Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Thanks for the suggestions guys, we'll be passing on Diablo 3 but we'll probably check out Netplay stuff (MAME came up last night but I wasn't confident in the integrity of the program since it would always DC or crash the poo poo out of me). The last time I used Kaillera was '07, has it gotten any stabler/better since then?

BadAstronaut posted:

FF nerds, will it make *any* difference if I play IX before I play 4/5/6? Will it ruin/spoil any story stuff?

It won't ruin any earlier stories, but FF9 is full of references to the earlier games, ranging from very blatant and related to the plot to completely subtle things you'll only pick up on had you played them. At worst you'll catch some seemingly out-of-place flavor but have no idea where it's from.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lWPIbLWWKyY Short summary: It's a trailer for an RPG about north american history, there's a kickstarter going: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seltaire/americana-dawn

It seems very Zybourne Clock-ish, i.e. way too ambitious for its own good, but at least there's quite a bit already done and what's there seems pretty nice! I have worries about how the story turns out since the creator doesn't seem to be the best of writers judging by the trailer and they're going for a very ambitious character arc. There's also this "we're in way over our heads" red flag from the description:

quote:

Large-Scale War System: In progress

But nevertheless it's something I'd like to see done. Like just cut the war system those are never good anyway and just finish what you've got right now, it looks good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gyoru posted:

Ys: The Oath in Felghana is now available on Steam for $14.99. System requirements are pretty low since it's an old game.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/207320/

It has Steam achievements and Steam Cloud support. Works with 360 and PS3 controllers too.
Everyone buy this game :)

Ys VI just came in the mail too, good times.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 1, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jesto posted:

If you do roll up some characters for a 4 player Shining Soul 1 and 2 playthrough, you should totally record it and put it up in the LP forum. Those games seriously didn't get enough attention when they were first released.

Haha, well we'll see. It would make for a good combo thread of Shining Soul + Crystal Chronicles; I just haven't been very lucky with recording, is all. Are there any Kaillera-compatible GBA emulators? I'm seeing some hits about Hamachi.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nate RFB posted:

Everyone buy this game :)

Ys VI just came in the mail too, good times.

I did and it won't run. When I try to launch it, I get an error message (eerily delivered by what looks like a character from the game?):

quote:

Elena: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL(8876086ch)

->data\vs_dx8\b__d.vso
d3d_shader.cpp(789)

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, and Avast flagged the game as a suspicious file, although I told it to let it open normally next time.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Oh yeah! I'm not sure if anyone posted this in here but Watermelon Team are taking preorders for another reprint run of Pier Solar.

I can't say I'm not excited.

http://piersolar.com/

It's $50 shipped either E/G/F or E/S/P language options. Supposedly will ship starting April 1.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Pier Solar is still a thing? :stare:

Though, I'll be honest, now that I have suitable income and a Genesis on hand I'm kinda tempted to order a copy. It'll easily be the most money I've ever spent on a 16-bit game.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

iastudent posted:

Though, I'll be honest, now that I have suitable income and a Genesis on hand I'm kinda tempted to order a copy. It'll easily be the most money I've ever spent on a 16-bit game.

Did you not buy 16-bit games when they first came out? I remember spending 70$ for Sword of Vermillion and 85$ for Earthbound. And those were precious 1990s dollars.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

MotU posted:

Did you not buy 16-bit games when they first came out? I remember spending 70$ for Sword of Vermillion and 85$ for Earthbound. And those were precious 1990s dollars.

Most 16-bit games I got as a child were either bought/gifted by family or usually used ones with my own cash. I also didn't get my first 16-bit console (SNES) until the mid 90s when there were already several games marked down.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

iastudent posted:

I'm kinda excited. I always wanted to play it but gently caress paying $300 for a copy of it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I did and it won't run. When I try to launch it, I get an error message (eerily delivered by what looks like a character from the game?):

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, and Avast flagged the game as a suspicious file, although I told it to let it open normally next time.
I have Windows 76 64 Professional and it runs fine for me. Maybe mess around with the Configuration (launched separately from Steam) a bit?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I have Windows 76 64 Professional and it runs fine for me. Maybe mess around with the Configuration (launched separately from Steam) a bit?

I got it working, but I almost wish I hadn't.

400 hp boss, the only attack you can use on her is a fireball that does 3 damage, and your mana regenerates so slowly that even firing just once in between each of her attacks will eventually deplete your mana pool. And she doesn't vary her pattern until she's down to ~175 hp, and can kill you in about 8-9 hits (after grinding), so there's like five minutes of tedium before you get to the actual bossfight which is then full of homing projectiles and AoE attacks that you can only dodge by knowing ahead of time where they're going to land.

