Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.

Dan Didio posted:

Small addition Grunt only lives if he was loyal in ME2.
Hm, interesting. Nice to see all those choices I made re: Grunt, Rachni, etc. had some sort of effect. Thanks, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Does the Arc Pistol actually have any useful anti-synthetics properties, or should I just ignore it and leave Tali and EDI both on the usual Carnifex/Paladin?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Dan Didio posted:

An Asari soldier shows up on the Citadel suffering from PTSD who you overhear describing her fighting the Reapers on some specific border-colony farm-land, she was forced to smother a young girl called Hillary in order to surive, along with murdering a friend of hers who turned into a Banshee. Joker later namedrops the settlement, and a farm-girl called Hillary from there as being his sister. He hasn't heard from his family there.

Didn't know Joker namedropped her. Goddamn that's rough.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 17, 2012

farfidnuggin
May 9, 2009

Huragok posted:

Reminds me of Anderson giving the speech in the London FOB and Shepard yelling "hoo-rah", which is wrong, because he's a naval officer and not a marine. My immersion!

I don't know if I misheard him, but it sounded like 'Hooyah' when he said it. That's a US Navy SEAL thing. It could be a legacy tradition integrated into the Alliance N7 program.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

etjester posted:

Some pretty unsurprising statistics:

From the Final Hours app.

I played default male soldier because the character creator but that's because everything else looked like poo poo compared to that model, and iirc you couldn't have hybrid classes in your first play through so soldier seemed like my best bet for a space commando.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The Atrium mission is making my Sentinel very unhappy. I tried running up the right side ramp to get some high ground but then it spawns guys directly to each side so you get sandwiched. Maybe I'll just hide by the entry door for a while.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

The Atrium mission is making my Sentinel very unhappy. I tried running up the right side ramp to get some high ground but then it spawns guys directly to each side so you get sandwiched. Maybe I'll just hide by the entry door for a while.
That's what I did as my Soldier on Insanity. Hide by the door and take out any enemy that comes near since it locks when you get further away. The Atlas sometimes has no shields so if you can take that out before the Engineer repairs it. If you take out their Shield generators that also helps, since they charge your shields if you repair them.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Wow, just got the email (Post-rannoch related spoiler) about Kal'reegar dying. How completely and utterly LAME. Dude was at least as prominent of a character as Kirrahe, he deserved a real cameo rather than some lame rear end email.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The few. The proud. The Female Sentinel Shep.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dick Trauma posted:

Here.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Gordon Shumway posted:

The Shepard has completed his task.

So that ending man. I'm not sure if I'm upset or disappointed yet, because the confusion hasn't quite worn off. If I'm understanding this right, there was some kind of god like alien (aliens?) trying to solve the problem of synthetics versus organics and the chaos that is ultimately the result. Their solution is the Reapers, who bring order by culling organics before chaos can happen, preserving these races in Reaper form. Naturally, Shepard's mere presence is enough to gently caress up their solution and so they allow him to choose what the next step should be. Which would be all fine and good, except this is totally out of left field, and there is not even so much as a hint of these god like alien things in any other part of this game or the two preceding it. Also, every choice they offer either nullifies half of your choices in the game, leaves the survival of your friends up in the air, or both. The concept is decent enough, but I think it needed more build up. I'd much rather have had the thing destroy the Reapers, allowed Shep to survive, and given me the happily ever after with my space bros that I was fighting for. But okay, I suppose I can (or have to) live with Joker and EDI as literally Adam and Eve in the new universe of synthetically augmented organics.

Tell me another story about the Shepard, grandad. Tell me the one where he right hooks the god like aliens until they agree to bring him back to life and restore the Mass Relays.

All in all, this game was pretty drat good though.
This is from a few pages back, but I wanted to say that these "god like alien things" are hinted at in ME3, when you talk to the dying Reaper on Rannoch and to the Prothean VI on Thessia. The first tells you that the cycle cannot be broken, that chaos must be prevented, implying that there is some higher purpose which they are required to serve. The second informs you that there appears to be some other, unknown force than the Reapers themselves responsible for the cycles.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

THE PWNER posted:

Wow, just got the email (Post-rannoch related spoiler) about Kal'reegar dying. How completely and utterly LAME. Dude was at least as prominent of a character as Kirrahe, he deserved a real cameo rather than some lame rear end email.

