Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Carl Seitan posted:

You could always just go with lightning, since regular titanite chunks drop much more frequently.
My claymore is already fire +7. Unfortunately, it seems everything that drops red titanite chunks is either in the very last area in the game, or drops it very rarely and/or is nowhere near a bonfire.

EDIT: Hm, I have enough humanity to unlock the Izalith shortcut. What's the point at which humanity stops contributing to item discovery again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

My claymore is already fire +7. Unfortunately, it seems everything that drops red titanite chunks is either in the very last area in the game, or drops it very rarely and/or is nowhere near a bonfire.

EDIT: Hm, I have enough humanity to unlock the Izalith shortcut. What's the point at which humanity stops contributing to item discovery again?

It maxes out at 10, but it drops off sharply after two, I usually just pop two + gold covetous for farming. If you can find the secret bonfire in Lost Izalith inside one of the ziggurats, the run from it to the octos isn't too long and they drop chunks frequently with high item drop.

vv: 10 Humanity + Covetous (or Avarice) maxes your item drop, just fyi. Avarice and Covetous don't stack.

Read fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 15, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Looks like I need to farm up another 10 humanity then! :v:

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
I regret going fire zwei in NG for that reason, I did demon ruins/izalith last of the lordvessel areas and i was using +5 fire zwei all that time, not that i got any red chunks from izalith anyway, just the ember from DR. had that +5 fire up until the kiln where i racked up the requisite 9 chunks farming black knights for a goddamn shield :argh: . Contrast to lightning, where there are vastly more generic chunks available, multiple slabs, of which the stray demon's can be gotten before you even reach the giant blacksmith. the giant blacksmith who is conveniently located right next to a lordvessel warppoint, and not in a secret room at the bottom of a dungeon without convenient access. on the plus side, gwyn and nito among others are like petrol soaked rags vs fire. on the other handy that's what pyromancy is for (and/or +15 with fire pine resin) and theres no excuse to not have pyromancy. don't go fire zwei :colbert: .

edit: chaos is also acceptable

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh I've got a +5 Lightning Zweihander. I just want to bump up my +7 fire claymore.

And apparently the only fixed red slab is in Izalith! Welp.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah it's really dumb that lightning is easier to get AND better than fire in most cases. I have the chunks and slab to take a fire weapon all the way to +10 but I'd only do it for the achievement and I'd have to get to Vamos and his stupid horrible location at the end of a dungeon. The only advantage is you can get fire earlier if you happen to have green shards, good luck going all the way in and out without warp though!

Chaos may be better but I'm too paranoid about my humanity to keep it on me. I had enough on NG+ in item form to take Darkwraith covenant straight to +2 :/

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Is there a way to get a second Pyrmomancy Flame? Wiki-ing things indicates that I can trade one for another chunk, and every little bit helps. Can I put it in my box and convince Eyingi to cough up a second one maybe?

I do need to go through the Catacombs again at some point anyway, might as well get the materials to finish upgrading my claymore before I do.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What SL/platform are you on? I've got a bunch of gimmick builds that have red/blue chunks that I'll never need.

There's at least one or two guaranteed red chunks in Lost Izalith, in the sewer room where all te weird octupi critters are (where you get the red slab).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zereth posted:

... Is there a way to get a second Pyrmomancy Flame? Wiki-ing things indicates that I can trade one for another chunk, and every little bit helps. Can I put it in my box and convince Eyingi to cough up a second one maybe?

I do need to go through the Catacombs again at some point anyway, might as well get the materials to finish upgrading my claymore before I do.

Einigyi will give you a second one if you talk out all of his options, then go join the White Lady and get wormed, then come back with your worm and talk him out again. Some of those steps may not be needed but that's the only way I've gotten my two extra flames. Also, this has only ever worked on characters who didn't start as pyromancers. He's just like "hey since you're a bud here's a flame."

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Einigyi will give you a second one if you talk out all of his options, then go join the White Lady and get wormed, then come back with your worm and talk him out again. Some of those steps may not be needed but that's the only way I've gotten my two extra flames. Also, this has only ever worked on characters who didn't start as pyromancers.

It works on characters who started as Pyromancers, as well. It's a great way to get a second Red Titanite Slab in one playthrough.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Chaos may be better but I'm too paranoid about my humanity to keep it on me. I had enough on NG+ in item form to take Darkwraith covenant straight to +2 :/

From what I've seen the scaling off your Humanity isn't even anything huge, the weapon itself starts off pretty mean though. I have a Chaos Murakumo (+5) with liquid humanity in the teens area and it tears people up well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EC posted:

What SL/platform are you on? I've got a bunch of gimmick builds that have red/blue chunks that I'll never need.

