just like being able to play tracks so, so if it's at 45 I'm a little more likely to spring for the vinyl

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Decline posted:

How could you forget Redlight - Mosquito b/w Planet X??? Two huge tunes that have been around for a bit and are finally seeing an official release. I believe this one is vinyl only.

I left that and the recent Night Slugs and Numbers releases out too! Mostly because people have already mentioned them over the past few days

Actually now I think about it I don't think anyone talked about that Kodiak release. Dammit. Well there it is.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Just got the Objekt #1 repress, Hackman - Agree to Disagree, Rinse 18, and Brandy + Coke in the mail! I ordered the Koadiak release with Rinse 18 but didn't get it (they must have combined some orders).

I've been waiting on the physical release of Agree to Disagree for AGES, feels good to finally have it in my hands. It's quite a tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbF137pFg6w

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Hey is there anything cool happening in Vancouver next weekend? My friend wants me to come down for a visit

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Speaking of Rinse. I totally miss Uncle Dugs show on a Friday as I've sadly got other less important things to do, so I took a look at what he's done the past month and wow:

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150723433979747&id=161449669746

Highlights for me are a Kid Andy interview - that's for JamesKPolk who posted in the phiz Junglist thread a Dica track that came out on his Boogie Beats label - and a 3 hour Moving Shadow special, everything from Earth Leakage Trip to that Krust remix of Dezires that I was never really too fond of but whatever. All the classics are in there.

Not too shabby if you ask me. Perfect for those who like to kick back and relax with a little Hardcore Jungle action, while hearing stories of old timers who've been at it forever.
Hahaha as it happens that show inspired my post. I don't have as much time to listen to Rinse live anymore, but I try to stay current on the Uncle Dugs shows. They're usually up by the next Monday so I have a new one every week for the commute and nothing gets me moving on a monday like 3 hours of old skool and jungle.

I want to second the Moving Shadow recommendation. It's one of the best shows he's done in my opinion. Great tracks throughout cause it was a great label, and also you can hear the sound change through time as it goes on. Plus a bunch of shouts from Moving Shadow artists talking about it, and Dugs is just really on it hosting. No interview (which are always awesome but in a different way), but if you want to see what the show's all about check it out

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

JamesKPolk posted:

Hahaha as it happens that show inspired my post. I don't have as much time to listen to Rinse live anymore, but I try to stay current on the Uncle Dugs shows. They're usually up by the next Monday so I have a new one every week for the commute and nothing gets me moving on a monday like 3 hours of old skool and jungle.

I want to second the Moving Shadow recommendation. It's one of the best shows he's done in my opinion. Great tracks throughout cause it was a great label, and also you can hear the sound change through time as it goes on. Plus a bunch of shouts from Moving Shadow artists talking about it, and Dugs is just really on it hosting. No interview (which are always awesome but in a different way), but if you want to see what the show's all about check it out

Ah well there we go then! Remember and don't miss out on the Ice Cream records stuff either! Actually while I think I've mentioned it before, anyone interested in the Ice Cream stuff DnR Vinyl have put out over the past year or so a couple EPs of some of the rarer tracks, some of which get pretty pricey if you want the originals. According to that interview it's all also up for digital downloads for you computer programmer types.

You know I hope this relaunch of Ice Cream comes good. I want a proper real product, R&S style revival. Not just mining the back catalogue, no boring digital only remixes by second rate artists of classic tunes. Though in all honesty I think it's going that way since their new comp is digital only. But you know what, gently caress it, if you don't know Ice Cream records go buy it as there's a lot of killer tracks on there.

I also finally got round to picking up the new Mark Radford Rinse mix today. I like it, probably not for everyone but if you don't mind some of that more techy House stuff then I'd say go for it. If you ask me it's proper getting ready for the night out music. Enough oomph to get you into gear but not a proper blast off send you into orbit too early kinda thang.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
Laters !

