Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ciabatta posted:

Really? I've had no issues ever with Music. Scrolling (even in landscape!) is smooth, even with a few thousand songs, making playlists, pinning stuff, streaming, etc etc. Since it has lockscreen and notification controls in ICS, I haven't had any desire to look for an alternate music app. Is it buggy for most people or missing features many can't do without?

Seriously, is there a way to scroll the title in the stock music player? Mine does not do it and it pisses me off literally every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LastInLine posted:

Seriously, is there a way to scroll the title in the stock music player? Mine does not do it and it pisses me off literally every day.

Ohhhh, scrolling the title of a song? Yeah, not that I can see, and not even a slow automatic scroll. My bad, I thought you meant scrolling through songs or artists was messing up.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
I figure i'd post this here since it's a problem I have been having with an app and need some help.

I had used Smart Keyboard Pro on my DX for a WHILE with no issues whatsoever.

I put it on my RAZR and it wont predict text correctly.

For example if I type the word "somethong" it wont even correct it, it wont bring up the word "something" next to it in red.

There are other issues, for example, for whatever reason I saved the word "Missss" in my user dictionary and when i tried to type the word "is" which is a correct english word, it changed it to "Missss"

Here are the options I have enabled on the keyboard

General Settings:
T9 Next key
Show preview popup
Show alt Labels

In my "text prediction" settings, the following are checked:
Auto-Caps
Quick Fixes
Show suggestions
Space after picking
Always Suggest
Suggest punctuation
Period on double space
T9 length priority

If there are options I need to have checked that I don't, or have ones checked that shouldn't, please let me know.

Thanks

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Do you have it set to learn new words? I had that on and the predictions went out the window

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003

nickhimself posted:

Do you have it set to learn new words? I had that on and the predictions went out the window

No, you can only select "Learn new words" if Smart Dictionary is on, which it isn't.

And I just tried every combination of checking or unchecking those options and still the same result.

I am running ICS 4.0.3 and turned on "spelling correction" and that will at least underline misspelled words, then I can click on them to correct but on my old phone it would auto correct obvious mistakes as I typed them.

notbrant fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 17, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ciabatta posted:

Ohhhh, scrolling the title of a song? Yeah, not that I can see, and not even a slow automatic scroll. My bad, I thought you meant scrolling through songs or artists was messing up.
Yeah, I have a bunch of WTF podcasts in a playlist that I can basically just read "WTF #xxx - La..." for all of them. At least it's a surprise when the next one comes on.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any recommendations for ICS based launchers? The default CM9 one is bout doing it for me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Gyshall posted:

Any recommendations for ICS based launchers? The default CM9 one is bout doing it for me.

Nova. The paid version adds gestures, screen transitions and some other options which is nice but it's pretty pricey. $4

As long as you don't mind paying for something that will be abandoned like Launcher Pro I say go for it.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Do either BeyondPod or Pocket Casts support podcasts that require a username and password? Are there any other podcast apps that do?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Do either BeyondPod or Pocket Casts support podcasts that require a username and password? Are there any other podcast apps that do?

BeyondPod lets you specify a username and password for a given feed. I have no idea if/how well it works, but it looks like the support is at least there in the settings. It has a 7-day free trial, so you wouldn't really lose anything by giving it a try.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

Also, working on the ability to launch AirDroid automatically when connected to your networks.

Speaking of AirDroid, why does it suck at texts? I have to refresh it to see the new message that I hear from my phone's notification, and messages often fail to send.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

hooah posted:

Speaking of AirDroid, why does it suck at texts? I have to refresh it to see the new message that I hear from my phone's notification, and messages often fail to send.

In my experience if the text had to be split into two texts due to length it never sends it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I've been using the stock Listen app for my podcasts, but there are a few annoying things about it. It doesn't seem to handle older entries in my feeds very well (I tried queuing older episodes of The Thrilling Adventure Hour and it ended up getting them all out of order, when the actual feed has them ordered just fine). It'll also just stop playing the audio file- sometimes a notification sound will play and the podcast won't come back, but other times it seems to happen for no reason.

