Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingon
May 7, 2007

LETS GO DRINK DRUNK
I haven't played Wasteland, Fallout, or Fallout 2. But I'm still giving away some of my money. I can't wait to get hosed by making the wrong choices.

The video was all I needed to make such a decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Well, Total Biscuit just posted a video about this Kickstarter (and that other not so hot Kickstarter), so that's going to be some good publicity.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Kicked in my $50, should have some money by the time this thing is set to be funded.

All of you complaining about being broke, as long as you have the money by the time the project is to be funded (April 17th), then all will be ok, as it doesn't charge your account until that time.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

720k and only two of the 10k rewards, any of you rich RPG fans better be quick if you want to get those.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Arne, who's pretty well known in the indie games scene for his concept art posted a little thumbnail sheet showing how the original Wasteland monsters could be updated in a manner that keeps more of the bizarre charm of the original game.

I hope the dev team sees this during this early stage because he really makes the designs look great in these quick thumbnail sketches.

Check it here: http://diglett.blogspot.com/2012/03/wasteland-2.html

Also, does anyone know if Wasteland 2 has settled on isometric perspective, or a more classic top-down like the original? I've never liked third-person as much, as it tends to show less information on screen, and as beloved as Baldur's Gate and Fallout are, the pre-rendered models that seem to be a favourite of this team look like stiff, lifeless action figures.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It really makes me laugh to see the popularity of the "old school big boxes". My family, myself included and nearly everyone I knew that played PC games when they came in those big boxes complained about how criminal it was to have these huge wastes of cardboard with a tiny (in comparison) jewel cases in it. They were also a pain in the rear end to store, they took up so much space and it was tiresome fluffing about with them when you needed to get at the game (disc had to be in the drive to play of course).

I thought it was a huge improvement when they came in standard DVD cases with no box. Now that practically everything is digital it's even better, especially if it's DRM free. Replicate a setup file across multiple machines and install it, back it up to a file server etc.

It's just quite humorous at how people look back with rose-tinted glasses, but that's nostalgia for you I suppose.

Anyway, backed the project and am excited as all hell. 18 months though, what a downer.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Scut posted:

Also, does anyone know if Wasteland 2 has settled on isometric perspective, or a more classic top-down like the original?

That hasn't been officially announced yet. "We will have some concepts soon", is the only thing Fargo has announced so far. Personally, I'd love it to be an updated version of Wasteland's original top down perspective, but isometric seems more likely to me (especially given the fan feedback so far).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Xik posted:

It really makes me laugh to see the popularity of the "old school big boxes". My family, myself included and nearly everyone I knew that played PC games when they came in those big boxes complained about how criminal it was to have these huge wastes of cardboard with a tiny (in comparison) jewel cases in it. They were also a pain in the rear end to store, they took up so much space and it was tiresome fluffing about with them when you needed to get at the game (disc had to be in the drive to play of course).

Jewel cases? Son, you are not thinking nearly far back enough:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Xik posted:

You actually stored your cases in the boxes? I had a separate rack for the jewel cases. Boxes would either go on a shelf, if I cared enough for the game, or into storage.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Xik posted:

I thought it was a huge improvement when they came in standard DVD cases with no box. Now that practically everything is digital it's even better, especially if it's DRM free. Replicate a setup file across multiple machines and install it, back it up to a file server etc.

It's just quite humorous at how people look back with rose-tinted glasses, but that's nostalgia for you I suppose.

Anyway, backed the project and am excited as all hell. 18 months though, what a downer.

Shrug. Some people like having the boxes on display. I have a bookshelf filled with big boxes, hell I don't even have all the games that were in the boxes to begin with anymore.

Oh how I love you giant earhbound box.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

HotCanadianChick posted:

Diskettes? Looks like you're the one looking too far in the future.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Al! posted:

Loved that old EA logo.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I threw in $50. Add me to the group who never played the original, but is still very interested based on the legacy of games that followed.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Honestly, I can't understand the point of the Hardcore Tactical Shooter kickstarter. I mean, Battlefield 3 and COD8 are the biggest games ever, and ArmA 3 is coming out. What exactly is the audience for this?

edit: I guess a rainbow six style game would be cool, but SWAT4 AND R63 still hold up really well.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

the black husserl posted:

Honestly, I can't understand the point of the Hardcore Tactical Shooter kickstarter. I mean, Battlefield 3 and COD8 are the biggest games ever, and ArmA 3 is coming out. What exactly is the audience for this?

People who really really like rainbow 6?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Al! posted:

Ha, I pulled my set of this out yesterday as well.

