Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I really wish there was some sort of Netflix like service that let you check out books and return them at a later date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

How weather proof is the D7000 with the 18-200 vr ii and 35mm 1.8G lens? I'm going yo shoot a music festival with a rain forecast. I'm going to buy a shower cap and get a sturdy rubberband to enclose the camera. Are there any other precautions I should take? I've seen videos on YouTube of people soaking their camera with a shower head (D7000) but their lens was weather sealed as well. Any tips for shooting in the rain?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 7, 2012

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Nope. But thanks for reminding me, gonna go along and see what they do have.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm headed that way too and was thinking about a drobo or something.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I think this was gone over in this (or some) thread previously but I can't find it for the life of me.

Assuming the same focal length and aperture, DOF gets smaller when you move from crop to full frame, right? With the reasoning being that you'd have to be closer or zoom more to maintain the same composition?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
No. Depth of field gets smaller going from crop to FF if the subject is the same size in the image. The image has become bigger, so to make the subject larger within the FF image (to match the crop image), you have to either use a longer focal length or move closer. Longer focal length at same aperture gives a shallower DoF, and moving closer at same focal length and aperture also gives a shallower DoF.

I can't recall off the top of my head which effect is greater, but you can figure it out with a DoF calculator pretty quickly

edit: think of it this way; the lens doesn't know or care what sensor is behind it, so if the only thing you change is the sensor, the image will remain unchanged (just include extra stuff off to the side of the subject).

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 8, 2012

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Captain Postal posted:

edit: think of it this way; the lens doesn't know or care what sensor is behind it, so if the only thing you change is the sensor, the image will remain unchanged (just include extra stuff off to the side of the subject).

Don't forget the sensor size affects which magnification is required to get to a given output size.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Don't forget the sensor size affects which magnification is required to get to a given output size.

The lens makes an image circle and it gives precisely zero shits as to what you place in that image circle. Physics! :science:

yeti wants to know if changing the sensor only will change the image produced by a lens. It won't.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

geeves posted:

It's worth the read, check it out from the library. But it's very very basic.

Last fall I bought The Speedlighter's Handbook and it had far more useful with detailed information about the camera and its settings that was useful before it got in to talking about using a flash.

Is there something like the Speedliter's Handbook but for Nikon or any TTL flash?
How much of the book actually applies specifically to Canon Speedlites?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Krelas posted:

Is there something like the Speedliter's Handbook but for Nikon or any TTL flash?
How much of the book actually applies specifically to Canon Speedlites?

I think it's pretty much irrelevant what system you use. He goes over the lighting setups and modifiers, not so much about the actual specs of the flash. I think there's a section in there about Canon's flash capabilities, but in my opinion the book is definitely still worth it for Nikon users. The most valuable information in it applies across the board.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yeah, I have the same book, but all my flashes are Nikon. The information is still the same, you just have to 'convert' for Nikon flashes.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

the yeti posted:

I think this was gone over in this (or some) thread previously but I can't find it for the life of me.

Assuming the same focal length and aperture, DOF gets smaller when you move from crop to full frame, right? With the reasoning being that you'd have to be closer or zoom more to maintain the same composition?

Judging by your post you meant "field of view" rather than "focal length," right? Since if you zoom you are changing the focal length. In this case, you are pretty much correct, although DOF is a lot more complicated than that in reality. Part of the problem is that people have different definitions for it. Some people refer to the degree of background blur, or bokeh. This effect is definitely stronger for larger sensor formats, given the same aperture and field of view.

The other thing you can talk about is the region of critical focus, where the blur is small enough to not be noticeable. "Not being noticeable" depends on the print size, the size of the pixels, the viewing distance, and the quality of the viewer's eyes, so it's pretty subjective. This depends more on the number of pixels your subject fills rather than the size of the sensor. Since in general full-frame cameras have more pixels than crop cameras, at large print sizes this will usually also be shallower for a full-frame camera.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Is there anyone the provides insurance policies on cameras for accidental damage?

Climbing Mt Washington in pretty bad weather later this month; I'd REALLY like to bring my 60D + kit, but I dont want to risk $2k in lenses without insurance.

