Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Did they not have the rights to use the original SH3 audio? Why in the world would they redub it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Scyron posted:

Will "I am Alive" be dropping on the PSN soonish? Getting a bit overwhelmed with the flood of new games, DLC, and trophy hunting old games.

I certainly hope not, because it's pretty legitimately Not Good, and I've championed some Not Good games in the past.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Man that's a real bummer hearing that the Silent Hill HD Collection is kind of HD for HD's sake and not with attention or love to what made the orginal games creepy. Changes such as the music, lighting and the griminess of the levels mean none of the original magic will be there :( Oh well, money saved for Downpour.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Scyron posted:

via policenaut's post in SH thread.

It's official, this gen is physically incapable of processing colors.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crappy Jack posted:

I certainly hope not, because it's pretty legitimately Not Good, and I've championed some Not Good games in the past.

Yeah, 'I am Alive' is, well, awful.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Man that's a real bummer hearing that the Silent Hill HD Collection is kind of HD for HD's sake and not with attention or love to what made the orginal games creepy. Changes such as the music, lighting and the griminess of the levels mean none of the original magic will be there :( Oh well, money saved for Downpour.

Yeah the whole "games already exist on the PC and look pretty decent" adds another layer of weirdness to this. I played SH2-The Room (ugh) on the PC and I'm almost certain they looked better than the HD releases.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I seriously can't figure out why you would clean up Silent Hill. I don't get it. Even from just a "we are lazy" perspective it doesn't make sense. I was really looking forward to replaying SH2 too. I've got a copy but my PS2 has been on its last legs for a while.:smith:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Tale of Graces f is pretty fun. I had honestly forgotten why I liked Tales games in the back of my mind, because the last one I played was Legendia and that was pretty bad. It's a very pretty game, and the battle system is a lot of fun. I stayed up later than I care to admit playing it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
More RoFchat: I kind of wish I could go back and not just AP round my way through that tough battle I had before, because I think I have finally mastered the art of "juggling motherfuckers so much they can barely move, let alone attack"

That's how I made it through the "fight four battles against piledriver giants" side mission in chapter 10, level 6 fights. Run dual-SMG Zephyr by one, attack attack attack juggling and weakening his armor, then run dual pistol Vashyron next to him peeling off armor and continuing to juggle. It's risky because I wasn't recharging hero gauge too often, but once I blew a big enough hole in his armor, all it took was one fully charged dual SMG attack to fully scratch then I just ran Vashyron in for the kill. I think one of them attacked me once, otherwise it was smooth, if not time consuming, sailing.

I think I could probably non-cheese win that other battle now. Maybe in NG+.

Also, Hawkeye is awesome. Always seems to kick in at the best times.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I really should go back to RoF someday. I didn't get all that far in it because it came outa week before Yakuza 3, which was a higher priority for me. And either I go back and I don't know where I am in the story, or I start a new game and can't stand to re-do old battles. I've restarted it about 3 times and abandoned it each time for reasons I can't comprehend. Also, I end up wasting more time than I really should playing dress-up with Leanne.

The battle system is realy fun, so I hope it comes back in a future game.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

I seriously can't figure out why you would clean up Silent Hill. I don't get it. Even from just a "we are lazy" perspective it doesn't make sense. I was really looking forward to replaying SH2 too. I've got a copy but my PS2 has been on its last legs for a while.:smith:

Ever since Homecoming, it's been pretty obvious that Konami has no idea what to do with the franchise or what people saw in it in the first place. Just take a look at Downpour and you'll see.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Man that's a real bummer hearing that the Silent Hill HD Collection is kind of HD for HD's sake and not with attention or love to what made the orginal games creepy.
Yep, another $40 bucks saved. Shame, I wanted this because I never had the originals on PS2, although I do have the PC versions somewhere.

Should probably get the MGS HD Collection instead.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SpacePig posted:

I really should go back to RoF someday. I didn't get all that far in it because it came outa week before Yakuza 3, which was a higher priority for me. And either I go back and I don't know where I am in the story, or I start a new game and can't stand to re-do old battles. I've restarted it about 3 times and abandoned it each time for reasons I can't comprehend. Also, I end up wasting more time than I really should playing dress-up with Leanne.

What the hell is this RoF game you all have been talking about.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Resonance of Fate.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
So with Shenmue getting an HD remake on PSN, is there any more word to the rumor that Skies of Arcadia might be getting one too?

