Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm legitimately sad the voice actress for Chakwas is so good and yet again she got asked back to do nothing but sit around getting hammered in the med-bay. (I'm not even halfway through the game so I hope I'm wrong about this.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

DerDestroyer posted:

I'm not. The game needs to have dedicated friend characters that you can't romance.

I agree, but Vega's just so strangely charming, I can't help but want to romance him anyway. :allears:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Wasn't he supposed to be The Gay Option, or did that all get shifted over to Cortez?

Believe so. I don't think anyone gets to romance Vega sadly.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Javik's arc was undeniably cool, he had two moments that were very moving (meeting people on the Citadel and helping Liara with her grief), but I have to say his initial shtick was also quite awesome in its way:

That screenshot is dope as hell.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

For me, Vega defied expectations - I was fearing Jacob 2.0, instead got someone with a bit of personality - but I still wouldn't class him as "awesome". He had great banters, sure, but as a character he wasn't intriguing or fascinating - he starts with the whole regret/death wish issue that felt promising, but it got buried really really fast and his next 'big' character development moment was... wondering if he should sign up for N7. Whoop-de-doop. Meanwhile, Ashley almost got murdered by me as a Spectre, and every other squadmate was dealing with the potential future of their whole species (above and beyond the whole galactic threat thing).

I like you and all, James, but when we're at the point where people like me and Garrus get saluted by generals even though we're barely in the chain of command at all, worrying about whether you'll be able to go from N6 to N7 isn't exactly going to keep me up at night.

e: haha I realised I was reading that last paragraph in Jennifer Hale's voice.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 20, 2012

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Count Choculitis posted:

I agree, but Vega's just so strangely charming, I can't help but want to romance him anyway. :allears:

Yeah, it's a shame. I feel like there should be a romance with him just because there are no romance options (literally none!) for straight women if Kaidan is dead and you didn't romance Garrus in ME2. Even from the ME2 romances, Jacob dumped you between games and doesn't wanna get back together. Thane is still pretty cool, but he died. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Can someone spoil me as to whether Thane has a quest before the Citadel attack midpoint I keep hearing about, because all he's doing is moping around the hospital and he was Loyal in my import.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, it's a shame. I feel like there should be a romance with him just because there are no romance options (literally none!) for straight women if Kaidan is dead and you didn't romance Garrus in ME2. Even from the ME2 romances, Jacob dumped you between games and doesn't wanna get back together. Thane is still pretty cool, but he died. :(

Yep. :( MaleShep has two more romance options than femShep - both get Liara and Allers and either Cortez/Traynor, but femShep lost Jacob/Thane while manShep gained Kaidan and kept all his ME2 love interests. Bit of a bummer. Not that Garrus and Kaidan aren't perfect, of course, but still.

precision posted:

Can someone spoil me as to whether Thane has a quest before the Citadel attack midpoint I keep hearing about, because all he's doing is moping around the hospital and he was Loyal in my import.

Sadly no, but talking to him then is still important.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

No, Thane is just there to talk to.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Charlie Mopps posted:

Aria is awesome and i will be really disappointed if she wont be a squad member for the Omega DLC.

So i'll be disappointed by Bioware again. :negative:

Aria is just smug and dumb. All she does is sit around acting like a badass. She thinks she has Shepard under her thumb, and you never get the option to just tell her to gently caress off. Only reason I talked to her in ME3 was becuase I was hoping you could finally do that but alas.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

tadashi posted:

The thing that annoys me is how squad members like to start talking right as I'm about to do something important like walk into a cut-scene or interact with something which cancels their dialogue. I missed a lot on Thessia between Javik and Liara thanks to this.

Yeah this is my biggest beef with it. I'm never certain if someone is finished having a conversation with Shep, so I just have to stand there for a little while to be sure. Several times I've clicked a person again before the conversation finishes and don't get to hear the whole thing. Then things get cut off on missions as you said. Since I'm a completionist whore who needs to hear everything, you can see where this can be a problem.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Internet Kraken posted:

Aria is just smug and dumb. All she does is sit around acting like a badass. She thinks she has Shepard under her thumb, and you never get the option to just tell her to gently caress off. Only reason I talked to her in ME3 was becuase I was hoping you could finally do that but alas.
If she manages to get the better of Shepard like that, I wouldn't call her dumb.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Count Choculitis posted:

manShep gained Kaidan

Wait wait what?! Please tell me that isn't a typo because if so I might have to postpone my FemRenShep for a GayShep!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

precision posted:

Wait wait what?! Please tell me that isn't a typo because if so I might have to postpone my FemRenShep for a GayShep!
It's true. You could also do a GayShep with Cortez.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

precision posted:

Not a typo! GayShep is a go! :)

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I fail to see how Aria has the one up on Shepard in any way. Sure, Shepard runs a few errands, does a few favors, but you're doing that for everyone. Shepard needs help, Aria has resources. But at the end of the day, winning the war is not hinged upon Aria's band of mercs. The way I see it, given the circumstances, Shepard could just walk up and shoot Aria right in the middle of Purgatory, mumble something about Spectres and reaper indoctrination and walk away. Sure, the Asari councilor would get pissy, but getting pissy is what Councilors are professionals at. While if she tried to off Shepard, the Asari might let it slide, and she'd win the batarians favor, but she'd be on everyone else's poo poo list permanently.