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
The Head Don Ben UFO Has A New Podcast For LWE Along With A Great Interview Here. I'm always down for new Elgato and new Falty DL

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Brock Out posted a new mixtape by Dankle full of Off Me Nut goodness, if that's your persuasion.

http://soundcloud.com/brock-out/brock-out-mixtape-023-dankle

quote:

1. Dankle - Modern Milk
2. Dankle - Macbook
3. Dankle - Dolphin
4. Phatworld - 130 Untitled
5. Walter Ego - Calm Down (Phatworld Remix)
6. Rico Tubbs - Bass In Your Face (Phatworld Remix)
7. Dankle - Real Dons
8. Dankle - Melonman
9. Submerse - Otaku of the Dead (Phatworld speed garage mix)
10. Dankle - Fivergang
11. Phatworld - Onion Ring Piece
12. Squire of Gothos -Wanabechumbawumbamegamix
13. Phatworld - King of the Land
14. Phatworld - Dont Be Gobe
15. Phatworld - Certified Dons
16. Platapussy - Positive vibes
17. Spongebob Squarewave - Battyman (gently caress Rrritalin) hosted by Rrritalin
18. Droid - Loose Cannon
19. Droid - Droidersmobbo
20. Droid - Tearout Riddim
21. Off Me Nut Crew (Phive) - Keep On Movin

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Brock Out posted a new mixtape by Dankle full of Off Me Nut goodness, if that's your persuasion.

http://soundcloud.com/brock-out/brock-out-mixtape-023-dankle

And if it's not your persuasion you're probably a weirdo 'cause if you ask me this is great. Makes me wish I had a 1.0ltr Corsa with a dodgy Halfords exhaust back in the day, 'cause this is the soundtrack to blare outta it. A weird Chumbawumba/Spice Girls/Hardcore blend thing shouldn't technically exist. But it does and it's wonderful.

And know what else is wonderful? The new Plan B single. Whatever people might say I can't help but get a big smile on my face when you get a proper gently caress you tune. Subtle or not. If loving DJ Fresh can get to #1 twice with those tunes then this had better do the same. Maybe the girls will buy it first thinking he's still doing some blue-eyed soul.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I'm a fan of dubstep but I'm not particularly knowledgeable on it. I love 2562 - Aerial, and I love Skream's s/t but that is all that has really caught my ear. I recently heard this track however which certainly caught my ear.
http://youtu.be/Ih3S-ECrJyY

So I suppose I'm asking for some suggestions of other dubstep along the lines of that track, and those albums I just mentioned?

I've heard Digital Mystikz and most of the other big names but they have done nothing for me.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Killsion posted:

I'm a fan of dubstep but I'm not particularly knowledgeable on it. I love 2562 - Aerial, and I love Skream's s/t but that is all that has really caught my ear. I recently heard this track however which certainly caught my ear.
http://youtu.be/Ih3S-ECrJyY

So I suppose I'm asking for some suggestions of other dubstep along the lines of that track, and those albums I just mentioned?

I've heard Digital Mystikz and most of the other big names but they have done nothing for me.

If you liked that Kahn single I'd suggest taking a look at what else Black Box Records (and their sub-label Box Clever which released that single) have put out as they're all generally on that kinda vibe. Big artists on the Black Box label are Kryptic Minds (though their early stuff was some pretty solid Drum & Bass, just as a warning) and DJ Madd (who's album has just came out this week, and a few months back released a budget Black Box compilation mix thing).

Box Clever generally deals with smaller or lesser known artists. I'd say check up Chemical Records pages on Black Box here, and Box Clever here so you can check samples etc (Chemical own the labels), though they might only be showing in stock or recent items but it might give you an idea of that sound.

As any proper dance music is, it's a singles game rather than an album thing. Though on saying that Youngsta's Rinse mix CD is great and I'd suggest you buy it as it may be right up your alley. Again you can use Chemical or another record shop to hear samples.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

And if it's not your persuasion you're probably a weirdo 'cause if you ask me this is great. Makes me wish I had a 1.0ltr Corsa with a dodgy Halfords exhaust back in the day, 'cause this is the soundtrack to blare outta it. A weird Chumbawumba/Spice Girls/Hardcore blend thing shouldn't technically exist. But it does and it's wonderful.

