Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MockingQuantum posted:

The writing is not exactly amazing in the NWN2 OC. I didn't have any major issues with bugs, personally. It's a fairly well constructed game, as could be expected from that-era Bioware, and if you don't have issues with D&D ports in general, the system is pretty good. If you can, get the expansions, too. They open up a lot of character options that add some flair to the game.

My major gripe is, if you plan to craft your own items, look up a crafting faq and plan from the start who your crafting characters will be (they hand you one NPC that's basically built for it, another one or two that could easily be adapted to be crafters). DO NOT build your own character to do this, as it's a massive waste of feats for a character that is constantly in the party. Your party NPCs gain experience even when not in the active party, so it's easy to use one of your less-favorite spellcasters for this.

NWN2 is basically Dragon Age before Dragon Age. Nobody seems to agree with me, but I felt the two games were remarkably similar. The biggest problems I had with NWN2:

1) Slow beginning
2) Having a very small selection of classes if you are at all worried about dialogue options (though Dragon Age kinda did this too)
3) I was a rogue (for the dialogue options, although I would have probably picked a rogue anyway) and the last portions of the game feature monsters immune to your roguey abilities.

Other than that I don't really have many complaints. I'm pretty bad about finishing games but I finished NWN2 OC. I didn't finish Mask of the Betrayer because my character was a walking God by that point and there was absolutely nothing in it that was particularly better than the OC. I have no idea why people love Mask of the Betrayer so much. My guess is the thinly veiled references to Planescape, maybe Torment specifically? And going from being able to rest all the time to not being able to rest all the time was a terrible idea. (edit: I got about 3/4 through MotB for the record)

Can't comment on the crafting because my game was bugged in such a way that I couldn't craft anything at all. I did however read that crafting basically broke the game due to the gear being so powerful. I felt I broke the game pretty well with my own loot though.

Also if you are a Swashbuckler you get a really badass hat.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You're going to get the same answer out of everyone who loves MotB: great characters and a great story.

http://lparchive.org/Neverwinter-Nights-2-Mask-of-the-Betrayer/ is a very good LP that highlights a lot of the underpinnings and the non-obvious bits in the game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

casual poster posted:

How do you guys find time to replay games? Basically everytime I've beaten a game (since HS) I've always had another lined up to play. I guess a lot of it has to do how much you love the game (I just put 150 hours into dark souls, but thats cause there wasn't anything else I wanted to play) but drat.

I pretty much only ever replay the old SNES classics. Anything before or after that I don't devote more than one playthrough to. I can't even find the time to do NG+ on most games anymore. I think the last one I really put that much effort into was Nier.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I don't get around to finishing most games, let alone replaying them. I did that sometimes as a kid but as an adult I have more time to read up on new games when I'm bored at work, more money, and less time to go home and actually play them. :shobon:

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Chaos Rings and Chaos Rings Omega are both on sale today for the iPhone and iPad.

I've heard a good deal of praise about this series, some calling it the proper evolution of PSX RPGs. Is there a difference between CR1 and Omega? If so, which one is worth getting?

Also interested in Radiant Historia in light of Atlus' re-print, but just to be clear, it has nothing whatsoever to do with Radiata Stories, right?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Radiant Historia has nothing to do with any other series in spite of its derivative name.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Heath posted:

I pretty much only ever replay the old SNES classics. Anything before or after that I don't devote more than one playthrough to. I can't even find the time to do NG+ on most games anymore. I think the last one I really put that much effort into was Nier.

Same here. I've gotten to be a lot more picky about what I take the time to play. I've dropped my game purchasing significantly, and raised my standards. Usually if a game doesn't catch me in the first 3-5 hours of play, I sell it off, if I bought it, and move on to the next one. There's been exceptions, where people have told me the game improves over time, but those are rare. Also, I've learned to not be a completionist. What's that you say? I could be the head of the fighters, thieves, AND mages guilds? And be the arena champion and chief assassin to boot? That's cool! But totally not gonna do that, thanks.