In short, she just oozes smugness and there needed to be an option to tell her to just gently caress right off.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Just a random question, but how many of you don't take the investigate like options on the left side? I notice a lot of you weren't able to do the final boss dialogue option because you missed one, but it feels odd to me that people would intentionally miss easy content. Why don't you click those dialogue options?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Viperix posted:

I fail to see how Aria has the one up on Shepard in any way. Sure, Shepard runs a few errands, does a few favors, but you're doing that for everyone. Shepard needs help, Aria has resources. But at the end of the day, winning the war is not hinged upon Aria's band of mercs. The way I see it, given the circumstances, Shepard could just walk up and shoot Aria right in the middle of Purgatory, mumble something about Spectres and reaper indoctrination and walk away. Sure, the Asari councilor would get pissy, but getting pissy is what Councilors are professionals at. While if she tried to off Shepard, the Asari might let it slide, and she'd win the batarians favor, but she'd be on everyone else's poo poo list permanently.

In short, she just oozes smugness and there needed to be an option to tell her to just gently caress right off.

Aria gets exactly what she wants no matter what Shep does. Also, she's voiced by Carrie Anne Moss, so she gets bonus points. Smug or not, she owns bones. :colbert:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Viperix posted:

She used Shep to get what she wanted. Sure, if she gets too far out of line after this whole Reaper thing is over with, Shep might gently caress up Aria's day just as bad as the Reapers' day, but for now, she won. I guess.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Davincie posted:

Just a random question, but how many of you don't take the investigate like options on the left side? I notice a lot of you weren't able to do the final boss dialogue option because you missed one, but it feels odd to me that people would intentionally miss easy content. Why don't you click those dialogue options?

Sometimes the investigate lines are about things that I didn't think were worth pursuing.

Like, if you were talking to someone who lost his whole family to the Reapers, saw them rise up as Husks and then eat his dog, and the investigate line was like "Wow that must have been rough." Well no poo poo Shepard! That's you're contribution? Just move on to the next stage of the conversation and stop embarrassing yourself!

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
I thought shep got in a few burns at Aria's expense, like the "Seems like you've got your plate full, I'll get out of your hair"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davincie posted:

I always look and see what they are, but only actually click on the ones that sound interesting/might lead to information I need because SHUT UP I'M ROLEPLAYING.

My first ME2 playthrough I clicked every single dialogue option and it felt like I was just going through the motions, checking off items on a list. To be fair, the incidental dialogue in this one is written much better.

For example, my favorite line of dialogue in the entire game so far:

Liara's "father" calling humanity "Anthropocentric bag of dicks."

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Where can you meet that person? I never saw that person, and thought I was pretty thorough. Tell me it's not in the friggin' From Ashes DLC.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Where can you meet that person? I never saw that person, and thought I was pretty thorough. Tell me it's not in the friggin' From Ashes DLC.
No, she appears behind the bar on the Citadel Presidium, close to where Liara sits during the first part of the game, sometime after the Cerberus attack if I recall.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rotinaj posted:

That person is a bartender on the Citadel.

edit: beaten but with wrong info - you can definitely meet that person BEFORE the attack.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Well jeez, tough competition there :mmmhmm:
That is true, to be honest he shines so much for me because I find Liara a bit dull, Garrus is a legend in the making, Tali is awesome, EDI can go launch herself out of the airlock, Ashley can gently caress off and that leaves Vega? He's a cool guy at least.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh. gently caress. I searched and searched that area, looking for that person without knowing that person was... Well, that person. I thought either I glitched that person out of existence or didn't do a quest to make that person spawn.

I read on the Mass Effect wikia that you have to do the Biotic Interfaces collection quest off the Grissom Academy mission to get that person to spawn, and coulda sworn that I did. Ah well. When I go through the game again as Adept Lando Calrissian Shepard, I'll try to make sure I find 'im.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Flipswitch posted:

That is true, to be honest he shines so much for me because I find Liara a bit dull, Garrus is a legend in the making, Tali is awesome, EDI can go launch herself out of the airlock, Ashley can gently caress off and that leaves Vega? He's a cool guy at least.

You like Tali and hate EDI? Is it Opposite Day? Sexbot body aside, EDI is fantastic.

Also Ashley is really cool in this one. :colbert:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Flipswitch posted:

Vega? He's a cool guy at least.