OMN have been filling a void that was left by Wrong Music closing their doors and moving on to other things (and other countries, that bastard Shitmat). Got Phatworld coming up down here in Brighton soon enough and Squire of Gothos and Dankle to look forward to at Bang Face Weekender.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

If you liked that Kahn single I'd suggest taking a look at what else Black Box Records (and their sub-label Box Clever which released that single) have put out as they're all generally on that kinda vibe. Big artists on the Black Box label are Kryptic Minds (though their early stuff was some pretty solid Drum & Bass, just as a warning) and DJ Madd (who's album has just came out this week, and a few months back released a budget Black Box compilation mix thing).

Box Clever generally deals with smaller or lesser known artists. I'd say check up Chemical Records pages on Black Box here, and Box Clever here so you can check samples etc (Chemical own the labels), though they might only be showing in stock or recent items but it might give you an idea of that sound.

As any proper dance music is, it's a singles game rather than an album thing. Though on saying that Youngsta's Rinse mix CD is great and I'd suggest you buy it as it may be right up your alley. Again you can use Chemical or another record shop to hear samples.

Wow, thanks a bunch. I'll have to dig through all of this.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Just when you thought you had escaped it this week, the SA forums decide to start working properly again for me (I can actually load pages now!) so that means it's time for the Friday Release Round-Up! As always my picks of what I think will be flying off the shelves over the next week or so.

Martyn – Hello Darkness (Brainfeeder)
Martyn returns after last years fantastic second album with this EP/maxi-single thing on Brainfeeder. Betraying his Drum & Bass roots the title track has a great Tech-Step/Metalheadz Reece-y kinda bass thing going on but it's propelled by a beat that's pure contemporary bass scene, not quite Garage, not quite Techno, not quite House, but a perfect blend of them all. Don't forget the b-side now! Over the plate we have L-Vis 1990 and Bok-Bok taking on Bauplan and Redshape tackling We Are You In The Future. In all honesty not really a fan of the remixes, though that's not because any of the artists have done a bad job – in fact they're really pretty good – but those two cuts remain probably my favourite off the LP and it'd take a lot to surpass the originals.

Shokazulu – Pie b/w OO (2000Black)
The legendary 2000Black label continues it's recent (albeit slow and poorly distributed) revival. This time the master that is Kaidi Tatham returns with his Shokazulu alias with a pair of funky little numbers. OO is probably the cut that'll see more action here. Fast paced with more than enough snap 'n' crackle in it to line up against the best of the rest in your DJ set. Pie keeps it a bit more mellow and groovy with a lot of jazzy keyboard moments busying it all up. And bongos, lots of bongos. Cannae beat 'em.

TMSV & June Miller – Ghost Ship b/w Lost Cause (Black Box Records)
TMSV joins up with June Miller for this weighty plate on Black Box Records XXX limited edition series. Ghost Ship is a good 'un as it's got a little more of the rhythmic swing and punch you'd find in garage (but without it sounding little a bad El-B knock off made by some kid who sits in front of his computer too much like a lot of Future Garage tunes seem to be) as well as the massive space and bass weight that puts it right up there with the other Black Box releases. I guess it might be a handy thing to have in your bag if you're trying to switch from the more overt half-step thing into something a little more hectic. Lost Cause is pure Youngsta fodder though, very nice.

Zoo Look – People Let Me Down EP (Join The Dots Music)
I have to admit I've never heard of Zoo Look before now. Though at least this time I'm semi-justified seeing how they've only had a digi EP+ thing and a handful of compilation appearences. This EP is fantastic though, House with deep enough basslines to please anyone. Deep but not in the way deep should be, fifty fathoms rather than deep sleep. Groove Side Blues is my favourite off this. A sorta bizarro alternate universe 21st century version of Derrick May's Strings Of Life/Nude Photo. The final track Cutters Choice keeps the movement going with it's proper use of hi-hats and cut up vocal samples.

