Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Cage Kicker posted:

In my own experience, as long as it's not a live-fire exercise, you'll probably get to play. Otherwise, attach yourself to someone knowledgeable and pick their brain.

Do what Cage Kicker said.

Also, going forward, find any classes you can take and train like mad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Val Helmethead posted:

Do what Cage Kicker said.

Also, going forward, find any classes you can take and train like mad!

Speaking of classes: Burn Day is the Best Day.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Passed our yearly PFT.

I should be exempt from it next year for not blacking out after having to blow in that thing 7 times.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Just wanted to post here that (even though I've been a volunteer for about ten years), I just got my FFI/FFII Pro Board certificates last night. It's nice to be official, finally!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
http://vimeo.com/13184388

Trailer has me loving /pumped/ for this movie. Looks like it's going to be the best fire movie ever made, imo.

(Also I watched Ladder 49 last night and holy poo poo is it terrible)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Also we're finally getting GPS in the trucks, thank god.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting the chance to possibly hop from the X-Town Volunteer Fire Department and Retirement home, where fun is absolutely NOT approved, to "Is the far out? Gud." small city volunteer fire department with a bar that takes up half the meeting room...should this even be an issue?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

dexter6 posted:

Just wanted to post here that (even though I've been a volunteer for about ten years), I just got my FFI/FFII Pro Board certificates last night. It's nice to be official, finally!

Hell yeah! I'll be taking my FFI test in April, and have all the pre-reqs to sign up for the FFII class immediately afterwords. Collecting Certifications is way more fun than it has any right to be.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

invision posted:

Also we're finally getting GPS in the trucks, thank god.

What do you use now? Your phone's?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

What do you use now? Your phone's?

Mapbooks and dispatch directions like "Caller reports a structure fire, states that it is fully involved....address is...uhh....caller failed to provide address, says it's by old steve's house, right past the train tracks, take a left at the oak tree, and it's down about half a mile right next to jimmy bob's"

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
It's about time to put the indian packs back on the brush truck. Who doesn't love hauling a 50lb super soaker into the middle of a field?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Reminalt posted:

It's about time to put the indian packs back on the brush truck. Who doesn't love hauling a 50lb super soaker into the middle of a field?

Me. I don't. At all. That's why I grab a rake or pulaski when I get out.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Indianapolis Fire Department is doing a process. First class is supposed to be 25 firefighters. Indy.gov look at jobs. You can apply online. Only a week left to apply.

IFD takes guys without training. Even with certs you go back though everything ( just do not have to do state tests ). Your end of class ranking is your seniority. IFD has about 1300 firefighters with 46 stations. We do ALS nontransport, HAZMAT, RESCUE, pretty much everything you want to do they will pay for you to go. In 150 years IFD has never laid a firefighter off.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Is there a way that I could test for that without actually flying to indy?

e:is there a way to test for out-of-state or other-side-of-the-state departments without actually being there? Like some kind of testing facility or something?

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

invision posted:

e:is there a way to test for out-of-state or other-side-of-the-state departments without actually being there? Like some kind of testing facility or something?

I have never seen or heard of such a thing, and I seriously doubt it.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
FDNY is doing it, since their written is computer based. I've heard of testing sites in NY outside of NYC, CT, Philly, and I feel like I heard they went as far as Florida, not sure though.

So it can be done, but most departments probably aren't big enough and don't attract the amount of people to make it worthwhile to do that. Plus they usually like locals more anyways, so you gotta be willing to travel to take the test.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

senor punk posted:

FDNY is doing it, since their written is computer based. I've heard of testing sites in NY outside of NYC, CT, Philly, and I feel like I heard they went as far as Florida, not sure though.

So it can be done, but most departments probably aren't big enough and don't attract the amount of people to make it worthwhile to do that. Plus they usually like locals more anyways, so you gotta be willing to travel to take the test.

One of the small departments around here had questions on their test such as:

1. List the names and addresses of all the hospitals and nursing homes in the area.
2. What route did you take to this testing centre?

I understand the preference for locals but there are a lot of skilled, qualified people out there.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

No way. You have to be scheduled to take a written test.

I have not heard of anyone doing testing that way. I think its a way of weeding ppl out.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

smooth.operator posted:

One of the small departments around here had questions on their test such as:

1. List the names and addresses of all the hospitals and nursing homes in the area.
2. What route did you take to this testing centre?

I understand the preference for locals but there are a lot of skilled, qualified people out there.

