Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Policenaut posted:

All I can remember is that Ryo is supposed to go deeper into mainland China to the city of Luoyang in 3. It'd probably play out like 2. Everything is toned down and you're just doing the regular Shenmue thing, then you're getting involved with mobsters and more fights, and by the end you're running through giant skyscrapers fighting chainsaw-wielding transvestites and having climactic battles on rooftops.

Anyway the real answer is that Ryo Hazuki figures out how stupid everything is and returns to Japan dejected and starts a life of crime, changing his name to Kiryu Kazuma. And now you know the rest of the story!

Not gonna lie, I'd play the hell out of either one of those scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yakuza 4 already has the canon answer if you look into the adult videos. Ryo returns to Japan, gets a sex change and works in the adult film industry under the name Ryoko Hakuzi. The film she's in is "Gals Gone Wild in Yokosuka" wherein she picks up some sailors.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Wamdoodle posted:

As much as I'd like to see the saga continue, I hope they look at the Yakuza series as inspiration on how to proceed.
Oh god no, that would SUCK. Yakuza is okay and all, but making Shenmue that way would ruin a lot of what I love about it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
What the gently caress happened to the combat in Mass Effect? I didn't have any problem with it in the first two games but gently caress the combat in Mass Effect 3. I keep losing the same drat battle because they keep throwing guys at you from every loving direction and getting shot takes me from full shields and health to dead in under a second. There is literally no loving time to react.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

...! posted:

What the gently caress happened to the combat in Mass Effect? I didn't have any problem with it in the first two games but gently caress the combat in Mass Effect 3. I keep losing the same drat battle because they keep throwing guys at you from every loving direction and getting shot takes me from full shields and health to dead in under a second. There is literally no loving time to react.
Weird, I didn't notice any difficulty change in the combat at all, I walked right into 3 doing the same things I did in 2 and had the same level of success.

edit: there are more large-sized tough enemies and fewer small-sized tough enemies, but other than that...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 17, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Aardark posted:

Oh god no, that would SUCK. Yakuza is okay and all, but making Shenmue that way would ruin a lot of what I love about it.

Shenmue could use a lot from Yakuza's advancements in mini-game and collection technology. Not too sure about the combat but Yakuza's at somewhere around the point of 100 hours of optional content with Dead Souls, gotta be some gold for Shenmue to hit there.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Sucks that the Silent Hill collection is lame because I loved Silent Hill 2 and would have relished the chance to play the others. But I think I can overlook it because the Ratchet and Clank collection looks completely loving awesome.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Policenaut posted:

Shenmue could use a lot from Yakuza's advancements in mini-game and collection technology. Not too sure about the combat but Yakuza's at somewhere around the point of 100 hours of optional content with Dead Souls, gotta be some gold for Shenmue to hit there.

So looking forward to this. I promise, still sealed copy, as soon as I beat RoF... [I'm even considering delaying platting it for you, how about that?]

As for RoF: Holy crap, the battle with Lagerfeld vs. Zephyr mano-a-mano. Once it clicked how to beat it it was cool but drat, that came out of left field. I liked it though - Fighting with two people already makes you have to fight really differently, but drat, fighting with one especially against a dude who teleports most of the time a bullet hits him definitely threw me for a loop in a good way. Ended up giving Zephyr the best pistol and SMG I had, then hero actioning with the SMG until I was actually able to stun him and make all the shots connect, which full scratched. took a few times. Is there a better way of doing this fight?

So... yeah, best game.

e. hahaha and best trophy set, I just earned a very interesting one. Tera-Driver - for loading a terabit of data off of the disc. :v: That's kinda neat. And it was a silver!

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 17, 2012

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
First time I did that fight i disregarded the message telling me that you need both HG and MG. The trick to him is jumping over him and shooting him on the back and it took me forever to figure it out since i was dicking around with the walls.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Can you ever fire a SMG and a handgun at the same time and do scratch and direct damage together?

I'm on chapter 5 myself, and starting to really run into some cold hard number discrepancies between how much damage I can do under even the best conditions, and how much damage the enemies are doing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can you ever fire a SMG and a handgun at the same time and do scratch and direct damage together?

