Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Mcqueen posted:

I'd let a 748 strand me anytime...:swoon:

Let's see if you think that when the banjos start playing...:clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Odette posted:

I'd love to get one of these:

a CB400.

Friend has one and I'm jealous.

I'm hoarding one *evil laugh*

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/09/cb400f-up-and-running.html

Snowdens Secret posted:

Both of those old bikes look great. I hadn't seen a Kawi that old with the bright green, pretty neat.
My Triumph dealer has one for sale. They use it as their shop errands / lunch run bike. I sorta thought about buying it for my dad (he sold his 400 Super Sport when I was born) but they wanted $2500 for it, running but unrestored. I don't think they really want to sell it.

mmm there were fewer CB400F's made in the entirety of their production (75-77) than there are Sandcast CB750's.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mcqueen posted:

I'd let a 748 strand me anytime...:swoon:

Good because it probably will strand you every time.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

hayden. posted:

I used to have a Ninja 650R for a few years, it was a great bike but perhaps a little underpowered and somewhat ugly. I love the looks of the ER-6N, though, and my plan is to continue saving for a ZX14 or 2010+ Z1000 for a couple years after getting the ER-6n. I have the privilege of paying cash for my bikes, because financing means full coverage insurance, which is upwards of $160/month for me, and closer to $250-300/month for the ZX14.

Yeah I don't really care too much for looks as a whole but just the feel of the whole bike is great. I've only been riding for a year so a 650 is plenty of go for me right now. Although I did sign up for California Superbike School in May, so who knows.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm hoarding one *evil laugh*

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2011/09/cb400f-up-and-running.html

mmm there were fewer CB400F's made in the entirety of their production (75-77) than there are Sandcast CB750's.

Oh my god. I want. :swoon:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Well, I might as well post this since this bike won't be around much longer. Me and my 2010 Honda Shadow Phantom (which has black mirrors now instead of the stupid chrome ones) on one of our many road trips:

I'll miss you, but I won't miss the payment (or the elevated insurance)! :v:

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011
What's that about the 650r being ugly??
I just got this and I think it's one of the best looking bikes I know of.

Also I don't think it's underpowered. I did expect it to be a minor upgrade from my sedate ER500, but hell no this goes like a rocket. Guess I'm still a newbie. I hope the feeling lasts.

edit: typo

shimmy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 13, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
That's a drat fine looking bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I really like the way the shock is mounted on those Kawas. Anyone know any disadvantages? If you got an aftermarket one, it would really stick out as well.

Why yes, I do roll on Öhlins. :smug:

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
I have the naked version and while it's a lot of fun, there are definitely a few things that could be improved aesthetically. The banana seat for one looks silly and it's really not very comfortable.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Forty Two posted:

I have the naked version and while it's a lot of fun, there are definitely a few things that could be improved aesthetically. The banana seat for one looks silly and it's really not very comfortable.

But comfort is in the rear end of the beholder, isn't it?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ola posted:

I really like the way the shock is mounted on those Kawas. Anyone know any disadvantages? If you got an aftermarket one, it would really stick out as well.

Why yes, I do roll on Öhlins. :smug:

I imagine the disadvantages are exactly the opposite of what you just said. Aftermarket rear shocks are probably not very common. Swapping in the shock from another bike would probably be out of the question, as well. (I haven't done any recent research, but that was my conclusion a few years ago.)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It might be more difficult to fit shocks from other bikes if they have very different mounting points, but that's true for all bikes. Monoshocks in the middle tend to have very tight space around them.

Quick google, here you go, Öhlins for the Versys which has the same mount.

http://www.altrider.com/ohlins-shock-for-kawasaki-versys/pcid/58-9

It might be true that middleweight Kawa owners rarely buy aftermarket shocks, that would mean less models were available.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

shimmy posted:

What's that about the 650r being ugly??
I just got this and I think it's one of the best looking bikes I know of.

Also I don't think it's underpowered. I did expect it to be a minor upgrade from my sedate ER500, but hell no this goes like a rocket. Guess I'm still a newbie. I hope the feeling lasts.

edit: typo

When I was a newbie coming from a Ninja 250, the 650R was, in fact, a rocket ship. "How could I ever want more power than this?" I asked myself. As you will with all bikes (including liter bikes) you get used to the power and wind up thinking "I wish it had more mid-range" or whatever.

Also, when I said ugly, I meant this (ignore the gif part):

The new ones a million times better, though personally not my thing.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

hayden. posted:

Those front forks look like they came off a kids BMX bike...christ.

I also think the new one is pretty classy looking, better looking then anything else kawasaki is putting out these days.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Two weeks ago I rode a 650R around in a parking lot. It looked the same as the one above. It felt like riding a 250R, and I'm used to SV650s. Which goes to make me even glad I upgraded to SV's from my Ninja 250/500's. Definitely done with parallel twins.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the walkin dude posted:

Definitely done with parallel twins.

That is blasphemous and you ought to be struck straight into hell. Parallel twins are the ideal motorcycle engine :mad:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
After a Ninja 500, a GS500, and now a Ninja 250, I can say, with no shortage of confidence, that I am tired of parallel twins.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think my main complaint about the 650R, and this may have been resolved in the newer ones, is that the front suspension is just awful.

