Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Okay, so now I'm installing Lion. Why the hell does the app store not ask you to confirm your CC No.? I mean, I had the right card no. and all, but still. I was slightly panicked for a bit, hoping it didn't have the wrong one.

That seems like a pretty basic step.

Anyway, after I install Lion, what sort of basic steps are there, assuming I am a curmudgeon and hate change?
So far I have 1) scrolling 2) the restore thing 3) figure out what they did to spaces.

Am I missing anything?

If you're using a laptop, the new spaces and fullscreen will be your best friend.

And instead of disabling the restore windows, you might want to consider using RestoreMeNot to selectively disable apps from restoring windows instead. Restoring windows has been one of my favorite things about Lion, since i accidentally hit cmd+Q instead of W a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

This is the most painful thing I have ever read, and it has nothing to do with the subject matter.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

You can set up Wine through Macports and then it's just a matter of issuing wine path/to/executable.exe from the terminal. But it might be a lot to ask of your employee to do that.
That and depending on the site it may not do what you want. I tried it in the past to access some security camera DVR setup (that used ActiveX) but could never get it working right.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
On your machine you could use Wine Bottler and test it out first. If it works, you'll have a .app you can share with the stipulation shell need X11 installed. Like others said though, ActiveX may screw it all up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vkeios posted:

And instead of disabling the restore windows, you might want to consider using RestoreMeNot to selectively disable apps from restoring windows instead. Restoring windows has been one of my favorite things about Lion, since i accidentally hit cmd+Q instead of W a lot.

Does this work with restoring windows upon rebooting?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

computer parts posted:

Does this work with restoring windows upon rebooting?

Sadly no, only applications.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

On your machine you could use Wine Bottler and test it out first. If it works, you'll have a .app you can share with the stipulation shell need X11 installed.
I prefer Wineskin, but I suppose the idea is the same.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zenostein posted:

Okay, so now I'm installing Lion. Why the hell does the app store not ask you to confirm your CC No.? I mean, I had the right card no. and all, but still. I was slightly panicked for a bit, hoping it didn't have the wrong one.

That seems like a pretty basic step.

What do you mean confirm? Like on every purchase? I like the fact that I have one credit card number plugged into my Apple account and I never have to think about it again.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

What do you mean confirm? Like on every purchase? I like the fact that I have one credit card number plugged into my Apple account and I never have to think about it again.

When you use the account from a new piece of hardware you have to confirm the card. It prevents misuse of the card if the account has been compromised.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been asked to reconfirm my credit card when I use the Mac Store on a new machine, it's kind of odd that you didn't. I had to put in the CVV code after I reinstalled my machine.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I'm wanting to install an 80GB SSD in my 2011 mac mini. Instead of starting from scratch with a new OS install, I'd like to clone the existing system drive to the SSD. The original system drive is 500GB.

I know I can use Carbon Copy Cloner to move everything over, but do I need to partition the 500GB first? and if so, whats the the best way of doing that without losing all of my data?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Re: what to do with Lion, if I didn't have these preferences reverted I would smash my computer to bits:

Get key repeat back:
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

Show the ~/Library folder in the Finder:
chflags nohidden ~/Library

Disable window animations:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
^^ Yeah, that does help, although I don't really recall the last time I used key-repeat. I wouldn't've noticed that for ages.

I have no idea why it didn't ask me to confirm my CCN, since I don't think I've ever bought anything from the App Store.

Also as a bit of a strange thing, you don't ordinarily have a bunch of desktops open in MC, do you? Because I still have my six "spaces," and the applications I set to open in specific ones still do so nice and quietly. If I ever wanted to change this would those affinities be hidden somewhere quietly in a preference somewhere? I don't see anything in the SysPrefs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The space assignment is now in the dock. Right click the app in the dock and the space thing is in one of the options there.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
What's the current favorite app for cleaning up the mess on your hard drive (emptying caches, freeing space, etc)? Never really needed one and now I figure I can use an extra gig or two on this air.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

What's the current favorite app for cleaning up the mess on your hard drive (emptying caches, freeing space, etc)? Never really needed one and now I figure I can use an extra gig or two on this air.

