Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

That article is poorly-written by a guy who makes claims like "Amazon does not take orders it cannot fill, and it does not wait until the last minute to cancel them without offering any kind of solution." :o: Come on, man, did you read it?

Uh, there's a lot more to the article than that (and yes, cancelling tons of orders placed months ago just a few days before Christmas is a big deal). If you want more context to it then you can dig up the Bestbuy thread that was in GBS for a while. It was pretty fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I agree it's a big deal, you mistook my intent; I was calling bullshit on his suggestion that Amazon doesn't do it, because it happens pretty often.

His underlying suggestion that BB is in rough shape may be accurate, but his presentation is undefendable.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Was there ever a consensus on what software to use over calibre? I don't need anything fancy, just a way to sync books onto my Kindle is totally fine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Only ebook software I know of is calibre.

There's a few add on mods you can use for things like collections, stripping drm, etc.

It's a pretty useful program, just a little weird to start out with. The learning curve is a little heavy, but once you get the program set up to the stuff ya want, it's pretty amazing.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

bionictom posted:

briss?
I wish I'd know this existed before I uploaded all my ebook PDFs to Kindle PDS. :doh:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
On my Sony PRS-650, I've always just stored everything on the SD card, but "they" say the battery runs out faster if there are too many files on the SD card. I don't want anything on the internal storage if I can help it, because God Forbid I have to hard-reset, welp, its time to wait 40 minuted for my 1,000 files to get put back on there. Does anyone know how many files in an SD card is "too many"?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Quad posted:

On my Sony PRS-650, I've always just stored everything on the SD card, but "they" say the battery runs out faster if there are too many files on the SD card. I don't want anything on the internal storage if I can help it, because God Forbid I have to hard-reset, welp, its time to wait 40 minuted for my 1,000 files to get put back on there. Does anyone know how many files in an SD card is "too many"?

I really doubt the number of files on the SD card has any effect on the battery life, unless the PRS-650 indexes and re-indexes them constantly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Nook app for Android was updated. The main reason why this is worth mentioning here is it opens up access to graphic novel purchases beyond B&N's two tablet devices.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nook-android-latest-update-brings-access-barnes-noble%E2%80%99s-collection-comics-graphic-novels-and-manga

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Kindle questions

If both of my parents buy Kindles, is it possible for them to buy one book and both read it, without swapping devices? Like is there a way to have one account with two different Kindles registered to it, so either device can download that book to it, or would each device have to buy its own copy?

Also, if you get the "special offers" Kindle, can you remove ads from it down the road by paying the difference?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 14, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Kindle questions

If both of my parents buy Kindles, is it possible for them to buy one book and both read it, without swapping devices? Like is there a way to have one account with two different Kindles registered to it, so either device can download that book to it, or would each device have to buy its own copy?

Also, if you get the "special offers" Kindle, can you remove ads from it down the road by paying the difference?

Yes, you can register as many Kindles or Kindle apps to a single account as you want (but they can one-click buy things so keep it to family/good friends only). Most books have a limit where you can only have a book on 3-5 devices at one time. Be sure to turn off the sync feature.

Yes. I think it's $30 to remove the ads from the special offers Kindles.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Kindle questions

The easiest way is to register both Kindles to the same account, but turn off syncing otherwise the books won't stay in the correct place while reading.

If they are on different accounts you can loan DRMed books using this method and if they aren't DRMed you can just put them on via email or USB.

Yes, you can remove the ads by paying the difference. It's right there in the Manage your Kindle section of your Amazon account.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Just a heads up to everyone:

Amazon just sent out a facebook notice saying that they will be offering $10 gift cards for $5 on Special Offer Kindles. This offer will go out on Tuesday, March 20th.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Just a heads up to everyone:

Amazon just sent out a facebook notice saying that they will be offering $10 gift cards for $5 on Special Offer Kindles. This offer will go out on Tuesday, March 20th.

I believe this will also be available via AmazonLocal as well, if you don't have a special offers kindle.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Anyone ever run into a bug with the Kindle where it cuts off the bottom of PDF documents? I'm missing the last two lines on every page of a book. I tried downloading the .mobi version instead, but the original typesetting looks much better.

e: I got around it by manually cropping with Briss, but still, irksome.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 20, 2012

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Lazyhound posted:

Anyone ever run into a bug with the Kindle where it cuts off the bottom of PDF documents? I'm missing the last two lines on every page of a book. I tried downloading the .mobi version instead, but the original typesetting looks much better.

e: I got around it by manually cropping with Briss, but still, irksome.

