Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
Sorry if this has already come up, but my favorite that comes to mind recently is the missions in GTA4 and The Lost and the Damned mission pack that go hand in hand.

For those that haven't played one or either, there is a mission in GTA4 where Niko has to oversee a cocaine deal between Johnny the biker and another gang. The deal is botched and everyone scrambles, leaving the protagonist without the money or the coke. It is presumed that Johnny took off and screwed Niko over. One of the first few missions of TLATD, where Johnny is the protagonist, you are put into the same situation and see the other side of it.

This is the best one I think, but there are several other cutscenes and such where Niko makes an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RazorDX posted:

Sorry if this has already come up, but my favorite that comes to mind recently is the missions in GTA4 and The Lost and the Damned mission pack that go hand in hand.

For those that haven't played one or either, there is a mission in GTA4 where Niko has to oversee a cocaine deal between Johnny the biker and another gang. The deal is botched and everyone scrambles, leaving the protagonist without the money or the coke. It is presumed that Johnny took off and screwed Niko over. One of the first few missions of TLATD, where Johnny is the protagonist, you are put into the same situation and see the other side of it.

This is the best one I think, but there are several other cutscenes and such where Niko makes an appearance.

If anyone's interested, here's a thread about how GTA4 and the two DLCs fit together: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=430301

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
In Harvest Moon 64, you have a cool dog that lives with you on your farm and runs around barking and flapping his ears and peeing on stuff. His various animations alone are great, but one of the villagers in town also has a dog. You can take your dog over to the dude's house and leave him there for a few nights. Afterwards, they have the most adorable puppies that you can see running around being cute from then on.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Primoman posted:

I really love any game that has raindrops, dirt, frost, or other environmental effects smeared on your screen.

I know lots of games use that trick nowadays, but it still impresses me most of the time. Heavy Rain in particular made real good use of it.

But I was especially impressed in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, when the screen would gradually get covered in frost while navigating the room where you fought Vulcan Raven.

Keep in mind, though, that I only like when developers use it for an aesthetic effect, not to simulate health damage.

That poo poo just gets annoying.

Metroid Prime was amazing for stuff like this, I'll never forget the first time I stepped off the ship on Tallon Overworld, looked up in the sky and saw raindrops splatter on Samus' visor. Or walk through a steam vent and see it fog up. Or saw Samus' face reflected in it when a bright light goes off nearby.

By far the coolest touch Metroid Prime had though was with switching beam weapons. Beam weapons were represented on your hud with four little seemingly abstract symbols, switch to the x-ray visor though and you'll see that they are in fact representations of hand movements that Samus makes inside the cannon as you switch between them. Took me about three playthroughs to spot this.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Moon Man posted:

I noticed in TF2 that, If you use the boxing gloves for the Heavy Weapons Guy, the hand he punches with is based on which mouse button you click with (Left punch for left click, right for right). I don't know why, but I like that.

Another TF2 thing I read (I don't play) was that when a spy is disguised, his eyes will always follow the closest member of the enemy team. Like he's watching them to make sure they're not onto him or just sizing them up for a backstab. The guy who said that also wondered how many people were subconsciously alerted that something wasn't right by the subtle visual cue.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Vicissitude posted:

The guy who said that also wondered how many people were subconsciously alerted that something wasn't right by the subtle visual cue.

Probably very few people, if any. The game is so fast-paced you don't really have time to see if your team-mates have shifty-looking eyes. Still, if it's true (case in point, been playing for years and have never seen it) then that is a cool little thing.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Holistic Detective posted:

Metroid Prime was amazing for stuff like this, I'll never forget the first time I stepped off the ship on Tallon Overworld, looked up in the sky and saw raindrops splatter on Samus' visor. Or walk through a steam vent and see it fog up. Or saw Samus' face reflected in it when a bright light goes off nearby.

Can't believe I forgot about this.

It's not just a still face image either....her eyes blink and also track your movements.

When they showed that off in one of Nintendo's preview videos, my jaw dropped.

But I think my all-time favorite factoid to drop on people is the ice cube bucket in MGS2.

When you shoot the bucket, the ice cubes that are close together melt slower than the ice cubes that are by themselves.

