Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Journey was short but it was also played/watched for about 6 hours straight between my wife and I.

Well worth 15 bucks unless you want to do a stupid time/dollar evaluation without taking into account artistic worth or the value of enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Samurai Sanders posted:

Especially since a review I read said it should be experienced all in one sitting. I NEVER do that with games.

I basically just did that with Heavy Rain, it was awesome

Speaking of Heavy Rain, it was awesome, and despite certain plot points being massive red herrings as well as playing the killer making certain sections not make much sense I thought the narrative was tight enough to keep my gripped all the way through. Best £6 i've spent in a long time

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
So the much ballyhooed Spring Fever sale is... a percentage off the Call of Duty games? That's loving it? gently caress off, Sony; stop wasting my time. :mad:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Polite Tim posted:

Speaking of Heavy Rain, it was awesome, and despite certain plot points being massive red herrings as well as playing the killer making certain sections not make much sense I thought the narrative was tight enough to keep my gripped all the way through. Best £6 i've spent in a long time

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel about Heavy Rain. The presentation is good enough that while I'm annoyed by the plot holes, I still think it's good enough to recommend to others.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

spidoman posted:

Journey was short but it was also played/watched for about 6 hours straight between my wife and I.

Well worth 15 bucks unless you want to do a stupid time/dollar evaluation without taking into account artistic worth or the value of enjoyment.
Judging by videos of Journey in action, and it seriously doesn't look like a game that would hold my interest. The only reason I'm saying that is because historically, other games that look like it haven't held my interest. In that sense, I am taking artistic value and "enjoyment" or whatever into account.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Judging by videos of Journey in action, and it seriously doesn't look like a game that would hold my interest. The only reason I'm saying that is because historically, other games that look like it haven't held my interest. In that sense, I am taking artistic value and "enjoyment" or whatever into account.

Cool, not your kind of game then. But it is an astoundingly good game. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm playing Journey a second time right now with someone who is leading me around to all the secrets and it's just as badass as the first time.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Krad posted:

Wait, you mean there are more "art" games out there besides SotC/Flower/Journey? Because if there are, I've never heard of them.
Yes? Tons of them. Especially if you're looking at indie games: http://tig.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_games_often_called_art_games (This list is nowhere near definitive or close to every Art Game out there)

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

...! posted:

So the much ballyhooed Spring Fever sale is... a percentage off the Call of Duty games? That's loving it? gently caress off, Sony; stop wasting my time. :mad:

They are giving the impression that it is like a 4 week long sale with new stuff each week. Fingers crossed at least.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

spidoman posted:

Cool, not your kind of game then. But it is an astoundingly good game. :)
Yeah, from everything that has been said it sure seems like that is the case, but as I said, the world is swimming with entertainment options. A lot of it is astoundingly good, more than anyone can ever consume, and everyone needs to pick and choose what of it they will consume based on their own value judgments.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Krad posted:

Add me to the list of people not wanting to pay $15 for a really short game that probably has zero replayability. I'll just wait for the inevitable "best of 2012" sale next year.

Same here. This happened to me with Flower and Braid and irregardless of other qualities I felt completely ripped off just on the price versus how long the game was. Without something extra special an hour and a half game is worth $2.50 max, especially given how much I could get out of other games at the same price. And if Sony chooses to never drop the price that far it's no skin off my nose since I'll be enjoying the obscenely large pile of other games that are a better value.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just beat Journey again. Still awesomely impactful. Even on a replay. Love it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
I paid $15 for Journey even given the length because Flower is one of my favorite gaming experiences (well worth the money) so I'm giving thatgamecompany the benefit of the doubt. Other than that, though, I absolutely will not pay that much for a PSN game, especially one that doesn't have a demo. Actually, I won't buy a demoless game no matter what the price; I've been burned too many times. The price/playtime ratio for a lot of PSN games is pretty hosed. There are plenty of PSN games that I want but haven't bought because $15 is more than I can justify paying for them. I just wait for sales and if a sale never happens for a particular game then I'll just never get it.