Free option: Disk Inventory X: http://www.derlien.com/

Purty option: Daisy Disk: http://www.daisydiskapp.com/ ($10)

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Venkmanologist posted:

I'm wanting to install an 80GB SSD in my 2011 mac mini. Instead of starting from scratch with a new OS install, I'd like to clone the existing system drive to the SSD. The original system drive is 500GB.

I know I can use Carbon Copy Cloner to move everything over, but do I need to partition the 500GB first? and if so, whats the the best way of doing that without losing all of my data?

Every time I have done that the drive ends up being really slow / boot slow because of how the drives handle blocks I think.

Then I would do it from scratch and it would be awesome. Those have been my experiences with Intel and Crucial SSDs.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

vikingstrike posted:

On your machine you could use Wine Bottler and test it out first. If it works, you'll have a .app you can share with the stipulation shell need X11 installed. Like others said though, ActiveX may screw it all up.

Doesn't X come with the OS out of the box?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

ptier posted:

Every time I have done that the drive ends up being really slow / boot slow because of how the drives handle blocks I think.

Then I would do it from scratch and it would be awesome. Those have been my experiences with Intel and Crucial SSDs.

Ugh, alright. I guess thats manageable.

Thanks for replying. The avatars make it look like I'm having a conversation with myself.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Doesn't X come with the OS out of the box?

It's part of the developer tools package on the disc in Lion. As of Mountain Lion, it's a download.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Neurophonic posted:

It's part of the developer tools package on the disc in Lion. As of Mountain Lion, it's a download.

Pretty sure they're dropping support of Apple maintained X11 in favour of the community maintained XQuartz for Mountain Lion

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lord funk posted:

Re: what to do with Lion, if I didn't have these preferences reverted I would smash my computer to bits:

Get key repeat back:
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

Show the ~/Library folder in the Finder:
chflags nohidden ~/Library

Disable window animations:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO
Disabling iCloud sign up/sign in with new accounts:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/User\ Template/Non_localized/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant DidSeeCloudSetup -bool TRUE

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Nice. The big one for me would be getting the Snow Leopard version of TextEdit back. The new TextEdit in Lion is a big awkward step in a direction no one can figure out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lord funk posted:

Nice. The big one for me would be getting the Snow Leopard version of TextEdit back. The new TextEdit in Lion is a big awkward step in a direction no one can figure out.
Try SublimeEdit?

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
IIRC, TextEdit used to be open source in that it was presented as sample code. If by chance they haven't updated it to Lion or the old version of the source is available somewhere, it should be possible to compile it for Lion with ease unless the frameworks underlying it have really changed to incorporate all Lion changes.

By the way, I've been getting a problem with wireless networks both public and private where it says it failed to connect but works fine... On public networks it says it timed out, and on passworded networks it says it failed to connect. It's all working perfectly otherwise though. Has anyone heard of this?

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

This is the most painful thing I have ever read, and it has nothing to do with the subject matter.

Try living there for three years. I couldn't even check my bank account balance on my MacBook Pro. I had to go to my computer at work, download that horrible ActiveX control, along with three other things, input a freaking internet banking pin I received at the bank, then log in with a user name and password. Doing anything on the Internet there was an absolute nightmare.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
If I have one terminal window open and minimized, clicking the terminal dock icon does not bring that window up, nothing happens. Why?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

lord funk posted:

What were the changes?

NOTinuyasha posted:

If I have one terminal window open and minimized, clicking the terminal dock icon does not bring that window up, nothing happens. Why?
:iiam:. I tested it here and it brought the window out. Tried just restarting the app?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

japtor posted:

What were the changes?
Can't you see? They ruined everything!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

Can't you see? They ruined everything!

I don't see the prob...:psyduck:

(but seriously I'm just wondering what the "big awkward step" is referring to)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I assume the Terminal bug is due to it getting suspended with the window minimised.
TextEdit often fucks up in weird ways for me like that.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
I am so sick of Outlook 2011.

