Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

tadashi posted:

I really like the buddy relationship with Garrus if you're a male Shep. It seems to be one of the best written relationship developments over the course of the series. The "special" hang between Garrus and Shepard about half way through the game especially rings true.
Garrus and Liara are probably my fave characters overall because of all the squadmates, they're by far Shepard's best friends. Especially in ME3, they seem like the two major pillars propping Shepard up again and again when the galaxy's got him/her down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

tadashi posted:

I really like the buddy relationship with Garrus if you're a male Shep. It seems to be one of the best written relationship developments over the course of the series. The "special" hang between Garrus and Shepard about half way through the game especially rings true.

It works if you're female and not romancing Garrus, too. I am eager to see how it'll go when I'm replaying as Lando Shepard, my dude biotic.

I haven't started playing yet as an Adept, but how do you deal with Brutes and Banshees as an Adept? Is there a standard strategy? Using my Vanguard it's been pretty easy so far, but I am not eager to see what Adept or Sentinel is gonna be like having to fight those fuckers.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

NihilCredo posted:

Where was the gay Turian? I obsessively canvassed the Citadel like twenty times, but I don't remember that one.

I don't remember one in 3, but in 2 the LOTSB DLC reveals one of the minor Turian characters on Omega is gay.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Wow, I got through most of insanity without a hitch as an Engineer, but (near-end spoiler)this Marauder is giving me so much trouble. I've died a dozen times on this thing now.

Edit - And now I beat it. The key was not using the left trigger.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 19, 2012

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

rotinaj posted:

I haven't started playing yet as an Adept, but how do you deal with Brutes and Banshees as an Adept? Is there a standard strategy? Using my Vanguard it's been pretty easy so far, but I am not eager to see what Adept or Sentinel is gonna be like having to fight those fuckers.

Brutes and Banshees go down really fast to Biotic Detonations. Remeber also that if you have an eletrical skill in your party, you can do Overload/Sabotage/Energy Drain->Warp->Throw for a quick Tech Burst->Biotic Detonation combo - kills barriers very fast.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Snicker-Snack posted:

Brutes and Banshees go down really fast to Biotic Detonations. Remeber also that if you have an eletrical skill in your party, you can do Overload/Sabotage/Energy Drain->Warp->Throw for a quick Tech Burst->Biotic Detonation combo - kills barriers very fast.

Tech Bursts only work when the target dies to the second power used, so you would have to set that up on a Husk or something nearby.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

MadHat posted:

Tech Bursts only work when the target dies to the second power used, so you would have to set that up on a Husk or something nearby.

Not entirely true. The electrical Tech Burst works if the target lives. Cryo and Pyro explosions require the target to die.

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 19, 2012

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
First run in the bag, and now I can end my 'avoid various parts of the internet' policy. Doing an Insanity Adept for the first go through was a shrewd move, because holy crap that was a poo poo-load of intense action and biotic carnage! Brutally tough in spots, particularly early on, but by the end of the game I was mostly kicking arse.

I'll leave any thoughts about the ending until I've had a chance to digest things, but win, lose, or draw, the journey was loving amazing. Next up, Insanity Engineer; really looking forward to getting to grips with the ME3-enhanced version of the class (and wouldn't you know it, I have an L30 Insanity Engineer all ready for import :dance:).

rotinaj - Definitely pay heed to Snicker-Snack's comments on Brutes and Banshees. Brutes in particular are surprisingly easy to kill, with a well-chosen shore party, using combined arms and talents combos. Banshees can still go to hell, mind you; for those, high mobility helps. Particularly, dispersing the party around the field, if possible, get some good kiting action going on while you pound away. Tricky if there are minions, but particularly during Banshee rushes I had great success by splitting my party.

Edit: I was also very appreciative of how the rejigged talents really helped expand the scope of who a good shore party can be comprised of (pursuent to class and build of course; for now I'm assuming the other classes benefitted like Adept did).

Edit: On a different note, are there any known bugs with the save importing aside from the face-code thing? When reviewing the list of importable careers at the beginning, there were only 25 listed, and I know I've more completed ME2 runs than that.

magimix fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 19, 2012

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

rotinaj posted:

I'm most of the way through on a Insanity Adept and I've not any problems with either, just spam Warp->Throw for constant detonations and they go down quick. Same goes for shielded enemies too. Like magimix said though, gotta keep moving to keep them away from you, but if you've got decent recharge times they go down quick regardless. Squad powers are just a bonus. Though if you want to make really short work of them have Liara and Garrus. Liara alternates Warp setups for you since your warp takes longer to recharge than Throw. And Garrus just throws in some weapon damage and Warp infused Concussive shots. Banshees literally only take seconds.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

evilalien posted:

Wow, I got through most of insanity without a hitch as an Engineer, but (near-end spoiler)this Marauder is giving me so much trouble. I've died a dozen times on this thing now.