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 16, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

I actually just went back to it yesterday, in the same situation as you. And holy hell clothes are expensive. A new dress for Leanne (I should say, a color variation of the one she already has) costs the same as like 35 hand grenades. Hm...which one will help me in combat more...

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Cardboard Fox posted:

So with Shenmue getting an HD remake on PSN, is there any more word to the rumor that Skies of Arcadia might be getting one too?
:aaaaa:

Hoooly poo poo, that's amazing news. I was literally just thinking an hour ago about how I'd love to have Shenmue on PSN, but I never thought that would actually happen.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SpacePig posted:

I really should go back to RoF someday. I didn't get all that far in it because it came outa week before Yakuza 3,

Oh hey, I think I just figured out why I never really played it before. :v:

So good though. Frustrating at times, but only because I'm doing something dumb and I need to pay more attention. The battle system is awesome an the enemy design is just so good. What other game lets you fight dogs wearing fedoras carrying katanas in their mouths? And a giant monster that wears a truck cab for a helmet / face mask and appears to be half diesel truck, complete with gunning its engine at you during the intro to the fight?

Also,

quote:

Also, I end up wasting more time than I really should playing dress-up with Leanne.

... Yeah, this. :respek:

And like Sanders said, poo poo's EXPENSIVE. Her jean skirt is like $195,000 or something. :psyduck: I better get a drat trophy just for buying that, because good lord that's almost as much as a new gun [or more so, I think one of the pistols is only $100k]. Thankfully everyone else's gear has been easy to find just unlocking hexes [or was cheap enough in store]. Pretty sure that's how I got Vashyron's pink sunglasses, which actually look pretty awesome.

There is that trophy for spending money on clothes, so I guess that can be justified that way. :v:

I love how they have so much meta-clothing, like RoF shirts / Sega shirts. It's just so funny to me.

e. What's great about the clothing is that all of the cutscenes are in-engine, meaning they're actually wearing their outfits in all of them. I thought that was cool.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 16, 2012

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Shenmue/Skies of Arcadia HD would be awesome. I never got to play Skies and I was in some sort of stomach flu fever dream when I played through (most) of Shenmue. I don't remember much and it was like 10 years ago. Actually the scene where Ryu grabs leaves out of the air between his fingers sticks out for some reason.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Cardboard Fox posted:

Not yet, I don't think. But one of Sega's Brand Managers has said that they know fans want it. Article via Destructoid

I'd say if sega knows that, then there's a good chance we'll see it sometime. Especially if we're already getting a JSR port.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Code Jockey posted:

Her jean skirt is like $195,000 or something. :psyduck:

Hey. Hey. Don't buy this unless you're, like, super into panty shots. I made that mistake, and then had no money and never used it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SpacePig posted:

Hey. Hey. Don't buy this unless you're, like, super into panty shots. I made that mistake, and then had no money and never used it.

Her entire move set is designed around looking at her panties.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^ See I didn't find anything so far to be revealing, I have her on her type B outfit and she's like wearing leggings or something, not that I'm being some major weirdo but I kept thinking "drat it game don't get creepy on me" and was happy that up till the below, it hadn't really

SpacePig posted:

... what?

Oh god. Okay, yeah, I won't. I liked how it looked, too, from the preview.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Resonance of Fate is all about making your characters look fabulous. I was unlocking every available hex each chapter just to get all that snazzy clothing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Yeah, me too. I ran out of hexes so drat fast.:(

Code Jockey posted:

... what?

Oh god. Okay, yeah, I won't. I liked how it looked, too, from the preview.

Yeah, it looks super-nice, and goes with pretty much all of her shirts, but it has this bizarre set of physics where you're never not seeing her panties in some way. God forbid if you jump.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Miijhal posted:

Resonance of Fate is all about making your characters look fabulous. I was unlocking every available hex each chapter just to get all that snazzy clothing.
Or in my case about making it look like they got dressed in the dark. Bright pink shirts and yellow pants for everyone!

I mean, the enemies are all dressed like lunatics so why not my characters too?

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, it looks super-nice, and goes with pretty much all of her shirts, but it has this bizarre set of physics where you're never not seeing her panties in some way. God forbid if you jump.
Did anyone else notice that especially Leanne's arms move in a really weird way when she runs? I'm used to silly anime girl ways of running (some people even do it irl in Japan, grown women, you wouldn't believe it until you saw it), but the way her arms flop around is just bizarre.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 16, 2012

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Have been hoping for Skies of Arcadia HD forever :( never beat the game because my Dreamcast GD-ROM drive gave up. Come on Sega you bastards. Pretty sure I'm just going to have to buy another Dreamcast because Sega will never do it

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It might be cheaper to track down the Gamecube port.