I walked into Skyrim with that perspective and finished the game in a satisfactory amount of time with a really fun experience. It never had a chance to get tedious.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Just posted this in the retro gaming thread but figured the goons in the RPG thread could also offer something:
I just got a PS3 again after about a year without one and I see both Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX are available as PSOne downloads. Can anyone comment on which of these I should get into first, does it even matter, and how do these two play on the PS3 on an HDTV?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Just posted this in the retro gaming thread but figured the goons in the RPG thread could also offer something:
I just got a PS3 again after about a year without one and I see both Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX are available as PSOne downloads. Can anyone comment on which of these I should get into first, does it even matter, and how do these two play on the PS3 on an HDTV?

FF9 is pretty cool. So's 6, but it's a pretty godawful port due to noticeable loading times for every screen transition (battles, menus, ect). I'd honestly avoid the PS1 version of FF6 like the plague.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

FF9 is pretty cool. So's 6, but it's a pretty godawful port due to noticeable loading times for every screen transition (battles, menus, ect). I'd honestly avoid the PS1 version of FF6 like the plague.

Gah, in m haste i bought and d/loaded it already... sheeeit. Well, now I'll just try get value out of this as much as I can. It's not unplayably bad is it? Surely not? Loading up now... Will probably end up getting both anywat :rolleyes:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Should have waited until next week anyway, there's supposedly going to be a Final Fantasy series sale.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

BadAstronaut posted:

Gah, in m haste i bought and d/loaded it already... sheeeit. Well, now I'll just try get value out of this as much as I can. It's not unplayably bad is it? Surely not? Loading up now... Will probably end up getting both anywat :rolleyes:

The 5th is just as bad as well. The PS1 ports of them have the same problem.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Should have waited until next week anyway, there's supposedly going to be a Final Fantasy series sale.

God, really? How would/do you hear about this in advance?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/03/12/psn-spring-fever-2012-new-games-discounts-call-of-duty-sale-this-week/

quote:

[...] The other featured franchises will be Final Fantasy and Tom Clancy. We’ll be offering up to 50% off various games, map packs, add-ons and bundled content, with up to 75% discounts awarded to our PS Plus subscribers. Each week, we’ll be revealing the full list of Spring Fever franchise deals in the Store Update blog post every Tuesday, so check back to see what content from your favorite franchises will be discounted.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

All them prices are $ - is there usually the same thing running in EU/UK? I'm very new to PSN...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I figured this would be the best thread to ask. The only Final Fantasies I have played are 1, 7-9. Which of the OTHER FF should I play and on which system?

I'm pretty open-minded at the type, but I'm not a fan of SRPGs or TONS OF GRINDING.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
6 on the SNES or GBA, and maybe 4 on the DS if you are willing to lax on the GRINDING thing just a little bit.

That's it, really.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Pretty much all of them are worth trying, except maybe 3 DS. It's kinda hard to say whether or not you're gonna like one since the storytelling, setting and gameplay change quite a bit between games (gameplay less so but still). Use the GBA version of FF2 and FF5 and GBA/PSP FF4 since the alternatives are pretty bad. I liked the GBA translation of FF6 more than the SNES, but that's just me.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
FF2 in any version gets pretty grindy, though if you read a FAQ to learn how stat gains are earned the grind can be reduced a lot. Play the GBA version - it removes the stat penalties for grinding opposing stats (e.g. no more Magic Down because you're focussing on Strength Up). Maybe the PSP and/or iOS version does the same thing but I've never played them so I don't know.

FF3 DS is lots of fun but grindy as gently caress, especially if you don't use a walkthrough to spoil the points where you could get stuck. I've never actually finished this one because there's no save points in the final dungeon; when the final boss kills you after two hours of dungeon diving and sub-boss fighting, it really discourages trying again right away. I don't know if the iOS version finally adds a save point in there but I really can't be arsed to pay $16 for an app so I'll never know.