Alex Coulton – Candy Flip b/w Brooklyn (Idle Hands)
Alex Coulton returns after his recent release on Glaswegian label All Caps with this single on Idle Hands. Both sides are spacious, bass heavy, slick, driving House rollers with enough substance to really give a bit of a bite into whatever set you put these into. Alex Coulton is definitely becoming a name I think we'll all be more familiar with by the end of the year.

:siren:!WARNING! 28 GUN BAD BOY SEMI-NOSTALGIA SPIEL ALERT!:siren:
Romanthony – The Wanderer, The Remixes
Small Pyramids – I Want Blood (Both Glasgow Underground)

What's this? Not one but two new releases on classic Glaswegian House label Glasgow Underground? It can't be! But it is! GU really formed a small, but important part of a young, barely into his teens 28 Gun Bad Boys life. Growing pretty dissatisfied with the crappy mosher music a lot of my friends started to listen to at the time, I started to branch out, find my own taste and discover more about contemporary and cutting edge dance music. One of the first stops was Glasgow Underground (and it's not like it was a hard thing to find given it was such an important local label).

GU along - with Sole Music – really summed up what House music was about at the time in Glasgow. Yes we had sexiness and funkiness of the New York and the American scene. No we didn't do the ultra slick Ministry of Sound Progressive House thing. But uniquely we also remembered the Auld Alliance and had a bit more of a Continental thing bred into the music. A bit more French House-influenced taste thing going on at times. It's also worth remembering that it was Glaswegian label Soma who discovered Daft Punk, and I definitely remember that most recent French invasion hitting us before a lot of other places.

Anyway to get back on track a bit, Glasgow Underground sadly seemed to dissolve away in the early-00s – no doubt caused after vinyl sales tanked globally right across the board, and to be honest probably from label owner Kevin McKay making a packet from the success of the Mylo album – but over the past year it's slowly stirred back to life. After a handful of digital releases we finally see a bunch of them on wax. Limited edition hand stamped 100 units of wax, but wax nonetheless. Romanthony's classic, classic, classic track The Wanderer gets a handful of remixes, including one by GU label owner Kevin McKay, and another (my pick of the litter) by Rob Mello who turns it into an electrifying, up-tempo number.

And the next release is by Small Pyramids. The title track I Want Blood was released for free last year, but here we get it mixed down by Kevin McKay as well as two great remixes by Cosmic Kids and Goldroom. The Goldroom remix is the stand out here, with it's laid back, sunny day out cruisin' vibe. Well out cruising if you happen to live in LA with it's golden beaches and warm Pacific waters. Not so much cruising the banks of the river Clyde.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I love SXSW since you always just expect the unexpected. My life was changed by this event. SMOG is legit and I hope to see more events from y'all of this caliber! Quite easy to get in and there were zero lines. They even provide a shuttle to get to the venue since it is a painful walk from downtown Austin. So I felt pretty apprehensive at first since the SPL and Flinch were playing a ton of filthier music, but Plastician murdered the floor once he got on. Crowd went ballistic once he dropped Rustie - Ultra Thizz.

I've seen 12th Planet before (alongside Skrillex at SXSW last year) and I was never really fond of his style, but he points over to Skream and Benga, and says, "This set is what made me fall in love with dubstep and it's a tribute to these guys." I'm fairly certain every track he played was at least 4+ years old. The crowd went even crazier for this track. To be frank, I enjoyed his set the most out of everyone, even Skream and Benga.