Aside from that, I really like how simple the interface is. Are there any alternatives that keep things nice and clean? Or is this just an underlying Gingerbread issue that'll clear up when the Nexus S gets its official ICS update?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone have aa problem with the new Google Voice where it will suddenly have three to four extra widgets in the Widgets menu?

I've had this problem occur a lot and when it does, I can't use any GV widgets or load new ones.

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Apex launcher is pretty cool, and free.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anddoes.launcher

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Nova. The paid version adds gestures, screen transitions and some other options which is nice but it's pretty pricey. $4

Please keep in mind that $4 is not pricey. Get the free version, if you like it, forego your Starbucks latte today and buy the app. I wish people would throw more money at good Android apps because when you look at all of the numbers it doesn't make sense for developers to develop on Android. Fewer people can download the app on iOS and they still turn a 20x higher profit.

Anyways: Nova is awesome and it's far smoother than Go Launcher and LPP on ICS and still feels like the ICS launcher.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fudsak posted:

Please keep in mind that $4 is not pricey. Get the free version, if you like it, forego your Starbucks latte today and buy the app. I wish people would throw more money at good Android apps because when you look at all of the numbers it doesn't make sense for developers to develop on Android. Fewer people can download the app on iOS and they still turn a 20x higher profit.

Anyways: Nova is awesome and it's far smoother than Go Launcher and LPP on ICS and still feels like the ICS launcher.

When the cost of entry for the majority of apps is $1-$2 bucks then yes $4 would be considered pricey. Did I have a problem paying it? No. Good apps are worth money and especially a launcher. There is literally no other app on your phone you interact with more than it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

When the cost of entry for the majority of apps is $1-$2 bucks then yes $4 would be considered pricey. Did I have a problem paying it? No. Good apps are worth money and especially a launcher. There is literally no other app on your phone you interact with more than it.

I'd say I spend way more time in greader or Awful on any given day than on my homescreen or app drawer. Do you just stare at your homescreen or what? :confused:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Dark One posted:

I've been using the stock Listen app for my podcasts, but there are a few annoying things about it. It doesn't seem to handle older entries in my feeds very well (I tried queuing older episodes of The Thrilling Adventure Hour and it ended up getting them all out of order, when the actual feed has them ordered just fine). It'll also just stop playing the audio file- sometimes a notification sound will play and the podcast won't come back, but other times it seems to happen for no reason.

Aside from that, I really like how simple the interface is. Are there any alternatives that keep things nice and clean? Or is this just an underlying Gingerbread issue that'll clear up when the Nexus S gets its official ICS update?

Nope, Listen is a piece of rear end.

Go pick up BeyondPod; it's absolutely worth it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'd say I spend way more time in greader or Awful on any given day than on my homescreen or app drawer. Do you just stare at your homescreen or what? :confused:

Do you keep nothing useful on the launcher and use nothing but the app switcher? :confused:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Do you keep nothing useful on the launcher and use nothing but the app switcher? :confused:

My launcher has weather, toggle widgets, and most used apps but I rarely spend more than a few seconds at a time using the launcher. What are you using it for that you're spending so much time with it?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Music & podcast widgets, full page agenda widget (work calendar, I have way too many phone meetings), full page messaging widget (I use it basically as a pager for server status and call center stats), full page email widget, G+ photo widget for my photography circle, quick toggles for Voice and gestures set on everything in the dock bar (mostly for composing things).

Basically, the more information I can get at without leaving the launcher the better.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

UncleNaughtyFingers posted:

When you long press the album art it searches for alternative album art(by id3 tag Google image search I think).
You may have brought up that menu and got what you had when you randomly tapped.
Just long press again and select whatever art you want in the future if it ever happens again.

That was it right there. Can't believe I didn't try long pressing the album art before the other stuff.

Ciabatta posted:

Really? I've had no issues ever with Music. Scrolling (even in landscape!) is smooth, even with a few thousand songs, making playlists, pinning stuff, streaming, etc etc. Since it has lockscreen and notification controls in ICS, I haven't had any desire to look for an alternate music app. Is it buggy for most people or missing features many can't do without?