Something else about Resonance of Fate that I think is pretty cool: The images for the trophies for completing each chapter form a kind of vertical mural on your trophy list. I've never seen anything like it. Of course, they put zero effort into the images for the other trophies but I'll give them a pass on that.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Same here. This happened to me with Flower and Braid and irregardless of other qualities I felt completely ripped off just on the price versus how long the game was. Without something extra special an hour and a half game is worth $2.50 max, especially given how much I could get out of other games at the same price. And if Sony chooses to never drop the price that far it's no skin off my nose since I'll be enjoying the obscenely large pile of other games that are a better value.

What about other hour and a half activities, is $2.50 the maximum you'll spend for those too? Movie tickets must be a lot cheaper where you live for one example.

e. also why is everyone so big on this idea that a game's value is directly linked to the amount of hours you will spend playing it? do you all look at your watch after finishing a game and proceed to feel ripped off if it wasn't long enough, regardless of how much you enjoyed it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wandle Cax posted:

What about other hour and a half activities, is $2.50 the maximum you'll spend for those too? Movie tickets must be a lot cheaper where you live for one example.

e. also why is everyone so big on this idea that a game's value is directly linked to the amount of hours you will spend playing it? do you all look at your watch after finishing a game and proceed to feel ripped off if it wasn't long enough, regardless of how much you enjoyed it?
Well...yes, if a game ends up being really short I do feel ripped off. We were just having this discussion about Saint's Row 2 versus 3 before this current one about Journey got started.

Also you can't compare the price of going out with the price of entertainment in your home, I think.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Wandle Cax posted:

Movie tickets must be a lot cheaper where you live for one example.

Are we really comparing movies with videogames for their price value? We might as well compare, I don't know, rock concerts with Rez or something.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Krad posted:

Are we really comparing movies with videogames for their price value? We might as well compare, I don't know, rock concerts with Rez or something.

Well they're both activities where you sit still and look at a screen, why not compare them, you might buy a blu-ray movie for about $15 and that would keep you entertained for about the same amount of time as Journey and you'd always have the option to watch it again, or play the game again.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

Actually I have stopped going to the movies because I felt the price was way too high for a shoddy experience.

But it's not really a smart idea to compare two different mediums. Journey is a game, let's compare that to other games. Steam has around 2000 games available to me at under $15. Not all of them are worth it of course but a lot of them are. If I go with just console games I can pick up pretty much anything released in 2010 and before for under $15 and a significant majority of what was released in 2011. I can easily spend that same $15 on other games (plural) and get far more entertainment out of them than I would get if I bought Journey.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wandle Cax posted:

Well they're both activities where you sit still and look at a screen, why not compare them, you might buy a blu-ray movie for about $15 and that would keep you entertained for about the same amount of time as Journey and you'd always have the option to watch it again, or play the game again.
On this topic, I only buy buy that I have already rented/netflixed tons of times, and therefore know based on history that I just can't stop watching them. For that reason, even if Journey was a movie I still wouldn't buy it. I'd rent it first...except I know of no way to rent games like that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 14, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Wandle Cax posted:

Well they're both activities where you sit still and look at a screen, why not compare them

Because one is supposed to be interactive while the other one isn't.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Krad posted:

I yell at the screen at movies. Does that count?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Krad posted:

So what? still no reason why you can't compare an "artful" movie-length game like Journey to a movie simply to compare prices. This is all only for meaningless discussion's sake anyway.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
I wish Media Go gave you full access to PSN for downloading titles to PC and then transferring them to PS3 for installation.

For some reason, my PS3 (last of the 80GB fats) has atrocious download speeds over wifi. For the longest time I just assumed PSN capped you, but it wasn't until my ex bought her own PS3, and had it sitting in the same spot as my PS3, connected to the same network, with blazing download speeds, that I realized my PS3 was somehow hosed.

Granted, the wired connection works and gives great data transfer speeds, it's just wifi that's hosed. Unfortunately, it's not currently possible to connect my PS3 up via a wired connection right now, so I'm stuck with wifi. And it's why, some 30 minutes after I started downloading Journey, it's only just reached the 95MB (out of 589MB) mark. My PC would have downloaded Journey about a dozen times by now. My Vita has great transfer rates too.