Edit - And now I beat it. The key was not using the left trigger.

Oh Marauder Shields...

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

messagemode1 posted:

Oh Marauder Shields...

He tried his hardest to stop you.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

NihilCredo posted:

Where was the gay Turian? I obsessively canvassed the Citadel like twenty times, but I don't remember that one.
Garrus is even worse: "Not right now", "So whose rear end needs kicking now?". drat you space bird man, you can't give me one romantic conversation when you show up and then pretty much nothing else until the late-game!

At least Tali has a "Thanks for coming by, Shepard."

I mean, come on, would it kill you guys to record some different dialogue for romanced partners? At least give me the option to invite them to my showerless cabin again.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Showerless?!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So what do Goons think of the sound effects in this game? I think my favourite is the fog horns the Reapers use, nearly blew out my eardrums I had it so loud last time I played.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Flipswitch posted:

So what do Goons think of the sound effects in this game? I think my favourite is the fog horns the Reapers use, nearly blew out my eardrums I had it so loud last time I played.

Yeah the Reaper noises are awesome. You expect good sound in ME3 though since EA apparently called in DICE to do some of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Flipswitch posted:

They're great.

The game became even better when I turned the dynamic range down to low, and could hear the background conversations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Flipswitch posted:

Ever since Terminator: Salvation insisted on punctuating just about every single action scene with noises like that I can't stop thinking of those generic mechanical noises as robot farts.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Zedd posted:

The gently caress? :stare: I heard about this once but is this actually being attempted somewhere? (Don't derail just yes or no is fine)

Well, banned might be a bit of an overstatement. They are trying, however, in one state to make it so any employer can deny covering birth control if they have a 'moral objection'. Also, employers should be able to fire someone if they use birth control pills for non-medical reasons (i.e., for actual birth control) if that conflicts with the emloyer's moral beliefs...

Republicans think they've got a winning issue here.

Sorry for the slight derail, just wanted to spread some knowledge.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Noxville posted:

Yeah the Reaper noises are awesome. You expect good sound in ME3 though since EA apparently called in DICE to do some of it.
No surprise then if they brought DICE in for it, the entire sound range (VA/FX/Score) is great in Mass Effect, pulls it together nicely for me.

Phylodox posted:

Ever since Terminator: Salvation insisted on punctuating just about every single action scene with noises like that I can't stop thinking of those generic mechanical noises as robot farts.
All I can think of is the Tripods in War of the Worlds, vvvrrrBLORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrr.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

richardfun posted:

Well, banned might be a bit of an overstatement. They are trying, however, in one state to make it so any employer can deny covering birth control if they have a 'moral objection'. Also, employers should be able to fire someone if they use birth control pills for non-medical reasons (i.e., for actual birth control) if that conflicts with the emloyer's moral beliefs...

Republicans think they've got a winning issue here.

Sorry for the slight derail, just wanted to spread some knowledge.
That is loving retarded, but thanks for the info. :)

Anyway, I wish ME3 had more Legion. :(

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Zedd posted:

Anyway, I wish ME3 had more Legion. :(

Same here, especially considering he was already shafted in ME 2, getting most of his plot cut. :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Flipswitch posted:

All I can think of is the Tripods in War of the Worlds, vvvrrrBLORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrr.

I am pretty sure that the Tripods in the origonal book are referred to of having a some kind of horn on them.

Oh that's just said I told Miranda I just wanted to stay friends, and she's walking away crying I'm such a bastard.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

twistedmentat posted:

I am pretty sure that the Tripods in the origonal book are referred to of having a some kind of horn on them.

Correct,

quote:

My attention was diverted from this death flurry by a furious yelling, like that of the thing called a siren in our manufacturing towns.

The Reaper horn is probably my favourite video game noise of recent times.

[edit]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEusaXT3n8M&t=3m29s

The actual horn is at 5:10 or so, but the whole section is great

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 20, 2012

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I just recovered a bunch of war assets and on my map it has "Officer Dellk" in the Embassy Offices. I can't find the officer at all. I'm assuming it's a Turian but even when I walk around toe everybody, I'm not seeing a prompt or anything. Anyone know where this guy/girl is?

Nevermind, he was all the way passed the Spectre office in that back hallway.. Didn't even know that was a part of the Embassy Offices.

DoYouHasaRabbit fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 20, 2012

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

HoveringCheesecake posted:

gently caress. I haven't even tried MP yet, but it sounds like it is just a horde mode which I hate. You're telling me they sell special packages for it? Ugh.