It worked flawlessly for a while for me too. Then when it updated to Play it started making GBS threads itself and crashing literally every time I scrolled through a list. Reverting to the old version of the app didn't help. It's still super smooth though, and I have close to 10000 songs there now. The only feature I'd miss is gapless playback (android stock player white whale)

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

spincube posted:

Nexus S (GB)

The Dark One posted:

when the Nexus S gets its official ICS update?
Why don't your Nexii S's have ICS? I have a Nexus S and it's been on ICS just about since it came out.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

landis posted:

Why don't your Nexii S's have ICS? I have a Nexus S and it's been on ICS just about since it came out.

Because only a few GSM Nexus Ss got it before Google stopped rolling it out and hasn't said poo poo since then.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

IRQ posted:

Because only a few GSM Nexus Ss got it before Google stopped rolling it out and hasn't said poo poo since then.
I didn't believe you until I googled for myself.

Weird. I noticed slightly shorter battery life but I always chalked it up to running my screen at max brightness or, you know, extended PvZ sessions. When it's in standby it lasts plenty long enough, otherwise I just plug in when I go to bed like I always have.

Glad I lucked out though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

landis posted:

I didn't believe you until I googled for myself.

Weird. I noticed slightly shorter battery life but I always chalked it up to running my screen at max brightness or, you know, extended PvZ sessions. When it's in standby it lasts plenty long enough, otherwise I just plug in when I go to bed like I always have.

Glad I lucked out though.

You keep your NS at max brightness? On Gingerbread, how's that leave your battery life? How about on ICS?

I've been thinking about doing this to try it but I'm not sure...plus burn-in annoys me.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

ThermoPhysical posted:

You keep your NS at max brightness? On Gingerbread, how's that leave your battery life? How about on ICS?

I've been thinking about doing this to try it but I'm not sure...plus burn-in annoys me.
Don't recall well enough how it was under GB to say, I got the phone shortly before I got ICS. My impression of shorter battery life coming from GB to ICS was vague enough that I never thought ICS itself was to blame. Under ICS it easily lasts a day with normal use and plenty to spare, only on days where I'm playing a game or whatever for a while do I really notice. I've been running it this way since I've had it and there is zero burn-in or ghosting. From what I've read, folks that have experienced that have faulty displays, normally it would take hours of non-stop static image display (like a store model) to make a difference. Time will tell I suppose but I've had little reason to be worried.

For what it's worth and more on topic I've not had issues with the new Google Music or any of the Play updates either, although I'm not a heavy user of Books. Now I'm a little concerned :tinfoil:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The Google music app is good, except for the glaring loving problem that when you put a playlist on shuffle, THE SAME SONGS COME ON OVER AND OVER AGAIN :argh:

I mean seriously sometimes you can listen to a song, hit the skip button 2 or 3 times and the same song will pop up. This happens over and over again. How loving hard is it to make a music app shuffle songs properly?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Anybody have any recommendation for good and fast music app? Hopefully on that does not split up albums in the artist view because the song has more than one artist. that last part is most important. The stock google play music is too slow and it's not grouping local music like it should.

edit: VV same problem as him.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 18, 2012

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I hate the google nusic player. No sleep timer, no alarm, no ability to edit tags or album art, it takes over the notification widget music controls so I can't use them with Winamp, it sometimes randomly starts playing music for no discernable reason, and it keeps doing this poo poo:

Splitting ambums up even though it's all tagged with the same album and artist. About the only thing it does that I like is stream music. That API can't come out soon enough.