Minds continue to be blown by this...including my own.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Holistic Detective posted:

By far the coolest touch Metroid Prime had though was with switching beam weapons. Beam weapons were represented on your hud with four little seemingly abstract symbols, switch to the x-ray visor though and you'll see that they are in fact representations of hand movements that Samus makes inside the cannon as you switch between them. Took me about three playthroughs to spot this.

:stare: Are you serious?
I've played Prime countless times and I guess I'm just incredibly thick. poo poo, now I want to buy a Gamecube again.

In Skyrim (Post-MQ Spoilers) When you get back from Alduin's fortress, the dragon you forced into submission will fly around The Throat with Paarthunax (if he is still alive and why wouldn't he be, huh? :colbert:) and be best buds. If I am correct, he won't be there if you call him far away and fast travel to The Throat.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Primoman posted:

Can't believe I forgot about this.

It's not just a still face image either....her eyes blink and also track your movements.

In Prime 3 her face actually changes to reflect the extent of her corruption.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The first time I saw Samus' face reflected, it frightened the life out of me. I was playing in the dark and there was this face staring at me all of a sudden.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
The quiz game series You Don't Know Jack is great for these little touches.

If you buzz in before the host has a chance to read the question, he'll get all indignant and force you to type in your answer, rather than selecting from four options as normal.

If you have a large lead ahead of your opponents and choose not to buzz in on a question, the game will call you wuss and buzz on your behalf.

For typed responses, you can also repeatedly piss off the host by typing in 'gently caress You', eventually resulting in the game shutting down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQFaqZ5Z89E

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
-loving around in Skyrim and shot an arrow at a bird flying around, expecting the usual immortal/etherial bird thing where the arrow does nothing, only to be astounded that not only did I hit it, but you could find and loot the little bastard after it plummets to the ground.

-Banter in Dragon Age: Origins. Oghren's veiled dick jokes are the best thing :3:.

-Running up and kicking random people in the junk in Saint's Row the Third.

Edit to add: Playing Battlefield 3 multiplayer on Caspian Border and a loving radio tower fell on me. I had that cartoony moment where the coyote has an expanding shadow around him and can do nothing but stare as a giant boulder/rocket/jumbo jet bears down on him, and it was awesome.

Mauzeraut has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Mar 15, 2012

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
People taking a piss in Red Dead Redemption was pretty cool. I usually waited or tried to wait for them to finish before I shot them.

Also, the taxis in GTAIV were neat, especially because you can just sit there and go for a ride.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was actually a little annoyed they didn't have a piss button. They have a "tip your hat" button as a compliment, but no pee on command button. Unsure about surprise peeing though, because I have been chased by bears and cougars a lot, and I am pretty sure I would have tinkled a little after that fucker pops out of the brush the first time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mauzeraut posted:

-loving around in Skyrim and shot an arrow at a bird flying around, expecting the usual immortal/etherial bird thing where the arrow does nothing, only to be astounded that not only did I hit it, but you could find and loot the little bastard after it plummets to the ground.

Like the first goddamn thing I ever did in that game. Escape the fortress, dodge the bear, yak in the town, oh hey a bird let's shoot it

OH!

Oh my. I'm sorry little computer game hawk.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I did the same thing but I blew it up with a fireball instead. And after that a grabbed a butterfly and ripped its wings out. The perfect game :allears:.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So that's how you get hawk feathers.

I'm always short antlers, pearls, and hawk feathers.

Fuoco posted:

The quiz game series You Don't Know Jack is great for these little touches.

If you buzz in before the host has a chance to read the question, he'll get all indignant and force you to type in your answer, rather than selecting from four options as normal.

If you have a large lead ahead of your opponents and choose not to buzz in on a question, the game will call you wuss and buzz on your behalf.

For typed responses, you can also repeatedly piss off the host by typing in 'gently caress You', eventually resulting in the game shutting down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQFaqZ5Z89E

I always got a chuckle out of Cookie saying "So, you're playing with yourself?" when you'd play solo. In the new version of the game, if you don't want to put your name in he will assign you one. If multiple people are assigned names, they usually correspond with each other. I'm trying to remember them, but so far the only ones that come to mind are "Princess" and "Pea".