And at this point is anyone going to argue that the time they devoted to the MP component didn't water down the single player even a little bit? Like the N7 missions that take place in the multiplayer arenas. It's so glaringly obvious that you are on a map that wasn't built for single player.
Actually, it's the other way around. A Bioware writer I know said that without the team working on multiplayer maps, there wouldn't have been enough for the N7 missions.

quote:

BioWare claimed it wouldn't, but they already have lied/stretched the truth about MP not being needed for the "best" ending.
No, that's completely true. You don't have to do any multiplayer for the ending they think is the best—Synthesis. They just didn't understand that that wasn't the best ending, or rather the least awful ending.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

I didn't see a gay turian either. There's one guy who seems pretty close to his c-sec partner, but the partner has a wife and kids. I figured it was a partner thing.
Yeah, they're just really loyal to each other, like Garrus and ManShep.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

CaptainCarrot posted:

Actually, it's the other way around. A Bioware writer I know said that without the team working on multiplayer maps, there wouldn't have been enough for the N7 missions.

Oh, you know one of the writers? Why don't you ask him what the gently caress happened.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Oh, you know one of the writers? Why don't you ask him what the gently caress happened.

We already know what happened, don't we? Walters designed a terrible ending, Hudson made it worse, and they ignored the rest of the writers' opinions.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
There's an obvious disconnect between the character/mission writers and the overall plot, particularly at the ending. The discord between the squad members' final words before the last battle and the ending are jarring. No one will achieve whatever they said they were going to do after the war is over.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CaptainCarrot posted:

We already know what happened, don't we? Walters designed a terrible ending, Hudson made it worse, and they ignored the rest of the writers' opinions.

I think a lot of that has only really been assumed. Not that I think it's wrong, but I'd love to hear more about it.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Ambiguatron posted:

There's an obvious disconnect between the character/mission writers and the overall plot, particularly at the ending. The discord between the squad members' final words before the last battle and the ending are jarring. No one will achieve whatever they said they were going to do after the war is over.

I read all of your posts as if your av was saying them and it makes them even funnier.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ambiguatron posted:

Yeah, isn't that an awesome thing for them to do? :suicide:

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
So my total military strength is 6536, my readiness rating is 57% and my effective military strength is 3725... I have to get at least 5000 effective military strength in order to get the synthetic ending right? I did this guide where I got all the war assets. I'm guessing certain choices in the game effects your military strength as well

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

So my total military strength is 6536, my readiness rating is 57% and my effective military strength is 3725... I have to get at least 5000 effective military strength in order to get the synthetic ending right? I did this guide where I got all the war assets. I'm guessing certain choices in the game effects your military strength as well

There is a guide explaining the point thresholds here:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

If I read that right, you only need 2800 points to choose any explosion color you wish.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

So my total military strength is 6536, my readiness rating is 57% and my effective military strength is 3725... I have to get at least 5000 effective military strength in order to get the synthetic ending right?

You can unlock that ending with what you've got.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Ambiguatron posted:

A good summation, I think. I say again, the journey was awesome. The missions, the stuff you do in them, and the varied character beats that play out, and arcs that conclude, were mostly awesome to me (actually, scratch that; I enjoyed them all). But none of that had any bearing on anything.

Still, I'm sanguine; I'll enjoy the journey many times more, at the least.

dark_3y3
Sep 24, 2002

"Identity Crisis" Murderer.
Like everyone else in this thread, I loved 98% of the game but that drat ending. I know some people like the 'indoctrination' angle, and it's a better theory than the crap we got. But the fact you confront the ILM just before the magic star kid kinda throws that out the window. It's also way to subtle for an RPG that has a 'no dialogue choices' gameplay option.

I also have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with how much fun the multiplayer is, I didn't have very high expectations for it. Salarian engineer is bad rear end, I'm just a one man wrecking ball.

Magil of Shadow posted:

I mean, come on, would it kill you guys to record some different dialogue for romanced partners? At least give me the option to invite them to my showerless cabin again.

There's even a toilet you can flush beside the shower in my cabin. It's only in the CE version.

dark_3y3 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 20, 2012

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CaptainCarrot posted:

No, that's completely true. You don't have to do any multiplayer for the ending they think is the best—Synthesis. They just didn't understand that that wasn't the best ending, or rather the least awful ending.

It still weirds me out a bit that people consider the 'least awful ending' is the one with the highest known body count of sentient beings.

Granted, I also understand a lot of the reasoning behind it, but it's just kinda strange.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

It still weirds me out a bit that people consider the 'least awful ending' is the one with the highest known body count of sentient beings.

Granted, I also understand a lot of the reasoning behind it, but it's just kinda strange.

Yeah, I'm second-guessing myself for picking it now. I think my canon one is Control (not that I'll be playing single-player, let alone the ending, again any time soon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Is there any guide anywhere that would explain the various options in Gibbed's editor? I'm trying to figure out what some of the flags mean and stuff like "BlbGtl" is kinda arcane. "bulbous GTL"? "be like bob, go to liara"?

• Locked thread