This is ridiculous and clearly biased towards people who already work EMS in the area.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Sorry man but 80% of our job is EMS. A huge majority of large Fire Departments are mostly paramedics. If you are doing a Fire Science Degree you are wasting a shitload of your money. Most places will not even look at you unless you are a paramedic. I always researched the area where I applied. If you do not even know your most active areas, then you do not know your area. Its all about service and need.

I feel so sorry for you guys that are trying to get jobs. Remember to study the exam guides and do the study sessions. Remember the fire department hiring process is about who wants it the most.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Loco179 posted:

Sorry man but 80% of our job is EMS. A huge majority of large Fire Departments are mostly paramedics. If you are doing a Fire Science Degree you are wasting a shitload of your money. Most places will not even look at you unless you are a paramedic. I always researched the area where I applied. If you do not even know your most active areas, then you do not know your area. Its all about service and need.

I feel so sorry for you guys that are trying to get jobs. Remember to study the exam guides and do the study sessions. Remember the fire department hiring process is about who wants it the most.

I'm aware of all of that. But testing on someone's familiarity with the locality does not say anything about their abilities, it just gives bias to people from the area. Someone who is good with directions and learning their way around a city will learn that in a few months time, and it shouldn't even matter since how often do the brand new guys drive?

If the department needs paramedics then require applicants to be medics, or work something into the system to reward people who show up as paramedics, but I think the test itself should be a level playing field for anyone taking that.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

senor punk posted:

I'm aware of all of that. But testing on someone's familiarity with the locality does not say anything about their abilities, it just gives bias to people from the area. Someone who is good with directions and learning their way around a city will learn that in a few months time, and it shouldn't even matter since how often do the brand new guys drive?

If the department needs paramedics then require applicants to be medics, or work something into the system to reward people who show up as paramedics, but I think the test itself should be a level playing field for anyone taking that.

Sorry man I see that as some effort to get to know the department your applying for. You have to go beyond what they want now. I always researched the department and area I was applying for. I guess experience pays off. Most places already reward people for being paramedics. I honestly feel sorry for someone that is not a paramedic...lol They will not say that is what they are looking for. It really is what they are looking for.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
It really sucks for the people who aren't interested in medicine.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

It really sucks for the people who aren't interested in medicine.

As much as I want to like EMT stuff, I don't.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
They want them so much that just being a Paramedic almost puts you at the max for education in a promotional process. If you look at most big fire departments you see them doing more and more EMS.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Loco179 posted:

Sorry man I see that as some effort to get to know the department your applying for. You have to go beyond what they want now. I always researched the department and area I was applying for. I guess experience pays off. Most places already reward people for being paramedics. I honestly feel sorry for someone that is not a paramedic...lol They will not say that is what they are looking for. It really is what they are looking for.

I would be fine with that process if it was for private industry, but it just doesn't sit well with me for civil service hiring. Professional certification (ie paramedic cert) is one thing, but rewarding people with somewhat intangible knowledge is completely different. That said, it is not your policy, so I don't blame you for just making it known that that's how that department does hiring. I became a paramedic for the exact reason thats that you state. While FDNY is a holdout on the EMS front (engines respond to EMS runs however they only act as CFRs) being a paramedic got me a well paying job in the department and a chance to take the firefighter exam as a promotion instead of as joe blow off the street.

invision: I think it grows on most people. If you want a fire job though Loco179 is right, and I'd strongly suggest becoming a paramedic to help get you there. Even if it doesn't directly help (like in my case) I make a good $20k+ more a year [than an EMT], got hired a lot faster by FDNY EMS, and get access to better special event details (dignitary protection details, for example).

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

For our departments paid staff, EMT-B is required, with only a few Paramedics (the people that already had Paramedic before joining). Us volunteers don't need anything at all, and it's not like we even have a medical unit. But then again, Pittsburgh is a strange place, where when the fire service was asked to run the ambulance / QRS services back in the day, their response was "Screw you, we're a FIRE Department." And the sentiment trickled down from the city into the rest of the region, and remains that way to this day.