I'm more annoyed about that than the ending.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Aristobulus posted:

They are also only the xbox360 version. Though I would imagine the numbers for PC are pretty similar.

I'm not really surprised that "male soldier" is the most popular Shep. For one, it is what default Shep is. For two, it's the most "normal/standard" configuration. So people that want an easy, simple game will pick that. Not that soldier necessarily is easier or simpler, but when you're just starting the series out, and don't know the classes, you're likely to think it is, just like a lot of people assume warriors are the easiest class to play and figure out in mmos.

And, incidentally, it seems that usually the most standard, normal races are some of the most played in MMOs. Like, aren't humans/orcs the most played of the races in WoW?

I'd have to say it's a hard call for PC players since from what I've seen, PC players tend to lean more towards the non-casual type as opposed to console players. Of course if anyone has anything stating otherwise, I'd like to read it since I'm honestly curious.

I can see male soldier being most common first choice on a playthrough since if memory serves is the first click option to just get in and go. Me, it was female adept.

As far as MMOs go, from what I remember of my WoW time it seemed to depend on server as to what preponderance was there. Considering this was some time back, I vaguely remember on my main server it was heavily human/belf, but if you looked at my last guild it was more like drunk zombie brigade.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

NihilCredo posted:

Here.

I'd actually bookmarked that and forgotten. On the second phase I wound up running about halfway down that side, getting stuck in melee and then running all the way to the last pylon. Turned out to be a good place to make a stand and I finished off the area. Thank you!

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Regarding those ME statistics:

I tried making a custom face in ME1 and it looked great in the creation screen. When I saw it in game I stopped and created a new game because it looked terrible (I don't think you can move Shepard's head in the creation screen to look for problems). I didn't want to waste time making another abomination so I went with the default look (which looks good on it's own). I didn't keep the save so I imported a save from the depository that had the default appearance.

I played Infiltrator in my first run of ME2. When I started another run, I switched to Soldier because I wanted to use guns (Infiltrator had a sniper, smg, and pistol; soldier had a sniper, shotgun, assault, and pistol). ME2 didn't have the combat improvements in ME3 so I spent most of my time just shooting my guns instead of spamming my powers. That was why I switched to Soldier. I stuck with it when I got to ME3. If I ever feel the need to play another class, I play multiplayer. The way I see it, Soldier has no strengths but, has no weaknesses. Also, time dilation makes you the Flash.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

RickDaedalus posted:

(I don't think you can move Shepard's head in the creation screen to look for problems).

You can, and boy howdy is it useful to avoid the exact situation you're describing. You can create a lot of weird monstrosities that are not obvious until you turn the head sideways.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
What is something useful I can spend my credits on? I'm about halfway in (main story wise, though I just picked up like 10 more side quests), and I have a little over 300k credits. I can't think of anything to spend them on.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

messagemode1 posted:

You can, and boy howdy is it useful to avoid the exact situation you're describing. You can create a lot of weird monstrosities that are not obvious until you turn the head sideways.

The problem that resulted was that the cheeks were kinda "caved in." It wasn't the only problem. ME1 was a pretty long time ago so I can't remember if I did in fact turn the head and just not notice. I don't think I did because my head is telling me that I tried to move his head with my mouse and nothing happened. I really don't remember. Doesn't matter since I think default shep is the best looking face anyone (I) can possibly make.

Nigulus Rex posted:

What is something useful I can spend my credits on? I'm about halfway in (main story wise, though I just picked up like 10 more side quests), and I have a little over 300k credits. I can't think of anything to spend them on.

Spectre weapons in the spectre office. You can also buy weapon upgrades in the armory of the Normandy in the left terminal near the weapon bench (not weapons mods, weapons upgrade like Avenger IV).

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

RickDaedalus posted:

Spectre weapons in the spectre office. You can also buy weapon upgrades in the armory of the Normandy in the left terminal near the weapon bench (not weapons mods, weapons upgrade like Avenger IV).