Avoid the PS1 versions of FF4-6. As noted a few posts ago, they're all awful. The GBA versions are great, though, and you don't really need to grind all that much unless you're trying to survive the bonus dungeons. I prefer FF4 DS to the GBA version, but it can get really grindy thanks to the amped up difficulty. That being said, I love how difficult it is and wish more RPGs forced me to use buffs/debuffs to survive.

My favorite FFs are the PS2 games - 10 and 12. They're very different beasts from the older games, though they're a hell of a lot of fun. You can get through the main story of each game with minimal grinding as well, though FF12 has enough sidequests (well, monster hunts) to keep the grinding interesting.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I'd recommend 12 (although I'm hoping there'll be an HD rerelease announced sometime). It's not very grindy although you do benefit from it if you want to.

Captain Vittles posted:

I've never actually finished this one because there's no save points in the final dungeon; when the final boss kills you after two hours of dungeon diving and sub-boss fighting, it really discourages trying again right away.
This is exactly why I did try it again right away. If I lose a lot of progress in a game and then quit instead of doing it again right away, every time I think about playing it I just say "I really don't want to do all that again" and play something else instead. I lost on my first go at the final boss too and immediately went back for more (and thankfully succeeded on my second attempt).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pick any of 4-6 (recommend GBA versions of 5 and 6, or PSP version of 4). They're all good and proceed quickly; based on what you liked about it, we'll know which of the other two you'll prefer. Bonus dungeons may be safely skipped. 5 has a strong gameplay focus with lots of ways to just play around with its system, but its story is a comical pastiche of the four preceding games; 6 sets out to tell its story very well, but you can sort of stumble through the gameplay rear end-first, in consideration of which it has been likened to a sort of prototype of 7. 4 strikes a balance between those two.

In none of them will you need to grind, though all of them might make you want to. Final Fantasy has always been very good about ensuring that understanding the system and applying good strategy trumps merely having sufficient numbers for victory, but there's usually a situation where just a few more AP will get you a shiny new wholly unnecessary toy to play with.

You might like 10 or 12, or you might hate them. Without knowing what it is you enjoyed about the ones you've played, it's hard to say.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Let me answer that I guess.

I like music in FF games, and from what I hear they usually set a high bar.
Storytelling is usually fine. I had issues with FF8 and FF9's storytelling. Completely insane. (Believe it or not, I like to play a lot of RPGs, just never got around to the FF series. Insane, I know.)

I'm usually pretty quick to pick up the gameplay aspect of it, so that's not a problem. I'll check out those recommendations. Thank, guys!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

5 is definitely the gameplay-iest entry in the series. If you ever played Final Fantasy Tactics, that uses a job system based on 5's, though balanced around the fact that battles take 30 minutes instead of 30 seconds. All the SNES games have good encounter and boss design, I thought, and so does 10.

Musically speaking, 6 is the one most highly reputed, though for audio you can't really go wrong with any game in this series.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Primoman posted:

I've heard a good deal of praise about this series, some calling it the proper evolution of PSX RPGs. Is there a difference between CR1 and Omega? If so, which one is worth getting?

Omega is a sequel with new characters though a very similar plot premise and nearly identical gameplay.

Play the first though, as the second's plot does tie into it slightly.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Musically speaking, 6 is the one most highly reputed, though for audio you can't really go wrong with any game in this series.

6 takes the cake for music. The character motives in the game are really well executed, and some of my personal favorites.

As far as storytelling and music go for 10 & 12, here's my opinion that will likely get me yelled at:

10 is better for both. Disliked characters aside (I never had a major problem with any of them), it has some of the most straightforward, well justified storytelling since 6, IMHO. It didn't feature any of the batshit "I'm a SOLDIER! Wait, no I'm not. I'm Him! No, I'm someone else" nonsense that 7 had; it was just a tight, well built story that featured some really well used musical elements. The Yevon prayer was used to great effect, and one of my favorite moments of any of the Final Fantasies is when Cid and Brother sing the Yevon chant as they blow up the home of their entire race. Plus the major twist of the game is pretty well justified throughout, and is pretty heartbreaking to boot.