I've got a request for quote into my homeowners insurance; but still looking for options.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ShadeofBlue posted:

Judging by your post you meant "field of view" rather than "focal length," right? Since if you zoom you are changing the focal length. In this case, you are pretty much correct, although DOF is a lot more complicated than that in reality. Part of the problem is that people have different definitions for it. Some people refer to the degree of background blur, or bokeh. This effect is definitely stronger for larger sensor formats, given the same aperture and field of view.

The other thing you can talk about is the region of critical focus, where the blur is small enough to not be noticeable. "Not being noticeable" depends on the print size, the size of the pixels, the viewing distance, and the quality of the viewer's eyes, so it's pretty subjective. This depends more on the number of pixels your subject fills rather than the size of the sensor. Since in general full-frame cameras have more pixels than crop cameras, at large print sizes this will usually also be shallower for a full-frame camera.

What I meant was to maintain your composition either you have to get closer or else you can't have the focal length the same, but in retrospect I didn't lay down my thought process terribly clearly in any case. It sounds like I was thinking in the right direction, in any case.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm going to take pictures in a tropical swimming pool and i have a limited amount of time to work with. I got a limited amount of time to work with and I'm worried about acclimatising my camera so I don't waste to much time walking around with a fogged up lens. The person at the pool told me previous photographers had left their material behind the night before. Not really comfortable leaving my stuff but is this recommended?

Grazing Occultation
Aug 18, 2009

by angerbutt

Walked posted:

Is there anyone the provides insurance policies on cameras for accidental damage?

Climbing Mt Washington in pretty bad weather later this month; I'd REALLY like to bring my 60D + kit, but I dont want to risk $2k in lenses without insurance.

I've got a request for quote into my homeowners insurance; but still looking for options.

Your renter/homeowner insurance company should be able to add coverage. That's pretty much the only option I've heard of.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Grazing Occultation posted:

Your renter/homeowner insurance company should be able to add coverage. That's pretty much the only option I've heard of.

Yeah; that's what I ended up doing.

I'm going to ruin the gently caress out of my gear. But it's insured now, at least.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

How weather proof is the D7000 with the 18-200 vr ii and 35mm 1.8G lens? I'm going yo shoot a music festival with a rain forecast. I'm going to buy a shower cap and get a sturdy rubberband to enclose the camera. Are there any other precautions I should take? I've seen videos on YouTube of people soaking their camera with a shower head (D7000) but their lens was weather sealed as well. Any tips for shooting in the rain?

Dont submerse it. You can go out in light to moderate rain with your D7000 and 18-200/35mm lens.

One thing ive seen people use is a Lance Armstrong bracelet around lens where it butts up against the mounting plate on the camera. You can get Optech rain coats for less than 10bux if you really want to not trust Nikon Engineering.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Musket posted:

Dont submerse it. You can go out in light to moderate rain with your D7000 and 18-200/35mm lens.

One thing ive seen people use is a Lance Armstrong bracelet around lens where it butts up against the mounting plate on the camera. You can get Optech rain coats for less than 10bux if you really want to not trust Nikon Engineering.

Is the weatherproofing on the D90 significantly worse than the D7000, or does basically the same advice apply?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Didn't some goon post pics from inside a water balloon fight? I remember he used a ziplock back with a cheap UV filter to cover the objective.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Got the idea from Pompus Rhombus:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spf3million/sets/72157626500780879/

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

uwaeve posted:

Is the weatherproofing on the D90 significantly worse than the D7000, or does basically the same advice apply?

The D90 is missing most of the sealing that the D7000 has. The D7000 is mostly weather sealed but not as much as the next tier of bodies are.

D90 good for a small bit of rain, D7000 good for a good downpour, D700 can last in a hurricane.

I would 100% buy Optech rain coat for a D90 before i would worry about buying them for a D7000.

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
I recently purchased an SB-910 which comes with hard plastic color correction filters. Are these necessary to use all the time or is it something that can be corrected in post with white balance settings?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

greatapoc posted:

I recently purchased an SB-910 which comes with hard plastic color correction filters. Are these necessary to use all the time or is it something that can be corrected in post with white balance settings?

If the flash is very different in temperature than the ambient light, you might have some problems.