Now our ambulances are run by for-profit companies, as are the paramedics / EMTs that come with them. That being said, because our department is a combination department, we're running QRS calls if there are no teams available from the local medics. Our goal in those is just to stabilize the patient until the actual medics can get there, but I'm still planning on getting my First Responder so that I can be more useful on those calls (and the vehicle entrapment calls) than as just a dumb volunteer running around handing tools I don't know the names of to the EMTs.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
When I was first starting out in the fire service I didn't want to be a paramedic either. I learned pretty quick that being a paramedic was the only way I was going to get hired as a full-time firefighter. Now that I have a full time job, I love being a paramedic. It's challenging, rewarding, and you can actually provide a lot of service to someone without waiting for some other guy you dont know to take over the call. In my opinion, if you want to do firefighting as a career, you should really take the time to decide if you want to become a paramedic because it is a large chunk of what you will do in the field.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
Took the FDNY written exam today and it was... interesting. I'll get into specifics later. Here's hoping I did well enough to get promoted some time in the next 4 years!

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
So I was just told, today, that FDNY has a minimum acceptable uncorrected vision involved in their medical screening. Is this accurate, and if so...what's the damage for Lasik these days :(

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

ReebTop posted:

So I was just told, today, that FDNY has a minimum acceptable uncorrected vision involved in their medical screening. Is this accurate, and if so...what's the damage for Lasik these days :(

2500 to 4000.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Are you sure they'll take you if you've had Lasik? PRK is the standard for people in those types of jobs AFAIK. Worth looking into if you aren't sure.

e: PRK is cheaper and doesnt leave a scar but your vision is poo poo for weeks

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

moker posted:

Are you sure they'll take you if you've had Lasik? PRK is the standard for people in those types of jobs AFAIK. Worth looking into if you aren't sure.

e: PRK is cheaper and doesnt leave a scar but your vision is poo poo for weeks

I guess I meant that as more of a catch-all term. I've been basically blind, uncorrected, since preschool, but I correct to 20/20 or better in both eyes. It would be so incredibly disappointing for my vision to screw me out of the process.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

ReebTop posted:

I guess I meant that as more of a catch-all term. I've been basically blind, uncorrected, since preschool, but I correct to 20/20 or better in both eyes. It would be so incredibly disappointing for my vision to screw me out of the process.

Ah, if you're serious about it hit up a place that does it. They should give your eyes a look for free(they run several tests) and tell you what you're eligible for. For example, my corneas are too thin so lasik was a no-go for me. It doesn't take long, and anecdotal I know but PRK took me from 20/400 with astigmatism to 20/20 without. Also, if you can pay for it at once be sure to ask for a discount. I got 10% off just for paying it all at once.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
I don't know what their cutoff is for uncorrected but getting lasik or prk or whatever (we'll just say "getting your eyes zapped") does not disqualify you. At my last annual physical I had a chat with the doctor there and he told me that he doesn't really worry about most vision problems because they can be corrected nowadays, and then it's taken care of. They care A LOT more about general physical fitness and how much of a fatass you appear to be, since you will likely stay that way for most of your life and that's where the problems are (HTN, high cholesterol, diabetes, CAD, etc). So certainly look into getting your eyes fixed, and start saving up for it, but it's more important to hit the treadmill.

My guess is there is going to be time since the court has to certify the exam and that's going to be a shitshow. I will be asking again in August when I have my annual physical again, and will be sure to find out details for ya.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Hey guys, I have zero knowledge or experience in firefighting, but my great uncle did. He died a few years ago, so I don't know what sparked this today, but I was doing some research on him knowing he had some vague connection to firefighting, and it turns out he may have been a bigger deal than I realized.

He wrote Branningan's Building Construction for the Fire Service, and thinking back to his funeral, there was a pretty impressive procession and flag display from firetrucks...

I don't really know what the point of this post was, sorry. I guess I was curious to see if anybody was familiar with that book or anything else Frank Brannigan has contributed to the field, and just to say that he was a pretty cool dude.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

BobTheCow posted:

Hey guys, I have zero knowledge or experience in firefighting, but my great uncle did. He died a few years ago, so I don't know what sparked this today, but I was doing some research on him knowing he had some vague connection to firefighting, and it turns out he may have been a bigger deal than I realized.

He wrote Branningan's Building Construction for the Fire Service, and thinking back to his funeral, there was a pretty impressive procession and flag display from firetrucks...

I don't really know what the point of this post was, sorry. I guess I was curious to see if anybody was familiar with that book or anything else Frank Brannigan has contributed to the field, and just to say that he was a pretty cool dude.
Very familiar. It's basically the bible and should be on every fire fighter's shelf or wish list.

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 21, 2012

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004
Frank Brannigan is a fire service legend and that book is pretty much canon on building construction.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Well that's pretty awesome to hear. :3: I'm glad he was able to help you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Any ideas on what I should do with 10000 feet of LDH?

• Locked thread