For some reason though I cannot find my Wasteland box. I have everything else but not box, even the survival guide. WHAT THE gently caress. NOT OK.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

HotCanadianChick posted:

Hah, that's right. I remember buying games on floppies that came in the big boxes too. Some of the cheap shovelware would sometimes even just have disks loose in the box. I can't even remember the last time I've even seen a disk, let alone used one.....

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Al! posted:

The pic I posted was of 5 1/4" disks, not 3.5" disks. Both sizes were called "diskettes", because they were both smaller than the original 8" disks of yore. I still have a copy of Darklands on 5 1/4" disks that I haven't been able to play in years because my only 5 1/4" drive died long ago and nobody makes them anymore.

e: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 14, 2012

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Scut posted:

Arne, who's pretty well known in the indie games scene for his concept art posted a little thumbnail sheet showing how the original Wasteland monsters could be updated in a manner that keeps more of the bizarre charm of the original game.

I hope the dev team sees this during this early stage because he really makes the designs look great in these quick thumbnail sketches.

Check it here: http://diglett.blogspot.com/2012/03/wasteland-2.html

I've just tweeted it to Fargo, and he tweeted back "Cool. I love the fan art."

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I loved the old school big boxes and was saddened by the change to DVD style cases. The change to DVD cases helped push along that trend of making lovely tiny manuals that tell you only the bare basics. Now you're lucky if you get a PDF manual with most games. :sigh:

I've still got my Falcon 4.0 box complete with huge manual, smaller starter guide and that big rear end map of the Korean peninsula.

I always wanted the ring-binder style manual though, but this one was still pretty drat cool.

I remember Fallout 1 manual being really cool, and Baldur's Gate 1 had an awesome manual full of backstory and characters, and a huge thing at the back detailing all the D&D rules in the game. Arcanum's manual was also awesome and even had a recipe in it. I'm looking forward to my Wasteland 2 big box and manual.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Peas and Rice posted:

Ha, I pulled my set of this out yesterday as well.

For some reason though I cannot find my Wasteland box. I have everything else but not box, even the survival guide. WHAT THE gently caress. NOT OK.

I wish that was my set. I don't have ANY of my old PC games anymore, because I'm an idiot who throws stuff away too readily. On the flip-side it's not like I own anything that can read a floppy.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Al! posted:

I wish that was my set. I don't have ANY of my old PC games anymore, because I'm an idiot who throws stuff away too readily. On the flip-side it's not like I own anything that can read a floppy.

That's cool. We can't all be hardcore. :black101:

If you do want to play WL right off your floppies.. there are options.

Actually that thing only reads, not writes. Best you can do is copy your files to your hard drive. But still.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Al! posted:

Man, what an awesome boxart.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Little late to the party, but I've been waiting for this game for 20 years--I'm in for $100. I played the original religiously in high school on my Apple II, and it was one of the first games I broke over my knee--dozens of copies of Disk 3 to grind the robot sewers until my lead character was a General, and exploding enemies with my bloodthirsty Proton Ax-wielding team. (Seriously, Proton Axes were just broken. With the right skills they could do far more damage than even LAW rockets)

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

the black husserl posted:

edit: I guess a rainbow six style game would be cool, but SWAT4 AND R63 still hold up really well.

I donated to the Hardcore Tactical Shooter kickstarter for $100 as well as Wasteland 2 for 75 bucks, and while I agree SWAT4 and Raven Shield hold up well, it would be nice to see something more along those lines being made. ARMA controls like poo poo, and seems to confuse needless complexity for depth (do I really need buttons to salute and put earlplugs in?), as much as I appreciate the fact someone is still making a game like that, and Battlefield and COD aren't in the same league despite the cosmetic similarities, although Battlefield 3 is still an amazing game.

I do think there is more of a need for games like Wasteland at this point, though, but make no mistake, if somehow a SWAT 5 kickstarter happened I would have trouble not throwing all my money at it :allears:.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The RPG Codex 5k thing gave me an idea. You know what would be cool?

If, when you’re making a pledge, you could put a tag like #somethingawful or #nma or #reddit or whatever and that pledge would also count toward that community’s common money pool. And while we wouldn’t get, like, extra figurines and poo poo, we would get to name a town or put up a statue of Johnny Five-Aces or whatever other dumb meme we picked. You could have a separate system of tiers for communities with different in-game stuff. This, I feel, would lead to more pledges as people inside communities would try to get more people to pledge and there’d probably be some competition among communities and stuff like that.