Also don't put sport bars on them :(

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
As far as I'm aware the suspension is exactly the same. It's budget suspension for a budget bike.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
Here she is. Brand new Monster 796 and I'm in love. Sorry for the nighttime photo.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Here she is. Brand new Monster 796 and I'm in love. Sorry for the nighttime photo.

Ooh nice.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Sploosh. I've always wondered how those ride. Is it comfortable enough to tour?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

That is quite lovely

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

yo i'm happy for you and all but personally that looks like poo poo, why did you waste your money on that?

-channeling mootmoot

(It's actually pretty great)

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Yea that looks like a blast. Let's get a daytime non-phone pic, please.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Good choice, those are great bikes. My friend picked one up last year and he loves it, even brought it to a track day and had a great time. The red frame with black looks pretty nice.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005
It was wash and wax weekend for my wife's car and my bike, so I had to get a picture:

Gotta figure out something with that exhaust though.. so huge and jarring compared to the rest of the bike :\

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

I think I got the new VM34s dialed in perfect now.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Registered Loser posted:

I think I got the new VM34s dialed in perfect now.

Country riding is the best riding.
:D

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Backyard Class of 2012

Back Row: Concours hiding in the shadows (on its way out)
Middle: New hotness
Front Row: Weber Grill

I picked this up last weekend from a guy who lives in Louisville. I live in DC so we meet about halfway in Charleston, WV. Not the most comfortable 380 mile ride I've ever done but not half bad either, especially when I wasn't on the highway.

2002 DRZ400S converted to an SM with some kit that I can't remember the name of. Came with the S tires and wheels, and Aceribis 4 gallon tank (I've heard mixed things) and a few extra sets of plastics. Has an FCR carb and some exhaust installed. I know it's been through at least a few guys from ADV before it got to me so I'm not totally clear on what else has been done -- certainly nothing crazy like a bored out cylinder, but I need to go over it more carefully and see what it has and doesn't have.

I love my Concours but riding just got a lot more fun. Anyone in DC want to teach me how to hoon?

Skumby
Jul 5, 2007
I'm Skumby dammit!!!!!!!

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

auruspex posted:

It was wash and wax weekend for my wife's car and my bike, so I had to get a picture:

Gotta figure out something with that exhaust though.. so huge and jarring compared to the rest of the bike :\

I am by no means experienced in sportbike aesthetics, but I think I'm doing O.K. if I think the Panigale is really beautiful. Suffice to say, I disagree with your thoughts about that exhast, and think it looks better than a LOT of the stock systems I've seen in this and other threads here. I think that's a great-looking bike, dude.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
What is happening to my life ugh :(

(guess I'll race minimoto now. sigh.)

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i recently picked up a third bike as well. i think i have a problem. riders anonymous?

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Veritas posted:

i recently picked up a third bike as well. i think i have a problem. riders anonymous?
Tell me about it, there are thirteen bikes in this pic of my garage (the fourteenth is at work with my girlfriend), oh, and a little car.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I really REALLY need to finish that CBR so I can either track it or get rid of it.

The SV is waiting on parts

The TTR's PO said that the carb bowl isn't filling up, so I'll probably have it running tomorrow. Apparently I can fit a real street tire up front and a scooter tire on the back on stock rims. Traded an old computer + lovely LCD monitor for it, so hey no damage there.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

Schlieren posted:

I am by no means experienced in sportbike aesthetics, but I think I'm doing O.K. if I think the Panigale is really beautiful. Suffice to say, I disagree with your thoughts about that exhast, and think it looks better than a LOT of the stock systems I've seen in this and other threads here. I think that's a great-looking bike, dude.

Yeah I have no real qualms with the general "look" of the exhaust, but I would prefer it be shorter (I think the 09 R6 had a stock can that was the same shape etc, but shorter), and perhaps black to match the rest of the bike. Having that one long matte silver piece in a sea of black goodness irks me a bit. One of the squid-y R6 forums I visit has a how to though on cutting the stock can that I might try. Could then take the external can to a powder-coater and have it blacked out. Only thing I really don't want to lose is the nice quietness the bike currently has.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

auruspex posted:

Here's a system I think looks alright (I'm not a fan of the snubby pipe craze, but it's the darkest one I could find.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TntWf_uuweQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fkin
Apr 19, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have 3 harleys. My 2004 Harley fxd which is pretty much my commuter to work. I have a 49 panhead in bits that I am rebuilding.

I just finished rebuilding my 1997 Springer softail classic which is my roadtrip bike:

I'll post up my fxd later

edit to list out the mods:

Fred's evil heads (cnc ported and beahives etc)
forged pistons
true duals
makuni carb
performance lifters cams and rods
600 watt amp and speakers
16 inch apes
rebuilt crank and bottom end and rebuilt juggs.

Basically a new 80 inch evo engine.

edit 2 - I forgot converted it to chain drive like my dyna which dropped the od5 down even further. Can't wait for the weather to improve.

Fkin fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 21, 2012