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 18, 2012

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
This could just be a problem I'm having, but Google Music seems to love re-downloading my entire library to my phone every time I get on wifi. I've seen it hit 100% a couple of times...even though I'm not editing my library at all. It's cool to know that it just feels like using network whenever.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

Anybody have any recommendation for good and fast music app? Hopefully on that does not split up albums in the artist view because the song has more than one artist. that last part is most important. The stock google play music is too slow and it's not grouping local music like it should.

edit: VV same problem as him.
So you mean it splits albums in album view and you incorrectly said artist view? I would think you'd want it to group stuff by artist regardless of which album it was in in artist view... right? In any case...VVV

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I hate the google nusic player. No sleep timer, no alarm, no ability to edit tags or album art, it takes over the notification widget music controls so I can't use them with Winamp, it sometimes randomly starts playing music for no discernable reason, and it keeps doing this poo poo:

Splitting ambums up even though it's all tagged with the same album and artist. About the only thing it does that I like is stream music. That API can't come out soon enough.
I'll give you the lack of features (I've never personally needed those but I see their value) but I have never had a problem with it randomly playing music for no discernible reason and I've never had it split my albums in album view, including albums with multiple artists. When I've been playing music recently it will automatically start whenever it connects to my car's bluetooth but that is desired behavior.

nickhimself posted:

This could just be a problem I'm having, but Google Music seems to love re-downloading my entire library to my phone every time I get on wifi. I've seen it hit 100% a couple of times...even though I'm not editing my library at all. It's cool to know that it just feels like using network whenever.
Never had this problem either.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

landis posted:

So you mean it splits albums in album view and you incorrectly said artist view? I would think you'd want it to group stuff by artist regardless of which album it was in in artist view... right? In any case...VVV

no, it splits albums in artist view when the song has more than one artist, where as before it decided to poo poo itself everything was grouped by album in all views, like it should be. This isn't unique to google music since all music apps i've tried do this same stupid thing, but the newest version stopped this behavior, at least for songs that were downloaded through the app and not already on the sdcard. Now, for example, instead of just having a single artist "Apocalyptica" i now have "Apocalyptica/Sandra Nasic" and "Apocalyptica/Max Cavalera" etc, so i have ten goddamn entries in artist view for the same artist album. Really I'd use any music app that did not do this.

edit: this is what I mean

realplayer does the same thing

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 18, 2012

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands
I dont have the app but at a guess I would think its because the tag is name/name and it doesn't recognise the / as being not part of the name itself. Like on Windows Media you use iirc ; between artists to break it up?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Lprsti99 posted:

As always, Tasker.

Is there a good guide to tasker somewhere? I can get as far as "fire off a notification when time equal to" but I can't figure out how to set it off every hour, let alone find a way to toggle it when I go into and out of work (I work at different times on different days, or else I'd just use an hourly chime app off the marketplace).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

One thing I do dislike about the Google Music player is when you open it, there's a button at the bottom to take you to the music store. The reason that bugs me is that it USED to be a loving play button. Having that play button was soooo much nicer.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Does anyone know of an app that will set off a notification every hour? It doesn't need to do anything else, just make a sound at the top of the hour.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Is there a good guide to tasker somewhere? I can get as far as "fire off a notification when time equal to" but I can't figure out how to set it off every hour, let alone find a way to toggle it when I go into and out of work (I work at different times on different days, or else I'd just use an hourly chime app off the marketplace).

Contexts:
1) Time, 0000-2300, repeat every 1 hour
2) State-Variable-Variable Value: %WORK = on

Task: Media, Music Play (file)

You'll then have to set up a profile that sets the WORK variable to "on" when you get to work and off when you leave. If you have a specific work wifi you connect to can create a task that sets the variable WORK to "on" when you get to connect to that wifi and off when you disconnect. Or you can set it up to detect when you are at your work location. Or you can set up a manual toggle widget on your desktop.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 18, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

az jan jananam posted:

You'll then have to set up a profile that sets the WORK variable to "on" when you get to work and off when you leave. If you have a specific work wifi you connect to can create a task that sets the variable WORK to "on" when you get to connect to that wifi and off when you disconnect. Or you can set it up to detect when you are at your work location. Or you can set up a manual toggle widget on your desktop.
Or just skip the variable altogether and use a WiFi Connected or Location state directly in the profile above.

I believe there's also a state which checks the on/off status of another profile.

Either way, you shouldn't need a variable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying out the chrome beta and almost all pages get the mobile view. Can't find an option to prefer desktop view. Help?

• Locked thread