You misspelled "benchwarmer."

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

rotinaj posted:

I read on the Mass Effect wikia that you have to do the Biotic Interfaces collection quest off the Grissom Academy mission to get that person to spawn, and coulda sworn that I did. Ah well. When I go through the game again as Adept Lando Calrissian Shepard, I'll try to make sure I find 'im.

I think a lot of people missed it, I know I did my first time through. That (and several other quests where the timing/setup is tricky) is now in the OP:

quote:

Matriarch Aethyta (the asari bartender from Illium in ME2) can be found on the Citadel at the Apollo restaurant in the Commons, but only after completing Citadel: Biotic Amp Interfaces, which you hear about in Huerta Memorial Hospital. This must be done before Priority: Tuchanka and the events that follow it.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

precision posted:

I always look and see what they are, but only actually click on the ones that sound interesting/might lead to information I need because SHUT UP I'M ROLEPLAYING.

My first ME2 playthrough I clicked every single dialogue option and it felt like I was just going through the motions, checking off items on a list. To be fair, the incidental dialogue in this one is written much better.

How/when/where can you meet up with Liara's 'father'????

Edit: nevermind, should read all the posts before replying...

Endormoon
Mar 30, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Aria keeps you from I assume getting date raped in Purgatory if you pass out at the bar by the dance floor so she is okay in my book.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I thought that, at some point during the development of ME3, they said you'd get to play as a marine stranded on Earth? Was that just a wild rumor?

precision posted:

That person is a bartender on the Citadel.

edit: beaten but with wrong info - you can definitely meet that person BEFORE the attack.

I just think it's cool that she's the Matriarch bartender from ME2. They must have planned that out.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 20, 2012

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

tadashi posted:

I thought that, at some point during the development of ME3, they said you'd get to play as a marine stranded on Earth? Was that just a wild rumor?

The teaser trailer for ME3 was Major Coates holed up in Big Ben sniping at a marauder. So yeah, people were like "is that the new protagonist????".

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Count Choculitis posted:

I think a lot of people missed it, I know I did my first time through. That (and several other quests where the timing/setup is tricky) is now in the OP:
Ah that's it then, I managed to find her in my first playthrough as well, but wasn't quite sure anymore when - I just remembered that she appeared at some point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

I'm legitimately sad the voice actress for Chakwas is so good and yet again she got asked back to do nothing but sit around getting hammered in the med-bay. (I'm not even halfway through the game so I hope I'm wrong about this.)

Seriously, it kinda annoyed me how little they gave Chakwas to do. In particular (late game) after Thessia. Shepard just suffered the biggest failure of his career and practically every other character has special conversations with him about it, from helping Liara to getting reassured by Garrus. But Chakwas just has the generic "looking over some charts" line. :( She's among the ones who've known Shepard the longest, you'd think she'd at least have something to say there.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You misspelled "benchwarmer."
I've never taken him on an away mission, in my mind hes the fitness instructor on the Normandy.

precision posted:

You like Tali and hate EDI? Is it Opposite Day? Sexbot body aside, EDI is fantastic.

Also Ashley is really cool in this one. :colbert:
Ashey was useless in ME1, and bringing her in and sexing her up hasn't done her any favours, the character is still poo poo. EDI I don't mind but the body thing is just dumb, character is decent though.

Just completed the game too, I picked the Synthesis ending, as it seemed most fitting for my main Shepard playthrough, got to be said though, the choices in general aren't an easy one. I just couldn't stand blowing up the Geth, and controlling the space robot lobsters didn't really make sense. I don't think the ending was as bad as some people think, but it's very very lackluster and doesn't really bring the series to an actual close.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

rotinaj posted:

She used Shep to get what she wanted. Sure, if she gets too far out of line after this whole Reaper thing is over with, Shep might gently caress up Aria's day just as bad as the Reapers' day, but for now, she won. I guess.

Kind of hard with Shep either dead, the Mass Effect relays destroyed or shes dead since she was on the citidal when the reapers took it.

I just want a one night stand with her screw team mates that bitch owes me at least one ride on the blue oyster cult.

Edit. Bold tags are not spoiler tags.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Android Blues posted:

The teaser trailer for ME3 was Major Coates holed up in Big Ben sniping at a marauder. So yeah, people were like "is that the new protagonist????".

In other news, do not look up Major Coats in the ME3 wiki before finishing the game. Massive spoilers. Oops.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Davincie posted:

I usually take all of them but I missed the first couple in this game because I hadn't played ME2 for a year or so and forgot how things worked... hopefully I didn't miss an important one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

tadashi posted:

In other news, do not look up Major Coats in the ME3 wiki before finishing the game. Massive spoilers. Oops.

Aw jeez man, sorry. I forgot people wouldn't know his name.

• Locked thread