I'm on chapter 5 myself, and starting to really run into some cold hard number discrepancies between how much damage I can do under even the best conditions, and how much damage the enemies are doing.

Nah, pretty sure you can only use one weapon type at once.

Also, which part specifically, or do you mean normal or "hard" combat zones? I don't think I hit much difficulty until... I dunno, whenever I first started bitching, so probably 8 or 9?

Are you letting your scratch damage attacker charge all the way, or are you using the "charge one level, fire, hope for bonus shot, repeat" pattern? Making good use of tri-attacks where you can? If tri-attacks aren't possible I'd recommend just scratching, converting scratch, repeat. Manipulate turn order if you need to [if you have someone who can't attack very well, skip them, blowing a resonance point is waaaaay better than wasting a hero gauge bezel for nothing].

Also, molotovs are your friend. They do direct and scratch [over time] and cold enemies get worked over nicely by them.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Man, I got through the spoilered fight with grenades. He doesn't usually dodge them and it only took 15 or so EX grenades to kill him.

He's apparently immune to status effects, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Wow, Journey was a great ride. Amazing visuals the entire time. I love the art style, and the passive co-op stuff was really great. I thought I was with one dude the entire time, but I apparently had eight companions. Outstanding game.

Also got around to playing Where Is My Heart, which is a really neat game. My brain already hurts from the first few levels, so I know I'm in for a world of hurt. The trial for Rochard impressed me, but I think I'll wait for a sale to come by and pick it up when I don't have so much to play.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

Nah, pretty sure you can only use one weapon type at once.

Also, which part specifically, or do you mean normal or "hard" combat zones? I don't think I hit much difficulty until... I dunno, whenever I first started bitching, so probably 8 or 9?

Are you letting your scratch damage attacker charge all the way, or are you using the "charge one level, fire, hope for bonus shot, repeat" pattern? Making good use of tri-attacks where you can? If tri-attacks aren't possible I'd recommend just scratching, converting scratch, repeat. Manipulate turn order if you need to [if you have someone who can't attack very well, skip them, blowing a resonance point is waaaaay better than wasting a hero gauge bezel for nothing].

Also, molotovs are your friend. They do direct and scratch [over time] and cold enemies get worked over nicely by them.
Enemies level 20 and up give me trouble, my characters are all about 12+10+8 or something...are their combined levels supposed to correspond to enemy levels in damage output and stuff? I keep thinking "my people are level 30, they should be doing more damage than the enemies but they're not".

Yeah, I let my SMG guy (Zephyr right now) charge as far as I can every time, but there's only one of him so I can only do any serious damage to one enemy at a time, while they can all effectively attack all of my guys at the same time.

One thing about tri-attacks, why do my people sometimes stop running in the middle of them even if there is nothing in their way? They do do incredible damage but I never know if they're going to succeed for all three characters or not. Just last night I had this perfect set-up with an enemy in the middle of the triangle and no other enemies around, and as soon as I started two of my characters just stopped running.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 17, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Policenaut posted:

All I can remember is that Ryo is supposed to go deeper into mainland China to the city of Luoyang in 3. It'd probably play out like 2. Everything is toned down and you're just doing the regular Shenmue thing, then you're getting involved with mobsters and more fights, and by the end you're running through giant skyscrapers fighting chainsaw-wielding transvestites and having climactic battles on rooftops.

Anyway the real answer is that Ryo Hazuki figures out how stupid everything is and returns to Japan dejected and starts a life of crime, changing his name to Kiryu Kazuma. And now you know the rest of the story!

It actually would be thematically consistent if the Shenmue series ended with Ryo quitting his quest and returning to Japan considering a big part of 2 was him learning that he was just perpetuating a cycle of violence. What with learning that the only reason Lan Di killed Ryo's father was because Ryo's father killed Lan Di's master. Its too bad that Shenmue 2 didn't sell well enough to get a sequel right away because it really did fix a lot of the problems from the first one.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So, I just got a ps3 and got NBA 2k12. I'm tired of the 360 since mine just red ringed for the 4th or 5th time. What games should I look into on the ps3?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Holy poo poo. I let you goons talk me into getting Journey.

