Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know, it was driving me nuts who Rana Thanoptis then I remembered she was the scientist from Sarens lab and the place you get Grunt. It was perplexing why You get a email saying she went nuts and killed a bunch of people and herself because she was indoctrinated

Did anyone find the Green Asari Commando from Zhu's Hope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

You know, it was driving me nuts who Rana Thanoptis then I remembered she was the scientist from Sarens lab and the place you get Grunt. It was perplexing why You get a email saying she went nuts and killed a bunch of people and herself because she was indoctrinated

Did anyone find the Green Asari Commando from Zhu's Hope?

You get an email from her, and the Zhu's Hope colonists become a War Asset.

Jesus, these last few pages have read like an FBI document. Isn't this why there's a spoiler thread?

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

I was just roadie running from a banshee, Shepard decided to do a full 180 degree turn and straight into an insta kill move.

Did ME2 have this many enemies that can OHK you? I swear it's like the game actively wants me to not play Vanguard.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Kifisonfire posted:

I was just roadie running from a banshee, Shepard decided to do a full 180 degree turn and straight into an insta kill move.

Did ME2 have this many enemies that can OHK you? I swear it's like the game actively wants me to not play Vanguard.

ME2 did not have instakill mechanics. A prompt to avoid OHKs would be nice (in singleplayer at least) but, as it is your only option is to stay away from them. The only way to avoid dying once you get caught in the animation is for the enemy to die or stagger. In any case, that is what you deserve for playing Vanguard. :smuggo:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'd at least play Overlord. It was well worth it for me, considering how it carries over.
Overlord, Shadow Broker and Arrival all carry over, but Arrival sucks.

Was pleasantly surprised that they made references to Overlord though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kifisonfire posted:

Nothing was an instant kill in the previous ME games. There were high damaging attacks that could kill you outright on higher difficulties, but nothing like the banshee and phantom stabs. Honestly I think these are really dumb mechanics. Not sure why they are in the game.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Internet Kraken posted:

Nothing was an instant kill in the previous ME games. There were high damaging attacks that could kill you outright on higher difficulties, but nothing like the banshee and phantom stabs. Honestly I think these are really dumb mechanics. Not sure why they are in the game.

From ancedotal experience, phantoms/banshees/atlases only activate their instant kill move if you're either totally immobile while next to them or your health is quite damaged to begin with, regardless of whether your shields are currently full or not.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
From what I could tell Banshees could instakill as long as they were not currently performing an attack animation, regardless of your health/shields. I didn't even know phantoms/atlases even had an instakill, so I don't know about that one. Vanguards can easily kill banshees as long as you time your charges to when they're still in an attack animation.

For the record, I found no area that seemed to prevent Vanguarding to its fullest extent. Well, except Geth missions seemed extra glitchy with Charge arbitrarily deciding not to trigger, which I don't think was on purpose. Though I almost think isn't a glitch, just a safeguard so there's only a maximum amount of rear end Vanguards can kick.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Viperix posted:

For the record, I found no area that seemed to prevent Vanguarding to its fullest extent.

The final defend the missiles bit when they attack from the flank - worst mistake you can possibly make is to charge up to the platform they come down onto, because they come down from the roof and can fire on you, but you can't charge up there.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Was pleasantly surprised that they made references to Overlord though.

The 'square root of 906.1 is... Hello, Commander Shepard' was very heartwarming to me. Good to see he was doing so well :unsmith:

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Two Finger posted:

The 'square root of 906.1 is... Hello, Commander Shepard' was very heartwarming to me. Good to see he was doing so well :unsmith:

Honestly, I saw that scene for the second time this week, and it got me JUST as much as it did the first time. The entire Academy was loving awesome, but seeing this kid actually healthy, and doing well, was loving perfect. Wonder what happened to Tabitha, the girl from the same colony as Shep?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Two Finger posted:

The best was him counting how many days Shepard had lengthened his life :3:

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Two Finger posted:

The final defend the missiles bit when they attack from the flank - worst mistake you can possibly make is to charge up to the platform they come down onto, because they come down from the roof and can fire on you, but you can't charge up there.

Ah, I had forgotten. Indeed that part did in fact require me to bunker down in a building with a nice killzone and play defensively. But I'm racking my brain and can't think of any other trouble levels that prevent the usual batshit insane charging tactics.