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Jibo posted:

I always got a chuckle out of Cookie saying "So, you're playing with yourself?" when you'd play solo. In the new version of the game, if you don't want to put your name in he will assign you one. If multiple people are assigned names, they usually correspond with each other. I'm trying to remember them, but so far the only ones that come to mind are "Princess" and "Pea".

You now get achievements for things like "played 5 single player games on friday and saturday nights." It was one of the first ones I got.

Also in the new game, the question number animations are usually the same each episode, but there are slight changes now and then. Like normally the one for 6 is 6 breakdancing to "Six is a robot! Six is a robot!" Every now and then it's followed by number 6 telling you "I love you" in a robotic voice. :3:

But the best was that several episodes tell a story, which I'll spoiler because I think it's a great surprise. Normally 4 is "Everybody cuartro! Everybody cuartro!" with four 4s dancing in a conga line. Until one episode, the front 4 is shot at the end of the song. Then over the next few episodes rather than the normal animation you see: a police murder scene, the other three 4s attending the funeral, 4's grave, the other three 4s dancing sadly, and the other three 4s hiring an f to be the front man.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
I always liked in the Megadrive/Genesis Sonic games using a second controller would control Tails. Made the game easier at times, especially in the 2nd games special stage but also meant in Sonic 3 & Knuckles you could take alternative routes and find otherwise inaccessible areas by having Sonic grabbing onto Tails as he flies around.

I also like mucking around in minigames that have little purpose or relation to the main game I'm playing’s narrative. Day of the Tentacle was great for that in being able to play the original Maniac Mansion and Red Dead Redemption for playing a few rounds of Poker.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Slavik posted:

I always liked in the Megadrive/Genesis Sonic games using a second controller would control Tails. Made the game easier at times, especially in the 2nd games special stage but also meant in Sonic 3 & Knuckles you could take alternative routes and find otherwise inaccessible areas by having Sonic grabbing onto Tails as he flies around.

I also like mucking around in minigames that have little purpose or relation to the main game I'm playing’s narrative. Day of the Tentacle was great for that in being able to play the original Maniac Mansion and Red Dead Redemption for playing a few rounds of Poker.

The best part of Red Dead Redemption (my favorite game of all time, incidentally) was Liar's Dice. Sometimes I'd just fire up the game, walk into the saloon, play Liar's Dice for a couple hours, then turn the game off without touching any other aspect of gameplay. Such a fun game, I'm glad they took the time to put in all those pointless little diversions and details.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The best part of Red Dead Redemption (my favorite game of all time, incidentally) was Liar's Dice. Sometimes I'd just fire up the game, walk into the saloon, play Liar's Dice for a couple hours, then turn the game off without touching any other aspect of gameplay. Such a fun game, I'm glad they took the time to put in all those pointless little diversions and details.

I generally loathe mini-games but Liar's Dice was drat fun. Plus the commentary during it was great.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Actually the best part of Red Dead was cheating at poker and getting caught then dueling in the street.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oppenheimer posted:

Actually the best part of Red Dead was cheating at poker and getting caught then dueling in the street.

You got caught? Just bet max every time and your opponents will back out like pussies.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mauzeraut posted:

-Banter in Dragon Age: Origins. Oghren's veiled dick jokes are the best thing :3:.

It's a pretty thin veil.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
More of a loincloth, really.

tank is raid leader O.K.
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck you say about the Emperor?

Partly a neat feature, and partly a request for more information.

In Mass Effect 3, When you visit Diana Allers early in the game, she is just finishing filing a report. In that report, for me anyway, she mentioned that "Adelaide, Australia, a city of four million people" was wiped out.

Now, that being my hometown, that hit me pretty hard, and actually went a little way to giving me some motivation for the war. So my question is...is that dialogue the same for everyone? Or has Bioware inserted some sneaky "Which town are you closest to" mechanic into the game? I haven't been able to find anything on the subject. Are there any American or Euro goons who can tell me if that's the line in all versions?

If it's a sneaky edit, then it's an awesome one. If it's actually in the script, then hey, it's even more awesome.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

dasbrooner posted:

If it's a sneaky edit, then it's an awesome one. If it's actually in the script, then hey, it's even more awesome.