There's at least one or two guaranteed red chunks in Lost Izalith, in the sewer room where all te weird octupi critters are (where you get the red slab).
PS3, 64. I'm done for the... sun's up, so I guess day, though. I'm hterez on PSN and often found in the Painted World alternately invading or assisting people.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Is poison/toxic mist bugged? Apparently it is good for poisoning groups of enemies, but I have yet to see it actually 'do' anything besides make a big cloud in people's faces while they hit me. Toxic mist is kind of good for making a fancy ninja escape in a small space however.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
They work. It's just the enemy has to sit in the mist for a little while. Poison throwing knives are better for poisoning anyway.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Mist pyros pretty much only work for PvE, the cast is so slow and the effect takes a while to build up (especially with armor/humanity bonuses) so most human players can avoid it.

For fun, try poisoning all the Phalanx in the Painted World. If you get them all the game can't render all their damage indicators at once, so from a distance the numbers twinkle like stars :allears:

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
The only thing I hate about this game is the fact that you can miss so much on your playthroughs. On the other hand, it is kind of the charm, but I hate it when I read afterwards that I should've done or found this or that.

I've rang the both bells now, sitting at level 34 with 15 VIT, 14 ATT, 18 END, 20 STR, 14 DX, 16 INT and 8 FAI. I'm using the Gold-Hemmed Black Cloack as my overall armor, a 7+ Spider Shield and the Drake Sword.

How long until I get something that could replace the Drake Sword in terms of my stats? I could level up my strenght a little bit, but I'd rather keep my level low for maximum summoning and invading.

Also, I've now explored Darkroot Garden, got the Wolf Ring and some other small stuff, and I decided not to move on to the Forest Hunter place after getting my rear end whooped. Next, I'm going to kill that lava beast near the spider lady and probably move on to the newly opened gate (where that onion-headed knight was sitting). Am I missing something crucial? I've already kicked Lautrec to his oblivion, but I don't dare wear his ring (at least not until there's absolutely no reason to swap it off).

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

These Loving Eyes posted:

Am I missing something crucial? I've already kicked Lautrec to his oblivion, but I don't dare wear his ring (at least not until there's absolutely no reason to swap it off).

Going in to Sen's Fortress (the place whose gate was opened) is the next step after ringing both bells, and there's really no reason not to go there and the proceeding area immediately. You'll get a Lightning Spear in the next area if you search around, which is what most people use until they get their weapon of choice. It's not bad if you upgrade it, but it's still a Spear. I wouldn't use a Slab on it unless you really just can not wield anything else. Spears are pretty awful for PVP.

Weapons to consider looking for otherwise would be the Zweihander and Claymore if you plan on building your Strength up. My favorite physical stat weapon is the Black Knight Great Axe, but that's something you won't get until the end of NG (which is by no means the end of the game, but you don't need to get the stats for it right away or anything).

Other weapons to consider would be the Black Knight Sword (not the Greatsword) and the Great Scythe if you plan on going Dexterity. The community decided "endgame" level is SL 120 so you have plenty of room to play around. With how much you'll improve at this game, combined with the Bottomless Box glitch, it's not too hard to just make another character for the sole purpose of PVPing with whatever weapon/armor.

Do your first playthrough for fun, worry about min/maxing and 100%ing afterwards. I had the most fun when I had no idea what was going on.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I haven't touched this game for a few weeks now because I think I hosed myself over. I had just met the praise the sun guy when I met someone online who helped me (read: did all the hard work) ring the first bell. Now I guess I'm severely underleveled or I don't have any good gear because the knights in the church absolutely wreck me. Is it possible to recover from this? I made it back to Firelink at least.

I really love Dark/Demons Souls but I'm absolute poo poo at them :(.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
The guys with tatty capes? You're fine. I'd recommend taking the elevator back up and sparring them as practice though, since you're finding them tough. It'll prepare you somewhat for similar enemies.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

I've rang the both bells now, sitting at level 34 with 15 VIT, 14 ATT, 18 END, 20 STR, 14 DX, 16 INT and 8 FAI. I'm using the Gold-Hemmed Black Cloack as my overall armor, a 7+ Spider Shield and the Drake Sword.

How long until I get something that could replace the Drake Sword in terms of my stats? I could level up my strenght a little bit, but I'd rather keep my level low for maximum summoning and invading.