Also, if you don't find that moment with David at least a little touching, I'm sorry but you, as a person, are broken. :colbert:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
This is probably minor, but does renegade interrupting the Salarian Dalatrass during the diplomatic meeting on the Normandy have any consequences beyond pissing her off? Since reputation and alignment are separate things now I like to take renegade interrupts now and then but this seems like a situation where it might backfire to get the leader of an entire council race consternated at me.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dark_3y3 posted:

There's even a toilet you can flush beside the shower in my cabin. It's only in the CE version.

I understand that you had to let Mordin die and Tali or Legion got splattered over Rannoch but flushing the toilet while someone is in the shower? That's just mean (renegade interrupt, +2 renegade)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

This is probably minor, but does renegade interrupting the Salarian Dalatrass during the diplomatic meeting on the Normandy have any consequences beyond pissing her off? Since reputation and alignment are separate things now I like to take renegade interrupts now and then but this seems like a situation where it might backfire to get the leader of an entire council race consternated at me.

You will soon encounter, if you haven't already, the one decision that influences the dalatrass' willingness to help you. Later still, if Thane or Kirrahe is alive, you can go over her head, so it doesn't make a difference with respect to salarian involvement in the war effort.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Wibbleman posted:

I got mine about 5 days after release. I guess its just that EA/origin is crappy. Considering everything else just got dumped onto my origin account, not sure why the guns couldn't be.

I got my email on release day yet my fiance didn't get the email at all. I don't think it helped that the header for the email with the codes is something generically referencing a pre-order so it's more likely to be ignored or deleted than draw attention to 'Hey, the rest of your pre-order goodies are here'.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Magil of Shadow posted:

Honestly, I saw that scene for the second time this week, and it got me JUST as much as it did the first time. The entire Academy was loving awesome, but seeing this kid actually healthy, and doing well, was loving perfect.

It was really, really cool to see such a nice callback. That was one of the few times a game has made me feel physically disgusted, when you find out the truth in Overlord, so it was a really nice surprise to see him happy and healthy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Two Finger posted:

It was really, really cool to see such a nice callback. That was one of the few times a game has made me feel physically disgusted, when you find out the truth in Overlord, so it was a really nice surprise to see him happy and healthy.

I'm curious to see how his bother is doing when you meet him after doing the DLC. Without it he seems pretty down.

You know, I wonder if Jack was meant to be a party member early in development. Pretty much all the other ME2 party members kept their outfits, or had slight changes (removal of Cerberus icons), Jack got a complete makeover and wardrobe change. Only Proper party members got that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm curious to see how his bother is doing when you meet him after doing the DLC. Without it he seems pretty down.

He asks you if David is safe, because he heard about the attack on the Academy. You can either tell him or refuse to. I told him and got the option to chew him out a bit again. I hear if you refuse to, he drills a hole in his own skull with his side-arm.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

You know, I wonder if Jack was meant to be a party member early in development. Pretty much all the other ME2 party members kept their outfits, or had slight changes (removal of Cerberus icons), Jack got a complete makeover and wardrobe change. Only Proper party members got that.

The artbook says that her redesign happened before they knew how she was going to be used in the game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I missed the M99-Saber assault rifle on my first playthrough. My word, I have a new favorite gun. It's the Fallout 2 bozar all over again which basically means it's the best thing ever :woop:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Coughing Hobo posted:

I missed the M99-Saber assault rifle on my first playthrough. My word, I have a new favorite gun. It's the Fallout 2 bozar all over again which basically means it's the best thing ever :woop:
Yeah, in my opinion the Saber and the Particle Rifle are the two best ARs by far. The stupidly overpowered Particle is the best as a primary/long-range weapon (paired with a shotgun or SMG), but the Saber arguably beats it if you need to use it as a close-range weapon (either alone or paired with a sniper rifle), since it deals less damage but it deals it right now.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So... I finished the game and you guys weren't joking about the ending. I'd kill for a Broken Steel type DLC where I had drinks on the beach with Garrus and Liara while Wrex and Mordin counted seashells. Seriously one day I would like to play a game where it is at least possible to get a "happily ever after" ending. Granted I would choose the darker endings most of the time but still... no more Matrix speeches and "Hero does the noble sacrifice for no raisin" finishes please. The game was so drat good other than that.

Still wish I had a Krogan for my ending group. Would have killed to have Wrex so I could reunite my Bro Patrol from the first game.

Also how many bloody paragon points do I need to talk TIM down?. I had exactly two renegade moments that really didn't seem that renegade. Because gently caress Udina and gently caress Kai. In the other games the renegade choices were often hilariously over the top and fairly obvious.