Who comes up with this poo poo? :psyduck:

EDIT: I'll stick with it because if it weren't for the stupidly disproportionate numbers, it would probably be a pretty fun battle. Hopefully once I get enough money to upgrade my equipment later encounters won't be so lopsided.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 20, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You're doing it wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RQTB77EMG8Y#t=657s

That is, you probably missed the first Ruby. I did the same thing when I played the game for the first time on the PSP and felt really dumb afterwards.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 20, 2012

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Yeah, I did the same thing too. I don't think the game had had any environmental interactions up to that point, so I didn't even think to try lighting that torch with the fire magic. The boss is really easy once you have the charge magic attack.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I did the same thing myself on my first playthrough, on hard mode. Even without the upgraded fireball, it's still not as bad as some of the other bosses in my opinion :V

It shouldn't be doing 3 damage every fireball. Some will slip through and do like 20-30 if I recall correctly.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

flyboi posted:

Oh yeah! I'm not sure if anyone posted this in here but Watermelon Team are taking preorders for another reprint run of Pier Solar.

I can't say I'm not excited.

http://piersolar.com/

It's $50 shipped either E/G/F or E/S/P language options. Supposedly will ship starting April 1.

That looks super interesting, shame I don't have my Genesis anymore. I wish they'd think about releasing a steam version or something.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Augh I can't even beat the first boss. I know I beat it on the PSP version but I don't remember how long it took. I can't figure out how to get around one of the sword patterns very well, the one where four come out in all directions and then towards you I think.

THEN I got that stupid achievement for dying 10 times to a boss and felt extra-discouraged. :argh:

At least I got it working well on my machine. I have it fullscreen but with black bars and it looks pretty good. I love how saving is absolutely instant too, haha.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
That 4 swords attack is a bitch because you have to wait a little longer to make your first jump compared to the other attacks, and even then it will still often hit you (sometimes twice! argh). If you can manage to dodge it once or twice and never get hit by his other attacks (which aren't too hard to dodge), then you should be able to outlast him. Alternatively, grinding up even a level or two makes a huge difference in how much damage you take, so that's an easy way to make the bosses easy.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Papercut posted:

That 4 swords attack is a bitch because you have to wait a little longer to make your first jump compared to the other attacks, and even then it will still often hit you (sometimes twice! argh). If you can manage to dodge it once or twice and never get hit by his other attacks (which aren't too hard to dodge), then you should be able to outlast him. Alternatively, grinding up even a level or two makes a huge difference in how much damage you take, so that's an easy way to make the bosses easy.

Yeah, that's exactly what happens. I can dodge the other attacks fairly consistently. Maybe I'll just go grind a little. I killed everything while heading in but was lazy about killing everything on the way back so maybe I'm a little underleveled. :shobon:

This game owns though, just to reiterate. It seems very simplistic at first but once you get thrown into mobs of enemies you're forced to figure out on the fly the best way to manage each of them. It gets crazy pretty fast because the enemies are generally not pushovers.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 20, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
These Final Fantasy games are in sale in Playstation Store for US and Canada from today until next Tuesday:

quote:

Prices for Playstation Plus members in bold, other price for everyone else.

Final Fantasy Origins (FF1 and FF2) PS one (now $6.99/$4.89, original price $9.99)
Final Fantasy Tactics PS one (now $6.99/$4.89, original price $9.99)
Final Fantasy V – PS one (now $6.99/$4.89, original price $9.99)
Final Fantasy VI – PS one (now $6.99/$4.89, original price $9.99)
Final Fantasy VII – PS one (now $6.99/$4.89, original price $9.99)
Final Fantasy VIII – PS one (now $6.99/$4.89, original price $9.99)
Final Fantasy XI - PS one (now $6.99/$4.89, original price $9.99)

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions Digital (PSP) (now $6.99/$4.89, original price $9.99)
Dissidia Final Fantasy Digital (PSP) (now $13.99/$9.79, original price $19.99)
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection Digital (PSP) (now $20.99/$14.69, original price $29.99)

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 20, 2012

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'd go for some of those PS1 FF games if Sony would hurry up and add PS1 support to the Vita. FF7 on the go would be awesome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mill Village posted:

I'd go for some of those PS1 FF games if Sony would hurry up and add PS1 support to the Vita. FF7 on the go would be awesome.

PS1 support on the PSP was largely an accident thanks to the PSP using a processor (a MIPS III based R4000 variant) that was backward compatible with the PS1's version of the original MIPS R2000 (also used in the PS2 for I/O and PS1 emulation). All that has to be emulated is sound and video. Getting them going on the Vita will take a while since they'll have to write a whole new emulator to run them and it will have to emulate everything.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
FF4 at that price worth it for someone who have never played it?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RadicalR posted:

FF4 at that price worth it for someone who have never played it?

FF4 is quite good, and at that price it's the cheapest version there is.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 1, 2014

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Papercut posted:

that four sword attack isn't even that hard to dodge, if you make sure you're always stood in the same place when he does it then you can just find out which spot to safely jump to and do that every time by trial and error.