Best drat $15 I've spent in a looonnngggg time.

:stare:

My only regret is that I will never be able to play it again for the first time not knowing what to expect.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 17, 2012

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

So, I just got a ps3 and got NBA 2k12. I'm tired of the 360 since mine just red ringed for the 4th or 5th time. What games should I look into on the ps3?

- MLB: The Show series is widely regarded as the baseball franchise to play and is PS3 exclusive.

- The Uncharted series is always great, and you should totally play them all.

- Yakuza games.

- Demon Souls, the predecessor to Dark Souls.

-The God of War series are a blast to play through and all of them (even the PSP games) can be played in HD glory on the PS3 thanks to HD collections.

-Infamous and Infamous 2 and it's expansion Festival of Blood are some of my favorite games this console generation.

-Metal Gear Solid 4 and the HD collection if you like those games.

Oh and to get it out of the way, Valkyria Chronicles is everyone's favorite SRPG.

There's a lot more but that covers a wide variety of genres for you.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
God drat it get God Hand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

My only regret is that I will never be able to play it again for the first time not knowing what to expect.

Yeah, this is my feeling. I wish to hell I could erase my memory of that game and do it again.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Yakuza doesnt feature Super Hang On, who here really needs to learn I wonder.
Shenmue is less gamey, and it should be kept that way really.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

Enemies level 20 and up give me trouble, my characters are all about 12+10+8 or something...are their combined levels supposed to correspond to enemy levels in damage output and stuff? I keep thinking "my people are level 30, they should be doing more damage than the enemies but they're not".

Yeah, I let my SMG guy (Zephyr right now) charge as far as I can every time, but there's only one of him so I can only do any serious damage to one enemy at a time, while they can all effectively attack all of my guys at the same time.

One thing about tri-attacks, why do my people sometimes stop running in the middle of them even if there is nothing in their way? They do do incredible damage but I never know if they're going to succeed for all three characters or not. Just last night I had this perfect set-up with an enemy in the middle of the triangle and no other enemies around, and as soon as I started two of my characters just stopped running.

Well, it's true that until you snag another SMG you can only have one scratcher, but at the same time enemies really shouldn't be able to scratch you for that much damage... are you finding that they're doing a ton of damage, and you just can't keep up? It's totally normal to get scratched a lot during a fight, but the idea is that your guys should be able to scratch+convert faster, so that unless you miss something or do what I always do and jump into the enemy and fall down, you should be able to beat them to the punch. Also you do recharge scratch as you perform actions, though I don't think it's terribly fast.

This will be a lot more apparent later, but you always need to scratch then direct damage. Direct damage is nearly useless on its own without having scratched an enemy first except in the sense that the pistols can be used to juggle/stunlock enemies [bear this in mind if you're in a fight that seems impossible because some giant gently caress is pulverizing you].

As for stopping... there's only three conditions I know if that should cause it:

1. Running out of Resonance. One resonance point moves a given character between two points in the triangle, so if you have one super short leg of the triangle, then you'll notice that characters running it may stop suddenly.

2. Hitting a wall. gently caress this gets me all the time. Not just big walls, but tiny little irregular corners of the map. This is why I NEVER tri-attack near the edges of the map, sometimes my guys hit the wall and stop, or hit tiny bumps in the wall and stop.

3. Hitting an enemy. This is why I can never pull off tri attacks against any of the special goliath battles especially the 3x poison shooting ones because those big dumb fucks just wander into my path.

I -think- hitting O will make you stop, like it makes you stop a normal hero action?

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 17, 2012

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Ramadu posted:

Get Twisted Metal, it's a damned blast. It had some network problems at launch but those have been mostly ironed out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

Well, it's true that until you snag another SMG you can only have one scratcher, but at the same time enemies really shouldn't be able to scratch you for that much damage... are you finding that they're doing a ton of damage, and you just can't keep up? It's totally normal to get scratched a lot during a fight, but the idea is that your guys should be able to scratch+convert faster, so that unless you miss something or do what I always do and jump into the enemy and fall down, you should be able to beat them to the punch. Also you do recharge scratch as you perform actions, though I don't think it's terribly fast.