Maybe I'll grab a slim later in the year, if a good deal arises.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Wandle Cax posted:

So what? still no reason why you can't compare an "artful" movie-length game like Journey to a movie simply to compare prices. This is all only for meaningless discussion's sake anyway.

The fact that they both offer different things and people have different expectations of each one make the comparison nonsensical. What I'm saying is this argument makes no sense.

spidoman posted:

I yell at the screen at movies. Does that count?

Seeing this while looking at an Abed avatar next to it really made me miss Community. :(

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Krad posted:

The fact that they both offer different things and people have different expectations of each one make the comparison nonsensical. What I'm saying is this argument makes no sense.

Talking about Journey, they both offer a few hours entertainment sitting in front of the television looking at the screen. The comparison in terms of price makes sense if you were looking to justify your purchase of Journey.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Wandle Cax posted:

Talking about Journey, they both offer a few hours entertainment sitting in front of the television looking at the screen. The comparison in terms of price makes sense if you were looking to justify your purchase of Journey.

But you make it sound like you literally do nothing and the game plays for itself, which it doesn't and it's not supposed to.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
First Journey run through I only had 2 companions, and one was just in the first area you can get one with the second being right after that, so I lucked out and got the trophy for having the same companion for the majority of the game...except I lost him in the very last part :(

Second play through I skipped to the level where I had started missing the history mural things and searched those out while various people either ignored me or followed me around, stuck with one guy to the end after getting to the part with the dragons in the underground section. Ended up with 7 companions listed since I ran into multiple people while wandering around the desert looking for secrets.

I'll probably play through this a lot, but I like artsy games, and I could see how some wouldn't like it. If you have a friend that gets it though you should probably give it a shot though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am waiting for Journey to Download right now so I haven't played it but I fully agree that an awesome 2 hour game is worth getting.

But saying that play time means nothing when buying a game is a bit ridiculous. Would anyone buy a great 2 hour game for full retail price?

SlumPrincess
Jan 1, 2006

Soon....soon I'm gonna make you a star

NESguerilla posted:

I am waiting for Journey to Download right now so I haven't played it but I fully agree that an awesome 2 hour game is worth getting.

But saying that play time means nothing when buying a game is a bit ridiculous. Would you buy a great 2 hour game for full retail price?

I bought Rez for $50 when it came out. This pretty much sums up my feelings about that. I've played some games that drag on forever and I simply cannot wait for them to end, and some games that are short and make a lasting impression. Portal 2 took about 6 hours to finish but it probably my favorite game of last year, above Dark Souls, Deus Ex, Batman, and Uncharted. Of course, I want to get value for the money I spend, but I think it's more about the quality of the game than the length. I've already spent at least 5 hours on Journey and finished it 3 times, so I think it was well worth the money despite the length.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

NESguerilla posted:

Would anyone buy a great 2 hour game for full retail price?

Can you measure Journey's game time the same way as a purely single player game? If so, surely that means games like Counter-Strike have a play time of only a few minutes. It's not about how long the game lasts, it's about whether that time is used well.

Many people in this thread have attested that Journey is worth the money. I haven't seen anyone regretting their purchase of it. If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I want to take a quick break from the "Is spending $15 (of presumably disposable income) on a 2-hour game/luxury item worth it?" chat to say that the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer is a hell of a lot of fun, especially when playing with a friend or two. Most pubbies I've met seem to know what they're doing too, which is nice. The campaign is pretty good so far but I don't think I'll tire of the multiplayer for a while. Biggest gripe is how long it takes to join a friend's game, it makes you go through all the menus and character selection screens.

Also I'm buying Journey in the morning, it sounds too good to pass up.

Krad posted:

Seeing this while looking at an Abed avatar next to it really made me miss Community. :(

It's coming back on Thursday!