Too bad Kickstarter doesn’t support this at all. But maybe a page could be set up where we could send screenshots of our pledges with “this is for #somethingawful”.

Anyone think this isn’t terrible?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

Every time I download a game from the Android MarketPLAYce I say to myself "X megabytes?! WASTELAN crammed a giant world of content and humor into two five-and-a-quarters! It also didn't require a 1GHz CPU and loaded faster from floppies (obscenities) wtf are you even doing"

I got rid of my original floppies way back when, and I payed like $70 for a copy of the Interplay 10th Anniversary to get a new copy recently. Put me down for $250 toward this project.

It better have a kickass team photo though :argh:
EDIT: (radios base) DOO DEE DOOO DOOO (salute)

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 14, 2012

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Well, I threw my $15 into the pile. I used to keep all of the boxes from games when I was a kid, the pile in my room was almost as tall as me. They all got tossed when I moved, though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am splitting my response into multiple posts because seriously I may not be able to keep up with new posts otherwise teehee!

Dewgy posted:

So I never played Wasteland and I don't even really like WRPGs/CRPGs that much, but gently caress it. This kind of thing is cool and I love this industry.
Hooray!

HotCanadianChick posted:

I've thought about throwing together an old Win95/DOS machine from time to time, but I really don't see the point in it when DOSbox works so well and is pretty much easier to use and setup than an actual DOS machine. Hell, if you don't want to mess around with making config files for each game, you can just use a GUI interface for DOSbox like D-Fend Reloaded and never type a single thing. It sure beats the old days where I had to make custom boot disks with menus in autoexec.bat so I could pick the correct EMS/XMS/CD driver/Mouse driver settings for whichever game I was planning to play.
Oh, I understand why someone might not really be interested in building a new DOS machine. It just happened that in the late 1990s my friend was about to throw out his awful Packard Bell but we then decided "wait a minute--this computer completely sucked for everything we did with it, but what if we put DOS 6.22 on it and used it for things developed BEFORE it was released? Then it might be great!" and sure enough it is. I would also never blame anyone who did not want to work with autoexec.bat and config.sys--I would not have had the patience for it if I had not spent so much of my life with those files anyway. I pretty much use the same ones for every game, with the occasional need to disable the mouse driver for that extra 3k of memory, yep, just typed that.

VendoViper posted:

Well they just got my money! Thanks for putting up this thread, otherwise I wouldn't have heard about the kickstart. Of course now instead of working at all today I am going to have to go rustle up a copy of Wasteland, I haven't played through that game in years.
I am glad to hear it. This is exactly why I wanted a thread here, because as far as I am concerned these are the best forums that can ever possibly exist, therefore we must engage in responsible Kickstarter stewardship! ....???

Copper Vein posted:

This might be my last chance for a new game in a proper big box, so I'm in. Guess I've got two years to struggle with whether or not to open it.
For only $250, you can play your extra digital copy and leave your autographed box intact! Actually, it sounds like even the $100 tier gets an extra digital copy to leave your deluxe box intact (though the concern about not being able to see your cloth map in that case is potentially valid).

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'll be pledging as soon as I can, but for now, I have a 17 hour busride ahead of me, and a laptop with Boxer (mac) and the original Wasteland.

Yeah buddy.
YES

Fwoderwick posted:

That said, it was my only experience of Wasteland and is enough for me to wonder about paying $65 for UK shipping. Although given the emphatic and slightly eye twitching encouragement I'll probably get from Quarex I guess that decision is already made.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Approaching $750,000. Probably there by the time you read this!

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Sergeant Steiner posted:

I do think there is more of a need for games like Wasteland at this point, though, but make no mistake, if somehow a SWAT 5 kickstarter happened I would have trouble not throwing all my money at it :allears:.

Okay, I see your point. I'd rather have SWAT 5 than ten Double Fine adventures. Hell they wouldn't even have to change the engine, just more levels. SWAT 5

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I don't want to jinx it, but it looks like they're going to hit their target within the first 48 hours.

Pretty awesome :)

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

God, I hope this form of development ends up becoming successful.

Average computing power and digital distribution being what they are, there's no need for publishers anymore. If all it takes is $100 from 10,000 nerds to get a good game nowadays, then we may as well have just entered a new golden age of gaming.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I really like that the average pledge is between 50 and 60 dollars, even though the minimum to get the game is 15.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

HiriseSoftware posted:

Donating at least $50... looking forward to igniting some Serpioids with my firelance!