This will be a lot more apparent later, but you always need to scratch then direct damage. Direct damage is nearly useless on its own without having scratched an enemy first except in the sense that the pistols can be used to juggle/stunlock enemies [bear this in mind if you're in a fight that seems impossible because some giant gently caress is pulverizing you].

As for stopping... there's only three conditions I know if that should cause it:

1. Running out of Resonance. One resonance point moves a given character between two points in the triangle, so if you have one super short leg of the triangle, then you'll notice that characters running it may stop suddenly.

2. Hitting a wall. gently caress this gets me all the time. Not just big walls, but tiny little irregular corners of the map. This is why I NEVER tri-attack near the edges of the map, sometimes my guys hit the wall and stop, or hit tiny bumps in the wall and stop.

3. Hitting an enemy. This is why I can never pull off tri attacks against any of the special goliath battles especially the 3x poison shooting ones because those big dumb fucks just wander into my path.

I -think- hitting O will make you stop, like it makes you stop a normal hero action?
Yeah, I know that scratch is the only real way to do damage, which makes it so frustrating that only one character can do it. Should I just skip everyone else's turn if they aren't in position to do damage to the one enemy who is scratched? And then they regenerate their hit points...

One resonance point only gets your characters through two waypoints? I thought it took them back to where they started. Maybe that's what I am experiencing. Or maybe they are running into enemies when it looks like the path is clear. I can never tell what happened when it was happening, I just see the charge indicator in the center of the screen go from three people down to two or one.

Also what's your tactic against huge melee enemies that just lumber unceasingly towards you?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 17, 2012

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Ramadu posted:

Heavy Rain, if you like a compelling thriller and don't mind that it isn't really a game as such and more a choose your own adventure book.

Great game

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
Anyone playing FIFA Street? The Rey Parlor is accepting of my FIFA Street posts, but something tells me they don't even wanna consider it.

I've been having a ton of fun with it. You basically create your own team and get pitted up against any level team, the game decides to throw at you. It's kinda bullshit that you can start out with a level 1 team and get matched up against a level 17 player, but the leveling is fast and fairly painless.

I enjoy each different game mode evenly. Traditional indoor soccer is fun, but Fustol takes the game to a whole new level insofar as game pace.

Defending is incredibly important. If you can be patient throughout the entire game, you can usually drive your opponent to insanity.

The overall idea is to never do the same thing more than twice. I feel like most of the time, the first one to figure out their opponent is the one who is gonna win.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Heads up to anyone interesred in buying SSX, it's ON SALE at GameStop. I found out today purely on accident, got a new copy for a cool $40! I'm not sure what the time frame is or if it's a GameStop wide sale, but it's a pretty great deal for a relatively new game.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Totally random question about infamous. I already got all the dead drops in a play through, is there any reason for me to do it again for a second run? I don't remember at all what happens when you collect every one of them.

thanks!
VVVVVVVVVVV

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 18, 2012

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

Totally random question about infamous. I already got all the dead drops in a play through, is there any reason for me to do it again for a second run? I don't remember at all what happens when you collect every one of them.

Just a trophy and plot stuff. So if you got the trophy already, there's no reason to collect them again.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I know that scratch is the only real way to do damage, which makes it so frustrating that only one character can do it. Should I just skip everyone else's turn if they aren't in position to do damage to the one enemy who is scratched? And then they regenerate their hit points...

One resonance point only gets your characters through two waypoints? I thought it took them back to where they started. Maybe that's what I am experiencing. Or maybe they are running into enemies when it looks like the path is clear. I can never tell what happened when it was happening, I just see the charge indicator in the center of the screen go from three people down to two or one.

Also what's your tactic against huge melee enemies that just lumber unceasingly towards you?

Nope, I'd say use the other turns to generate resonance points to go towards an eventual tri-attack. Skipping turns costs a resonance point, remember. Actually I'd say that you should assign one person the grenade box, and the other two to SMG and pistol duty, that's how I got through most stuff. Scratch, convert it, then lay down some grenades/molotovs for support.