I really like Sparrow for mail, but I can't scheduling meetings which is a deal killer for me. Are there any alternative exchange clients that support shared calendars and scheduling that doesn't suck?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Tarq posted:

I am so sick of Outlook 2011.

I really like Sparrow for mail, but I can't scheduling meetings which is a deal killer for me. Are there any alternative exchange clients that support shared calendars and scheduling that doesn't suck?
Mail.app works pretty well. On Lion, they setup Calendar and E-mail for you so they integrate.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Would anybody know of a OSX program that would allow me to save and search folder structures of external drives not plugged into my Mac?

I basically have about 10 external hard drives, and occasionally I am missing a file that is on one of them. I'd love to search for the file name and have search result that tells me which drive it's on.

Right now I just copy the folders of each hard drive into its own Text Edit file, put all 10 text files into a folder, then search that folder with Finder for the file I'm looking for. But there has to be a better way... as it involves manually copy and pasting all files to a text file.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Astro7x posted:

Would anybody know of a OSX program that would allow me to save and search folder structures of external drives not plugged into my Mac?

I basically have about 10 external hard drives, and occasionally I am missing a file that is on one of them. I'd love to search for the file name and have search result that tells me which drive it's on.

Right now I just copy the folders of each hard drive into its own Text Edit file, put all 10 text files into a folder, then search that folder with Finder for the file I'm looking for. But there has to be a better way... as it involves manually copy and pasting all files to a text file.

Something like this? http://obviousmatter.com/disklibrary.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Astro7x posted:

THE POWER OF UNIX

(there's probably an better way to do this, but here's how you can do it)

Open Terminal
Go to the drive you want - in my case it would be:

cd /Volumes/Seagate
find * > ~/Documents/Seagate.txt

It'll take a minute but it will dump every file+path to that text file

Then you can use grep:

cd ~/Documents
grep -i 'mario' Seagate.txt
Wallpaper/mariobros_wide.jpg
Wallpaper/supermariobros.jpg
Wallpaper/marioline.jpg
ROMS/SNES/Mario-All-Stars/SMC

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
^^^^ Interesting... but for $40 I'll gladly pay the price and have something that is dummy proof that I can teach an intern to use.

beefnoodle posted:

Something like this? http://obviousmatter.com/disklibrary.html

That looks perfect! From the few minutes I messed around with the demo, it does exactly what I need it to do. Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just got this in my email. Macupdate is doing their promo bundle again and this time it's not half bad. $50 gets your eleven Mac apps.

VMware Fusion, Drive Genius and PDFpen are pretty solid apps. Be aware that new versions may be coming out soon which is why they're so cheap. I'm still using the version of Parallels 3 I got many years ago from this bundle.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

japtor posted:

(but seriously I'm just wondering what the "big awkward step" is referring to)
(TextEdit)

It seems like Apple wants to move away from the idea of saving a file manually. Getting rid of 'Save As' is retarded (although some people will defend the move, any way you slice it you are adding more steps to get the same result).

When you quit, it doesn't ask you to save your unchanged documents. They are just set to re-open the next time you open TextEdit. Yes, I have the 'Re-open documents' option un-checked in the System Prefs.

And the big one: using Command-Delete instead of Command-D to choose the 'Don't Save' option in the save dialog. It's an unnecessary change. It's unergonomic. Also the little action-sheet version of the dialog doesn't respond to keyboard actions half the time.

Find / Replace is no longer a separate window. Adds an extra click every time you do a Find to get the Replace area to show up.

This is sperg-y as hell, but I was in love with the simplicity of TextEdit. I use it dozens of times a day. This little crap adds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My biggest gripe with Text Edit on Lion is that all the versioning stuff doesn't work if you are saving the document to a different drive that is not compatible with Lion's versioning. I actually kind of like it after using it for awhile, except at work where we have a server that is running on Snow Leopard, and some newer machines running Lion. So now you just have the consistent warnings about it for a feature you can't even use.