Considering you have 16 INT pretty much any Magic weapon will be way better than the Drake Sword at this point. All you need is a Normal +5 weapon and some green shards to make a Magic weapon. Green shards drop from the leeches in Blighttown pretty regularly. Two drops will get you all the way to Magic +5. The blacksmith at the beginning of New Londo Ruins does Magic/Enchanted upgrades btw.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

SMP posted:

I haven't touched this game for a few weeks now because I think I hosed myself over. I had just met the praise the sun guy when I met someone online who helped me (read: did all the hard work) ring the first bell. Now I guess I'm severely underleveled or I don't have any good gear because the knights in the church absolutely wreck me. Is it possible to recover from this? I made it back to Firelink at least.

You can totally recover. Drop your white summon sign at the side door of the church and assist some other dudes with the gargoyles - you'll get better at that part of the game, and you'll collect a bunch of souls that you can use to upgrade weapons or level.

It's possible to parry and riposte or backstab the Balder knights in the church - try to kite them out one at a time and practice.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

MysteryNad posted:

Considering you have 16 INT pretty much any Magic weapon will be way better than the Drake Sword at this point. All you need is a Normal +5 weapon and some green shards to make a Magic weapon. Green shards drop from the leeches in Blighttown pretty regularly. Two drops will get you all the way to Magic +5. The blacksmith at the beginning of New Londo Ruins does Magic/Enchanted upgrades btw.

Thanks for this! I'm already having problems in Sen's Fortress, so I guess I'll try upgrading my second best normal weapon. I'm not that good at parrying and riposting (especially since fumbling twice in a row usually kills you) so it's really hard to just circle around the lizard men slowly ticking away their health. I've got some great pyromancy stuff, but it's no help when the regular enemies at Sen's are that tough..

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

SMP posted:

Levels/gear help in dealing and reducing damage but there's another way - avoiding damage altogether. Just pay attention to the surroundings, observe the enemies and learn what moves they have at which range and how they telegraph them, and pick your fights.

If you're having trouble fighting a specific enemy, it's less about level/gear and more about just not being used to their tricks. I don't think it's too far-fetched to say that those knights have wrecked most of us on our first playthrough. That's Dark/Demons Souls - you run into an obstacle and die, retry, die, retry, die.. and eventually you figure out how to win. Then you run into another obstacle and repeat the process. :)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Moskau posted:

Levels/gear help in dealing and reducing damage but there's another way - avoiding damage altogether. Just pay attention to the surroundings, observe the enemies and learn what moves they have at which range and how they telegraph them, and pick your fights.

If you're having trouble fighting a specific enemy, it's less about level/gear and more about just not being used to their tricks. I don't think it's too far-fetched to say that those knights have wrecked most of us on our first playthrough. That's Dark/Demons Souls - you run into an obstacle and die, retry, die, retry, die.. and eventually you figure out how to win. Then you run into another obstacle and repeat the process. :)

I remember first spotting that one knight guarding the shield, just after the Bull. I'd just beaten that area for the first time, and I'd figured out parrying pretty much for the first time in doing so, I was feeling pretty badass about the whole deal.

So I sneak up to the dude and backstab him, HAH! How about THAT motherfu-Oh shiiiiiiiit!

Ran back to the steps a lil ways away and tried out-dodging him, only to have a hollow dude come up and stab me with his spear.

That area actually killed me more than anywhere else in the game, I think. First thing I did when I opened the Kiln was to go back and kick 10 shades of poo poo out of everything in the Burgs.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

So my brother got back into Dark Souls last night since I've been playing a lot recently, he had only ever gotten to the first belltower for a boss though. Around 9pm he said he only planned on playing for an hour or so and I acted as kind of a guide and we called it a night around 5am :v:. Got him through capra demon, gaping dragon, Quelaag, and now he's slowly making his way through Sen's Fortress. He did all of that with a +5 Estoc and watching him plink away at enemies with it after coming from my Zweihander was pretty hilarious.

He killed a Black Knight in the asylum and got one of their swords though and loving it so he's been using that. Watching him fighting those reptile guards in Sens with an Estoc was just sad.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Found out a little while earlier that if one of the worm things in the demon ruins grabs you, just mash the buttons on your controller and move the control sticks as fast as you can. Turns out, freaking out on the buttons/sticks drastically reduces how long they keep hold of you. Saved my life a couple of times doing that.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I had a message from some random DkS person about a big forest event on 3/24. This isn't the link that he sent, but he's quoted in the first post:

quote:

Greetings to all of my forest hunters, GraveLords and Forest Darkwraiths – this thread is to provide information on the upcoming mass forest invasion to really show campers we will take back the forest - at least for a little while.

This event is planned for Sat, Mar 24th - this is so the mass invasion doesn't interfere with a FC event occurring on Sat, Mar 17th.