Also happy about seeing Clicks & Whistles at their showcase on Friday night and then SBTRKT at the Fader Fort the next day. I do wish someone told me about how to get into this event. Would have been a complete SXSW had I seen HudMo and Machinedrum.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I don't know what you Gritsy folks have been doing in Houston, but you must be working your asses off to book some of these acts to play down there :aaa: I also love the mood of the events; it's basically just a dark room of people enjoying the bass. Gonna try and make as many as I can.
April 14: Silkie
May 12: Distance, J:Kenzo
June 9: Goth-Trad, Truth
July 14: Mala, Coki

air- fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 18, 2012

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

air- posted:

I love SXSW since you always just expect the unexpected. My life was changed by this event. SMOG is legit and I hope to see more events from y'all of this caliber! Quite easy to get in and there were zero lines. They even provide a shuttle to get to the venue since it is a painful walk from downtown Austin. So I felt pretty apprehensive at first since the SPL and Flinch were playing a ton of filthier music, but Plastician murdered the floor once he got on. Crowd went ballistic once he dropped Rustie - Ultra Thizz.

I've seen 12th Planet before (alongside Skrillex at SXSW last year) and I was never really fond of his style, but he points over to Skream and Benga, and says, "This set is what made me fall in love with dubstep and it's a tribute to these guys." I'm fairly certain every track he played was at least 4+ years old. The crowd went even crazier for this track. To be frank, I enjoyed his set the most out of everyone, even Skream and Benga.

And here was I thinking SXSW was just for bands.

Plast is an absolute don. It's been way too loving long since I've seen him play now I think of it. Man doesn't get nearly as much love as he should do.

Was it that original Mavado number or the Coki remix/bootleg thing that used to get absolutely rinsed years ago? I had totally forgot about it until now. Strange that. It was even one of those tunes everybody used to chant along to as well!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

And here was I thinking SXSW was just for bands.

Plast is an absolute don. It's been way too loving long since I've seen him play now I think of it. Man doesn't get nearly as much love as he should do.

Was it that original Mavado number or the Coki remix/bootleg thing that used to get absolutely rinsed years ago? I had totally forgot about it until now. Strange that. It was even one of those tunes everybody used to chant along to as well!

The bootleg, AND EVERYONE loving CHANTED. This was an 18+ show, and it was beautiful seeing all the kids with black x's on their hands awestruck.

I also forgot to mention something important, I was standing up front the whole time and when Plast dropped Japan, some screaming chick full on checked me into the guardrail as she trampled everyone behind me and was going nuts over hearing the track live. Thought the energy was great. I'm also very glad Austin kept it classy and there was no moshing!

Skream and Benga also had everyone rush the stage and I joined in on the fun, but the pics are awful :(

e: and SXSW is for any genre of music. If you ever make it, just message me and I'll gladly walk you through on how to plan your attack, survive, stay sane, while getting absolutely shitfaced and seeing a lot of amazing live music in the most efficient manner. By efficient I mean doing all of this for free.

air- fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 18, 2012

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Well my friend Ryan Pearce can't play tonight, so it turns out that I'm opening up for Clicks and Whistles and Machinedrum at the dragons den. Yessssssssss.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

Maguro posted:

Well my friend Ryan Pearce can't play tonight, so it turns out that I'm opening up for Clicks and Whistles and Machinedrum at the dragons den. Yessssssssss.

drat I wish I still flew in and out of New Orleans :( I'd always hear Russ(Simian) and a few other friends talk about the Den but I never got a chance to go.

Did you or anyone else record their set by chance?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Mad Decent leaked Rusko's album early and he is extremely pissed off. I think the guy is an idiot but I'd love to hear the whole story. My friends went to go to see him in February and said he spilt vodka on a CDj then smashed the other one or something ridiculous like that and he was tweeting about it the next day. Good riddance.

Edit: I guess the album was taken down but I'm sure people have ripped it by now and his tirade probably caused some damage.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 19, 2012

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Firaga posted:

Mad Decent leaked Rusko's album early and he is extremely pissed off. I think the guy is an idiot but I'd love to hear the whole story. My friends went to go to see him in February and said he spilt vodka on a CDj then smashed the other one or something ridiculous like that and he was tweeting about it the next day. Good riddance.

Edit: I guess the album was taken down but I'm sure people have ripped it by now and his tirade probably caused some damage.