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
I just finished 'Journey' and found it to be the most beautiful, existential, and downright transcendental gaming experiences I've had in my 36 years of life. I'm sure one's experience has much to do with their state of mind while playing. I was certainly in a melancholy mood since it's a few days away from the one year anniversary of my father's death, which has me rather depressed. By the time the credits were rolling I couldn't read them due to the tears in my eyes. No game has ever elicited such an emotional reaction from me.

I won't waste anyone's time explaining why you should give this game a chance, There are many reviews you can read to tell you that. All I can say is that I am extremely happy to have had the opportunity to experience something like this.

Also, if you have a halfway decent surround system, this game needs to be heard to be believed. While playing I could close my eyes and just about feel the wind-swept sand hitting me. Truly an amazing auditory experience!

I am very interested in hearing other people's reactions to the game, good or bad.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Third play through done, focused on getting the secret pickup item things. Missed one. Figured out that the spot in the level select area past the last one has a bunch of glowing markers that match up with how many of those things you've found too, so that's nifty. Also just realized like all of the cloth creatures are things from flOw and feel a bit dumb for not realizing it sooner.

It really is kind of nuts how beautiful they made sand. This game is pretty much the perfect example of how you make a limited color palette work really well.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

That loving Sned posted:

No, but I know a SNES emulator that won't.

Ha!

So I forgot I was meeting a friend for drinks after work and now that I'm home, I'm stuck having to do some overtime bullshit remoting work while Yakuza sits wrapped on the desk next to me.

Considering faking sick tomorrow. My developers can handle their own poo poo, I have zombie spines to break.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
drat you people suck. Yes Journey is short but those 2-3 hours were far better than 40 hours of most other games I've played. It's $15 to support a company that actually tries to push forward the genre. It's really not that much, especially considering how amazing of an experience it is. If you don't think it'll be you're type of game, fine, but if the game appeals to you $15 really isn't alot.

I just did my second playthrough and it was pretty amazing. I met up with a guy wearing a white robe and I managed to stay with him while he showed em all the games secrets including the desert flower and the creature from Flow. Considering how casual this game is some of the things are pretty drat well hidden.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

OMG, a Journey thread!

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
It's a PS3 exclusive that people are really excited about that was released today*. Is that not cool to discuss in this thread now? Do we go back to talking about ME3?

*For most people.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy poo poo. That was unlike any other piece of media I have ever experienced. I couldn't even find a frame of reference if I was trying to describe it to someone. Seriously Journey is pretty groundbreaking.

It was so good I pissed in a cup that was sitting next to me because I didn't want to bail out at the end. Seriously. Wow.

Edit: If you are thinking about playing Journey don't look at the Journey thread until you are done with it BTW. Way too many untagged spoilers.

axleblaze posted:

drat you people suck. Yes Journey is short but those 2-3 hours were far better than 40 hours of most other games I've played. It's $15 to support a company that actually tries to push forward the genre. It's really not that much, especially considering how amazing of an experience it is. If you don't think it'll be you're type of game, fine, but if the game appeals to you $15 really isn't alot.

I wouldn't even call it short. The length feels perfect. The feeling it gave me was much closer to the feeling I get after watching a really good movie vs. playing through a game. That's not to say it's anything like a movie though. It's a 100% game. It just has a completely different vibe from any other game I have played.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 14, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow...do you think you guys might be selling it up a little too much? Transcendental, outside of any known frame of reference experiences aren't something I have gotten from any game ever. Are you guys saying you get transcendental experiences from games regularly or that this thing is somehow above and beyond every game you have ever played?

edit: I mean if it is, I apologize, but I've bought lots of downloadable games based on strong, strong, strong recommendations here, and still not gotten much out of them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Can someone tell me if tyres wear out on GT5? Like the past few races my zonda seems really skittish and I couldn't find an option to replace the tyres with new ones. I went into the store and tried to buy the same tyres for it but it said they were already installed. Maybe I'm imagining it but it doesn't grip like it used to. I haven't tuned it. Only gave it a paint job. Is there some way to re-tread the tyres or am I just making it up?

• Locked thread