Is the PDF k2pdfopt-imized?

I hate how limited mobi is compared to epub, which retains fidelity to the original much better :|

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Do any Canadian e-inkers have a preference for Kindle vs Kobos? We're about to splurge on one or the other, but we're not sure which direction to go.

\/Rock on. Thanks!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 21, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

melon cat posted:

Do any Canadian e-inkers have a preference for Kindle vs Kobos? We're about to splurge on one or the other, but we're not sure which direction to go.

Kindle wins hands down. Page turns are faster, the battery lasts longer, the build quality is MUCH better, and the library is much larger. The only downside is that you can't borrow books from a library.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Is the PDF k2pdfopt-imized?
Nope.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Dice Dice Baby posted:

k2pdfopt

I was unaware of this tool. Great find.

For those unaware: http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Hell yes, the Android Kindle app just updated to sync personal documents including last read page.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

Hell yes, the Android Kindle app just updated to sync personal documents including last read page.

I've never even opened the app on my phone before today, so what does this mean, exactly? There's no way to sync all the books on my Kindle to the app, right? Only the ones I've bought from Amazon? Either they're classed (personal documents and non-Amazon books, I mean) as two different things or I'm a dummy (possibly both).

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

spixxor posted:

I've never even opened the app on my phone before today, so what does this mean, exactly? There's no way to sync all the books on my Kindle to the app, right? Only the ones I've bought from Amazon? Either they're classed (personal documents and non-Amazon books, I mean) as two different things or I'm a dummy (possibly both).

Any of the books you emailed to your kindle through amazon personal documents will now sync to your phone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_pdoc_main_short_us?nodeId=200767340

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So Nook rooting discussion doesn't go in this thread, correct?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Fuzz posted:

So Nook rooting discussion doesn't go in this thread, correct?

Yep, use the general rooting thread.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Can people give me a recommendation as far as regular Kindle vs. Kindle Touch? I've never owned an eReader before and the only thing I've gotten from reviews is a lot of mixed messages with some people saying the touch interface is awesome and others saying its clunky and to definitely stick with the physical button interface.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I personally prefer the non–touch kindle simply for the reason that responsiveness is what makes touch interfaces work well, and e–ink just isn't there yet. On the other hand the battery is bigger in the tough version; though I've only had to plug mine in four times since I got it on Christmas.

I heard someone complain that you can't page forward if you hold it in your left hand, but that sounds like a huge thing for amazon to overlook and it's more likely that person was overlooking something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

80% of the Touch display is dedicated to "page forward." If you can't reach that with your left hand you have to be a midget.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Trisk posted:

Can people give me a recommendation as far as regular Kindle vs. Kindle Touch? I've never owned an eReader before and the only thing I've gotten from reviews is a lot of mixed messages with some people saying the touch interface is awesome and others saying its clunky and to definitely stick with the physical button interface.

Touch gives you more battery life and the ability to do audio. Personally I have no problem with the e-ink touch mechanics, but it is a matter of preference. I like little things, like how I can look up a word just by holding my finger on it for a few seconds.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Trisk posted:

If you're the type that wants to use the Kindle near watery areas and will need to put it in some sort of plastic bag, keep in mind this sort of setup doesn't work well with the Touch model. The Touch will pick up any sort of touch on the screen, meaning the bag itself can set off various touch features.

I was looking into this issue myself and found their were a lot of disappointed tub-readers out there when the Touch first came out. Many assumed the Touch would only respond to fingertip motions, rather than anything that happens to brush against the screen.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you're the type that wants to use the Kindle near watery areas and will need to put it in some sort of plastic bag, keep in mind this sort of setup doesn't work well with the Touch model. The Touch will pick up any sort of touch on the screen, meaning the bag itself can set off various touch features.

I was looking into this issue myself and found their were a lot of disappointed tub-readers out there when the Touch first came out. Many assumed the Touch would only respond to fingertip motions, rather than anything that happens to brush against the screen.