For the Can-shooting scene with Garrus and every Mordin bit I can overlook the ending.

"I'm Garrus Vakarian, and this is now my favorite spot on the Citadel."

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 20, 2012

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Von_Doom posted:

Also how many bloody paragon points do I need to talk TIM down?. I had exactly two renegade moments that really didn't seem that renegade. [spoiler]

I assumed that it was just that you had to have your Paragon points up in that last tier of your reputation bar.I think I was like half way up that last section, with the rest being a small bit of renegade at the bottom (total rep maxed), and I was able to do it.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

You also need to have used every Blue/Red dialogue option ever available with that character. It doesn't have to be all blue, or all red, but it has to have been one of the two every time. occasionally they are hidden behind the left "investigate" side of the wheel.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Von_Doom posted:

Also how many bloody paragon points do I need to talk TIM down?

You needed to do the first paragon or renegade talking point on Mars.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GruntyThrst posted:

You also need to have used every Blue/Red dialogue option ever available with that character. It doesn't have to be all blue, or all red, but it has to have been one of the two every time. occasionally they are hidden behind the left "investigate" side of the wheel.

How do so many people get to the 3rd game in the Mass Effect series and not know to always exhaust the left wheel options first. :confused:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Given how much of a hoo-ha there was initially over the lack of 'investigate' options in the dialogue parts, it amazes me how many people seem to have completely ignored *that* particular one and so missed out on the last one being an available option.

Also, minor spoiler regarding the Normandy medical bay/mixing it up a little for NG+:

"No, Karin, the Alliance needs you...heeeeeeeeey, Chloe, the Normandy could *really* do with a medical officer. Join ussssssssssss."

:dance:

I wonder if there's a scene when Garrus joins the crew.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
Hey, I was just wondering, and this is a vital piece of Mass Effect story right here; does that guy with the omni-gel converter ever get his refund? :ohdear:

I've already spoiled myself on some elements of the game, but this is the big one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
^^ Why yes, he does

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Mock and Droll posted:

Hey, I was just wondering, and this is a vital piece of Mass Effect story right here; does that guy with the omni-gel converter ever get his refund? :ohdear:

I've already spoiled myself on some elements of the game, but this is the big one.

He sure does. At least, he did for me.

edit: MrL_JaKiri :argh:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

^^ Why yes, he does

But don't you need to choose to support him over the shopkeeper to get him the refund? So perhaps it's in your hands.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Von_Doom posted:

Also how many bloody paragon points do I need to talk TIM down?. I had exactly two renegade moments that really didn't seem that renegade. Because gently caress Udina and gently caress Kai. In the other games the renegade choices were often hilariously over the top and fairly obvious.

i swear this comes up at least 2-3 times a day now, I think we're at the point where we need to put it in spoilers in the first page of the thread.

you must use a persuade check (either paragon or renegade - and stick to them through the entire game) at every. single. prior. conversation with the illusive man in the game.

For the first mars mission you must use the left-side investigate option to pry open the first of these persuades, it's easy to miss. You must also persuade him at Thessia and at the Cerberus Base. Finally, you need to have nearly maxed reputation and you should be able to successfully persuade him in the final conversation at the very end.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
I have every ME2 DLC apart from Katsumi, will it work if I use gibbed to check the flag saying I recruited her and she's loyal? Is it worth it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I have every ME2 DLC apart from Katsumi, will it work if I use gibbed to check the flag saying I recruited her and she's loyal? Is it worth it?

Her appearance is short and funny. And I think it should work, although don't blame me if you computer explodes.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Doctor Spaceman posted:

blame me if you computer explodes.

Will do, thanks!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone know if it is possible to set a save to New game+ -mode using gibbed's save editor? I'd like to upgrade weapons to the maximum level.

VVVVV You have to import a ME3 Shepard

Andrast fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 20, 2012

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Andrast posted:

Does anyone know if it is possible to set a save to New game+ -mode using gibbed's save editor? I'd like to upgrade weapons to the maximum level.

On a related note, is it possible to start again from ME1, import the save from 2, and have it count as a new game+ in 3? Or do I have to import a ME3 Shepard?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

By the way, I'm on a real-world quest here: is there ANYONE, anyone at all on the planet, who has romanced Diana Allers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

NihilCredo posted:

By the way, I'm on a real-world quest here: is there ANYONE, anyone at all on the planet, who has romanced Diana Allers?

one of my friends did. Felt immediately dirty when I told him who jessica chobot was.

• Locked thread