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.
I recommending doing a series of test shots under different lighting conditions and with different filter combinations so you can appreciate the difference. I did this with a tripod and did some self portraits, holding up a hand held sign with the various settings written on it for each different shot. It was useful.

It's especially important to use the filters if you're exposing for ambient light and using the flash for fill. I once shot someone in a room lit by incandescent lights with a naked flash and the room behind them was lit by "white" compact fluorescents. The results were...interesting.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

uwaeve posted:

It's worse, although I have taken my D60 (no sealing at all as far as I know) out in damp weather without any problems. Not a downpour, but it definitely got wet. Of course, with electronics everything works perfectly until one drop of water gets in the wrong crack and it shorts out something important.

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 29, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yes sirree. That's a cool find.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's worse, although I have taken my D60 (no sealing at all as far as I know) out in damp weather without any problems. Not a downpour, but it definitely got wet. Of course, with electronics everything works perfectly until one drop of water gets in the wrong crack and it shorts out something important.

I've had the same experience with my D5000. I've taken out in light rain, shooting from a kayak, traipsing around in creeks, etc. etc., and even though it's been splashed a bit and gotten rained on, there've been no problems.

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 29, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How long can I keep a shutter open before anything happens to the camera? I've heard the CMOS can apparently overheat. An idea I had was to put a ND filter on the camera and use a small aperture, to get a long exposure of a sunset.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
You will get hot pixels if you go pretty long, but you can edit those out pretty easy. Ive taken 5min exposures before without worry of the sensor heat, i just had to do a bit of cleaning in post.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

How long can I keep a shutter open before anything happens to the camera? I've heard the CMOS can apparently overheat. An idea I had was to put a ND filter on the camera and use a small aperture, to get a long exposure of a sunset.

If the sun is pretty close to setting then you probably wouldn't have to worry about it. Long exposures in the middle of the day can, however, damage the poo poo out of your sensor.

A rule of thumb that I am making up right this second is "If it's comfortable to stare at the sun then you're ok with taking a long exposure shot of it. If it hurts to look at the sun, then don't slow your shutter speed tooooo much."

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Musket posted:

You will get hot pixels if you go pretty long, but you can edit those out pretty easy. Ive taken 5min exposures before without worry of the sensor heat, i just had to do a bit of cleaning in post.

Most modern digital SLRS have a custom function called "long exposure noise reduction" what is does is lake an equal length exposure with the shutter closed and then removes all the matching hot pixels from the actual image.

Pretty loving clever.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

AceClown posted:

Most modern digital SLRS have a custom function called "long exposure noise reduction" what is does is lake an equal length exposure with the shutter closed and then removes all the matching hot pixels from the actual image.

Pretty loving clever.
It's a waste of time. It's also not that important to use since ACR/Lightroom are supposed to automatically notice hot pixels and remove them.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
What is it about a good rainstorm that makes colors look so wonderful afterwards? :allears:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Clean air.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

AceClown posted:

Pretty loving clever.

My P&S does this, which is nice unless it's really cold and you have to wait double the amount of time for each shot. We must suffer for our art

quantegy
May 18, 2002
Funny coincidence with that earlier Nikon FM post. I have a Nikon FE that has been in the closet for years, and I finally pulled it out today. It seems to be in very good shape, got a couple batteries from Target and it seems to work fine. The only thing I see that needs to be repaired are the light seals and mirror foam. It seems fairly straightforward to replace them with a kit from ebay, is that right? Anything else I should clean up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quantegy posted:

Funny coincidence with that earlier Nikon FM post. I have a Nikon FE that has been in the closet for years, and I finally pulled it out today. It seems to be in very good shape, got a couple batteries from Target and it seems to work fine. The only thing I see that needs to be repaired are the light seals and mirror foam. It seems fairly straightforward to replace them with a kit from ebay, is that right? Anything else I should clean up?

Ebay foam kits are great, one guy sent me an extra because it was missing one of the tools. They sometimes include several different lengths of foam to fit several cameras, make sure you use the right length. Then it's a matter of following the instructions, and just get rid of all the previous foam and residue with the alcohol swabs. Also use a swab and/or brush to dust off the mirror and pentaprism as best you can.