12 doesn't fall short on either account, but the music isn't as thematically oriented, and the storyline, while well done, is a lot more like Tactics in the sense that you almost need a glossary of terms to keep straight every individual faction involved in the story.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
10 also has a more tactical battle system that drops ATB for a turn order list that you can manipulate variously, as well as being able to tag in party members at any time during battle. 12 has the whole gambit thing which you will probably either love or hate utterly.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
10 is a legitimately good Final Fantasy and should probably be played. The only caution is that when you get to the end of the game, don't feel saddled by having to collect everyone's ultimate weapon or you're going to be in for a world of hurt.

I think parts of its story are dumb but it's no worse than certain segments of previous Final Fantasy games. What probably separates 10 apart from the rest of the X* Final Fantasy games is that you actually get a completely constructed stroy line that mostly makes sense (12's downfall) and it came before all the excessively popular anime tropes started to seep into Final Fantasy (13, 13-2's).

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 19, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

BadAstronaut posted:

All them prices are $ - is there usually the same thing running in EU/UK? I'm very new to PSN...

It's for US and Canada only. The North American and European Playstation Stores don't share the same sales.

There was a FF sale for the European region a month ago.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Could someone point me to the Radiant Historia thread? I can't seem to find it anymore.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

MrMidnight posted:

Could someone point me to the Radiant Historia thread? I can't seem to find it anymore.

I hope you have archives. If so, here it is.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Hey, has anyone got suggestions for multiplayer action RPGs? Not MMOs, but online multiplayer connectivity poo poo. 4 players would be optimal, but we're just about done with Magicka and we've done Borderlands soooooooo much.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
A nice experiment is Wanderlust. It's basically a 2D SNES-style action RPG that can be played with up to four players with classes, leveling, abilities, arenas, etc.

There's a lot of meat to it, takes only little bit to get used to, and there's a trial version that works perfectly fine to try out online co-op and all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The White Dragon posted:

Hey, has anyone got suggestions for multiplayer action RPGs? Not MMOs, but online multiplayer connectivity poo poo. 4 players would be optimal, but we're just about done with Magicka and we've done Borderlands soooooooo much.

Mass Effect 3 has 4-player multiplayer?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 1, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

Diablo 3 once it hits on May 15th? 4 players, oodles of loot, and immense fun.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

I hope you have archives. If so, here it is.

I do. Thanks a bunch.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Diablo 3 once it hits on May 15th? 4 players, oodles of loot, and immense fun.

Alternatively, get Diablo 2 and throw Eastern Sun on it. It's a large-scale conversion that rebalances a whole bunch of stuff, makes the game extremely overpowered on both sides, and gives you a ton of new things to play around with. It's a pretty great chaotic romp and revitalises the game quite a bit.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

It's for US and Canada only. The North American and European Playstation Stores don't share the same sales.

There was a FF sale for the European region a month ago.

Bleh, my timing is right out. Oh well, I bought them both. I've played about 10 minutes of FF6 and man, those load times and blank screens between actions and combat and whatever is ridiculous. Bit of a let down. Is there any PSN refund thing if I cancel a purchase within a certain amount of time?

Much more amped to just play IX now.

FF nerds, will it make *any* difference if I play IX before I play 4/5/6? Will it ruin/spoil any story stuff?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Bleh, my timing is right out. Oh well, I bought them both. I've played about 10 minutes of FF6 and man, those load times and blank screens between actions and combat and whatever is ridiculous. Bit of a let down. Is there any PSN refund thing if I cancel a purchase within a certain amount of time?

Much more amped to just play IX now.

FF nerds, will it make *any* difference if I play IX before I play 4/5/6? Will it ruin/spoil any story stuff?

The mainline FF games are completely independent from one another (except for maybe 11 and 14, can't speak to those).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Ys: The Oath in Felghana is now available on Steam for $14.99. System requirements are pretty low since it's an old game.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/207320/

It has Steam achievements and Steam Cloud support. Works with 360 and PS3 controllers too.