Also, I'm right at the end of this game now and I think a good tip for virtually any boss is to be very patient with it. I found myself trying to attack the bosses when I thought they were open, only to take some damage back. Sometimes you're doing this and you think it's okay because you dealt way more than you took, but usually you'll end up dying. Sometimes you do have to wait a while to get the chance to attack, but it'll save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run if you do

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Mill Village posted:

I'd also love for them to release Tactics on the Euro PSN network at some point this century, it's one of the very few games in the series I haven't played which is bonkers because i've played both Tactics Advance games

EDIT: Also, I just restarted Star Ocean 4 on PS3, took a little look at the trophy list...it requires you to play it through at least four times, get all 900 trophies and I imagine savescum for different character endings, that's a lot of work even for a JRPG, and one game that could have done with being revised using ideas from Nier and FFXIII-2 (NG+ starting halfway through the game, restarting specific event gates) Either of those things should be in every JRPG that feels the need to have multiple endings at the end of a 40 hour game

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 21, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I just finished another playthrough of Breath of Fire 1-4. Definitely my favorite RPG series of all time. I also made a Youtube series of 1 and 2 and set them to 4 and 3's soundtracks, respectively. I'm quite happy with the results.

Playlist links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOxbeONJHGo&list=PLCECA0D8D9EBADB2B&feature=mh_lolz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDBmJUNV0kI&list=PLB5F837F22AA61EF9&feature=mh_lolz

I guess you could say it stems from my wishes for updated releases of 1 and 2.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SO4 doesn't actually have multiple endings, just extra clips you get if a character likes you or something.

gently caress SO4 by the way.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Could I get some opinions on Planescape: Torment? I've never played a crpg before and I need to fix that. Is it a good place to start?

sponges fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 21, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Jesto posted:

So how are you supposed to play Pier Solar if you don't have a Sega Genesis and a Sega CD?

I'm guessing the answer is 'You don't'? :geno:

You just need a Genesis. You CAN burn the CD audio and throw it in a Sega CD but the game works without it. So either you buy a genesis or you don't play it.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Douche Bag posted:

Could I get some opinions on Planescape: Torment? I've never played a crpg before and I need to fix that. Is it a good place to start?

Great game. Play away! It's pretty difficult at times though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Douche Bag posted:

Honestly, no IMO. The thing about Planescape is that while it has a fantastic plot with memorable characters and meaningful dialogue choices, the actual gameplay leaves a lot too be desired. If you play for say an hour, you might spend that entire time just reading dialog without even having so much as a single battle. And when the battles do come they're painfully easy and actually rather pointless. Maybe that's what you're looking for but I'd say that the Baldur's Gate series is a much better starting point for cRPGs as its a nice mix of plot and gameplay.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Douche Bag posted:

It might be. The thing with Torment is it's pretty much the clunkiest, least-refined game of its era except maybe Baldur's Gate 1, which you'll never have to play anyways because there are mods that port it to BG2's engine.

So it's a good starting point in that, if you ever want to play Torment without being horribly frustrated, you should do it before you play anything made since then. That said, Volitaire isn't wrong either.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Douche Bag posted:

Baldur's Gate is a good balance of combat and story, Icewind Dale is light on story and heavy on combat, while Planescape Torment is VERY, VERY story heavy. Also, if you're able to play PS:T's evil path without feeling a modicum of guilt, I sincerely hope you pick somewhere other than Malaysia or Germany when you begin your serial killing spree.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are there any recent squad-based turn-based games out for the PC that include unit customisation and research? Basically I want to play X-com without actually playing X-com. There was Chaos Gate a few years back but I can't get that to run for poo poo, and trying to play UFO Defence just gives me a headache for some reason.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Pierson posted:

Are there any recent squad-based turn-based games out for the PC that include unit customisation and research?

It's not recent at all, but if you can somehow find a copy of Silent Storm you will literally have X-Com World War 2 + skill trees + demolition and explosion physics + delightful European accents. It's very rough and ready but I come back to it every year.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pierson posted:

Are there any recent squad-based turn-based games out for the PC that include unit customisation and research? Basically I want to play X-com without actually playing X-com. There was Chaos Gate a few years back but I can't get that to run for poo poo, and trying to play UFO Defence just gives me a headache for some reason.

I asked something kind of similar earlier and nobody even replied. :smith:

The genre is dead. Either you get blank stares or people tell you to play Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm. There are a couple of in-development games that might fit the bill (Banner Saga, MechWarrior Tactics, Firaxis's X-Com) but they're all either a long way off or incomplete matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jesto posted:

So how are you supposed to play Pier Solar if you don't have a Sega Genesis and a Sega CD?

I'm guessing the answer is 'You don't'? :geno:

Yeah, it's kind of a shame. They created something that, by all appearances is really excellent and their audience is butt-small. These guys are so skilled they should be creating a digital version for Steam or something. Hobbyists are weird sometimes.