Although I'd first wait if anything comes of that HD rerelease rumor.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Haha Amazon has the Gamecube version for the low low price of 130 bucks. Looks like Dreamcasts have gone up in price too though

whaley fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 16, 2012

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
If they do release an HD remastering of Skies of Arcadia, I hope it's the Legends version. To my knowledge there's more content, more sky battles, and the addition of the Most Wanted list.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

SpacePig posted:

I have 60 hours in RoF and more time than I want to think about was spent playing dress-up.

Also I have to have a few hours free before I even boot the game up - last time I spent 90 minutes customizing one SMG. It's not finished.

To anyone thinking of starting the game, consider looking up and exploiting the infinte money trick. By the time you can use it, all your good stuff is coming from the Tinkerer and nobody sells the items you need for it. I got up to 6 million rubies and have never had a problem for money since.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Azruelli posted:

If they do release an HD remastering of Skies of Arcadia, I hope it's the Legends version. To my knowledge there's more content, more sky battles, and the addition of the Most Wanted list.

And less frequent random battles apparently. It also would be the best HD remaster ever, including an HD remake of Soul Nomad and the World Eaters

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Shalinor posted:

... and if you're not mashing the chatter button happily by the end, you're an unfeeling monster and I just don't know what to tell you :unsmith:
Me and my Journey companion were doing just that. At some point we were even playing a game of "Chirpback" were I would chirp a sequence like short-short-short-long-short-short and he/she would repeat it back to me. Then later they would do it and I'd repeat it back. :)

Journey is a very neat game and I wouldn't at all mind some new places to travel via DLC or even a full blown sequel.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Miijhal posted:

Resonance of Fate is about a 16 year old girl with a bee on her head filling mutants full of bullets from two sub-machine guns while leaping upside down through the air.

So basically, the best game.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

teekun posted:

Resonance of Fate is about a 16 year old girl with a bee on her head filling mutants full of bullets from two sub-machine guns while leaping upside down through the air.

So basically, the best game.

Bee hat is the best hat. Really the only extra piece of clothing you need.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Azruelli posted:

Not yet, I don't think. But one of Sega's Brand Managers has said that they know fans want it. Article via Destructoid

I'd say if sega knows that, then there's a good chance we'll see it sometime. Especially if we're already getting a JSR port.

A story starting to pick up is supposedly Sega has already finished Shenmue 1 and 2 HD but is holding them back as they figure out what they actually want to do with Shenmue as a franchise. That last part could actually hold up though, Yu Suzuki has wanted to finish Shenmue for over a decade now and has talked about either buying the rights to the franchise or working with Sega to complete it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Policenaut posted:

A story starting to pick up is supposedly Sega has already finished Shenmue 1 and 2 HD but is holding them back as they figure out what they actually want to do with Shenmue as a franchise. That last part could actually hold up though, Yu Suzuki has wanted to finish Shenmue for over a decade now and has talked about either buying the rights to the franchise or working with Sega to complete it.

As much as I'd like to see the saga continue, I hope they look at the Yakuza series as inspiration on how to proceed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wamdoodle posted:

As much as I'd like to see the saga continue, I hope they look at the Yakuza series as inspiration on how to proceed.
The plot has already gone straight into Indiana Jones territory though. I have no idea where they were planning to go from there but I don't know how it could be "walk around town, collect figures from vending machines" anymore.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

The plot has already gone straight into Indiana Jones territory though. I have no idea where they were planning to go from there but I don't know how it could be "walk around town, collect figures from vending machines" anymore.
"walk around town, collect figures from vending machines and give them to Haruka" :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

All I can remember is that Ryo is supposed to go deeper into mainland China to the city of Luoyang in 3. It'd probably play out like 2. Everything is toned down and you're just doing the regular Shenmue thing, then you're getting involved with mobsters and more fights, and by the end you're running through giant skyscrapers fighting chainsaw-wielding transvestites and having climactic battles on rooftops.

Anyway the real answer is that Ryo Hazuki figures out how stupid everything is and returns to Japan dejected and starts a life of crime, changing his name to Kiryu Kazuma. And now you know the rest of the story!

• Locked thread