"Unlike your girlfriend we don't want our music shared around.". The old Dub Police label text hasn't been more fitting.

To be honest I can't blame him. I know everyone goes on about how it's the done thing nowadays, but man is it annoying. If it were me I'd say get right tae gently caress, naebody hear's ma album til it's on the shelves (if I had an album, which I don't. Or do I? You wouldn't know until the last moment because it wouldn't leak. But seriously I don't).

As for seeing him out DJing or whatever. You know what, I'd do it if you could get a half decent bouncer to knock back 95% of the people. "Your name's not down you're not gettin' in."

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Full Skream/Benga set at the SMOG party is here:
http://youtu.be/n52e2ULC-Uw

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

HatchetDown posted:

Did you or anyone else record their set by chance?

I didn't record my set this time, but it didn't stray too far away from the last live set I posted here (http://www.mediafire.com/?484bsz8s7ico13x). I wish I had known that I was gonna play the Machinedrum gig, I would've put some new tunes into traktor. I got a call at 7:30pm asking me to play the midnight slot, and soundcheck was at 9pm, so I was scrambling to get out to the venue in time.

I really doubt that C&W or Machinedrum recorded their sets but we can hope, they both killed it.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Maguro posted:

I really doubt that C&W or Machinedrum recorded their sets but we can hope, they both killed it.

You know I've seen more than one artist refuse to have their set recorded. Never in a dickish way of course. But I guess it's maybe less common to refuse now that proper mix CDs and tapes sadly aren't the hot commodity they used to be so having a recording or a bootleg out there isn't as big a deal.

Anyway nice wee Loefah/Swamp81 interview posted on Resident Advisor today. It's always nice to hear his viewpoints as I think it pretty accurately describes how a lot of people were feeling about the music circa 2008/09, I definitely felt the same way. It's also nice to see that - like Zinc - he just does what he feels right rather than fanny about and not get it done (I think everyone has heard about the many big D&B meetings, "oh it's too fast we need to slow it down". gently caress sake stop talking about it and just slow it down!).

He sounds just as good a label boss as he is a producer. In some ways I kinda hope he doesn't put out his own stuff again purely because I would be fear a dip in release quality as he tries to balance the label, DJing and producing/promoting his own work. Nice to see the very healthy (for 2012 anyway) sales numbers too.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Eagerly awaiting for Swamp81 to release Acid Jackson by Boddika. That track is unreal and I will play it until the end of time.
http://soundcloud.com/boddika/acid-jackson

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Also Martyn is on the decks this week for the Essential Mix. All vinyl, 1 take. Some unreleased stuff including a WICKED Jacques Greene track. Im in love with his track selection, so much good music.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Firaga posted:

Eagerly awaiting for Swamp81 to release Acid Jackson by Boddika. That track is unreal and I will play it until the end of time.
http://soundcloud.com/boddika/acid-jackson

That's out this very week by the way.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

That's out this very week by the way.

Awesome!!! Boddika is completely killing it. I've been playing Pyramid by Instra:Mental for a while now Froth, Swims, Acid Battery and now Acid Jackson are in my playlists too.

My friend who does press in NYC for some different genres of electronic music stumbled into Scuba's SUB:STANCE because she had a free pass and was looking for something to do. Had no idea what she was listening to but the lineup was Scuba, Boddika, Luke Slater's dubstep moniker and one other act I can't remember.
Anyway her mind was blown and I spent a few hours last night showing her all this stuff. I'm extremely jealous she went. Unknowingly too. I doubt we are going to see any of the UK bass guys I want to see for a while in Toronto.

I guess I'll post some tracks too. These were played by Martyn in his EM but, new Model 500 "The Messenger" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cBgVyHajc and unreleased Jacques Greene on Martyn's label 3024, "Ready" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDziAUhNkTA

My friend actually booked Jacques Greene in May but she lives in Ottawa which is a good 4 hour drive away.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Firaga posted:

Awesome!!! Boddika is completely killing it. I've been playing Pyramid by Instra:Mental for a while now Froth, Swims, Acid Battery and now Acid Jackson are in my playlists too.