Scratch regenerates, but not on armor pieces. This is vital. When I fight anything armored, I scratch it as much as I can [either jumping and charging as high as I can go, or rushing and trying for bonus shots] then jump my pistol user towards the enemy and commence firing. Jumping and shooting is handy when you're trying to wreck armor because you'll end up hitting all over the enemy's body - and it just takes a hit [or a few, I think it's just one] of direct damage to convert all scratch on that armor piece to direct and hopefully break it. It's pretty awesome full-scratching an enemy's armor, jumping Vashyron towards it and in one shot, breaking everything and getting back like 4-5 hero gauge bezels. Once the armor is torn off and you can scratch the main body, focus on either charging max power attacks or, if it's a big lumbering enemy, bonus shots. Don't hit them with anything weak because scratch tends to regenerate fast. Maybe not as fast now, but into chapter 9-10 it's going to start coming back real fast, to the point where anything but tri-attacks [where you scratch and immediately convert it with the next person] or full-charge SMG attacks are worthless, practically.

I'm pretty sure 1 resonance point = one line of the triangle but hell maybe I'm wrong, just seems that way [like one resonance point tri-attacks are super short unless you space them out a great deal]

And for huge melee enemies I'd say skip the flashy jumpy stuff and run your characters along the ground next to them, getting in as many attacks as possible [charge once, pull trigger, repeat]. This increases your chance of bonus shots [which, for the SMG user, mean ridiculous amounts of scratch damage], and also of stunlocking / gauge breaking the big bastards with your pistol users, which helps. This tactic has made some tough fights trivial for sure. Just watch your hero gauge, if you're not knocking off armor pieces to recharge the gauge fast enough you may run out. If the arena you're fighting in makes it difficult to perform tri-attacks, just run the characters at an angle where they're close, but not so close that they risk running into the enemy. If the arena is open, plan your movements to charge up resonance then let 'em have it - tri attacks are awesome against single, big targets like that.

It's a real complex combat system for sure, but once it "clicks" it's a lot of fun figuring out new ways to handle things. It does throw some poo poo at you though. You're doing all of the optional combat zones and side missions, right? Some of those are easy, some of those will make you want to scream until you "get" it.

[that tip about stunlocking giants is something I wish I'd realized far earlier, drat it]

e. Oh! Did I say armor? I meant armor and weapons, when it comes to big guys. Enemies such as the spider-like mechs and some of the giants have big weapons that you can break off, making them unable to use those weapons. For the spider-mechs, I always full charge and jump my SMG person over the top, shooting downwards and scratching the weapon they have as much as possible. Following up with a jumping pistol shot usually breaks the weapon right off. Some of these weapons are pretty nasty, so you should try your best to break them quickly. That's another thing that can make tough fights bearable / easy.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 18, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

Nope, I'd say use the other turns to generate resonance points to go towards an eventual tri-attack. Skipping turns costs a resonance point, remember. Actually I'd say that you should assign one person the grenade box, and the other two to SMG and pistol duty, that's how I got through most stuff. Scratch, convert it, then lay down some grenades/molotovs for support.
What I'm worried about is running out of IC's, unless there's some way other than hero actions to generate resonance points? Like I said, only one character can do real damage, so if I am not generating new ICs faster than I lose them, I'm going to lose.

edit: the big melee enemies causing me trouble right now are those two legged elephant things with the electro-bazookas (god I loved writing that)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I'm worried about is running out of IC's, unless there's some way other than hero actions to generate resonance points?

Nope. Gotta burn a hero action running between people and you've got to do it once per turn, or else you lose one resonance point for skipping a turn, and you also lose resonance points FAST if you decide you want to move before executing the hero action. If you're REALLY fast you can move then use the hero action, but you'll still lose at least one point.

It isn't for every battle for sure.