I saw the spectre weapons but I haven't seen anything i want yet. The black widow would be nice but I primarily use an assault rifle, and so far there is the sniper, a shotgun, and something else that isn't an AR.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Those are the only spectre weapons available. They each pack a punch but, are pretty heavy. Most of my money went towards buying weapon upgrades. I played Soldier and I used primarily my Assault Rifle, supplemented with a sniper rifle and shotgun. My loadout was:

Black Widow
Mattock
Disciple

I think you sit at around -70 or -80 weight if you haven't upgrade them at all. After I did some upgrades I got it down by a lot. I don't have the numbers from my first playthrough but, here are the numbers in my second PT:

Black Widow X
Mattock X
Disciple VII

I'm sitting at around +19 weight. You can only get up to V in upgrades on your first playthrough. The power cooldown will be pretty high if you roll with any spectre weapon (unless you upgrade). Keep in mind that other stats increase as well such as damage. I use the Black Widow for dealing damage to the tougher enemies like Brutes and Banshees. If you still have a lot of money around, try upgrading the weapons your squadmates use, you are a team after all. :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Dan Didio posted:

Overlord's okay. It's got a nice little atmosphere and some decent combat and vehicle sections, stuff like that. It does feel very 'basic' though, if you don't feel comfortable paying for it it's definitely something you won't feel a particular bit of loss over. Especially if you play it 'out of order' and play through one of the better DLC's first.

Speaking of which, what happens in 3 if you didn't have the DLC/didn't save David and left him hooked in at Grissom? Is he just missing or does it make any difference with getting into the room behind him. I wouldn't know because I'm not a goddamn monster, thank you very much :colbert:

I beat the game last night and am trying to cover up my disappointment by doing an infiltrator run and seeing how many headshots I can get. Too bad there's not a counter.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Speaking of which, what happens in 3 if you didn't have the DLC/didn't save David and left him hooked in at Grissom? Is he just missing or does it make any difference with getting into the room behind him. I wouldn't know because I'm not a goddamn monster, thank you very much :colbert:

I assume you just don't get into that room/get the assets.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

NihilCredo posted:

Does the Arc Pistol actually have any useful anti-synthetics properties, or should I just ignore it and leave Tali and EDI both on the usual Carnifex/Paladin?
It became my favourite gun to use because you can also charge it for a stronger hit and I liked the energy weapons overall, but I don't recall it doing anything extra special.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
The Arc Pistol was supposed to be a regular version of the Arc Projector from 2. Yeah, that's a lie.

Chib
Nov 20, 2006
I read through this entire thread, carefully avoiding spoilers, in order to figure out who voices Primarch Victus. I swear to god it's Alec Baldwin. His VA isn't mentioned anywhere online, though.

This isn't great quality, but here's a video of him speaking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6GkFi6CyEQ

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

100 Years in Iraq posted:

For the former, nothing's there. If the latter his brother will commit suicide when you inform him during the Cerberus defector mission.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just beat the game (first time) on Hardcore with a Vanguard with my Shepard I brought through ME1 -> ME2. Gonna do a new play through on Insanity with a different alignment, what would be a good class that plays opposite of a Vanguard? Infiltrator? Engineer?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Infiltrator can be a pure sniper (so hide and take shots from far away) so that is anti-vanguard. Engineer is less involved and has turrets and stuff doing a lot of the killing, so that is also anti-vanguard.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

TheSpiritFox posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7bsIpEKIg

Do not watch that unless you've beaten the game and want to discuss the indoctrination theory, but I think there's a decent bit of merit to the whole thing. I want to believe too.

Interesting. While Shepard does seem to exhibit some of the symptoms seen in the Cerberus team that got indoctrinated at the Derelict Reaper, he's missing the severe headaches, shared memory and a deep, almost existential self-doubt. Shep only exhibits the signs that are ambiguous, which are by definition, ambigious and may or may not be imagined.