My friend who does press in NYC for some different genres of electronic music stumbled into Scuba's SUB:STANCE because she had a free pass and was looking for something to do. Had no idea what she was listening to but the lineup was Scuba, Boddika, Luke Slater's dubstep moniker and one other act I can't remember.
Anyway her mind was blown and I spent a few hours last night showing her all this stuff. I'm extremely jealous she went. Unknowingly too. I doubt we are going to see any of the UK bass guys I want to see for a while in Toronto.

I guess I'll post some tracks too. These were played by Martyn in his EM but, new Model 500 "The Messenger" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cBgVyHajc and unreleased Jacques Greene on Martyn's label 3024, "Ready" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDziAUhNkTA

My friend actually booked Jacques Greene in May but she lives in Ottawa which is a good 4 hour drive away.

I love Swims, but I'm not really feeling Acid Jackson so much. Too bad, I typically love acid.

See Jacques Greene if at all possible, that dude is incredible no matter what he does. I saw him do a live show in Montreal, playing original tunes, and that blew my mind. Then I saw him again in SF just doing a DJ set, and he absolutely killed it. That kid is going to be playing some big big shows in the coming years, I would see him in a small venue while you still can.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Just caught this funky tune at the end of Brackles show, massive: Rudimental ft MC Shantie - Deep In The Valley

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

That's the first time I've heard 8bit without feeling like it was somewhat gimmicky.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

GET MONEY posted:

Just caught this funky tune at the end of Brackles show, massive: Rudimental ft MC Shantie - Deep In The Valley

I kinda liked Spoons better. Different vibe though I guess.

Anyway Photek's DJ-Kicks mix is out next week I believe, but why wait to hear it when Fact mag has it up and streaming right now!

I'm liking it and I think I'll be picking it up when it comes out. Not exactly a total banger set the dancefloor on fire of a mix, but it really seems to follow his own recent work in that it's like very dense and cinematic, very epic even. Which I guess is what happens when you spent a lot of the past decade doing film scores in Hollywood.

psychicsecession
Jan 15, 2011
Hey yall, I recorded a new mix, mostly funky-ish stuff with some grime and bassline towards the end:
http://soundcloud.com/thehippriest/march-2012-mix

amerie - one thing(french fries remix)
mosca - square one(greena remix)
seiji - face up
sam tiba - zig zag
hi$tory - loving robot
dj sliink - vibrate
drake - marvin's room(dj dodger stadium remix)
girl unit - shade on
zeds dead - rumble in the jungle
splack pack - shake that rear end bitch
mele - raider
douster - a mi a loco
clicks & whistles - can't believe
faze miyake - take off vip
machinedrum - alarmaa
ac slater & mumdance - transatlantic riddim
dubbel dutch - b leave
lol boys - pop them
brenmar - waiting on
soap dodgers - belly
r1 ryders - rubber band
canblaster - triple ring
dj q - will i ever be free
t2 - heartbroken
burgaboy - i can love you
d.o.k. - east coast
wiley - it's wiley(instrumental)
p money & blacks - boo you
royal-t - cool down
terror danjah - full attention(mister maff remix)

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Swamp81 is really killing it right now, FaltyDL - Mean Streets Pt. 2 is up for preorder. Looks like Sloefah is really getting things in gear. I believe Loefah mentioned that FaltyDL releases on Swamp are limited to 500 copies. This one is going to move fast - Swims moved 2000 copies in 4 days.

This is the 6th Swamp81 release since December and every single one has been top quality.

Also, Butterz is going to be streaming their 2nd birthday party at Cable on Saturday. Great news for us scrubs that can't be in attendance.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Plastician ‏ @djplastician
Took a photo earlier for @jackmaster of him and @tiesto Jack was on a hype for hours. So funny. Kid In A Sweetshop vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
Back to the 90s we go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bkzMCGJboY

• Locked thread