Edit: I always imagined the "firelance" to be like, you know, a LANCE... not like the homage alien-looking pistol in Fallout 3.
It is funny, I actually thought the exact same thing, which was why despite being one of the biggest Wasteland fanboys ever, I did not even catch the reference in Fallout 3. "Oh, an alien gun with a funny name, whatever!"

Peas and Rice posted:

You know that like the entire original Wasteland design team is doing this project right, including Ken St Andre who hasn't done anything C-RPG related pretty much since the original?
Yeah, you literally might not be able to get a more exact copy of the original team with the people who are still alive and willing to work on a game today. Someone like Liz Danforth is probably not going to come back, because nobody knows her name anyway, or Bill Dugan or NISHAN HOSSEPIAN or some other people whose names you would remember if you stared at the game box for hours like I did, but still.

Pre-post edit: As I check Brian Fargo's Twitter feed and see him say "Liz Danforth is back on board--she did the Highpool map!" Jesus. He really is helping us all live the dream.

uftheory posted:

My point is I want to play WASTELAND again and this will, if anything, make that longing worse.
That does make sense--and considering what Brian Fargo said about how if they raise enough then they could probably release the game with modding tools, you could probably have a good fan-made reconstruction of the original Wasteland within a year of Wasteland 2's release if that were the case.

Jean Pony posted:

The $2,5k tier hasn't gotten any pledges. $1,5k for a blood sausage collectible does indeed seem steep and kinda lackluster compared to the $1k and $5k tier. Maybe they could've done $1k = become wepon or location $2.5k = become NPC.
I do find it funny that the Blood Sausage tier is being so thoroughly ignored. The funny thing is, I bet it will be a pretty awesome grotesque art piece, but I imagine not a lot of people are donating to this project due to their love of grotesque art pieces.

OMG KAWAII OCTOTRON DESUUUUU ^^;

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Social Dissonance posted:

If all it takes is $100 from 10,000 nerds to get a good game nowadays, then we may as well have just entered a new golden age of gaming.

I think people should temper their expectations somewhat, otherwise this will only end in a huge backlash. For every 5 games you support this way, only 1 will be really great, 3 will be okay and 1 will be crap. The reason to support them anyway is that all of them will be of a genre/type/whatever no big publisher would ever touch, so even the okay ones are a net win.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
Pledged my $15 to the cause! I never played Wasteland but Fallout owns so I imagine this will own too

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks everybody for your donations! Thanks also for (maybe) reading my endless posts!

Xik posted:

I think the new boxes are fine for what they are, but as someone who has an entire closet filled from top to bottom with old (well, and new) gaming boxes, it will be nice to add an intentionally retro-designed enormous box to my collection past the days when I thought any more were possible.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The pic I posted was of 5 1/4" disks, not 3.5" disks. Both sizes were called "diskettes", because they were both smaller than the original 8" disks of yore. I still have a copy of Darklands on 5 1/4" disks that I haven't been able to play in years because my only 5 1/4" drive died long ago and nobody makes them anymore.
1. I never knew that was the reason for the term "diskettes," thanks HotCanadianChick.

Also, I also hilariously have a copy of Darklands that I have no disk drive to run (I found it in a bundle with Daggerfall for $3 at the Gen-Con auction :aaa:). I am seriously considering the thing Peas and Rice posted about, because I have about 200 5 1/4" floppies that COULD HAVE ANYTHING ON THEM WHO KNOWS probably just saved games from Star Command and Might & Magic 2

Rinkles posted:

Loved that old EA logo.
Yeah, I bet you can trace Electronic Arts' change from "company who released all the best games ever" to "grrrrrr meanie-face!" to when they changed that logo.

Vince Videogames posted:

Man, what an awesome boxart.
Agreed ten million percent, naturally, but I am torn--the Apple II/Commodore 64 version that came in the record sleeve was simpler and more beautiful in some ways, though in cutting out even a tiny part of the original painting it is also kind of flawed:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Just a shade under $150,000 to go halfway through the second day.

I doubt this will end up with more than Double Fine's effort, I mean I really doubt it, but if it does it'll be great.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nilbop posted:

Just a shade under $150,000 to go halfway through the second day.

I doubt this will end up with more than Double Fine's effort, I mean I really doubt it, but if it does it'll be great.

Double Fine hit a million in 20 hours, IIRC, so this isn't really on track for that, but who knows if different audiences mean different donation trends. It's already starting very differently with a ton of huge 10k+ donations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Down for $100. Wasteland was one of the first computer games I remember playing.

If only I could pledge $10k since I probably live a few blocks from where the party could happen. Maybe I can crash it Paparazzi style.

• Locked thread