Also, practice using the barriers and not attacking with hero actions. The problem is, if you get hit while you're charging your charging will cancel, but you'll still be out all the time you spent charging on your turn. It sucks, but if you can get good at gauging your charge time / keeping track of the enemy's charging, and squeeze your shot off right before theirs, you can attack without using a hero action. I used to use this for scratching when I didn't have many hero action bezels.

e. Ahhhh, those things. For those yeah I'd say run your guys past them and just hope for bonus attacks. Use your scratcher first. If you get lucky, you might be able to do enough damage to fully scratch it, so it'd be toast in two turns.

e2. Also with those, if you have spare hero actions jump over them and scratch the packages they have on their back and shoot them off - they carry some really valuable stuff, which can be scrapped for good items.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 18, 2012

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Ramadu posted:

If you want a perfect distillation of why PlayStations are sort of the last gutsy Japanese home consoles out there, please download Journey. It simply wouldn't happen on other consoles, and even now, the experience is sticking with me like no other game I've ever played. It only took me an hour and a half to finish, which might seem like very little for $15, but every nanosecond of that game is something that digs into your emotional centers and never, ever lets go. The ending is, as hacky movie critics would say, "a triumph."

Welcome to the club, though, buddy. You've got a gajillion games to enjoy now. Sorry about your bank account and/or credit card balance.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SamBishop posted:

Welcome to the club, though, buddy. You've got a gajillion games to enjoy now. Sorry about your bank account and/or credit card balance.

Seriously.

I recently looked over my PS3 library, both disc and PSN... and... jesus christ. :stare: Granted not all of them are exclusives, but... owning this thing has been hell on my bank account.

And I regret nothing. :colbert:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
For RoF, I disagree with Code Jockey. I use tri-attacks in just about every battle, the trick is figuring out where to place everyone on the field. If you make it so you only have to jump once every go-round, you'll be fine. Other than that, just make sure you remember to, y'know, make people actually jump.

I never use barriers anymore. I think I stopped around chapter 6 or 7, since I can usually kill everything with a few hero runs and just not worry about it.

For big melee guys, just make sure you have a bunch of charge acceleration on your SMG. Just throw as many barrels as you can on there and hit it really loving hard, really loving often. I'm in Chapter 14 and still only need one person with an SMG, so make of that what you will.

Those elephants, IIRC, were some of the hardest enemies in the game for me. I hated those loving things. An optional mission later on has one with no ranged attack, but a melee attack that does something like six thousand damage. poo poo's painful.

If you can't tell, I'm loving RoF and the battle system. It rewards paying attention more than any other RPG I've ever played, yet remains simple enough to be manageable at all times. I'm currently working on starting an LP in a month or so, and I haven't even finished the game.

e. Free tip for anyone playing RoF right now - when you go into the Gran Idee Mines, equip poison mitigation. Just about every loving enemy in there uses poison.
gently caress poison.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 18, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Well, yeah, I do agree that you should use tri-attacks whenever you can, sure. I think I've just been in fights lately again that three goliath battle, weird shaped maps, and times when I've been down to two people where tri-attacks just weren't a good idea, or weren't possible so that made me put more of an emphasis on alternative strategies.

They're a lifesaver when you're getting low on hero gauge bezels because you can do so drat much damage if you play it right, you'll end up either killing a bunch of enemies or even just peeling off a bunch of armor.

And the barrier thing was just for the very beginning. I couldn't imagine using them in some of the fights I've been in now, both for the reason you say and that I'm pretty much charging up resonance every round I possibly can.

I'm in the same boat, I only need one SMG guy - of course, he's currently rocking two 24/25 round SMGs loaded with a zillion accessories, but there's still just one of him. :v: So. Many. Bullets.

By using the stun-locking method I described I finally got a 1,000+ hit combo, so hell yes :black101: the counter stops at 999, but it was still pulsing for a while. Sucks there's no trophy for that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If you run out of hero bezels what is there to do other than restart the game? I have never once survived after running out, its absolutely hopeless.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I can buy PS3 games from England and play them on my Aussie playstation with no problems right?
e: Also, do i get yakuza 3 or 4? I've never played any of them.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 18, 2012

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Nierbo posted:

I can buy PS3 games from England and play them on my Aussie playstation with no problems right?
e: Also, do i get yakuza 3 or 4? I've never played any of them.

Yeah there's no problems playing discs from other regions. The only problem there might be is that DLC is region locked, so if there's any games with DLC that you want you have to buy them using an account from the region the disc is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The only complication might come if you're not on an HDTV playing games in HD, if you have an SDTV then your PS3 might spaz out trying to play PAL games on NTSC. If you're HD ready, then you're fine.

• Locked thread