I could see a special waterproof case with a see-through elastic skin on the front so you can turn pages

And it could float or something, I don't know

Somebody makes this and sell it to me

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I could see a special waterproof case with a see-through elastic skin on the front so you can turn pages

And it could float or something, I don't know

Somebody makes this and sell it to me

Any eReader with page turn buttons + those vacuum seal freezer bags and you're golden.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Mu Zeta posted:

80% of the Touch display is dedicated to "page forward." If you can't reach that with your left hand you have to be a midget.

I swap out hands to read when I'm doing long stretches, and found the kindle touch hard to use with my left hand, so I returned it and got the kindle sans keyboard. I still get through at least a couple decent sized books on a charge, and I hugely prefer the side buttons for page turning. As long as you're not taking notes or doing a lot of text entry, I don't see much of an argument for going with the kindle touch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I know they are late and because of that many people went all :filez: and such, but no mention at all in this thread that the Harry Potter ebooks are now out?

They're actually only $4 more than the paperback books (on amazon) for the whole collection which is probably the best we can hope for on pricing.

I have to say, the Pottermore interface is actually pretty slick. I still maintain it's unnecessary since it annoys me to have to register for a new account for something, but they are handling it far better than I thought they would.

I thought they would just dump you a raw file of your ereader's format of choice and be done with it. But you actually get to select what bookstore you want (Sony, Google Play, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble) and link your account. After you link your account, you can send the book to the account and then it behaves just like any other book you purchased though that service. I sent mine to my Barnes and Noble account and now it shows up under my library in my Barnes and Noble account.

You get 8 downloads per book. So, I ended up sending mine to my B&N account, my Google Play account, and downloaded the epub by itself (you have that option). So, now I have 5 left. I have confirmed that the epubs are DRM free by loading them into Caliber afterwards.

So, it's an unnecessary layer to go through, but they handled the major services very well to the point where normal people don't have to worry about learning to sideload books.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 28, 2012

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

BlueLaser posted:

Touch gives you more battery life and the ability to do audio. Personally I have no problem with the e-ink touch mechanics, but it is a matter of preference. I like little things, like how I can look up a word just by holding my finger on it for a few seconds.

I agree. I've used both and the Touch is the way to go.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

bull3964 posted:

So, I know they are late and because of that many people went all :filez: and such, but no mention at all in this thread that the Harry Potter ebooks are now out?

There's been a fair bit of discussion about it in the TBB eReader thread. I'm glad to hear the Pottermore site isn't that bad, and that sending it to your account on B&N/Amazon/whatever only uses one of your downloads. Also great to hear that the epub is DRM free!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I rang Amazon on Monday about my Kindle's habit of not turning on, even through hard reset, unless connected to the USB. And that it had been periodically restarting from the progress bar screen when it was idle and untouched (and wireless was off so it was not updating).
It had also been forgetting what I was reading and what the most recently added books were. Along with draining itself while idle, again with wireless off, and taking 6+ hours to charge.

They had a replacement with me Tuesday morning, which was nice.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just got my Kindle today, and it works so much better than the old Bookeen Cybook I had years ago. Just about the only quirk I have with it is the book listing. It's a little cluttered and no cover images, but otherwise this thing works great. Refreshes SO much faster than the old Cybook.

And now instead of it displaying "Bloody Hedgehog's Kindle" at the top of the screen, it's been renamed to the DataJIGGER Mk.IV .

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Heh. I name everything "Skynet". Never know which one of your kids may grow up to be President. :awesomelon:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I thought they would just dump you a raw file of your ereader's format of choice and be done with it. But you actually get to select what bookstore you want (Sony, Google Play, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble) and link your account. After you link your account, you can send the book to the account and then it behaves just like any other book you purchased though that service. I sent mine to my Barnes and Noble account and now it shows up under my library in my Barnes and Noble account.
Interesting. That seems like it would require the bookstores to cooperate but I don't really see any reason they would do that, unless they are getting a cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

smackfu posted:

Interesting. That seems like it would require the bookstores to cooperate but I don't really see any reason they would do that, unless they are getting a cut.

They are cooperating because they don't want to be the only eBook service that doesn't have native support for Harry Potter ebooks.