I plan to set-up a voice conf. bridge (for US based players) and chat session (either Yahoo Chat or Google chat - for US and non-US players) so we can have centralized control and communications. We will also try to maintain a kill list using the white board functionality within the chat session.

This event should allow lower level forest hunters to be able level-up in the covenant, GraveLords to amass EoDs from kills & gifting from other forest invaders and Forest Darkwraiths to gain new found humanity. Also, all invaders should be able increase their PVP experience for dealing with 3v1, 2v1, 1v1v1, etc situations.

I will be updating this top post with all pertinent information (conf. bridge #, chat session URL, etc to allow members in the covenants noted above to join in on the fun.

Anyone having specific ideas to ensure the success of this event - please post - all ideas will be evaluated and considered.

http://forums.demonssouls.info/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=15050

Anybody from here going to participate? I would usually be invading in the forest ANYWAY, but it'll be fun knowing a lot of people are online at the same time.

Fibby Boy posted:

Found out a little while earlier that if one of the worm things in the demon ruins grabs you, just mash the buttons on your controller and move the control sticks as fast as you can. Turns out, freaking out on the buttons/sticks drastically reduces how long they keep hold of you. Saved my life a couple of times doing that.

The only reason to ever attack those things is to get purposely infected by the eggs. Otherwise, just run past them.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

The only reason to ever attack those things is to get purposely infected by the eggs. Otherwise, just run past them.

I was farming green titanite shards and red titanite chunks off them. Didn't know they infected you too. I thought only the guys with eggs on their backs could do that?

Edit: And I'll probably give this mass invasion a shot. Doubt I'll do much but it'll be fun watching all the different reactions people have from being poisoned.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 15, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the egg guys.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SMP posted:

I really hope you got to firelink through the church vs. running all the way back. You are fine though. Those guys are supposed to be pretty tough at the beginning.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I decided to take my SL62 Wolverine gimmick invading this afternoon, and it's not going well. I've lost five straight matches. Most of it is just being staggered by dudes with giant swords, so I'm going to rearrange some armor and see what what I can do about poise. Maybe even toss the Wolf ring on. Any suggestions for light armor with relatively high poise?

I am getting a LOT more backstabs, though, which is a good thing. The flip ring makes it fairly easy to get behind big slow dudes. It's still really hard to get used to not having a shield.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Gilgameshback posted:

You can totally recover. Drop your white summon sign at the side door of the church and assist some other dudes with the gargoyles - you'll get better at that part of the game, and you'll collect a bunch of souls that you can use to upgrade weapons or level.

It's possible to parry and riposte or backstab the Balder knights in the church - try to kite them out one at a time and practice.

When fighting the knights, take it slow. Keep your shield up, wait for them to drop their guard, hit them, retreat, and repeat.

They're still fun to fight; I love the humanoid knight type enemies the best. I've got a Black Knight Greatsword that I'm not using but I'm still hoping for a Baldur Side Sword.

The gargoyles were easy; I just hit them a bunch and spammed Fireball. Make sure you cut off their tails; I didn't.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

I've got a Black Knight Greatsword that I'm not using but I'm still hoping for a Baldur Side Sword.

Is there anything special about the Balder Side Sword? I have one but don't see anything special stats-wise.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

The easiest way I found to deal with most of the human sized enemies is to let them hit you with your shield up and right as they begin to recoil just wail on them. This is really helpful if you're using heavier weapons because of how they'll leave you open.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

You get two more chances to chop off a Gargoyle tail if you miss it on the Parish roof.

nic olas
Apr 28, 2003

Is there anything special about the Balder Side Sword? I have one but don't see anything special stats-wise.

It has a sweet move set.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's the only straight sword (which have great, balanced movesets) with good scaling and does a lot of damage for how fast it is.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Count Chocula posted:

When fighting the knights, take it slow. Keep your shield up, wait for them to drop their guard, hit them, retreat, and repeat.

They're still fun to fight; I love the humanoid knight type enemies the best. I've got a Black Knight Greatsword that I'm not using but I'm still hoping for a Baldur Side Sword.

The gargoyles were easy; I just hit them a bunch and spammed Fireball. Make sure you cut off their tails; I didn't.

Gargoyle Tail Axe is total garbage. The only redeeming feature is that it looks funny when you use it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Finally killed Paladin Leeroy and got to Nitos room. This fucker's worse than Seath. Toxic while I was trying to heal from the fall to get down to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If you're carrying it, Nito's Tomb is one of like 3 places in the game where Fall Control makes sense.

• Locked thread