Someone brought this up in the Mass Effect subreddit, and no-one said anything about the line being different so I'd imagine it was just a coincidence.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ShrewdOrganMerchant posted:

Marvel Vs Capcom 3 has tons of unique intros for certain pairs of characters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zuKWmBkuU

Not only that, but when you switch characters in the middle of a fight, the outgoing character will call the incoming character's name, and this varies depending on the relationship between the characters. For example, Iron Man and Captain America will refer to each other as "Tony" and "Steve", Wolverine and Magneto as "Logan" and "Eric", and Hulk... well, just watch for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DMtokWvJqM

I always liked Dante's intro with Viewtiful Joe myself. Very start of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDP41G_u2Dw

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
In Dark Souls, if you get cursed and die you can come back and see your body, now turned to stone. Apparently in multiplayer you can see other player's bodies.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

MadRhetoric posted:

The Boss in Saints Row The Third singing "What I've Got"

Apparently there are different dialogues in the 3rd game depending on who you take on missions and what voice you use.

I loved punching people's hats off in The Warriors.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

You can also pick them up and wear them for extra points, and the Warrior wearing them will comment on how dumb they look. Plus you can keep knocking off Cowboy's stetson and stealing it and he'll keep whining to give it back.

Another nice detail I liked is that cops don't care if you beat up on other gang members, and will comment about how pleased he is that trash is cleaning up other trash. And that you can steal their handcuffs and detain other cops with them, who have specific dialogue for when you do.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Jibo posted:

I was playing this game a little over a week ago on a Monday night and Donny wished me a Happy Casimir Pulaski Day. Totally caught me off guard.

God, I love this game!

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Petit Gregory posted:

I was playing this game a little over a week ago on a Monday night and Donny wished me a Happy Casimir Pulaski Day. Totally caught me off guard.

God, I love this game!

This game is crazy with details, burying a ton of dialogue options that may or may never be heard. There's a TV spinoff version of You Don't Know Jack that asks a question about Dallas. Now, if I remember correctly, one of the answers has to do with Dallas' dream season, where an entire season is explained away as being a character on the show's dream. Picking that answer spurs this conversation between the host and another character. The host is confused why the other character is there, who reveals he's not and that this in fact IS just all a dream. There's a screen dissolve and it boots you back to the main "How Many Players" prompt. Mind you, this is MID-game and there's zero expectation that you're just going to get dropped out of playing.

Explaining all that makes me wonder if I DID actually dream that.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

dasbrooner posted:

stuff about Adelaide

It's Adelaide in the script.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's a shame that YTKJ The Ride felt a lot more scripted until near the end. Instead of having a random list of questions from a tiered table, you choose a theme at the beginning but the choices are always in the same order. Then again, I only got to the end once and I remember it being pretty dark...

...Maybe I just fell down a shaft.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Count Chocula posted:

Apparently there are different dialogues in the 3rd game depending on who you take on missions and what voice you use.
you should check out the mission with the STAG disguise. 7 different dialogs by one voice actor.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

You can hitch a ride with any bird or fish in Shadow of the Colossus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-VlrkbTRmk&t=70s

I always make sure to do this with the doves in the shrine.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I love it when there's a good incentive to do sidequests in games, instead of the basic doing good/doing evil for the sake of it.

Baldurs Gate II, for example, had you collecting 20k gold so you could hire an organisation to help you do something that you couldn't do yourself.
Mass Effect 3 has you helping out in/preparing for the war effort.

I miss that in a lot of games. I mean, I still do sidequests in other games, but I enjoy them a lot more when there's a good reason to do them.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

In Mass Effect 3 when you meet that reporter from ME2 that you could punch in order to shut her up. You have the option to renegade-action punch her again, but she ducks and laughs as she knew it was coming, but then you just hook her in the gut anyway!

(not a major spoiler but a funny surprise I don't want to ruin for anybody who hasn't really started yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Prawned posted:

In Mass Effect 3 when you meet that reporter from ME2 that you could punch in order to shut her up. You have the option to renegade-action punch her again, but she ducks and laughs as she knew it was coming, but then you just hook her in the gut anyway!

(not a major spoiler but a funny surprise I don't want to ruin for anybody who hasn't really started yet)

I think my favorite part is, if you miss the second prompt, she gets her revenge and knocks you on your rear end!

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Sep 23, 2012

• Locked thread