More importantly though, Shep passes out at the console at the end, he's only roused up by the Reaper Kid after the platform takes him up. There is virtually no reason for the Reaper Kid to do any of this, even supposing that Shep is indoctrinated, and then give Shep the means to destroy all reapers as well if its concerned with self-preservation still. Just leaving Shepard passed out and bleeding gaurentees a reaper victory, even if Shepard wakes up where he is, he has no loving clue how to activate the cruicible from that console, or get to where he needs to be.

What the Reaper Kid does only makes sense if organics just getting as far as they did proves that the reaping cycle is unsustainable to its own programming. The only way to fix that issue from the AI's perspective is either to fix the parameters of the reaping (control), fix the parameters of the galaxy (synthesis) or acknowledge the hardware's obsolete and scrap it, along with nearly all tech of a similar origin (destroy). The Cruicible may have never been intended as a conventional pew-pew weapon, its just a means to access the core AI and then a transmitter for final Reaper kill-switch message, whatever that message may be.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

farfidnuggin posted:

I don't know if I misheard him, but it sounded like 'Hooyah' when he said it. That's a US Navy SEAL thing. It could be a legacy tradition integrated into the Alliance N7 program.

Yep, you're right. I know because I was tickled pink that they got it right. That and that's what the subtitles say too.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Welp just finished a mission and lost all my credits, fuel and medi-gel. Nice one Bioware.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zedd posted:

Infiltrator can be a pure sniper (so hide and take shots from far away) so that is anti-vanguard. Engineer is less involved and has turrets and stuff doing a lot of the killing, so that is also anti-vanguard.

Are they all one-trick ponies? Vanguard was fun, but it was pretty much charge->nova ad nauseum. And I didn't need to bother with cover or flanking as I was just a pin ball. Sounds like either of the above two classes would allow for that.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Does galactic readiness matter? I've completed every single side mission and I'm at the part where you go to the Cerberus base to get back the Prothean thing. I think my war assets are fairly high, I just don't think I'd be arsed with multiplayer.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Are they all one-trick ponies? Vanguard was fun, but it was pretty much charge->nova ad nauseum. And I didn't need to bother with cover or flanking as I was just a pin ball. Sounds like either of the above two classes would allow for that.
Vanguard has the best trick, but he also has the fewest along with the soldier.

Sentinal is a good class, some tech some biotics, armor to either be aggressive or more durable with.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

dmccaff posted:

Does galactic readiness matter? I've completed every single side mission and I'm at the part where you go to the Cerberus base to get back the Prothean thing. I think my war assets are fairly high, I just don't think I'd be arsed with multiplayer.
Let's say you have 5000 War Assets, but you have 50% Readiness. That means your War Assets only count for half, so you only get 2500 War Assets towards the end, and this is what determines how "good" your ending is.

Playing multiplayer (or the two iOS games) will raise this Readiness. So, you should play it because it will help you, and it's pretty awesome. Seriously, just try the muliplayer, I had my doubts too, but it owns.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Question: I know Harbinger is in the game, Hackett mentions he's coming after you near the end push in London, but does he ever speak? They credit Keith Szarabajka at the end, but I didn't get a scene where Harbinger speaks. Maybe I missed out on something? Honestly I was kinda surprised that none of the Reaper forces ever yelled "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" and evolved into a murderous Harbinger controlled thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gordon Shumway posted:

Question: I know Harbinger is in the game, Hackett mentions he's coming after you near the end push in London, but does he ever speak? They credit Keith Szarabajka at the end, but I didn't get a scene where Harbinger speaks. Maybe I missed out on something? Honestly I was kinda surprised that none of the Reaper forces ever yelled "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" and evolved into a murderous Harbinger controlled thing.

Absolutely nothing. It's one of the things we're complaining about in the other thread.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah that one really was my key disapointment, mostly because it was totally unexpected.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Now I want Harbinger-Banshee's. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sombrerotron posted:

The second informs you that there appears to be some other, unknown force than the Reapers themselves responsible for the cycles.

When I heard that? I honestly thought that ME3 would end up being kicking the Reapers' asses, then kicking the rear end of said "unknown force" and callin' it a day. Which of course it wasn't, even though that's what Mass Effect is about.

• Locked thread